0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Long Distance Update

I was just on the phone with Nikku and Imran Ustaads. A great deal of the discussion focused on steering geometry, traction bars, steering stabilizers, and the like.

In my eagerness to get things set up just right, I think I MAY have been guilty of jumping the gun somewhat. Thankfully, though, the duo of Ustaads talked better sense into me, by insisting that we wait until the Phantom gets a bit of a road / off-road trial. That way, only THOSE modifications will be carried out, which are REALLY required...rather than spending time and money on a PERCEIVED need, which may NOT be needed, after all.

Logical advice!
    Hit and Trial is the name of the game in Pakistan.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    Hit and Trial is the name of the game in Pakistan.
    You're right. At best, you can visualise / conceptualise what you want and then make plans in anticipation. On the other hand, sourcing of parts, availability of trained experts, and a general lack of awareness on so many modifications that might be required, dictate how our rebuilds progress.

Thus far, I've been fairly lucky with the Phantom. But then, that has largely been due to the quality of the rebuild team...plus the fact that the exacting, difficult, laborious work pertaining to mechanicals, suspension, steering, and propulsion has only JUST begun.

Let's just hope that my luck holds out for a while longer!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As of 15 minutes ago...

...the Phantom lives!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I've just gotten off the phone with Irfan (my driver), who's been overseeing the work on the cars in my forced absence from Pindi between the weekends.

According to him, the first start was actually anti-climactic...because they were expecting that the engine (which is, after all, a second-hand one) would require some coaxing before it started. However, the first crank of the key,and it fired to life!

Irfan was even more excited than me, when he told me about this. The engine apparently purrs at low revs, and REALLY generates some decibels at higher revs. The gear is slick and engages beautifully. Understandably, he didn't drive it around too much, but as a trial, he did nudge it against a road partition (divider) near City Sadar Road, over which the machine climbed effortlessly. In THIRD gear, from a standstill!

Apparently, those 7:37 diffs are doing a great job.

So is the steering, which (according to Irfan) "turns with a single finger"...although the steering DOES need to be fixed slightly, since (as yet), the "cut" is somewhat inequal.

Pick is "der aala", and the drive is "bilkul makhan ki tarah". The throttle response rivals "petrol waali gaadiyaan". All of which are Irfan's superlatives...not mine!

Now, I realise that in his exuberance, Irfan MAY be going somewhat over the top with his accolades. This is something I'm going to have to verify for myself over the weekend, Insha Allah.

It's a nice feeling to cross milestones, though!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congrats sirjee. Looks like a dream come true for all of us enthusiasts even though it's not my ride I'm Actually very excited and happy about it . One thing I'll like to mention is that even though you may have spent a hell lot of money on the phantom which for sure made it look apart, the amazing point is that you have done it way too quickly. Best wishes.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    Congrats sirjee. Looks like a dream come true for all of us enthusiasts even though it's not my ride I'm Actually very excited and happy about it . One thing I'll like to mention is that even though you may have spent a hell lot of money on the phantom which for sure made it look apart, the amazing point is that you have done it way too quickly. Best wishes.
    Thank you, brother

Perhaps the congratulations are just a teeny bit premature...because I sense there's going to be a LOT of stuff still to continue. There's going to be loads and loads of tests and trials and sorting out niggling little problems that are bound to crop up. The "final" denting is STILL to be completed. The interior has hardly STARTED, yet. And then, the paint job is a PITA of a totally different kind, altogether!

Like I was saying earlier, though...it's a good feeling that the fruits of labour (and money) are finally becoming visible. Credit must go to the rebuild team for having worked tirelessly on the project, thus far. And as always, the advice and opinion, and good wishes of friends (romans, and countrymen alike) have been instrumental in getting to even THIS mile-marker, with relatively no problems, within a reasonably short period of time.

Cheers, Saad.

Thanks again!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    I've just gotten off the phone with Irfan (my driver), who's been overseeing the work on the cars in my forced absence from Pindi during the weekends.

According to him, the first start was actually anti-climactic...because they were expecting that the engine (which is, after all, a second-hand one) would require some coaxing before it started. However, the first crank of the key,and it fired to life!

