0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another Quick Update
    Another long-distance review of the situation has revealed exciting things going on.

First off, the Phantom has a heart (without a heartbeat)! The 1HZ engine has been mounted onto brand new foundations, and the gear has been mated to it. During this process, because of the massive increase in ride height, some of the underpinnings of the vehicle require some adjustment. The fuel tank has to be slightly 'squished" at one end. This is to allow for the gear and shafts to be properly mounted and connected, and to allow for a smooth, levelled drivetrain.

Over the next couple of days, the radiator (from a Series 70 vehicle, to match the engine), the airflow, the exhaust etc, will be fitted, so as to give us an idea of a close-to-accurate kerb weight.

The next step to follow, will be measurements for the shocks. From "normal" static position, we'll jack up the vehicle until about the time each of the four wheels individually "lift off" the ground. This would give us a fair idea of how much travel needs to be catered for in the shocks. It should, theoretically, allow us to choose shocks which will cater for optimum articulation, and will also help us in determining the exact points for anchoring the shocks to the frame. Offhand, I'm interested in ride-adjustable Rancho RS9000XL shocks, at this point in time. These are remote enabled, and allow you to adjust the ride quality over many different types of settings...from very soft to almost rock hard. These are very interesting high tech shocks. I'll be talking more about them, and the steering stabilizer options, in the next post. However, whether or not we actually INSTALL this hardware, is another matter...which I'll be doing only after extensive input from our expert on the subject, Talat Bhai.

I'm a happy camper!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Probably, because this is the correct number.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Probably, because this is the correct number.
    Thanks again, brother. You're indeed, right. That is the correct number. I was JUST on the phone with the gentleman. He's given me a complete breakdown for front and rear air lockers, a double air locker compressor which can be used for tyre refilling too, and a Safari snorkel system.

The diff locks were the ONE thing which I'd REALLY regretted not having on the Phantom...it seems that is about to change, now, Insha Allah!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Thanks again, brother. You're indeed, right. That is the correct number. I was JUST on the phone with the gentleman. He's given me a complete breakdown for front and rear air lockers, a double air locker compressor which can be used for tyre refilling too, and a Safari snorkel system.

The diff locks were the ONE thing which I'd REALLY regretted not having on the Phantom...it seems that is about to change, now, Insha Allah!
    Fouad bhai, any idea on cost for ARB diff and compressor? do we have technical know how to get it installed properly? I'm also contemplating air locker but not sure if our mechanics can do the job properly.
    I may get Lost But I don't get stuck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nomi1234 View Post
    Fouad bhai, any idea on cost for ARB diff and compressor? do we have technical know how to get it installed properly? I'm also contemplating air locker but not sure if our mechanics can do the job properly.
    According to the information I've gotten, Nomi, a rear air locker will cost PKR 135K (which includes the air locker itself and the compressor). If you want to add a front locker, that will set you back by PKR 115K more (since you'll be buying just the locker, not the compressor). All told, PKR 240K.

Regarding the installation, I'm told that the set comes with a self-explanatory video which makes it very easy to install the lockers. Here's the catch though: you have to be EXTRA careful with measurements and the like, in order to get the correct lockers. If you're running a stock vehicle, there should be no problem at all. The problem, however, crops up with modified vehicles (like the Phantom; which is a Series 40 Land Cruiser, with Series 60 axles, running a 7:37 guchha). However, Aleem saab (the ARB stockist) has told me that he'd be able to do the exact measurements, rattle off the details to Australia, and obtain advice from them via email, as to which part would fit the vehicle correctly. He also tells me he's quite cable of installing the air lockers himself.

I hope that adequately addresses your question, brother.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Here's a video for the ARB Air Lockers...

