Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 73 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
Results 881 to 900 of 1443
Like Tree1362Likes

Thread: The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

  1. #1
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

    When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

    Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

    Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

    This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

    While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

    Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

    For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

    And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  2. #881
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    khanrocks's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Select City
    Posts
    3,144
    Follows
    4
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    WOW !!!

    It looking SMASHING out in the sun ... and its even going to look better with MATT BLACK .. YUM YUM ...

    As I was away for a few days due to some road trips and workshop days i was really very much looking forward for some great update But to see it OUT side in the sun and u making the first test drive is really Awesome ...

    " I can imagine a Wicked Smile on your face while thrashing it Around "

    Cant wait to get a Ride in it
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

  3. #882
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    WOW !!!

    It looking SMASHING out in the sun ... and its even going to look better with MATT BLACK .. YUM YUM ...

    As I was away for a few days due to some road trips and workshop days i was really very much looking forward for some great update But to see it OUT side in the sun and u making the first test drive is really Awesome ...

    " I can imagine a Wicked Smile on your face while thrashing it Around "

    Cant wait to get a Ride in it
    The words of appreciation and encouragement bring an even BIGGER smile to my face, Yasir!

    Like I've posted elsewhere, there's still a LOT to be done with the beast. By conservative estimates, Jamil Ustaad (the denter) is going to take at LEAST a month to 6 weeks more to bring everything up to speed on the coachwork front. THEN the test and adjustment phase. THEN the paint. THEN the interior / ergonomics / amenities of life. So yes...the completion is still a while away.

    But you're right...it's a great feeling getting to ride this beast which is being reincarnated from the ashes of a stock FJ40...even if it's just a rolling hunk of metal, for now. By the grace of Allah...it's starting to finally look the way I'd dared hope it would. For the first start-up...it's also BEHAVING fairly decently. Of course...making it perform as good as it looks (on ground rather than theoretically), is going to be a real challenge.

    Looking forward to the continued support, and guidance, and best wishes, brother!

    Cheers.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  4. #883
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Check List For A Few Essential Items

    1. Snorkel.
    2. Recaro / Sparco seats for the front (already have the GMC seats for the rear).
    3. Additional lights for the bumper and roof...MUST start looking around, already!
    4. Dynamat sound/heat insulation...WHERE am I going to find THAT?!
    5. Arrangements for the upright chimney exhaust. Locally fabricated from new, or do I buy one off a scrapped M35?
    6. Beadlocks. Locally available?
    7. Compressor, for maintaining en site air pressure in those huge tyres.
    8. Spare cans.
    9. Tool box.
    10. Hi Lift Jack (already purchased).
    11. Tow strap / chain.

    And the most important item...Paracetamol. LOTS of Paracetamol.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  5. #884
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    qwertypoiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    29,130
    Follows
    2
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Custom bull bar and custom mounts on the bar for additional lights in addition to that something like the wrangler type lights with the windscreen or something like this tacuma

    ref pix

    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - MBRP Off Camber Fabrication Series Windshield Light Brackets for Jeep Wrangler 1 large
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 Toyota Long Beach Racers Tacoma Front Angle 588x392

    something for the Roof

    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 11232 21

    for the ogirinal FJ40 head lamps i would suggest IPF head light inserts... and roof and windscreen ones should be HID series. Bumper Normal halogen as they are totally water proof.

    should have 3 buttons 1 for bull bar lights one for windscreen one for roof. and set as if all buttons are on and you are on low beam nothing should work. they should only work on high beam
    RIP

  6. #885
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Custom bull bar and custom mounts on the bar for additional lights in addition to that something like the wrangler type lights with the windscreen or something like this tacuma

    ref pix

    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - MBRP Off Camber Fabrication Series Windshield Light Brackets for Jeep Wrangler 1 large
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 Toyota Long Beach Racers Tacoma Front Angle 588x392

    something for the Roof

    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 11232 21

    for the ogirinal FJ40 head lamps i would suggest IPF head light inserts... and roof and windscreen ones should be HID series. Bumper Normal halogen as they are totally water proof.

    should have 3 buttons 1 for bull bar lights one for windscreen one for roof. and set as if all buttons are on and you are on low beam nothing should work. they should only work on high beam
    Terrific ideas.

