0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More, Still

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -380566 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -380567
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default And STILL some more!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -380568 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -380569

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice shairing.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What We've Been Upto

The day commenced with a lengthy discussion with Imran Ustaad (the mechanic) on the relative merits and demerits of turbocharging, intercooling, a swap with 1HD-FTE and other mechanical things. The conclusion that we've come to, is to go ahead as planned for now, with the 1HZ engine. Depending on its displayed performance, we will (or will not) look into the possibility of turbo-charging the beast. This won't be very difficult...even at a later stage, and can be done in a fairly inexpensive way. If there is a HUGE performance void...we MAY look into the possibility of a 1HD-FTE engine swap...although the weight of the engine, the problems pertaining to wiring etc, and the cost of the powerplant, MAY make us discard this idea, and stick to a "simple" turbo-charged affair (which should get us close to 180-190 horsepower).

This discussion was followed by a visit to Jamil and Nikku Ustaads. After much deliberation, we've decided to add another 6 inches to the frame (at the very rear). This is to accommodate a slightly longer pickup bed, as the current one was looking insignificantly small, in relation to the sheer dimensions of the Phantom. This way, it'll look practical, proportional, and more aesthetically pleasing. The additional space wouldn't be unwelcome, either!

The trim / garnish for the wheel arches has been fabricated. It's beautiful! Just wide enough for it to leave just a couple of inches of the tyres outside the wheel well. Perfection!

The cabin's "skeleton" is complete. I'm VERY glad that I decided to go with a much taller window for the rear glass of the Phantom. Personally, I think it looks absolutely beautiful, as compared to the somewhat thinner backglass that is original to the FJ40. Also, the interior of the cabin is being reinforced. For this purpose, we're using authentic inner mouldings and revetment sheets. It's finally started to LOOK like the monster it's going to eventually BE (Insha Allah), from the inside and out!

Lengthy deliberation also went into the basic shape of the daala itself. We've decided to stick to the genuine FJ40 shape...and are going to use the original pickup door (shown in the pictures), which I'm told is very rare. It fits beautifully. Of course, a little modification is going to go into this as well.

Overall...I'm exceptionally pleased with the way things are shaping up. Allah nazar-e-bad se bachaye!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The cab seems to be coming up GR8
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you find wiring to be nightmare then the least u can do is to get a 1hdft and install a front mounted intercooler. That should be all if u want to run on diesel. Our uneducated mechanics find the 14 year old engine's wiring a nightmare, so how can they properly install the turbocharger with right tuning and cr ratios etc. they don't even know how to tune a mechanical pump. All they can do is raise the fuel and they think that the engine is safe which is actually not . More fuel means higher egt temp and boom. I have successfully torn a couple of 1hds like that myself. I don't know of any mechanic that know how crutical EGT gauge is.

The point is, with those tyres, 1hz with even a big ct26 will have a tractor like performance.

lets see. From the pictures I can guess you have plenty of time to make decision on the power plant. Rolls Royce chose the name phantom, ghost etc because they wanted the people to know hownquite their cars were at the time. But with these tyres and lift its all opposite

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    What We've Been Upto

The day commenced with a lengthy discussion with Imran Ustaad (the mechanic) on the relative merits and demerits of turbocharging, intercooling, a swap with 1HD-FTE and other mechanical things. The conclusion that we've come to, is to go ahead as planned for now, with the 1HZ engine. Depending on its displayed performance, we will (or will not) look into the possibility of turbo-charging the beast. This won't be very difficult...even at a later stage, and can be done in a fairly inexpensive way. If there is a HUGE performance void...we MAY look into the possibility of a 1HD-FTE engine swap...although the weight of the engine, the problems pertaining to wiring etc, and the cost of the powerplant, MAY make us discard this idea, and stick to a "simple" turbo-charged affair (which should get us close to 180-190 horsepower).

