0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    my priority was a non-nonsense, incredibly reliable, no-frills engine, which should be a diesel
    Which is precisely why the 1HZ is still Toyota's standard issue powerplant for UN vehicles. It's a never say die, go anywhere, take a lickin' n' keep on runnin' kind of engine that can be repaired easily and anywhere, at least til it gets you home. No fancy power adding doodads on this "khotta engine" to gum up the works :p.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie View Post
    Which is precisely why the 1HZ is still Toyota's standard issue powerplant for UN vehicles. It's a never say die, go anywhere, take a lickin' n' keep on runnin' kind of engine that can be repaired easily and anywhere, at least til it gets you home. No fancy power adding doodads on this "khotta engine" to gum up the works :p.
    POINT Well Presented ...
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post

@ Fouad, just to clarify here, All three (1FZ, 2UZ and 1HD-FTE) produce lots more torque even at idle (lowest being 1FZ with 315NM at mere 650rpm) compared to 1HZ peak torque (285NM) which is at 2200rpm! The attached graphs are very helpful

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 379725

The above all may become completely irrelevant if you consider going forced induction on your 1HZ!
    My goodness, Doc! THAT quoted post of mine SHOULD have read "catering for more low-end torque, as opposed to a need for straight-out, straight-line, acceleration and top speed"

Hmmm. A turbocharged, intercooled, monstrous 1HZ...without any fancy electronic fuel injection whatchamacallits.

Hmmm.

You're a VERY bad influence, NN.

No wonder I like you!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You're absolutely right, JJ.

This is also the reason why the 1HZ is the poison of choice in Series 70 TLC rovers and pickups across the entire range in use in the Army, Air Force, Navy, and FC. Something which I've noticed even in the NEWER ones.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default FJ25? Which variant was that?

Whats the difference between FJ25 & FJ40?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2512182387 4837a19ffb b

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2512181621 1c8646e317 b
    When Nothing else do the Job "ҐЄຊ๓ પฑḭ₥φ౸" has the solution. http://www.facebook.com/team.unimog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Basharatu View Post
    Whats the difference between FJ25 & FJ40?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2512182387 4837a19ffb b

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2512181621 1c8646e317 b
    The FJ25 (from the 20 Series of Land Cruisers) was actually the forerunner of the 40 series. It is from THIS beast, that the FJ40 eventually evolved. Thank heavens!

A brief account of the 20 series TLCs (of which the FJ25 was a part), is appended below (source: Wikipedia)

20 Series

<table class="infobox hproduct" style="width:22em; width:25em" cellspacing="5"> <caption class="fn" style="">20 Series</caption> <tbody><tr class=""> <td colspan="2" class="" style="text-align:center;">The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 250px FJ25 Land Cruiser</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Production</th> <td class="" style="">1955–1960</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Assembly</th> <td class="" style="">Toyota City, Japan (ARACO)</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Body style</th> <td class="category" style="">2-door Softtop
    2-door Hardtop
    2-door pickup truck
    4-door Station wagon</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Layout</th> <td class="" style="">FR layout</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Engine</th> <td class="" style="">Petrol:
    3.4 L I6 B petrol
    3.9 L I6 F petrol</td> </tr> <tr class=""> <th scope="row" style="text-align:left;">Wheelbase</th> <td class="" style="">2,285 mm (90.0 in)
    2,430 mm (95.7 in)
    2,650 mm (104.3 in)</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    • 1955 - The Second generation, 20 Series was introduced. It was designed to have more civilian appeal than the BJ for export reasons. It also had more stylish bodywork and a better ride thanks to longer four-plate leaf springs which had been adapted from the Toyota Light Truck. It had a more powerful 135 PS (99 kW) 3.9 L six-cylinder Type F gasoline engine, but still only had a three speed gearbox. The interior of the vehicles were made more comfortable by moving the engine 120 mm (4.7 in) forward. The 20 Series still had no low range, but it had synchromesh on the third and fourth gears.<sup class="Template-Fact" style="white-space:nowrap;">[citation needed]</sup>
    • 1958 - The first Station wagon Land Cruiser was introduced with an even longer 2,650 mm (104.3 in) wheelbase (the FJ35V; wagon and van). The FJ25 production started in Brazil being the first Toyota vehicle built outside Japan.
    • 1957 - A 4-door Station Wagon was added as the FJ35V. Land Cruisers were first imported into Australia by B&D Motors as FJ25/28 cab chassis with Australian made bodies.<sup id="cite_ref-Davis_5-0" class="reference">[6]</sup> They were the first Japanese cars to be regularly exported to the country<sup id="cite_ref-6" class="reference">[7]</sup> and a few were initially used in the Snowy Mountains Hydroelectric Scheme, by sub contractor Theiss Constructions.<sup id="cite_ref-7" class="reference">[8]</sup>

