0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some Teasers

Just look at them and ponder
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Ishah: WOW. What a beautiful bunch of FJs!

The one thing which I've noticed is common to all five of the incredibly hot-looking FJs that you posted, is the absence of sidelights / indicator lights. Since today, I've been staring at my FJ from various angles, and seeing your post has made me realise: the sidelights HAVE to go. Period.

I am in love with the first picture. It's just...amazing. Thanks for a great post, Ishah!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Kindly elaborate what are you exactly palning.
    Do you want to keep it as your daily drive or just for show boarding?

I like to keep my 4X4 as an alrounder. I drive it daily to the office, I use it for touring, I often go to Mianwali(my home place) on it. At the same time go offroading and have fum on it aswell.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    Just look at them and ponder

The yellow one is hot. So are the others...but the canary yellow is especially so.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    Kindly elaborate what are you exactly palning.
    Do you want to keep it as your daily drive or just for show boarding?

I like to keep my 4X4 as an alrounder. I drive it daily to the office, I use it for touring, I often go to Mianwali(my home place) on it. At the same time go offroading and have fum on it aswell.
    I would like to use this FJ40 as a serious off-roader, first and foremost. A vehicle into which you can bung a couple of dogs, some guns, some food and drink, some camping gear...and head out into the wilderness, for a good hunt / adventure. For that, the vehicle doesn't HAVE to look flashy at all...but it WOULD have to be very capable, and very, very reliable, indeed. That way, it won't be my Daily Driver (DD) but it WILL be used hard.

Essentially, I am also in favour of vehicles being comfortable to live with. This doesn't NECESSARILY mean soft-a$$ seats or thick pile carpets...but it CERTAINLY doesn't mean that there should be no air-conditioning and/or heating, just because you want to keep it stock. However, anything that detracts from the offroad capabilities of a vehicle, JUST to enhance cosmetics, is something I personally am disinclined to subscribe to.

As far as looks are concerned, I believe that perceptions pertaining to aesthetics differ from person to person. Therefore, this becomes a purely personal choice, that will always vary between individuals.

Good question. Serves the all-important purpose of actually getting me to put thoughts into words and sentences. Thanks!

jz
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

these are some seriously hot ones
    Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Some food for thought...(not to mention "eye-candy")

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this or not...but the FJ40 is the only vehicle which has the ability to look like a different machine altogether, with even the slightest bit of modification. As these pictures should amply prove...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321305 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321306 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321307 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321308 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321309
    www.facebook.com/performancepartslahore

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Eid Mubarak everyone. Merry Gearhead Madness!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Appears to be equipped with Air Lockers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

<HR style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #c7e2f0; COLOR: #c7e2f0" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
    Wishing a very special Eid Ul Azha to all friends
    Enjoy the festivities in good health.
    Please say a special prayer for Pakistan during the Eid Salat
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Eid Day in the Life of a Gearhead

I've been up since Fajr, on Eid day.

The morning proper began with the Eid prayers. In the close-knit societal setup that is Pakistan; this religious ritual serves as a social "cement" between various strata of the society. Prayers were offered for the peace, progress and prosperity of our beloved Pakistan. Supplication was made for the health of all present.

This was followed by a prolonged session of "eid jhappis" (embraces). The ritual thrice-hug greetings...the "Eid Mubarak" followed by the customary "Khair Mubarak". The drive back home...the Eid greetings to family members, and the expectant look from all the children. Seeing that look in their eyes, you KNOW that they're expecting Eidi. Aap un ko hazaar bata dein ke yeh paison wali Eid nahin, gosht wali Eid hai...haraam hai ke woh zara barabar bhi sunein! After the children get their Eidi, anyways, you engage in the fierce assault on the "Sewaiyyan" and "Sheer Khorma" and "Channa Chaat", as consolation.

All of this, while the children feed leaves and shrubs to the sacrificial "bakrey" (who at night, are occupying the garage which houses the FJ40). Which reminds me...those goats have to die! How DARE they make the FJ40 smell of anything other than high-octane, grease, oil, and lubricants?! And how dare they occupy space (even for only a couple of days) that is reserved exclusively for the Cruiser?! I say again...those goats have to die!!

