0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I realise...I've been absent from the scene for QUITE a few days.

The reason for this has NOT been a waning interest in the project...rather professional commitments have kept me away from Pindi, altogether. However, when my wife and children came visiting me at Kharian, I insisted that Shayaan (my son) should go snap some pictures of the Phantom and give me an update on its progress. And that he should bring these photos along, on his visit to Kharian!

According to Shayaan the "Phantom is turning out beautiful"...and I'm inclined to believe him from what I've seen of the pictures. The denting phase is coming towards an end, (thanks be to Allah). The cabin is good to go. The mudguards are getting some widening / broadening. The grille, the daala, and other fittings are undergoing final refinements. Here're some pictures for you to judge for yourself!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395603 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395604 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395605 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395606 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395607
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some More Pictures

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395608 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395609 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395610 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395611 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -395612

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Looking cool
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Toyota FJ40, brings back alot of memories.. here is a link to a company that makes the best aluminum bodies Aluminum Replacement Bodies & Accessories for Land Cruisers, Jeeps& Samurai's - Home ... even 4 doors.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 8665551

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brig. Sb... For your eyes only,

The one that got away...
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -396438
    My heart is a Flat 4!! 62' VW Type-1, 76' VW Sunroof SuperBeetle... To me my VolksWagen, to you yours...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiioutdoors View Post
    Toyota FJ40, brings back alot of memories.. here is a link to a company that makes the best aluminum bodies Aluminum Replacement Bodies & Accessories for Land Cruisers, Jeeps& Samurai's - Home ... even 4 doors.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 8665551
    Thanks for the link. That seems like an awesome operation going on there.

However, in the absence of such an operation in our neck of the woods, hand-crafting isn't just a luxury...it's a necessity!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hassanazeem View Post
    Brig. Sb... For your eyes only,

The one that got away...
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 396438
    Thank you, Hassan. It's still looking really sexy!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Nice project

@fouadhafeez
    Today i have visited the jeep rebuild area of Rawalpindi regarding some reserch due to my project . but i also got the opputunity to meet Jamil Ustaad and have a look at your Phantom in progress.

i have also taken few snaps and uploading them with seeking your Permission.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397417

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397418

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397419

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397420

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397421

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397423

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397424
    Old is Gold
    Sulfide by Nature ....Trained & Tuned @ Toyota,,,,,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by joinami View Post
    @fouadhafeez
    Today i have visited the jeep rebuild area of Rawalpindi regarding some reserch due to my project . but i also got the opputunity to meet Jamil Ustaad and have a look at your Phantom in progress.

i have also taken few snaps and uploading them with seeking your Permission.
    Thank you, brother! More pictures are ALWAYS welcome!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Some Photos From My Side

FINALLY got the chance to visit Pindi, after what seemed like CENTURIES!

Without further ado...the stash of photos for the week...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397636 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397637 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397638 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397639 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397640

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default More Pictures

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397654 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397655 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397656 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397658 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397660

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    18 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great project , wishing to see it in Final stage

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exciting things happened over this weekend.

I'll be adding some of it, on the thread that deals with the Impala restoration elsewhere, but on the Phantom's front, it was also pretty heady stuff.

The first item were the mudguards. Initially, as per plan, we had decided to "broaden" the mudguards by 3.5 inches...but after having done so once, we discovered that this breadth was insufficient - the tyres STILL protruded outside too much! An extra 0.75 inches on each side was added. Now, the mudguards have been laterally stretched by a whopping 8.5 inches (a total of 4.25 inches on each side).

The other addition was the pickup tub. This has been all but prepared, using the original rear of the donor FJ. Of course, the wheel arches and the forward portion of the tub have been heavily modified, but retain that true "Series 40" flavour. The daala that has been chosen to grace the rear of the pickup (as seen in the photos) is an original FJ40 "lid", and I am of the personal view that it looks absolutely sexy. A couple more days should see the rear come to an end.

The Petrol Cap (visible in photos) has been chosen as the "sunken" round-cap-in-a-square frame. Again, this is by design, as it'll mix-n-match nicely with the forward ventilator kick-panel in the front of the beast.

