0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Topless Pictures

Like all hot things, the FJ looks better without its top too. Right?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -325026 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -325027
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Like all hot things, the FJ looks better without its top too. Right?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 325026 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 325027
    Nice looks - IMHO this particular beast of yours just need paint and few inches lift for better clearance and then it can conquer any terrain.
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Nice looks - IMHO this particular beast of yours just need paint and few inches lift for better clearance and then it can conquer any terrain.
    Thanks, bro. In the evening, we got to start up the beast, since it was missing a battery, and the fuel line to the gas tank had been disconnected. The Ustaad who I'd called did a good job of fitting a used water bottle to the fuel line (as a jugaar), after we fitted a new 100 aH battery.

One flick of the switch, and the engine roared to life! Initial diagnostics seem to suggest that the engine is in pretty decent shape, with just minimal blow, if any. This of course is to be expected, since it's been standing for the past 8-9 months, and hasn't really received the TLC it deserves.

However, after the initial static inspection, I insisted on taking it out for a bit of a test drive (about 3-4 km). The pick is good...the sound is good...the brakes are not so good. The steering is pretty responsive...the gears slot into place, perfectly. The transfer case shifts from low to high, with precision, and doesn't stick, at all.

In short, I'm overjoyed!

From tomorrow onwards, the Punga goes to receive some necessary attention. On the cards:-

1) Oil changes (gear, motor, brake, diff, etc).
    2) Flushing (fuel tank, radiator, brake line).
    3) Lubrication (axles, hubs, suspension).
    4) Tuneup.
    5) Electricals.

I have a feeling that the beast should be good to go, in another 5-6 days. When that happens, I'll probably shift it to Pindi for some expert work, pertaining to the suspension lift, etcetera.

Cheers!

Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Somewhere on this site, I read a wonderful story about a 64 VW Beetle that the owner had repainted using selective truck art. The Foxy was later exported to Canada, where it has won a great number of awards in various VW shows. Below, is a photograph I found of another VW Beetle that a German diplomat got painted in truck art design, and later exported to Germany.

The reason I ask this is...do we have any serious Off-Road vehicles in customised Truck-Art paint jobs? And your views, please...would an FJ40 look ludicrously hot or not, decked out in Truck Art?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 321322
    its a hard decision to take.... it might turn out pathetic
    (1)Austin of England, a35, 1958, 850cc,,, (2) Mercedes benz , w202, C - 180 ,,, (3) 2003 HONDA CITY,,,, (4) Triumph TRW 500cc, 1952,,,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by wasifali89 View Post
    its a hard decision to take.... it might turn out pathetic
    Agreed. I'd probably NOT get it decked out completely. Just add a few embellishments to the wheel arches, fenders, hood, rear quarter panels, and bumpers, though. But you're right...it still MIGHT turn out to look horrible.

Caution is the key...LOL.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

For the past couple of days, the Beast has been undergoing some work at the mechanic's shop here in Kharian. Happy to report the following:-

The suspension is perfect. Just had it maintained, with very little work to be done. Tie-rod ends done to perfection. No more squeaks or rattles, at all!

The brakes were slightly problematic. The pedal was a little too danda for my comfort, so bled the entire brake line. Fitted a new brake shoe to the front left tire. Wheels balanced. Hand brake made effective. Axles greased. Shocks replaced. Silencer is fine. Just added a bush between the pipe and the dholki.

Radiator flushed. Petrol tank, too. Both are working perfectly.

New battery and new gauges fitted. Electrical wiring almost complete (I could have stuck to the old one, but it was kind of messy-looking). All essential oils have been changed. Fuel tank flushed. Lights being made functional. The gear is slotting into place beautifully. The 4wd engages effortlessly.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with the way the vehicle seems to be shaping up. Am thinking of driving from Kharian to Pindi, over the weekend, to give it its first long road test. Might stop enroute to see how it responds off road.

P.S. Have discovered a pretty decent trader here in Kharian who has some NOS (New Old Spares) parts. Am getting the complete inventory from him, pertaining to the FJ40. Will share it with those friends who're in need of any items they can't find elsewhere (AFTER I've grabbed a hold of most of them...LOL).

Regards...Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Waiting for the pix. Very nice n clean ride mash-Allah
    All the best

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Pehli Moti Khareedari

This weekend saw me visit Pindi along with the Beast. Whilst meeting my Ustaadji, who is going to be rebuilding the vehicle, we got around to talking about tyres.

Now, I had already seen some Nitto tyres with a dealer, who were 295/75/16...which is a pretty good height, and pretty broad width. I had planned that I would buy these tyres, straight away, and store them until I was ready to build.

Lekin...whilst roaming around I laid my eyes on the tyres shown in the picture below. These are Super Swamper TSL tyres, whose size is 15/42-15LT. When I fed these figures into the Tyre Size Calculator on this thread...it turns out the tyre size is 385/110/15. Whoa!

Take a look for yourself. The first two pictures show the Swampers next to a regular 7.00x16LT tyre. The last picture shows the tyre next to Zulfiqar and Irfan, whilst they're cleaning it. Irfan (on the right), is 6 ft tall. So it gives you an idea of the enormity of these wheels!

Another thing that has happened, is that the wheels / tyres have crystallised a lot of ideas in my mind, which I was merely considering, earlier on. These beautiful wheels are going to be the basis around which the entire FJ rebuild is going to take place. I am of the view that the 1HD / 1HD-T or 1HZ engine, along with Land Cruiser series 100 axles / differentials, and a 5 speed manual gearbox MIGHT be a good (although costly) option to provide the necessary torque and power to propel the beast. I want the Punga to be both a removable hard top, and bikini top. I want a Prado dashboard. With air-conditioning. And heat. I want Recaro seats. A roll cage. A beautiful, plush rear seat. On the matter of the mechanicals, I would really, REALLY like some input / technical expertise from friends online who are more experienced than I when it comes to technical details.

Baarish ke pehle qatrey ke baad, aage aage dekhiye hota hai kiya.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -328561 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -328562 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -328563

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

A couple of questions I'd like to pose to experts:-

1) How good is the 2F engine of the FJ40?

2) Viz a viz price (I'm told that the 1HD-T is in the region of Rs. 3-3.5 lakhs)...would it be a good idea to upgrade engines, or should I stick to the 2F engine?

3) Viz a viz cost, which gearbox would be a good one for the Beast? The stock tranny or the Land Cruiser 100 series gearbox?

4) Axles: stock or modified?

With all due respect brothers...iss thread ki sirf tasweerein dekhna achhi baat hai, magar please share wisdom, and advice...nahin tau yeh thread bilkul be wajah sa ban ke reh jaata hai.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This weekend saw me visit Pindi along with the Beast. Whilst meeting my Ustaadji, who is going to be rebuilding the vehicle, we got around to talking about tyres.

Now, I had already seen some Nitto tyres with a dealer, who were 295/75/16...which is a pretty good height, and pretty broad width. I had planned that I would buy these tyres, straight away, and store them until I was ready to build.

Lekin...whilst roaming around I laid my eyes on the tyres shown in the picture below. These are Super Swamper TSL tyres, whose size is 15/42-15LT. When I fed these figures into the Tyre Size Calculator on this thread...it turns out the tyre size is 385/110/15. Whoa!

Take a look for yourself. The first two pictures show the Swampers next to a regular 7.00x16LT tyre. The last picture shows the tyre next to Zulfiqar and Irfan, whilst they're cleaning it. Irfan (on the right), is 6 ft tall. So it gives you an idea of the enormity of these wheels!

Another thing that has happened, is that the wheels / tyres have crystallised a lot of ideas in my mind, which I was merely considering, earlier on. These beautiful wheels are going to be the basis around which the entire FJ rebuild is going to take place. I am of the view that the 1HD / 1HD-T or 1HZ engine, along with Land Cruiser series 100 axles / differentials, and a 5 speed manual gearbox MIGHT be a good (although costly) option to provide the necessary torque and power to propel the beast. I want the Punga to be both a removable hard top, and bikini top. I want a Prado dashboard. With air-conditioning. And heat. I want Recaro seats. A roll cage. A beautiful, plush rear seat. On the matter of the mechanicals, I would really, REALLY like some input / technical expertise from friends online who are more experienced than I when it comes to technical details.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 328561 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 328562 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 328563

As far as the tyres go WOW.............uuuffff.....ur lucky.

As far as the engine goes I am sure 1HD Turbo will be a good option.
    But seeing the size of the tyres I think that a 2UZ coupled to a Land cruiser 100 series trasmission will be better as the price that you quoted of a 1HD is probably similat to the price of a 2UZ.
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 328561 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 328562 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 328563
    Damn :O thats one hot set of tyres very nice choice and believe me now these tyre set will lead you to make a real monster

Thats more of less something they will look like on her

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -328619The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -328621

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -328622

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -328623

sir, can you please PM me the trader address and purchase price if you dont mind

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    As far as the tyres go WOW.............uuuffff.....ur lucky.

As far as the engine goes I am sure 1HD Turbo will be a good option.
    But seeing the size of the tyres I think that a 2UZ coupled to a Land cruiser 100 series trasmission will be better as the price that you quoted of a 1HD is probably similat to the price of a 2UZ.