On Eid day, once again...Eid Mubarak to all friends, and well-wishers. May god bless you all, and your loved ones. May He make Pakistan strong, and prosperous, and sovereign...

...and may our machines be incredibly powerful, fast, rough and tuff, and resilient. And may the price of POL products come down far enough, for us to enjoy all the horsepower and torque!

AMEEN!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321727 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321728 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321729 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321730 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321731The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321732 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321733 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321734

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice collection Fouad
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

fouadhafeez yellow one is inspirational

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321856

So I guess mine is getting closer (less front bumper and winch)

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -321857
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
    Nice collection Fouad
    Thank you, Aamir Bhai!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by isiddique View Post
    fouadhafeez yellow one is inspirational

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321856

So I guess mine is getting closer (less front bumper and winch)

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321857
    @isiddique: Nice rig there. It looks superb.

I think I'd mentioned this elsewhere in this thread; of how the FJ is such a terrific vehicle, in that even the slightest differences between visually-similar ones make them look completely different. Ride height, tyre size, top texture, wheel arch adornments, spare tyre arrangements, light cluster bezels, fog-lamps / additional illumination...the list is simply endless. And I believe it's that very quality which makes the FJ so special.

Tau, isiddique bhai...aap ki FJ uss yellow FJ se kuch milti julti to hai, lekin aap ki Lorry ka andaaz bilkul apna hai.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More Food For Thought - Roll Cages

If this "Punga" is going to be used for anything that even approaches serious off-roading, it is going to have to have a very sturdy roll cage, indeed. Whilst scouring the web, came across some ideas, which I thought I'd share.

Cheers.

Fouad.
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322208 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322209 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322210 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322211 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322212

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default And some MORE food for thought - Trailers!

For the (somewhat small sized) FJ to be an accomplished expeditionary vehicle, I was thinking that a trailer would be a really good idea, too. The advantages to this would be many. An increase in "indoor" space; thereby leaving room for more occupants, rather than stuff that could be conveniently stored in the trailer. It would be possible to take along all the accoutrements required for a camp; tentage, water, utensils, first aid, food, entrenching tools, additional fuel, perhaps even an additional spare tire! A trailer would enable you to "drop anchor" at a base camp, and free you up, with only the required essentials to head off into more "hostile" off-road territory. All things considered...iss mein faidey hee faidey nazar aate hain.

Conceptually, this should be simple enough...and our Ustaads at City Saddar Road SHOULD be able to make a tub-trailer, easily. However, there's many a slip between the cup and the lip.

Yeh sab to parda-e-screen par hee dekha jaega.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322275 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322276 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322277

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Useful Software for Tire Calculations

I've always been at a complete loss when it comes to calculations between various tire types. Aakhir 35x12.5x16 size ka tire, kitna bada hota hai, bhai?

Nifty little convertor, discovered whilst scouring the web.

<object width="300" height="605"><param name="movie" value="http://media.ajdesigner.com/fl/tire.swf"></param><embed src="http://media.ajdesigner.com/fl/tire.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="300" height="605"></embed></object><br><a href="http://www.ajdesigner.com/index.htm">By AJ Design Software</a>

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good morning, Aamir Bhai!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The "Food For Thought" Just Keeps Coming! Which translates into extra "kharcha"!

Snorkels are a wonderful thing to have, on an off-roader.

Contrary to popular belief, snorkels are not necessarily JUST for increasing the fording capabilities of a vehicle, even though they certainly do that. The most powerful reason to have a snorkel installed is for the benefits that your engine's sound, consumption, power, and prevention from wear and tear is likely to receive. A simple rule of thumb: the cooler the air, in the air-fuel mixture...the better the bang.

Snorkels provide for that all-important coolness to the air in the air-fuel mix.

Plus, they LOOK @#$%^&*! cool, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322329 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -322330

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The wish-list / things-to-do list seems to be shaping up nicely.

And while my wife glances over my shoulder while I post this to the thread, she adds: "and the expenditure that is likely to be incurred, is shaping up equally horribly"

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

User Tag List