0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thorough enjoying this thread
    When r we going to discuss color combination ????????
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
    Thorough enjoying this thread
    When r we going to discuss color combination ????????
    Guru Ji, we will discuss the colour combinations WHENEVER it pleases you, of course.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another mid-course correction...

We're going to put the daala on hold, while we build a rear pipe jangla with a simple diamond-checkered plate for the "floor" instead. The spare tyre will be attached to this jangla at a sloping, raked angle. The spare can, jack, ropes, tools etc, can be accommodated between the tyre and the rear of the cab. The daala WILL be crafted at leisure, but it will be the secondary attachment at the rear, rather than the primary.

I mean...this beast really isn't a loader, is it?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Thinking aloud, I would imagine that these are the basic options to going about the roll cage...with comparative merits and demerits, as shown against each:-

First, would be to erect a cross-array of pipes that span the width and length of the cabin...pass through the floor of the cabin, and connect to the belly-sliders (and thus, the chassis) permanently, by means of welds / bolts.
    Advantages. Would save on weight. Direct connection to the frame. Comparatively "noiseless" with not much clunking around.
    Disadvantages. Would require sealing from where it passes through the body to the frame. Difficult to fabricate accurately.

The second would be to formulate a proper "cage" within the cabin, that would thereafter be bolted down at strategic spots.
    Advantages. Easily fabricated. Symmetrical. Bolts on easy, comes off easy. Provides max protection.
    Disadvantages. Heavy. "Noisy" option. Takes up space.

Yet another option could be to simply pass two longitudinally running pipes from behind the rear seats, reinforce them laterally in the middle of the cabin, and thereafter connect them (immovably) to the windshield frame.
    Advantages. Very simple construction. Bolts from chassis-frame to the natural roll bar of the windshield-frame. Takes up least space. Fairly easily removable (especially from windshield-frame). Least heavy.
    Disadvantages. Least protective of the three options. Would render the windshield immovable, for top-down experiences.
    Option II is my recommendation. It isn't that heavy and takes up less space than you would think. Not noisy in any way. Also should have seat belts appropriately calibrated and bolted down.
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Option II is my recommendation. It isn't that heavy and takes up less space than you would think. Not noisy in any way. Also should have seat belts appropriately calibrated and bolted down.
    I'm inclined to agree. The safety that a complete shell-cage provides, isn't really met with by the other options. How does it connect to the frame, though? Or doesn't it?

Please overlook my ignorance!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another option (after discussion with Jamil Ustaad - who speaks highly of the setup in Suhaib Bhai's FJ, btw) for the anti-roll apparatus that I'm also considering, consists of four anti-roll bars.

The first, is in the general line of the windscreen, and is bolted to the belly sliders, after passing through the floor of the cabin. This connects the roll bar to the frame, permanently. The second bar, is at the pillar between front and rear doors. This, too, passes through the floor of the cabin and connects to the belly sliders. The third bar will be constructed at the rear of the cabin, and will similarly be connected to the frame, by being passed through the floor of the cabin. These three roll bars, will form the "inner cabin cage". Of course, rubber washers and silicon joints will seal their exit points from the cabin to the frame. The fourth bar, is part of the jangla built at the rear, on which the tyre will be mounted at a raked angle.

All three bars "inner cabin" bars will be affixed at an equal height, so that the weight distribution in case of a spill, is divided equally amongst them. They will be connected via cross-members, so as to reinforce them. 3 to 3.5 inch pipe will be used of a sootar gauge. The fourth bar, won't be connected to the inner three, but will be the same height as them, and will be anchored at four points to the frame, by means of an angled bar. Theoretically speaking, this enjoins the entire roll cage (all four bars) to the strongest part of the vehicle - the chassis / frame - at ALL points. Again, theoretically speaking at least...it SHOULD provide the maximum strength, with a minimum of weight.

I really need to photoshop / sketch this arrangement out, for it to be entirely comprehensible!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir, after all these bars, hopefully there will be a MINI BAR too in Phantom
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cateyez View Post
    Sir, after all these bars, hopefully there will be a MINI BAR too in Phantom
    Ha ha ha ha!

The front bar, the centre bar, the rear cabin bar, the rear bar, and the mini bar. The last one is JUST the thing to test the structural efficiency of the former four!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A Pictorial Representation

These two pictures will attempt to explain the roll bar setup I spoke of in an earlier post (Post #606). Please pardon my lack of skills with Photoshop!

The first picture shows the Phantom with no changes /no roll bars.

The second picture shows the roll bars setup. The green dots indicate where welds will be emplaced between pipes, while the blue dots show where the pipes will be welded onto the frame. Of course, since this is a side view picture, you can conveniently mirror it for the other side. A cross member will connect the 3 roll bars of the inner cabin cage, passing through the exact centre of the vehicle, longitudinally.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381475 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381476

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some Random Colour Choices

This is for Guru Ji.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381542 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381543 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381544 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381545 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381547 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381548 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381550 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381551 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381552

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[QUOTE=fouadhafeez;3274278]This is for Guru Ji.

Definetly its your choice sir - however i would do dull & matt color rather desert tan in matt finish.

Good luck.
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[QUOTE=machine;3274287]
    This is for Guru Ji.

Definetly its your choice sir - however i would do dull & matt color rather desert tan in matt finish.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the good wishes.

Khaki tan, huh?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -381591

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is for Guru Ji.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381542 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381543 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381544 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381545 An FJ40 Rebuild  Yeah  I know   you re thinking  quot not another one   quot   The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381547 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381548 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381550 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381551 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381552
    Obviously the choice is yours but I would strongly recommend lively color
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would recommend the light khaki tone you posted few pages ago although your 70 series also has the khaki tone. No match for the olive green!