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I agree that 1HZ is a tried and test formula for over 20 years (which some may translate as dated technology). A major reason for having same dependable low maintainance engine in all the fleets of UN, other international organizations and Pak forces as well is cost saving.

Don't want to start a debate here......................but every thing about Phantom is extreme.....................so it would be almost a contradiction justifying the need of a Khotta engine!

In anycase a reliable and dependable beast is already present (TLC FZJ79) in the stable where this Phantom is headed!

I wont say anymore because the post above from Fouad just said I am still in his good books!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Don't want to start a debate here......................but every thing about Phantom is extreme.....................so it would be almost a contradiction justifying the need of a Khotta engine!

In anycase a reliable and dependable beast is already present (TLC FZJ79) in the stable where this Phantom is headed!

I wont say anymore because the post above from Fouad just said I am still in his good books!
    Seriously, Boss...the 1HZ engine I have is a REALLY beautiful specimen. I mean...like a REALLY special piece, that is virtually brand new.

If I were to bolt on a turbo (my mechanic tells me it's perfectly possible, at an addition of under PKR 100K), would it truly make THAT much of a difference, to the grunt of the beast? This must be borne in mind that I'm against using a fuel-injected oil burner. If any modification were to be made, I'd prefer doing it to the 1HZ rather than go for a 1HD-FTE.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I geniunely agree with NN. Every part of the FJ is extreme now, It should sound like a V8 (big foots) and not taka taka taka diesel and that too naturally aspirated.

1HZ can be turboed anytime and SAFARI make good turbo charger kits for these engines but that will again compromise on realibilty and durability.

1HDFTE wiring is little complicated but with some tuning (like I did, increase the injector duty cycle, feed more fuel based on specific rpms) and man you get tremendious outputs.

Is it same Zaman Haji that has shops in Shuba Peshawar?

All you need is low end torque, 1HDFTE & 2UZ are both flagship engines from Toyota and deliver good low end torque. I incline towards 2UZ more as you get the v8 sound, as realiable as 1HDFTE if not more and you can anytime fit a Supercharger
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

Saaduk, I think I know you from Facebook, we had that discussion about 1UZs and gear ratios! Until the price of diesel went through the roof, the 1HD-FTE had always been my dream engine. It reminds me of the insane potential of the inline 6 Cummins turbodiesels used in Dodge Ram HDs, both the older 12 valve and later 24 valve versions. I was always told though that it's a very heavy engine and it would make for an extremely front heavy jeep. Having gone the 1UZ route, I think maintaining proper balance and keeping overall weight low might make for a more fun vehicle.

Glad to see you here brother. I have kept both 1HDFTE and 2UZ even if the price of diesel is skyhigh it still gives better km/l so you get more economy. the 1hz is as heavy as 1hd (excluding turbo) and the performance output difference is day and night.

By the way how is your 1UZ monster running??
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Fouad, I have absolutely nothing against 1HZ, I have driven it and its a fine engine. Sometime ago a HZJ78 trooper slipped out of my hand, I even nearly bought a brand new HZJ79 2008. But now I am very happy with my NPP.