This discussion was followed by a visit to Jamil and Nikku Ustaads. After much deliberation, we've decided to add another 6 inches to the frame (at the very rear). This is to accommodate a slightly longer pickup bed, as the current one was looking insignificantly small, in relation to the sheer dimensions of the Phantom. This way, it'll look practical, proportional, and more aesthetically pleasing. The additional space wouldn't be unwelcome, either!

The trim / garnish for the wheel arches has been fabricated. It's beautiful! Just wide enough for it to leave just a couple of inches of the tyres outside the wheel well. Perfection!

The cabin's "skeleton" is complete. I'm VERY glad that I decided to go with a much taller window for the rear glass of the Phantom. Personally, I think it looks absolutely beautiful, as compared to the somewhat thinner backglass that is original to the FJ40. Also, the interior of the cabin is being reinforced. For this purpose, we're using authentic inner mouldings and revetment sheets. It's finally started to LOOK like the monster it's going to eventually BE (Insha Allah), from the inside and out!

Lengthy deliberation also went into the basic shape of the daala itself. We've decided to stick to the genuine FJ40 shape...and are going to use the original pickup door (shown in the pictures), which I'm told is very rare. It fits beautifully. Of course, a little modification is going to go into this as well.

Overall...I'm exceptionally pleased with the way things are shaping up. Allah nazar-e-bad se bachaye!
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    If you find wiring to be nightmare then the least u can do is to get a 1hdft and install a front mounted intercooler. That should be all if u want to run on diesel.
    Like I said...it's possible I might do an engine swap at some point in time. NOT probable...but definitely possible.

Our uneducated mechanics find the 14 year old engine's wiring a nightmare, so how can they properly install the turbocharger with right tuning and cr ratios etc. they don't even know how to tune a mechanical pump. All they can do is raise the fuel and they think that the engine is safe which is actually not . More fuel means higher egt temp and boom. I have successfully torn a couple of 1hds like that myself. I don't know of any mechanic that know how crutical EGT gauge is.
    During the course of this rebuild, I've found out that a few seemingly "impossible" things have turned out to be fairly doable. The turbocharger and intercooler (IF I choose to install them) will have some solution. I'm sure of it.

The point is, with those tyres, 1hz with even a big ct26 will have a tractor like performance.
    The performance I WANT from this beast should be enough to climb over and plough through obstacles. In that way, I'm actually more concerned over the absence of diff locks than I am, from it having a sluggish engine (which, actually, it ISN'T). And as for the performance...the only measure we have thus far, is a theoretical / hypothetical one. I'd much rather wait and see it perform on its own steam, rather than greatly diverge from the original plan for the rebuild. And call me stubborn if you will...but I'm still not completely sold on the 1HD-FTE idea, currently.

lets see. From the pictures I can guess you have plenty of time to make decision on the power plant.
    I do, indeed. Basically, my decision has already been made...the afterthought of turbo-charging the1HZ, or even mooting an upgrade to 1HD-FTE is really just food for thought. Advanced planning, maybe. Shayed mein chaskey le raha hoon!

Rolls Royce chose the name phantom, ghost etc because they wanted the people to know hownquite their cars were at the time. But with these tyres and lift its all opposite
    This is a reincarnated / rebirthed / reborn / risen-from-the-grave FJ40 at heart. A creature which very much has the spirit of the FJ, embodied in a totally different exterior. Personally, I think Phantom (despite the grunt, the growl, the unabashed in-your-facedness) is quite apt...in a completely different kind of way to Rolls Royce, of course!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 380568 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 380569
    I absolutely LOVE this daala, that we're going to use. It's so...FJ40! Of course, this is going to be a lowering daala, which opens downwards...and will incorporate a step on each side, so as to allow for people to climb into the tub.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i hope you are keeping few inches space between dalla and cab!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 380566 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 380567
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Tomorrow, I go shopping for the seats to the capital of old car parts...Sultan Da Khu.

My requirement for the Phantom is to have Recaro / Sparco type sports seats in the front. These would use a three/five point harness, for safety. The rear will use a bench seat...probably something from a late model Prado. These seats are needed by Jamil Ustaad so as to install them, and then, later build the interior roll-cage and roof around them.