Jamil Ustaad tells me that the "rough" should be done by the end of the coming week. This will include the bumper, the fitting of the winch, the wheel-arch golay, the tub, and the engine compartment. The next step will be the fitting of the engine and tranny (possibly on Monday the next week). With that done...by the end of two weeks, the beast should be back with Jamil Ustaad, for those minor, intensely-painstaking details and finesse.

I'm very VERY excited. This project so far, has surpassed all my expectations from it. Allah aage bhi khair khairyat rakhe!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

cant wait to see it in action
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Exciting things happened over this weekend.

I'll be adding some of it, on the thread that deals with the Impala restoration elsewhere, but on the Phantom's front, it was also pretty heady stuff.

The first item were the mudguards. Initially, as per plan, we had decided to "broaden" the mudguards by 3.5 inches...but after having done so once, we discovered that this breadth was insufficient - the tyres STILL protruded outside too much! An extra 0.75 inches on each side was added. Now, the mudguards have been laterally stretched by a whopping 8.5 inches (a total of 4.25 inches on each side).

The other addition was the pickup tub. This has been all but prepared, using the original rear of the donor FJ. Of course, the wheel arches and the forward portion of the tub have been heavily modified, but retain that true "Series 40" flavour. The daala that has been chosen to grace the rear of the pickup (as seen in the photos) is an original FJ40 "lid", and I am of the personal view that it looks absolutely sexy. A couple more days should see the rear come to an end.

The Petrol Cap (visible in photos) has been chosen as the "sunken" round-cap-in-a-square frame. Again, this is by design, as it'll mix-n-match nicely with the forward ventilator kick-panel in the front of the beast.

Jamil Ustaad tells me that the "rough" should be done by the end of the coming week. This will include the bumper, the fitting of the winch, the wheel-arch golay, the tub, and the engine compartment. The next step will be the fitting of the engine and tranny (possibly on Monday the next week). With that done...by the end of two weeks, the beast should be back with Jamil Ustaad, for those minor, intensely-painstaking details and finesse.

I'm very VERY excited. This project so far, has surpassed all my expectations from it. Allah aage bhi khair khairyat rakhe!
    Good too see the Much Awaited Update

Well a Thought .. As you mentioned that the Fenders need to be Stretched more to accommodate the Wheels ... Dont you think that it would jeopardize the True FJ40 look with such wide mudguards ? Why dont you use the Mudguard Rubber Extensions with the existing mudguard size ?

It is Practical and yet would retain the FJ40 look ... Although the Dimensions of the Phantom are BIG but they have to be in proportion too .. my concern is that the mudguards might look out of proportion ... .. and MIGHT not be Strong enough too with that Much Width ....

Does it Make it Sense or i am just Imagining too much about the end product
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Something of this sort i am recommending ...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -397698
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    Something of this sort i am recommending ...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 397698
    Hi, Yasser! Good to see you skulking about the forums, brother!

A lot of thought went into the stretchings / widenings / heightenings (LOL). The design philosophy is simple: if it doesn't look good, you can always go back to stock. The same holds true for the mudguards, as well. The broader mudguards actually make it look much more "menacing"...something which mud-flaps and/or or mud plates wouldn't quite have achieved, imho. However, if they don't appear to look good on the finished product (difficult to judge, since the vehicle takes up ALL the space in Jamil's shop!), we'll simply tear them off, and replace them with stock front mudguards. The rear wheel arches have undergone some modifications / shearing, too. These will accommodate the custom "golay", which look absolutely smashing. When the extended front mudguards and the rear golay will be lined up, they should (theoretically) be absolutely symmetrical. Let's wait for the finished product!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Army auctions how do they work ? what rides are there for auction these days ? fj40/45, uni mogs any defenders ? or other soft top rides 70 series ?
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Army auctions how do they work ? what rides are there for auction these days ? fj40/45, uni mogs any defenders ? or other soft top rides 70 series ?
    From what I've seen they're MOSTLY FJ40s and some M38s. Unimogs and Iveco VM-90Ts are also up for grabs. Haven't seen very many Defenders, though. The Series 70 TLCs are still in use, en masse. Only those Series 70 TLCs will be up for auction which are hopelessly trashed before their "shelf life" has worn out.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

avg price for a fj40? here on pakwheels havent seen anything less then 400k