I merely didn't entirely agree with the reasons for justification.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just wanna say one thing... the passionate input everyone here is putting in on the phantom is inspiring... will be watching this space and keep learning from each and every post...
    My heart is a Flat 4!! 62' VW Type-1, 76' VW Sunroof SuperBeetle... To me my VolksWagen, to you yours...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    I geniunely agree with NN. Every part of the FJ is extreme now, It should sound like a V8 (big foots) and not taka taka taka diesel and that too naturally aspirated.
    I thought no-one would even LISTEN to the sounds. Just the sight would be enough! Clearly...I'm mistaken! Truth be told...I'm actually quite fond of the 1HZ sound. ESPECIALLY with the exhaust solution I have "in the pipeline" (pardon the pun)!

1HZ can be turboed anytime and SAFARI make good turbo charger kits for these engines but that will again compromise on realibilty and durability.
    That sounds good. From a bit of research, I've learnt that (supposedly) Toyota has an OEM turbocharger for the 1HZ that is used in Coasters. Will have to look into the possibility of either of the two options.

1HDFTE wiring is little complicated but with some tuning (like I did, increase the injector duty cycle, feed more fuel based on specific rpms) and man you get tremendious outputs.
    Clearly...NONE of you gentlemen wants me to cut ANY corners at ALL on costs!

Is it same Zaman Haji that has shops in Shuba Peshawar?
    Yes, Saad. The same gentleman has an outlet in Pindi, too.

All you need is low end torque, 1HDFTE & 2UZ are both flagship engines from Toyota and deliver good low end torque. I incline towards 2UZ more as you get the v8 sound, as realiable as 1HDFTE if not more and you can anytime fit a Supercharger
    SEE?! Here's MORE proof that you all are looking to ruin me, financially!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Fouad, I have absolutely nothing against 1HZ, I have driven it and its a fine engine. Sometime ago a HZJ78 trooper slipped out of my hand, I even nearly bought a brand new HZJ79 2008. But now I am very happy with my NPP.

I merely didn't entirely agree with the reasons for justification.
    Doc...with along with your faultless logic and technical know-how, you also bring the opportunity for some humourous banter...which is EQUALLY important (if not more so!).

At the same time, I appreciate EVERY word which people write on here. EVERY SINGLE WORD. Because, to my mind it shows they care (in their own way) about this rebuild...and are contributing to it, in terms of sharing knowledge, expertise, and just plain-ole good wishes. Without that, this would just be a process of hammering metal into shape, and driving the result around. With the presence of friends like you (and others who are rooting for this build)...it's SO much more.

Thanks for being here, friend!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassanazeem View Post
    Just wanna say one thing... the passionate input everyone here is putting in on the phantom is inspiring... will be watching this space and keep learning from each and every post...
    Agreed, Hassan.

Awesome energy, hai na?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Agreed, Hassan.

Awesome energy, hai na?
    Yes!! Very awesome...
    My heart is a Flat 4!! 62' VW Type-1, 76' VW Sunroof SuperBeetle... To me my VolksWagen, to you yours...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Seriously, Boss...the 1HZ engine I have is a REALLY beautiful specimen. I mean...like a REALLY special piece, that is virtually brand new.

If I were to bolt on a turbo (my mechanic tells me it's perfectly possible, at an addition of under PKR 100K), would it truly make THAT much of a difference, to the grunt of the beast? This must be borne in mind that I'm against using a fuel-injected oil burner. If any modification were to be made, I'd prefer doing it to the 1HZ rather than go for a 1HD-FTE.
    Fouad, mechanically injected turbodiesels are a hot favorite with the Aussies. AXT, ASE, and Safari are notable kit manufacturers amongst others. However, they will cost plenty of coin, definitely more so than a 2UZ or 1HD-FTE. On the DYI side, I read about one guy who simply used a 1HD exhaust manifold with a TD05 turbo off a Mitsubishi EVO, and turned the stock 1HZ fuel pump up 3/4 of a turn of the adjustment screw. This "jugaar" certainly sounds doable within 100k PKR. Of course, I would always recommend the addition of an intercooler. Turbodiesels pick up significant power from the cooler, denser intake charge.