I have plans for the interior. Something beautiful, simple, and functional...which captures the FJ spirit...but is modern, comfortable, and completely practical. Depending upon the colours I eventually choose for the Phantom, the interior is going to be in exactly matching two tones. I've ditched the idea of a Series 70 dashboard...and will retain the FJ40 dash instead, with its no-nonsense instrument cluster. My sole concession to ostentation will be a black leather coat to the dashboard panel, and possibly, chrome bezels to the (planned) high-contrast-white switches/gauges/speedo. The steering wheel too, will be the genuine article...although, thickly-leather-coated, so as to compensate for the somewhat "skinny" feel of the stock steering wheel. The odd touch of walnut (to gear knobs, door and window handles, perhaps the light and wiper knobs) should complete the effect. Of course, an iPad (or iPod Touch) for music, video, and GPS (similar to the FZJ) will also be on the cards. A very unobtrusive sound system will be housed in the glove compartment...with micro-speakers and a sub-woofer under the rear seats, panel speakers built into the doors, and tweeters / super-tweeters / hands-free bluetooth built into the dash. I had initially planned on a roof-mounted AV system...but that isn't practical, seeing as how the Phantom WILL go topless a lot of the time.

All of this however, will, practically speaking, come at a much later stage. First things first...the seats, tomorrow!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    i hope you are keeping few inches space between dalla and cab!
    Absolutely, boss. Although it won't APPEAR that way. From the sides, to the naked eye, it will appear that the tub and body are completely seamless. The design of the front part of the tub will sit almost-flush against the rear curve of the cabin.

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hmmm. Sir, iss masaley ke baare mein thori vazahat farmaein. Saaf chhupte bhi nahin, saamne aatey bhi nahin!
    Turns out, supercharging the 1FZ is till on the cards, its just been delayed beacuse of multiple work commitments. So I am afraid its not available.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I do think you are a bit harsh on local mechanics. Though I don't wanna debate this here...

Its not necessary that everyone who installs a turbo charger must run an EGT guage. A large majority of budget builders and enthusiasts across the world don't have one particularly on diesel conversions. Its not the cheapest of guages (given high temps) and while its always better to have it than not, as long as you are keeping boost levels within sane limits you can generally get away without one.... obviously when you start chasing HPs you should have one particularly on a petrol engine. Come to think of it, I haven't heard of any of the local rally 1KD chipped Vigos running one, but maybe the smart ones do have them.

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    If you find wiring to be nightmare then the least u can do is to get a 1hdft and install a front mounted intercooler. That should be all if u want to run on diesel. Our uneducated mechanics find the 14 year old engine's wiring a nightmare, so how can they properly install the turbocharger with right tuning and cr ratios etc. they don't even know how to tune a mechanical pump. All they can do is raise the fuel and they think that the engine is safe which is actually not . More fuel means higher egt temp and boom. I have successfully torn a couple of 1hds like that myself. I don't know of any mechanic that know how crutical EGT gauge is.

lets see. From the pictures I can guess you have plenty of time to make decision on the power plant. Rolls Royce chose the name phantom, ghost etc because they wanted the people to know hownquite their cars were at the time. But with these tyres and lift its all opposite
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fouad Bhai, is it time to start discussing the roll cage? Or should we wait till you have the supercharger in place
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Fouad Bhai, is it time to start discussing the roll cage? Or should we wait till you have the supercharger in place
    It's absolutely time! Woh angrez kiya kehte hain..."there's no time like the present"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    I do think you are a bit harsh on local mechanics. Though I don't wanna debate this here...

Its not necessary that everyone who installs a turbo charger must run an EGT guage. A large majority of budget builders and enthusiasts across the world don't have one particularly on diesel conversions. Its not the cheapest of guages (given high temps) and while its always better to have it than not, as long as you are keeping boost levels within sane limits you can generally get away without one.... obviously when you start chasing HPs you should have one particularly on a petrol engine. Come to think of it, I haven't heard of any of the local rally 1KD chipped Vigos running one, but maybe the smart ones do have them.

hello shoaib bhai.
    just to add that a friend bought a Taiwanese egt for 7k from Lahore, hence its available and not that expensive compared to afr you need in petrol
    its all about power to weight ratio...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If this "Punga" is going to be used for anything that even approaches serious off-roading, it is going to have to have a very sturdy roll cage, indeed. Whilst scouring the web, came across some ideas, which I thought I'd share.