ARB Air Locker Video - YouTube

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks Fouad sb for quick reply. i have seen the installation videos, and even though it appears quite painless, nothing is, around here.. so i'm cautious. but if Aleem sb can do it then i guess we can get it done from him.. price seems about right as normally you get just the locker for about $1k and another $250 or so for the compressor.
    I may get Lost But I don't get stuck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks Fouad sb for quick reply. i have seen the installation videos, and even though it appears quite painless, nothing is, around here.. so i'm cautious. but if Aleem sb can do it then i guess we can get it done from him.. price seems about right as normally you get just the locker for about $1k and another $250 or so for the compressor.
    Perhaps we should gang up on him and beat his price down, together...yeh kehte huey ke hum ussey dugna business de rahey hain.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In all honesty, though, you're pretty much spot on, when you say that the price ISN'T too steep.

Some OTHER goodies I've found out about, are a genuine Safari snorkel for the FJ (PKR 52K) and an ARB fridge/freezer (78 litre capacity, PKR 170K)...

Hazaaron khwahishein aisi ke har khwahish pe dam nikle...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quick Update

Tentatively, Saturday has been affixed as the day for the engine's first start! I have the feeling that a LOT of photos and videos will be forthcoming on this weekend!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

On my way to Pindi, I was unable to stop myself from going to see the Phantom, at City Sadar Road...even though the place was closed (because of Friday). The beast is looking absolutely beautiful!

This was the first look I got of the Phantom outside of Jamil Ustaad's rather cramped shop. And I must hasten to say...he's done an utterly stunning job. The overall impression is one of...menace. The stance, the ride height, the width, the overall dimensions...are...intimidating.

It was dusk when I reached there...certainly not photography light; so I didn't take any pictures. However, there WILL be at least a HUNDRED of them tomorrow! From every angle, no less. With snaps of the engine mounted in the engine bay...the transmission...and the layout of the axles. If we're lucky enough to be able to start up the engine by tomorrow afternoon, I'll try and make sure that we have a video of the first start too, Insha Allah.

Keeping fingers crossed!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

On my way to Pindi, I was unable to stop myself from going to see the Phantom, at City Sadar Road...even though the place was closed (because of Friday). The beast is looking absolutely beautiful!

This was the first look I got of the Phantom outside of Jamil Ustaad's rather cramped shop. And I must hasten to say...he's done an utterly stunning job. The overall impression is one of...menace. The stance, the ride height, the width, the overall dimensions...are...intimidating.

It was dusk when I reached there...certainly not photography light; so I didn't take any pictures. However, there WILL be at least a HUNDRED of them tomorrow! From every angle, no less. With snaps of the engine mounted in the engine bay...the transmission...and the layout of the axles. If we're lucky enough to be able to start up the engine by tomorrow afternoon, I'll try and make sure that we have a video of the first start too, Insha Allah.

Keeping fingers crossed!
    Best of luck

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zhbjadoon View Post
    Best of luck
    Thank you, brother.

Would I appear to be over excited, if I were to admit that I've been up since 5:30 in the morning, polishing the lens to my camera...and resisting the urge to phone the mechanics to "be there by 7am"?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you, brother.

Would I appear to be over excited, if I were to admit that I've been up since 5:30 in the morning, polishing the lens to my camera...and resisting the urge to phone the mechanics to "be there by 7am"?

hope to see the pic soon now im more excited to see the beast

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Today was a great day!

It was a mini-gathering of sorts for some PakWheelers (myself, Guru Ji Aamir Bhai, and Yasir Khan a.k.a khanrocks) at Nikku Ustaad's place...where we got together for some critical analysis of the Phantom.

The Phantom was also properly "visible" for the first time, too, as it was standing in the open...and these were its first pictures of the beast outside of Jamil Ustaad's workshop. Needless to say, I'm thoroughly pleased with the way it's shaped up.

Without further ado...the pictures!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403529 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403530 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403531

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403533 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403534 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403535

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403537 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403538 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403539 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403540

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403543 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403544 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403545 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403546 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403547

+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 73 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

User Tag List