I understand your aversion to EFI vehicles though. While getting this 1UZ installed in my brother's CJ7, I have discovered that the learning curve will be steep and the teething troubles fairly nasty. The electrician hasn't exactly followed the factory circuits for hooking up the ECU. The starter and fuel pump prime circuit, and the VSS loop have been bypassed. I know for a fact it will take longer to start, and fuel economy won't be optimal since the ECU will never sense the conditions for decel fuel cut-off. I see myself redoing a lot of this later once I get the vehicle home. In other words, this Jeep ain't goin' out in the sticks anytime soon LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    Glad to see you here brother. I have kept both 1HDFTE and 2UZ even if the price of diesel is skyhigh it still gives better km/l so you get more economy. the 1hz is as heavy as 1hd (excluding turbo) and the performance output difference is day and night.

By the way how is your 1UZ monster running??
    Likewise man! As a matter of fact, we fired the beast up tonight for the first time. Boy did it take some cranking! We must have run a couple of batteries down before it finally groaned back to life. Sounded like it hadn't been started in decades LOL, but it was a joy to hear that thing scream, spitting and popping flames out of open manifolds . Now begins the journey of ironing all the kinks out of this transplant

BTW, what's the fuel consumption like on your 1HD-FTE? I've been told programmers bump up the power by increasing combustion efficiency and, as a result, fuel economy too.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Weekend time!

Pictures to follow!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some Input On Turbocharging

Source: Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL)

1HZ diesel

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - turb3

A number of turbocharger kits are available for the 1HZ and by far the best engineered kit for this motor is that supplied by Safari 4x4 here in Australia. With an emphasis on reliability and engine longevity and driveability, the kit gives a healthy 30% - 40% power and torque increase. It is important however to be somewhat conservative with this motor when it comes to extracting lots of power. While the bottom end is very robust there are structural issues in the head (especially around the pre-combustion chambers) that dictate how much power can be extracted reliably. Whilst there is no doubt a good degree of over design is incorporated in the 1HZ, adding a turbocharger will stress the motor further and bring the performance envelope that bit closer to the limit. Things like the condition of the injectors and injector pump adjustment can have a significant effect on longevity. Hence the importance of a well engineered unit that is installed by professionals who are experienced in this field.

There are many examples of turbocharged 1HZ's with over 250,000km on them and running strong. There are also a small number of people in our group with bad experiences through mainly trying to over fuel, over boost and/or lack of injector/pump maintenance. The feeling amongst most in the group is that a boost compensator is a worth while addition to avoid overfueling at low rpm/low boost. A boost compensator allows the pump to be adjusted leaner for low boost conditions and increases the injected volume under high boost. This results in better economy and drastically reduces the amount of exhaust smoke.

Turbocharging the 1HZ is a popular option and one that can be considered from new. Toyota here in Australia frown on turbo installations (since it took sales away from the high priced 1HD-T and 1HD-FT factory turbos). The turbo may affect the factory driveline warranty and some companies will warrant the driveline for the same period as the factory warranty in the case of driveline failures attributed to the turbo installation.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Goodness! A Turbocharged 1FZ-FE, too?!

Source: Welcome to Land Cruiser Owners On Line (LCOOL)

1FZ-FE

Now this is an impressive kit! With turbocharger and intercooler, a reliable 240KW of power and 540NM of torque makes the 80 feel 1,000kg lighter with around 7 sec 0-100kph acceleration (6.7 sec claimed) and nearly 2 seconds faster than the newly introduced 100 Series V8. The figures however don't do justice to just how driveable the car is. After spending some time in an automatic version on road and off highway at our club property, it's a kit that works very well indeed. You can trickle over technical stuff and accelerate smoothly without any nasty hit as the turbo comes in. It's also one our US members who have to endure anemic performance at high altitudes would appreciate.

The kit is quite comprehensive and as a consequence fairly expensive, however the quality of components and workmanship of this Safari kit is very impressive indeed.

An additional injection management unit is used to meter the amount of fuel injected via a dedicated injector in the inlet tract. The factory ECU and injectors are left untouched. A problem common with turbocharged gasoline engines is pinging or detonation. Whilst this kit does a good job of keeping detonation to a minimum it can occur when using regular unleaded. As a safeguard, the factory knock sensors are retained to retard the ignition timing if 6 successive detonations are monitored.

There aren't a great number of these on the road in Australia and only one in our group. There is however a great deal of interest and we're waiting for more of us to take the plunge.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 28 of 73 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

User Tag List