Cheers.

Fouad.
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 322208 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 322209 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 322210 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 322211 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 322212
    @SuhaibKiani

This is from an earlier post on this thread...just to nicely warm up things, and set the stage for the discussion on the roll cage.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thinking aloud, I would imagine that these are the basic options to going about the roll cage...with comparative merits and demerits, as shown against each:-

First, would be to erect a cross-array of pipes that span the width and length of the cabin...pass through the floor of the cabin, and connect to the belly-sliders (and thus, the chassis) permanently, by means of welds / bolts.
    Advantages. Would save on weight. Direct connection to the frame. Comparatively "noiseless" with not much clunking around.
    Disadvantages. Would require sealing from where it passes through the body to the frame. Difficult to fabricate accurately.

The second would be to formulate a proper "cage" within the cabin, that would thereafter be bolted down at strategic spots.
    Advantages. Easily fabricated. Symmetrical. Bolts on easy, comes off easy. Provides max protection.
    Disadvantages. Heavy. "Noisy" option. Takes up space.

Yet another option could be to simply pass two longitudinally running pipes from behind the rear seats, reinforce them laterally in the middle of the cabin, and thereafter connect them (immovably) to the windshield frame.
    Advantages
    . Very simple construction. Bolts from chassis-frame to the natural roll bar of the windshield-frame. Takes up least space. Fairly easily removable (especially from windshield-frame). Least heavy.
    Disadvantages. Least protective of the three options. Would render the windshield immovable, for top-down experiences.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Turns out, supercharging the 1FZ is till on the cards, its just been delayed beacuse of multiple work commitments. So I am afraid its not available.
    There's a part of me that is sad to hear that, Doc.

But then, there's a part of me that thinks: jaan bachee sau laakhon paaye!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Since yesterday, I've also been very seriously considering just WHAT to do with the daala. There's a part of me that says this should be used PRIMARILY for aesthetics, and function should follow form. However, I also think that it SHOULD be put to practical use FIRST, and the resulting optics can follow that aspect.

Some ground realities are as under:-
    1. The Phantom is going to have a huge, massive, enormous bloody stepni, which is going to take up a lot of space.
    2. It's already a five-seater, so using the rear tub to seat 2-4 more people isn't really required.
    3. For its adventures, there is going to be a requirement of a high-lift jack, additional fuel cans, towing straps and ropes, tools, some camping gear, etc.
    4. The daala really ISN'T all that big to begin with.

Option 1. Apropos, I was thinking...the roll cage of the daala should be something like the angled cage of the FZJ79. The rear angled pipes should mount the stepni in an enclosed fibre/metal tyre cover. Thus, from the rear, the sight you get is of those enormous tyres mounted on the rear wheels, and a sight of the enormous stepni mounted in a sloping, rakish angle; staring down at you. Everything else, is fit under, or around this spare wheel. The disadvantage to this is obvious...the stepni occupies virtually all the space in the rear...and obscures everything else. It will also add to the weight of the beast...BUT, will add to the strength of the roll cage, by having an additional one in the rear.

Option 2. The other option is to mount the wheel flush against the leading edge of the daala in an upright position. This would economise on space occupied by the stepni, and allow a more neat, and orderly, and easily-accessible placement of the remaining items. Admittedly, though...it probably wouldn't look as hot as the former option.

Just to present this thought in pictorial fashion, are shots of the FZJ's roll cage, and spare tyre placement.

For option 1, the tyre is mounted atop the rear, sloping bars of the cage in the 1st picture.

For option 2, the tyre is mounted as shown in the 2nd picture, except in the middle of the bed.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -380829 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -380830

+ Reply to Thread
Page 30 of 73 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

User Tag List