0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    yes boy getting muddy with buddy (Phantom) pleasure will be of TUs ... lets do it as soon as Phantom is up and weather cool down a bit...
    I think that's an incredibly hot idea. Mog-Monsters are probably the Phantom's nearest "cousins", anyway!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

lets do it sir... life is short... lets get muddy

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    I think that's an incredibly hot idea. Mog-Monsters are probably the Phantom's nearest "cousins", anyway!
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by DeeDee View Post
    lets do it sir... life is short... lets get muddy
    Boss, I was just in contact with my people who are supervising the Phantom's build. Unn key mutaabiq, there's very little in the way of actual work to be done on the vehicle now, as far as the denting is concerned. Things like the air-conditioning, the dashboard layout, and the exhaust are what's left. The exhaust-wallah (Lahori Ustad) has said that the vehicle's upright-stack exhaust should take 3 days or so. In the next couple of days, hopefully, the remainder of the work should be completed. So, realistically speaking, we should have a fully road-worthy Phantom in a maximum of 7-10 days. Any time, thereafter...let's visit some mud-spots.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

fouad bhai anxiously waiting to see its performance
    //.....Don't bully Korean cars.......//

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thats great sir... i remember DeeMogs day out "first offroad"... fully charged up...

we have 9 muddy miles and RRMC (riawind road mud circuit)... waiting for moon soon to hit hard to get muddy... till than you have time with your pending chores...

Team Unimog is excited
    Boss, I was just in contact with my people who are supervising the Phantom's build. Unn key mutaabiq, there's very little in the way of actual work to be done on the vehicle now, as far as the denting is concerned. Things like the air-conditioning, the dashboard layout, and the exhaust are what's left. The exhaust-wallah (Lahori Ustad) has said that the vehicle's upright-stack exhaust should take 3 days or so. In the next couple of days, hopefully, the remainder of the work should be completed. So, realistically speaking, we should have a fully road-worthy Phantom in a maximum of 7-10 days. Any time, thereafter...let's visit some mud-spots.
    Still Play with Mogs... DeeMog 421.129 1986... http://www.youtube.com/user/DeeMog421
    http://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4-clubs-off-roaders-suv/87109-team-unimog-punga-project

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sara kuj theek aay! Par idea mera see, mai phantom wich bena aay jadon aay hungama hona aay! Wish you all the best on the build Fouad Bhai! Lahore is ready for "THE PHANTOM!"
    OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Detailer)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by azkhan View Post
    fouad bhai anxiously waiting to see its performance
    Allah khair karega, brother. Soon, Insha Allah.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One last addition to what's been going on, thus far...

One of the ideas that had been percolating inside my mind for quite a while, was the name itself. Usman (vague_one) had given an idea that the tailgate of the Phantom should be a custom-built one, with the word "P H A N T O M" embossed upon it. For certain reasons of keeping it original (and maintaining the structural strength of the tailgate), this idea whilst appealing on the aesthetic plane, didn't appeal to me at the functional level.

Where it DOES appeal to me though, is on the spare wheel mount. Allah be willing, the spare tire mount in the tub of the beast is getting a hand-crafted, customised, embossed plate with the marque. The result, SHOULD be interesting! Let's see how it turns out.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fouad bhai, hows this for a tail gate? I mean you can swap it with the current one whenever you go into "BUSINESS" mode, easy access to tyre, and most of all the "Phantom" plate will be in view for all to see!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vague_one View Post
    Fouad bhai, hows this for a tail gate? I mean you can swap it with the current one whenever you go into "BUSINESS" mode, easy access to tyre, and most of all the "Phantom" plate will be in view for all to see!!
    It's a fantastic-looking idea, Usman. However, I think it may not be quite applicable to the Phantom. First off, the tailgate on this vehicle in the picture is quite broad - almost the entire width of the rear - while the FJ has a MUCH narrower tailgate. Secondly, the tyre that's been fitted here is considerably smaller than the 42 inch Swampers on the Phantom. As it is, the tyre cover is taking up almost ALL the space in the rear of the Phantom's tub. I don't think a solution like this would be practicable - or even possible, for that matter - on the Phantom.

The rear tub of the beast isn't REALLY going to be used for carrying any serious luggage...and I'll be more than happy, if it's able to accommodate just the spare, the exhaust, the tool box, a couple of spare fuel cans, the hi-lift jack, and some assorted bric-a-brac (possibly, a compressor and a fridge/freezer). What with the tub being somewhat smaller than would be normally associated with a vehicle of this size...that's going to be challenging enough unto itself!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Twin terror possibility ??

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now coming to the problem of chassis and body flexing and movement, heres the solution I can think of, flexible steel mesh pipes for exhausts!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Twin terror possibility ??
    I had actually considered a twin pipe exhaust, Usman. However, I ditched the idea, because it makes the back of the truck far too "busy". What we're doing now, is that we'll have the upright exhaust positioned on the right rear of the truck, with the snorkel fitted to the front left of the cabin. This asymmetry should make it interesting to see, Insha Allah.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now coming to the problem of chassis and body flexing and movement, heres the solution I can think of, flexible steel mesh pipes for exhausts!
    Bilkul. These are very much going to be a part of the underbelly connections of the exhaust.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Much Awaited Update!

I was super-pleased to see the progress on this weekend! We've fabricated the basic design of the silencer, fitted the snorkel, made the basic design of the spare wheel cover, fitted the pipe "half-doors", outboarded the rear wheels, and have lengthened the propeller shaft, too!

I'm ESPECIALLY happy with the exhaust. There's just one word to describe it: menacing.

The sound is a wonderful, deep-bass growl at high revs, and a low rumble at tickover. Pictures will tell the tale!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -440430

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another side view. The exhaust wallah Ustad has done a terrific job, by propping the muffler in the tub rather than under the belly of the Phantom. Notice the beautiful clean lines underneath...NO reduction in ride height!

the phantom of city sadar road -440436

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The exhaust body / "bass-maker"!

the phantom of city sadar road -440438

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The "cannon-mouth"!

the phantom of city sadar road -440448

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The left side. Shot of the tyre cover / snorkel.

the phantom of city sadar road -440451

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The snorkel.

the phantom of city sadar road -440453

+ Reply to Thread
Page 53 of 73 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

User Tag List