    Some TruckLite LEDs mounted on a Thule rack for the roof, a set of IPF Halogens for the bumper, a GoLight Stryker HiD mounted on the hood, and 55W HiDs instead of normal sealed beams.

    A couple of million candlepower!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  7. #886
    PakWheeler Follow
    chali's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    29
    Posts
    677
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Check List For A Few Essential Items

    1. Snorkel.
    2. Recaro / Sparco seats for the front (already have the GMC seats for the rear).
    3. Additional lights for the bumper and roof...MUST start looking around, already!
    4. Dynamat sound/heat insulation...WHERE am I going to find THAT?!
    5. Arrangements for the upright chimney exhaust. Locally fabricated from new, or do I buy one off a scrapped M35?
    6. Beadlocks. Locally available?
    7. Compressor, for maintaining en site air pressure in those huge tyres.
    8. Spare cans.
    9. Tool box.
    10. Hi Lift Jack (already purchased).
    11. Tow strap / chain.

    And the most important item...Paracetamol. LOTS of Paracetamol.
    where did u buy this high lift jack from? im desperately looking for one
    CHOUDHRY ALI - GOLD & GREEN because Old is gold and hybrids are green

  8. #887
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    @chali: A fellow Pakwheeler who uses the screen name "veitnam" has opened a thread for the jack, Ali. His real name is Mr Irshad Miskeen. Give him an IM, or send him a message on his thread.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  9. #888
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Now that we're nearing the end of the coachwork phase...it's high time to start thinking about the interior, too.

    This is another area I've thought long and hard about. I had harboured plans of fitting an RKR dashboard to the inside of the cabin...but later on, I realised that this would go against the "ethos" of the vehicle I was trying to create. The Phantom MAY be an amalgam of parts culled from 60 and 70 Series TLCs...but it's very much a '40, nonetheless!

    Whilst scouring the internet, I cam across these two beautiful pictures of a "stock" dashboard fitted to a '40. Let's see how capable I am at replicating / improving upon this model!


    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -408003 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -408004
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  10. #889
    PakWheeler Follow
    chali's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Islamabad
    Age
    29
    Posts
    677
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default for ur eyes only

    don mind the spellings
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -408054
    RC FJ40
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -408055
    THIS KIND OF LIGHTS SET UP
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -408056

    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -408057

    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -408058
    CHOUDHRY ALI - GOLD & GREEN because Old is gold and hybrids are green

  11. #890
    PakWheeler Follow
    megatron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    27
    Posts
    214
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Salam,

    A heartiest congratulations on getting this close to building something this beautiful! Loved the sound of the engine...its simple orgasmic!

    BTW did anyone notice how an unknown man literally "popped" from under the monster just when the engine fired? Looks like the monster's a mom now

    Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    And...a short clip of the 1HZ firing up...

    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/rsp6Qk1LmkE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    Regards

  12. #891
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by megatron View Post
    Salam,

    A heartiest congratulations on getting this close to building something this beautiful! Loved the sound of the engine...its simple orgasmic!

    BTW did anyone notice how an unknown man literally "popped" from under the monster just when the engine fired? Looks like the monster's a mom now



    Regards
    LOL

    Actually, the "unknown man" is my very trusty driver Irfan (who, I must say, has been THE driving force behind making this beast). In the video, he's seen "hotwiring" the Phantom...hence the delayed start!

    And thank you for the words of encouragement. As always, coming from all the multitude of friends, brothers, enthusiasts alike...they serve as inspiration to keep the project plodding on.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  13. #892
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Long Distance Update

    Work at Jamil Ustaad's place continues at a brisk pace. At this stage, it consists mostly of revetment, reinforcement and refinement...to the doors, the top, the rear cowling, the bonnet, the mudguards and the pickup tub. The wheel-arch trim will be fitted sometime in the very near future, too. Miscellaneous fabrications like the side-step/nudge bar, the roll cage, the bumper/winch fitting, will wait until after this weekend.