[QUOTE=fouadhafeez;3274425]
    Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post

Thanks for the good wishes.

Khaki tan, huh?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 381591
    When Nothing else do the Job "ҐЄຊ๓ પฑḭ₥φ౸" has the solution. http://www.facebook.com/team.unimog

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Bash: I love that khaki-sand colour on my FZJ. Especially with black embellishments. Truth be told, though...it'll be a little TOO much to have three TLCs in the same colour configuration...even if they ARE different types, altogether.

Aamir Bhai makes an excellent point, when he says the Phantom should be a brightly coloured beast. Let's see. Still plenty of time before the final colour selection.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another option (after discussion with Jamil Ustaad - who speaks highly of the setup in Suhaib Bhai's FJ, btw) for the anti-roll apparatus that I'm also considering, consists of four anti-roll bars.
    Sir, with all due respect, at the risk of sounding nitpicky, I believe you meant to say roll-over bars as opposed to anti-roll bars. Just wanted to point that out for the benefit of those folks who might scouring this thread for ideas/information.

All three bars "inner cabin" bars will be affixed at an equal height, so that the weight distribution in case of a spill, is divided equally amongst them. They will be connected via cross-members, so as to reinforce them. 3 to 3.5 inch pipe will be used of a sootar gauge. The fourth bar, won't be connected to the inner three, but will be the same height as them, and will be anchored at four points to the frame, by means of an angled bar. Theoretically speaking, this enjoins the entire roll cage (all four bars) to the strongest part of the vehicle - the chassis / frame - at ALL points. Again, theoretically speaking at least...it SHOULD provide the maximum strength, with a minimum of weight.
    Installing the main hoops in line with the A, B, and C pillars is a good idea. However, you can get away with using tubing much smaller than 3" or 3.5". Use a narrower pipe of heavier gauge say, 14 or 12, it will take up a lot less interior room while providing the same level of protection. There are few things worse than smacking one's knee cap on solid steel pipe during ingress or egress from an off-road vehicle :p

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie View Post
    Sir, with all due respect, at the risk of sounding nitpicky, I believe you meant to say roll-over bars as opposed to anti-roll bars. Just wanted to point that out for the benefit of those folks who might scouring this thread for ideas/information.
    I stand corrected. The Roll-Over Bars, they are.

Installing the main hoops in line with the A, B, and C pillars is a good idea. However, you can get away with using tubing much smaller than 3" or 3.5". Use a narrower pipe of heavier gauge say, 14 or 12, it will take up a lot less interior room while providing the same level of protection. There are few things worse than smacking one's knee cap on solid steel pipe during ingress or egress from an off-road vehicle :p
    The thought did occur about using smaller dia pipe for building the roll-over bars. However, since the Phantom IS going to have a topless incarnation, I think the smaller dia pipe would look somewhat...incongruous...on the beast. Somewhat more discussion on this aspect is warranted with Jamil Ustaad, though. Basically, he'd be the one building the bugger...so he'll be the one who'll have to make sure that there's ample space inside!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The thought did occur about using smaller dia pipe for building the roll-over bars. However, since the Phantom IS going to have a topless incarnation, I think the smaller dia pipe would look somewhat...incongruous...on the beast. Somewhat more discussion on this aspect is warranted with Jamil Ustaad, though. Basically, he'd be the one building the bugger...so he'll be the one who'll have to make sure that there's ample space inside!
    Recommended tube dia for roll cages is either 2" or 1.75" with thick walls 0.125" to 0.15" - 1 to 1.25 Sootar if not more. The issue with using 3" pipes (apart from the space one mentioned above) is that if you use the proper thick walled tube, the thing will be too heavy and too expensive. A 16G or 18G 3" tube will not be strong enough to serve the purpose if (God forbid) it is needed.
    Just my 2c
    Thanks for sharing all the info here. We need more pics though
    Ehsan

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ehsankiani View Post
    Recommended tube dia for roll cages is either 2" or 1.75" with thick walls 0.125" to 0.15" - 1 to 1.25 Sootar if not more. The issue with using 3" pipes (apart from the space one mentioned above) is that if you use the proper thick walled tube, the thing will be too heavy and too expensive. A 16G or 18G 3" tube will not be strong enough to serve the purpose if (God forbid) it is needed.
    Just my 2c
    Thanks for sharing all the info here. We need more pics though
    Ehsan
    Great advice, Ehsan!

I hadn't really considered the weight factor. Clearly, a larger dia pipe, with a sootar / sawa sootar gauge will be FAR heavier than a 2 inch pipe of the same gauge...which will clearly, affect performance, in addition to reducing in-cabin space. To counter the skinny look of the pipes, and to achieve the "optical illusion" of making it appear "thicker" (for cosmetic appearances) can easily be achieved by wrapping it in foam and leather.

Once again...thanks for the suggestion. Thanks is also due to Jeep_Junkie for a similar piece of advice. It doesn't necessarily have to BE a thick dia pipe...it just has to APPEAR that way!

As for pictures, Ehsan...I'm gnashing my teeth in frustration at not being able to see the progress made, except on weekends. I agree with you, completely...THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

THIS THREAD IS USELESS WITHOUT PICTURES!
    Hope that all is well at your end as you have not updated this thread today

Dont worry sir this thread is not at all useless without pictures. We simultaneously enjoy each and every post.

Take care and keep us posted.
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

+ Reply to Thread
Page 31 of 73 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

User Tag List