Irfan was even more excited than me, when he told me about this. The engine apparently purrs at low revs, and REALLY generates some decibels at higher revs. The gear is slick and engages beautifully. Understandably, he didn't drive it around too much, but as a trial, he did nudge it against a road partition (divider) near City Sadar Road, over which the machine climbed effortlessly. In THIRD gear, from a standstill!

Apparently, those 7:37 diffs are doing a great job.

So is the steering, which (according to Irfan) "turns with a single finger"...although the steering DOES need to be fixed slightly, since (as yet), the "cut" is somewhat inequal.

Pick is "der aala", and the drive is "bilkul makhan ki tarah". The throttle response rivals "petrol waali gaadiyaan". All of which are Irfan's superlatives...not mine!

Now, I realise that in his exuberance, Irfan MAY be going somewhat over the top with his accolades. This is something I'm going to have to verify for myself over the weekend, Insha Allah.

It's a nice feeling to cross milestones, though!
    Your driver Irfan is a lucky man....the update is mouth watering
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    Your driver Irfan is a lucky man....the update is mouth watering
    You're absolutely right about Irfan. I envy his job! LOL

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mubarak on first crank... its time to celebrate the phases of project Punga... and sweet is due on you... in case you are absent from the project, please tell someone to keep sharing sweet on you behalf seriously
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You're absolutely right, Boss...Mithai to banti hai!

Inshallah, I'll be present at City Sadar Road with a tokra on Saturday!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another quick update: we've got the shocks fitted onto the beast. The shock absorbers are Rancho RS5000s (front and rear) which (according to Irfan) look absolutely smashing, and fit like a charm. Also, a temporary exhaust has also been bolted onto the engine, so that the Phantom sounds somewhat civilized now.

As advised by Akif Janjua sahib, we aren't putting on the steering dampers just yet. Those will come on, only once we get everything with the steering perfectly sorted out. And that too, only if needed.

On another happy note...the Phantom is going to be home over the weekend for test and trial. I have the feeling I MAY end up doing nasty things to it!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom's Nest

By Allah's grace, the Phantom spent its first night at home, after I'd thrashed it about some, yesterday.

The detailed de-briefing about performance, trouble areas, problems and required improvements will follow...but for now, here're some pictures of the beast, OUTSIDE of the confines of City Sadar Road!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406498 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406499 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406500

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406501 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406502 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406503

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406505 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406506 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -406507

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Looking good!

What sort of tyre pressures do you have or should be kept in these monsters!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And...a short clip of the 1HZ firing up...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rsp6Qk1LmkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Looking good!

What sort of tyre pressures do you have or should be kept in these monsters!
    Thanks for the good wishes, boss.

According to what I've read off the 'Net, Super Swampers of this size, should maintain the following tyre pressures:-

Extreme Off-Roading (Mud, Sand, Rock): 0-5 PSI (with a beadlock)
    "Normal" Off-Roading: 5-20 PSI (beadlock may be required for lower pressures)
    Tarmac Use: >20 PSI

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

To me the cranking required to start the engine seemed rather prolonged, once started the engine sounded lovely though!

Any plans for bead locks, otherwise I feel keeping tyre pressure 15psi + would be necessary, as filling up these monsters with ordinary portable pumps would be impossible if it ever does deflate during offroading. Would be worth enquiring what sort of tyre pressures ordinary tractors here use for their rear tyres during normal use?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Many many congratulations sir, it sounds great.

And, "AIK AZAAD MULK KAY AZAAD SHEHRI KI HESIAT SE HAM SAB KO APNI KHWAHISHAAT KA IZHAAR KARNA CHAHIYE". "SIR AAP KI GAARI KO DEKH DEKH KAY AANKHAIN KHARAAB HO GAI HAIN, KYA KABHI ISS MAIN BETHNAY KA BHI MAUQA MILAY GA"? If yes, than please i am going to be the first one to sit on the co driver's seat with you. I really want to see myself on top of the world.

Guys, lets make a list, off course with the permission of the owner
    1. Noman Hadi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 73 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

User Tag List