    Also planned for this weekend: a visit to Tarnol, to check up on M35 upright exhausts.

    At the same time, a hunt for parts also continues. The air conditioner blower, the heater blower, the gauge cluster panel for the dashboard, a new steering wheel, a set of rear lights, a new windscreen...all these are in the process of being procured.

    To be brutallyly honest, I don't believe that the beast is going to be COMPLETELY ready any time before Independence Day (the middle of August). Any time before THAT, will simply be time saved.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  14. #893
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    I just re-read this thread. It never fails to inspire me.

    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...uck-pakistan-5
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  15. #894
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    vague_one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,556
    Follows
    14
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Bro, JazakAllah for the correspondence, was a blast talking to you....Detailing Crew is looking forward to put in their contribution now that you are nearing the end line…..marvelous journey till yet…..attention to every aspect of the build….from the steering clock down to the gearing…..not a 4 x 4 guy, but this labour of love just makes the inner “marlboro man” come out and raise his hand for a piece of the action! Wish you all the best for the remaining build!<o:p></o:p>
    OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Detailer)

  16. #895
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vague_one View Post
    Bro, JazakAllah for the correspondence, was a blast talking to you....Detailing Crew is looking forward to put in their contribution now that you are nearing the end line…..marvelous journey till yet…..attention to every aspect of the build….from the steering clock down to the gearing…..not a 4 x 4 guy, but this labour of love just makes the inner “marlboro man” come out and raise his hand for a piece of the action! Wish you all the best for the remaining build!<o:p></o:p>
    The pleasure was entirely mine, Usman! We must (and I suspect WILL) do this more often.

    A handful of months from now I hope to be able to drive this beast to you, and let your crew of geniuses work some magic with it. Meanwhile, as per our discussion, I'm exploring various options for the actual finish. The masking/wrapping/cladding options we spoke about are very much a possibility!

    Thanks for the good wishes, brother. Stay safe and happy.

    Best regards.

    Fouad.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  17. #896
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    hidalgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    26
    Posts
    6,627
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    148 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    been through this thread in 1 go
    fouad bhai i liked the way you role at a time ap ne kafi pangay liay huay hn this monster and old school muscle cars
    kool
    good luck with ur projects
    legend will revive soon

  18. #897
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hidalgo View Post
    been through this thread in 1 go
    fouad bhai i liked the way you role at a time ap ne kafi pangay liay huay hn this monster and old school muscle cars
    kool
    good luck with ur projects
    Thank you for the good wishes, brother.

    And as for engaging in multiple "pungas"...

    Jahaan satya naas...wahaan sawa satya naas sahi!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  19. #898
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    fouadhafeez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rawalpindi
    Age
    50
    Posts
    2,698
    Follows
    7
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Things progress slowly-but-surely with the Phantom.

    The "final" denting has commenced...which is a good thing. I'm finally getting a sense of urgency to finish the job, from Jamil Ustaad and Co. Probably because the Phantom is occupying all the space in his shop! Beautiful, gleaming, shiny sheet-metal is finally starting to peer out from under the grime of ages. Very heartening, indeed.

    Sorry guys...too tired to post pictures. Maybe some, tomorrow.

    Cheers.

    Fouad.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

  20. #899
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    aamir567's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,953
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Waiting for latest set of pictures
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

  21. #900
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    vague_one's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    36
    Posts
    5,556
    Follows
    14
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Things progress slowly-but-surely with the Phantom.

    The "final" denting has commenced...which is a good thing. I'm finally getting a sense of urgency to finish the job, from Jamil Ustaad and Co. Probably because the Phantom is occupying all the space in his shop! Beautiful, gleaming, shiny sheet-metal is finally starting to peer out from under the grime of ages. Very heartening, indeed.

    Sorry guys...too tired to post pictures. Maybe some, tomorrow.

    Cheers.

    Fouad.
    Sorta seems like the situation where on new years eve yer staring at the clock an waiting to start the party! Bhai jan, mutating a quote from Spiderman " With great projects, comes great responsibility" The eyes of many are waiting for those shots.............
    OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Detailer)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 45 of 73 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

User Tag List

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •