0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Jazak Allah, Suhaib.

I'll be replying to your suggestions, and advice, and observations, in a while...but first an update. Or updates.

Contrary to popular belief, that it's all done and ready, there's still a fair bit of work to be done on the Monster.

Most of today was spent with Nikku Ustad (initially, offering fateha, since his mother recently passed away) and Jamil Ustad. The topics that came up for discussion were:-

1. Adjustment of the rear wheels in the centre of the wheel arches.

2. Overall balancing of the body. We have some droops and dips on some corners, at present.

3. The placement of the rear spare wheel, spare can, hi-lift jack, tool box. The rear tub is going to look absolutely magnificent, Insha Allah.

4. Trimming of the rear mud-flap. I'm going to stick with the same design, but modify it slightly. If it doesn't work well, we can always trim it away completely. Here, it's worthy to note that the flap is more for form, than it is for function. In a slight departure from the Phantom's design ethic...this mud-flap is (for the most part) an aesthetic touch.

5. The upright exhaust stack also came up for discussion with Lahori Ustad (the Muffler Maestro). We've decided on something, that will remain a surprise for now. However, I have the feeling that it is going to be incredibly beautiful, and even more incredibly practical. Of course, this exhaust is going to roar like a wounded mountain lion, too. Keep your eyes glued to this spot for some updates regarding the chimney stack!

6. The Sparco seats were positioned, and will Insha Allah, look absolutely smashing at the end of the day.

7. Other minor aesthetic issues also came up for discussion, which are far too numerous to mention.

8. Master Shayaan Hafeez (my Prince of Wales) has decreed that the Phantom is to be painted blue and white. Electric Blue and Polar White. These colours are pretty similar to one of the FJ's original colour combinations, whilst retaining a slight distinctiveness of its own. So...the colour has been decided. Blue and White, it is. I'm planning to use a Sikkens paint for this. Something metallic, which will be overlaid by a couple of coats of hardener / clear overbase for colour depth and protection.

9. The interior will be done up in matching blue and white leather and suede. With matching blue carpets / matting. I'm seriously inclined towards blue and white gauges, too...to keep with the Phantom's overall theme. Overall, the desired result is something beautiful, striking, and utterly unique...which nonetheless SCREAMS: "I'm an FJ to the core...come play with me".

Soon...Allah be willing.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Awesome, Sir MASHALLAH.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mabrook Sir Jee .. the Home comming is Great and the Phantom is looking Rocking as expected ....

One request/suggestion is that Park a regular size SUV/Car next to it and then take some pics ... Only then everyone can realize the SIZE & MIGHT of the Phantom which i have experienced in Person
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by N1J1M View Post
    Awesome, Sir MASHALLAH.
    Thanks for the kind words, Najam! Jazak Allah, brother.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    Mabrook Sir Jee .. the Home comming is Great and the Phantom is looking Rocking as expected ....
    Thank you, Yasir! Words of encouragement from friends and brothers have been the source of inspiration to keep chipping away at this Herculean task!

One request/suggestion is that Park a regular size SUV/Car next to it and then take some pics ... Only then everyone can realize the SIZE & MIGHT of the Phantom which i have experienced in Person
    Your wish is my command! Get ready to see a series of snaps with the Phantom parked next to a Cowrolla!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -429494The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -429495The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -429496The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -429498The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -429499The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -429500

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now...I REALLY want to test drive this beast, by driving it over another car.

Clearly, I need psychiatric help

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now this is what i am Talking about .. Man O Man it can really take that CowRolla and make a Rolla out of it ...

You need to test drive it a ALOT and take it to its limit before you put some shiny paint on it .... Hell if i was the owner i would sleep in it ... I guess i am also need psychiatric help ......
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

MashAllah! Looks indeed "larger then life!" Fouad bhai I think you`ll have to put some dampers on yer adrenaline pumps when yer driving it.....its very easy to go up an over a "PROBLEM" drive safe!
    OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Detailer)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Maashallah, the Phantom looks phantastic Bohat Khoob Fouad Bhai! And bohat mubarik, this has been a labour of true love, hats off to you for managing this from Kharian, speaks of your passion for cars!
    Thanks for the kind words, Suhaib. Whilst the congratulations certainly make me feel wonderful, I think there's still a bit of a long hop to go before the project reaches fruition. And the sole reason that it's been able to reach this stage via "remote control" from Kharian, is the fact that I have had a great team (Jamil, Nikku, and Imran Ustads), who have been able to transform my vision into reality, with an absence of oversight and nit-picking. Kudos to them.
    Just in case you do want to move the rear tire back a bit, you can try and see if the 60 series leafs can be replaced with longer 45 series pickup leafs which would move the tire back as few inches and also gives a bit more travel.....
    To be honest, I'm running at the short end of my fuse with regards to spending more money on such things, and experimenting any longer. We're going to use the simple solution to address this problem: move the leaf spring mounts back by a couple of inches, lengthen the shaft accordingly, and let the wheels sit flush in the centre of the arches. Your suggestion sounds practical, and I would certainly have considered it, at the planning stages. Now, when I have a set of 60 series springs already, I'm not going to go through the grief of procuring a 45 series set, haggling over the price, and fitting them only to discover the spring mounts have to be shifted regardless.
    The rear mud flap is no good because it reduces the amount of mud the tires will flap back onto the dala
    The flaps are part of the overall design philosophy from the very start. I'd still like to give them a chance to see how they evebtually look, if only for the aesthetic value. We're incorporating some changes in them...so let's see how they turn out. If they fail to look good, we'll chop them off altogether, later.
    And BTW you probably should drive them tires around on low pressure for sometime to let them know that they are out of storage and have finally arrived home What is the approximate tire pressure in the pics?
    A very good suggestion indeed. Will get on it, straight away. Currently, I think they're running 25 psi each, although I'm not certain.

Thanks for the appreciation and advice, brother!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by khanrocks View Post
    You need to test drive it a A LOT and take it to its limit before you put some shiny paint on it .... Hell if i was the owner i would sleep in it ... I guess i am also need psychiatric help ......
    After covering the beast with a coat of primer, I intend to drive it into the ground, while the last two remaining modifications take place. First, is turbocharging and inter-cooling the 1HZ engine. The second, is the fitting of the ARB air-locker diff locks I've been mooting. This should conveniently take a couple of months (the monsoon season and Ramadan), following which the Phantom should be painted and upholstered in its blue and white livery, Insha Allah.

Aur yeh aap ne kaise soch liya ke mein iss mein apna bedroom NAHIN banaoonga?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vague_one View Post
    MashAllah! Looks indeed "larger then life!" Fouad bhai I think you`ll have to put some dampers on yer adrenaline pumps when yer driving it.....its very easy to go up an over a "PROBLEM" drive safe!
    As a matter of fact, Usman, the ride height is likely to go up by a couple of inches, when the kamaanis are balanced and evened out. Right now, the right side of the vehicle is tilted somewhat lower than the left. The rear of the truck is a little lower than the front. So yeah...the tendency to "roll over" problems is only likely to go up!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And one last thing I've been very seriously considering the past few days...

My FZJ79 comes with an absolutely beautiful 224 bhp 1FZ-FE engine. Is there any reason why the 1FZ should NOT go into the Phantom, and the 1HZ engine (130 bhp) of the Phantom sould NOT be fitted into the FZJ79? Leave everything else in place...the gears, the axles, exhaust etc...and just swap the engines...to give the MORE extreme beast the more extreme engine, and give the slightly LESS extreme beast, a somewhat more sedate engine. Conceptually / theoretically...this should be easy, given the fact that both are inline, six-cylinder power-plants of similar engine capacity (1FZ: 4.5L, 1HZ: 4.2L).

Jab donon engines apne hi hain...to iss tarah ke swap mein kabahat nahin, hai na?

Whether or not I actually take the plunge, is another matter, altogether. It does sound mouth-watering, nonetheless!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    And one last thing I've been very seriously considering the past few days...

My FZJ79 comes with an absolutely beautiful 224 bhp 1FZ-FE engine. Is there any reason why the 1FZ should NOT go into the Phantom, and the 1HZ engine (130 bhp) of the Phantom sould NOT be fitted into the FZJ79? Leave everything else in place...the gears, the axles, exhaust etc...and just swap the engines...to give the MORE extreme beast the more extreme engine, and give the slightly LESS extreme beast, a somewhat more sedate engine. Conceptually / theoretically...this should be easy, given the fact that both are inline, six-cylinder power-plants of similar engine capacity (1FZ: 4.5L, 1HZ: 4.2L).

Jab donon engines apne hi hain...to iss tarah ke swap mein kabahat nahin, hai na?

Whether or not I actually take the plunge, is another matter, altogether. It does sound mouth-watering, nonetheless!
    AoA
    Sir I have been relatively following this thread every day, though "Yeh gilla aap sey rahay ga key tasweerain thoree kum hain" considering the kind of project this is.

Fouad Bhai I could not stop myself from logging in and intevening here, as this idea of yours is a big no no.
    FZJ79 that you have is a beautiful vehicle. The proposed engine swap will ruin it completly. Forget about the Phantom for a moment.
    Just let the FZJ79 as it is. I would sugest that you keep the 1HZ in the phantom and let it rip. After some time you can go to any other engine you want.
    But do not do this to the FZJ79
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    AoA
    Sir I have been relatively following this thread every day, though "Yeh gilla aap sey rahay ga key tasweerain thoree kum hain" considering the kind of project this is.
    Thank you for the devotion and interest and appreciation. It means a great deal to me, and makes the rebuild all the more worthwhile.

Fouad Bhai I could not stop myself from logging in and intevening here, as this idea of yours is a big no no.
    FZJ79 that you have is a beautiful vehicle. The proposed engine swap will ruin it completly. Forget about the Phantom for a moment.
    Just let the FZJ79 as it is. I would sugest that you keep the 1HZ in the phantom and let it rip. After some time you can go to any other engine you want.
    But do not do this to the FZJ79
    To be completely honest, this was more a case of loud thinking on my part. Presently, I'm more than happy with the engine in the Phantom, since it's an absolutely ghuncha piece that I managed to get. It's a very capable engine, indeed...and is perfectly suited to the Phantom's requirements. It's dependable, reliable, and indestructible.

However, I'm reminded of the wise words of another friend, NN, who made a very strong case for installing an absolutely outlandish engine (1FZ / 1UZ / 2UZ / 3UZ) in the vehicle, rather than a 1HZ. His logic was: the Phantom isn't meant to be "reliable/dependable/trustworthy". Everything about it is extreme, and so should the engine be.

VERY wise words, indeed.

Now, to swap the 1HZ at some point in time means that I'd have to either install it in some other vehicle, or sell it. I would much prefer the former, rather than the latter...because this engine is just so damned good, and so damned new. Were I to sell it to a kabaariya, I'd end up losing obscene amounts of money, and deprive myself of a cracking engine, in the process, too. So...it would be reasonable to assume that an engine swap "within my own stable" would be the more sensible thing to do.

Let's talk a little about the FZJ79. This is one of my most-favoured rides (funny how all of them are my favourites, right?). This is a very capable off-roader, with a mean turn of speed. Here, I'd like to mention that the 1HZ is the STANDARD diesel engine for the HZJ79 (the oil-burning version of the FZJ79). And in the extreme conditions of Australia and New Zealand, is actually the PREFERRED choice of engine, too. So, an engine swap wouldn't REALLY be 'ruining' the vehicle, at all...it would simply be a case of apples and oranges.

To be entirely honest, brother...this thought going through my mind, isn't a random flight-of-fantasy, at all. I may have mentioned elsewhere, that I also have a big-block V8 petrol engine (a Buick 455, 7400cc) which would be a perfect "showcase" power-plant for a vehicle as extreme as the Phantom. But...if I install it in the Phantom, WHERE would the beautiful 1HZ go? What would I do with it? Sell it to some kabaariya, kauriyon ke bhao? Nope. I'd much rather keep it inside the Phantom, or the FZJ79...and transplant the 1FZ, instead.

I hope this makes some sort of sense. In any case...for the immediate future, I have no plans of an engine swap for the Phantom, anyways. So this might only be an exercise in intellectual discussion, at best.

Thanks very much for your "food for thought"!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I"m most impressed with this thread mainly because of your passion for your phantom. Indeed owning a new and expensive car is nothing compared to building/refurbishing one with such passion and interest as you are doing. And since you are updating us on all the new stuff this is yet again a treet for guys like myself. I'm also interested to know the colour scheme of phantom, but ofcourse it's your ride. So you may keep it a secret. But I guess black colour shall look good on it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by UAHMAD View Post
    I"m most impressed with this thread mainly because of your passion for your phantom. Indeed owning a new and expensive car is nothing compared to building/refurbishing one with such passion and interest as you are doing. And since you are updating us on all the new stuff this is yet again a treet for guys like myself. I'm also interested to know the colour scheme of phantom, but ofcourse it's your ride. So you may keep it a secret. But I guess black colour shall look good on it.
    Thank you for the very kind words of appreciation/encouragement. As a matter of fact, the chosen colour isn't a secret at all. My son has already made the choice for me. The Phantom is going to be cobalt blue (a very tez, shiny, vibrant blue) and white. The interior is going to be white and blue, as well (although the plans for now, are to just prepare the base of the body, coat everything with a layer of Sikkens Red Zinc Oxide Rust Proofing, and wait until after the Monsoon). The actual paint job will commence in September / October Insha Allah, while the weather is still warm, but no longer humid.

Once again, thanks for the interest.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by UAHMAD View Post
    Thank you for the very kind words of appreciation/encouragement. As a matter of fact, the chosen colour isn't a secret at all. My son has already made the choice for me. The Phantom is going to be cobalt blue (a very tez, shiny, vibrant blue) and white. The interior is going to be white and blue, as well (although the plans for now, are to just prepare the base of the body, coat everything with a layer of Sikkens Red Zinc Oxide Rust Proofing, and wait until after the Monsoon). The actual paint job will commence in September / October Insha Allah, while the weather is still warm, but no longer humid.

Once again, thanks for the interest.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The "Re-Modified" Modified Mud Flaps!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431903The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431905The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431907The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431908The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431910The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431911

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom's Sparco Seats

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431919The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -431920

+ Reply to Thread
Page 50 of 73 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast

User Tag List