0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok, brothers...it's time for a crucial moment of reckoning.

The paint job.

I've absolutely wracked my brains trying to figure out which colour would look best on this beast. Even today, a great deal of time was spent with Guru Ji and Asim, on "arguing" which colour should be chosen, or not. Comparative merits and demerits were discussed threadbare. Pros and cons were carefully weighed...

...and we STILL didn't come up with anything conclusive!

A request from some of the readers, then. If you could be so kind as to attach photos of ANY vehicle (preferably an FJ 40, but any will really do), of the colour you think would look best on this beast, I'd be very grateful, indeed. I think it'd serve as an inspiration of sorts...since personally, I seem to have encountered an "artistic mental stumbling block" in making an informed decision about the paint job.

Cheers.

Fouad.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

LOL at nearest Cowrolla!!

Anyhow going offtopic if you dont mind. I saw in one of your posts, you own a beautiful range rover Mashallah, I thought to ask as you also own land cruisers at the same time. How difficult is it to maintain it and costy when compared to the 100 series LC or any other LC. What are the negative points. I am thinking to go for the 2003+ shape. Maintaing any LC is costy but piece of cake as parts are available abundantly and also due to its simpler electronics, its not that hard to fix them.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    LOL at nearest Cowrolla!!

Anyhow going offtopic if you dont mind. I saw in one of your posts, you own a beautiful range rover Mashallah, I thought to ask as you also own land cruisers at the same time. How difficult is it to maintain it and costy when compared to the 100 series LC or any other LC. What are the negative points. I am thinking to go for the 2003+ shape. Maintaing any LC is costy but piece of cake as parts are available abundantly and also due to its simpler electronics, its not that hard to fix them.
    To be entirely honest, Saad, the Range Rover is a strange beast, indeed. It's as tough as nails, yet supremely temperamental and finicky, too. It's the very epitome of luxury, yet, is also a very capable off-roader, indeed. It comes chock-full of every imaginable accessory, option, and amenity...yet under it all, it's an animal that is happy when it's pushed hard.

But then...you asked about negative points, so I'll try and be brutally candid in highlighting some peeves.

1. The engine immobilizer system can become a PITA at times.
    2. While I've never encountered any problems, the EAS (Electronic Air Suspension) can suffer from sudden catastrophic failure, and leave you helpless and stranded, on occasion.
    3. The EFM (electronic fuel management) system ECU can be very problematic, indeed. I've personally had to change three!
    4. Replacement parts are terribly rare, and very expensive. I have an RR half-cut stashed away (engine, transmission, dashboard, front suspension, hood, front bumper, lights, etc)...on "just in case" basis!

The positive side perhaps outweighs ALL the negatives. This is a BEAUTIFUL ride. UTTERLY beautiful. Something which exudes presence and class and a quiet, laidback dignity...that other SUVs can only aspire to. Each and every time, a Range Rover will make the Porsche Cayennes and BMW X5s and TLC 200s and VW Touaregs, and the rest of the new kids on the block, look...well...kinda pedestrian, in comparison.

If the latter is important to you...a Range Rover is THE ultimate off-road capable machine. And I use "off-road capable machine" rather than "off-road machine", only because (like me) you'll never EVER take it off road!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

P.S. The ONLY "off-roadish" trip I undertook with this Range Rover, was when I transported it from Islamabad to Panjgur...and then brought it back, a few months later. A considerable portion of this journey was on goat tracks rather than roads. I must admit, that on those trips...the RR was like a behemoth; simply steam-rolling over every bump and ditch and minor obstacle enroute.

For HARDCORE off-roading? I wouldn't really be able to comment. I've never really thrashed it about the way I would my FZJ, for example.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for the detailed reply. Need to ask few more questions From where do you source its parts, especially daily maintanence parts? And how expensive are they? Lets take suspension system, The hydropnumetic suspension cost around 5+ lacs and I have changed on both of my 100s. What will be the approx price for renewing the air suspension on RR? I am not looking for a showoff/glamour vehicle and not interested to repairs all the time thats why got ride of MB W220. Dont like the G or ML etc class and find the Porsche Cayenne's ride very harsh and a ******* when it comes to toughness. Or should I stick to LC? LX570 is what I would love to own too.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Touch wood...I've never HAD to undergo any major repairs. If such repairs were warranted...I really have no idea how I'd go about tackling them, to be completely honest.

The EAS has held up (Allah be praised), the engine gets minimal running (say 50 odd kilometers a month), and the electronics have generally behaved (less one problem which STILL persists). And yet, I STILL have that half-cut stashed away. That should be an indication in itself, of the paucity of parts in the local market. To exemplify this, let me quote a little story about my favourite "Range Rover Nightmare" (every RR owner has at LEAST one of them, and they still love their RR to pieces. As do I!).

One of my drivers, decided to connect the terminals of the battery incorrectly, which resulted in a power surge that fried the RR's ECU. The vehicle would simply NOT start, at all. It was like a massive paperweight...pretty, but completely motionless, and entirely useless. I changed one, which I was able to get locally (I was in Quetta at the time). The short circuiting in the power supply promptly fried that one, too. So...I got yet another. AND a new power supply. And it worked fine for a while. After that, the RR developed a strange problem. It would drain the battery overnight, because for some (still unknown) reasons, the vehicle would keep locking and unlocking the doors, switching the lights on and off, and would suddenly decide that it needed to give a report on how the airbags were not working, even when the machine was turned off, and the key would be removed from the switch! I went absolutely nuts, trying to figure out what it was...and I STILL don't actually know. NEITHER do Sigma Motors in Islamabad, btw. The solution I was forced to adopt is a desi one; a 100 rupee chor switch, which cuts off the electric current, before it enters the power supply. This way, the battery is saved from draining out, completely.

For the daily stuff, it's fairly straight forward, since a great many everyday bits are interoperable with Land Rovers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As for the last part of your query...should you buy an RR, or stick to a TLC.

I suppose it ultimately boils down to your personal preference, brother. Given a choice...during everyday life, if I were to keep ONE vehicle, and no other...it'd be the Range Rover because of its styling, class, poise and dignity, every time. On the other hand, if the end of the world was nigh, and I had to choose ONE vehicle to see me through to the apocalypse, it'd be the TLC because of its reliability, dependability, indestructibility, and simplicity, every time.

And I realise...that analogy doesn't really make your decision making process any easier!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

oh well for the colours , i like 3 colours on FJ well if u want to go unique try the chrome colours :p

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403830

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403832

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403833
    Si G n A T u R E

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fahad992 View Post
    oh well for the colours , i like 3 colours on FJ well if u want to go unique try the chrome colours :p

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 403830

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 403832

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 403833
    That wine red in the middle, is REALLY hot, Fahad!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A Crazy Paint Job Idea

Zebra Stripes!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403969

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default And Another

Tiger Stripes!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403971

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

going great bhai,when v r expecting this beast to roar ?
    CHOUDHRY ALI - GOLD & GREEN because Old is gold and hybrids are green

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Colour Combinations

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403986 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403987 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403988 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403989

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403990 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403991 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403992 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403993

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403996 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403997 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403998 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -403999

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Go for the Red wine. Awesome

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2
    JDM cars rock! Bus duty khatum karo pls

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404000 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404001 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404002 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404003

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404005 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404006 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404007 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404008

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by chali View Post
    going great bhai,when v r expecting this beast to roar ?
    Hi, Ali!

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Tentatively, this should take about another month, or so. Please keep up the good wishes!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A Zebra Patterned 80 Series

I LOVE this paint job.

Thank you for the idea, Saad!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -404019

+ Reply to Thread
Page 39 of 73 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

User Tag List