Thanks for the reply. I've also found a 1FZ-FE engine (6 cyl, 4500cc, EFI, producing 212 bhp) in Pindi. This is the same engine I already have in my TLC FZJ79, and it is a monster engine. I wonder how it measures up against a 1UZ/2UZ (which are also, exceptional engines). I should have a quote on the price tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There is no match of 1HDT with any other motor - UZs / FZs (gassoline engines) are meant for speed while HDz (diesels) for torque as well as speed which will probably more required with these set of tyres

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@machine...brother, I'm still undecided, when it comes to a choice between petrol engines and diesel engines. Let's see, kiya banta hai. Perhaps it's because I'm currently using petrol engines, and am comfortable with their performance, refinement, noise, power, torque, and maintenance. Diesel engines se mein totally na-waaqif hoon.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mabrook Fouad for these Monster Tyres
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@aamir567: Thank you, Guru Ji!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IMHO 1FZ or 2UZ would be ideal for your intended setup, they are both superior to 1HDT or 1HZ both in terms of torque n power.

However 1HDT-FE can be a good choice as well, however it is quite pricy, last I heard prices were north of 550,000 Rs.

Would not recommend a 1UZ in your circumstances, thats almost a racing engine, would lack lower end torque for your ginormous tyres!

Petrol vs Diesel war can go on forever, I would be voting for petrol with the kind of use it will be put to with these tyres.

From reading around and hearsay, 1FZ would be better if you intend to go for manual tranny, while for autobox both 1FZ or 2UZ would do.

Finally getting the right gear ratios would be the most important aspect (considering the size of tyres) regardless of which ever engine you opt for!

Good Luck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh God! Congrats on buying the tires, but I think you need to do some more research on what it would take to effectively install that size on an FJ40 and also do some soul searching as to what your objectives from the vehicle are.....

For starters, you will not be able to effectively run those on 100 series or any other stock TLC diffs. The gear ratios will never really match up and you will need bigger ratio ring and pinion from a Toyota Dyna or something and you'd be better off keeping the stock 40 series diffs and just changing ring pinion....

You will also need to do a spring over axle conversion like Tareen's build to effectively clear that height.....

As far as engine/gear goes, once you have the right diff ratios I would just recommend a B series (2B, 3B, 13BT etc ) or an H series (2H or 12H-T) with the stock 4 or 5 speed gearbox....

I don't see the point of unnecessarily blowing away too much money here on 1HDT or 2UZ because with those tires and above two conversions (short ratio diffs and SOA) you are going for a very specialized offorad rig. With this setup you will in all likelihood never get close to exploiting the full incremental potential of those engines out here. No point in unnecessarily bumping both project cost and risk, a solid 2H would be my ideal choice for this...

Best of Luck!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    IMHO 1FZ or 2UZ would be ideal for your intended setup, they are both superior to 1HDT or 1HZ both in terms of torque n power.

However 1HDT-FE can be a good choice as well, however it is quite pricy, last I heard prices were north of 550,000 Rs.

Would not recommend a 1UZ in your circumstances, thats almost a racing engine, would lack lower end torque for your ginormous tyres!

Petrol vs Diesel war can go on forever, I would be voting for petrol with the kind of use it will be put to with these tyres.

From reading around and hearsay, 1FZ would be better if you intend to go for manual tranny, while for autobox both 1FZ or 2UZ would do.

Finally getting the right gear ratios would be the most important aspect (considering the size of tyres) regardless of which ever engine you opt for!

Good Luck!
    Thanks for the good wishes! They're very much welcomed.

On the subject of the petrol engines, I have a little input of my own (primarily since I'm using them). The 1FZ-FE engine is a very torquey, high-revving, low-maintenance, virtually indestructible engine with enormous low range power. The 212 brake horsepower it puts out, coupled with an electronic diff lock, makes the FZJ79 (running Dunlop 275/70/17 tyres through a stock 5 fwd transmission) unstoppable in pretty much every type of terrain you can encounter. A similar engine-transmission setup using 385/110/15 tyres? I really don't know...but it seems like a mouth-watering setup to me.

Thanks for the opinion and the advice, once again, NN!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow – Those monster tires are looking good. But on the warning side like Suhaib mentioned anything beyond 285 or maximum 305 (or close to 33”) you would run into a lot of clearance issues, road noise etc etc. But then again, FJ is sickness and imaginations run wild. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comThe Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PBased on my personnel experience (or lack thereof) 2F is like estranged gf, never happy. The problem compounds with lack of poor quality 2F carb and other replacement parts in Pakistan. If I was going to do this project all over again, the first thing I would do is replace it with better motor like 3B or 13BT with 5 speed manual (again consistent with Suhaib’s recommendations). <o:p></o:p>
    regards,
    God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 73 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

User Tag List