0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahem.......ahem.......kuch videos ka wada kiya gaya tha yahan....
    OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Detailer)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by F430 View Post
    MashAllah Sir! The Monster grows meaner and meaner day by day!

One more thing: "Brigadier sahab jaan deyo, Hun saadi waari aan deyo!"

Finish and paint the Phantom ASAP so that we lay our hands on it
    Meinoon twaade nisbat ziyada jaldi aey. The paint phase isn't too far away, Fahad. Hopefully, we should be looking at doing things immediately after Ramadan / Monsoon.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by vague_one View Post
    MashAllah! Monster looks gooooood! Esp the Phantom etched on back....business look! Allah aap ko himmat day jee to make it to the stage where you are satisfied an throw down the rag an say " Shukar aay enday kam wi mukkay nay!"
    Jazak Allah. Thank you for the good wishes, as always. Actually Usman, the work on the Phantom is pretty much complete...with just some minor things left. Those will continue up until the time we get the beast primed for paint. Allah khair karega.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahem.......ahem.......kuch videos ka wada kiya gaya tha yahan....
    Thora weekend tak intezaar karna parega, little brother.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Thora weekend tak intezaar karna parega, little brother.
    An the crowd sits back on their chairs......Allah khair karay ! Will be waiting....I wana hear that stack blow its steam!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

An the crowd sits back on their chairs......Allah khair karay ! Will be waiting....I wana hear that stack blow its steam!!
    Then you won't be disappointed, Usman. The sound of the monster is an absolutely terrifying, low, rumbling roar. To the extent that gunning the engine causes the motion-sensor alarms of parked cars to go off, as it passes by them. Lahori Ustad (the Muffler Maestro) has done an absolutely magnificent job of translating concept into reality.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    316 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just add a little info, a DC team member, @Shazo (Pw ID) was in Pindi last early this week with his friends.....the lot was wandering around near Gawalmandi an one of em got all excited started shoutin,"OOO AAA KEE PAYA ANDA AAAY ??" Needless to say they stopped, got outa the car to watch it drive past, an quote Shazo "PAA JEE MERI TOUN WAS AT A VERY STEEP ANGLE JUST TO SEE IF IT WAS YOU DRIVING OR NOT"........remarks received were "bheeeeens!!!!" "Yar kiya cheez thi yaar".....an our very own Shazo smugly informed them....yeh bhai jee apna hi project hai !! Shoda jaya na hoay tay!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just add a little info, a DC team member, @Shazo (Pw ID) was in Pindi last early this week with his friends.....the lot was wandering around near Gawalmandi an one of em got all excited started shoutin,"OOO AAA KEE PAYA ANDA AAAY ??" Needless to say they stopped, got outa the car to watch it drive past, an quote Shazo "PAA JEE MERI TOUN WAS AT A VERY STEEP ANGLE JUST TO SEE IF IT WAS YOU DRIVING OR NOT"........remarks received were "bheeeeens!!!!" "Yar kiya cheez thi yaar".....an our very own Shazo smugly informed them....yeh bhai jee apna hi project hai !! Shoda jaya na hoay tay!
    LOL!

This vehicle is prone to getting all sorts of remarks. The other day, I was standing at a traffic light, and a motorcycle with three youngsters comes to a stop next to me...and one of them says "Bhai...agar mein aapke saamney se guzar jaoon to humein kuchal tau nahin denge na?"

I couldn't help but laugh.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hmmm.

@ The Mods: Brothers, if this upgrade to PakWheels website was going to be THIS problematic (pictures not showing, attachments not posting, and the overall complexity becoming a right-royal PITA), you should have NOT tampered around with it, in the first place. And if you HAVE, then you should have the cure to these niggling problems. With all due respect, the PakWheels community is what fuels PakWheels into BEING the vibrant web presence that it is. As a contributing member of this very community, personally, I'm exceedingly pissed off at the downward slide "for the apparent betterment" of the site. Is anyone listening out there?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

fouah bhai .......pix pix pix pix

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And please...before someone jumps up on the pulpit and says "oh, well you should know that it takes an embed html to the hyperlink dotcom forward slash binary code backslash jpeg command"... not ALL of us happen to be wizards with a keyboard.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by zhbjadoon View Post
    fouah bhai .......pix pix pix pix
    Some unseen ones...just for you, Zohaib.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -445301The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -445302The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -445303

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA,
    Sir, agar abhi phantom ka shade final nhi hoa to may be i can contribute in making a customized shade for it in 2k, Also High heat resistant paint for muffler. i m watching the thread silently from the beginning know i felt its my time to take part as it reached the phase where i can contribute.
    Regards
    Yasir Shamim

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Big fan of the ride collection and now your weapons collection is turning out to be better then ever.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom007 View Post
    AOA,
    Sir, agar abhi phantom ka shade final nhi hoa to may be i can contribute in making a customized shade for it in 2k, Also High heat resistant paint for muffler. i m watching the thread silently from the beginning know i felt its my time to take part as it reached the phase where i can contribute.
    Regards
    Yasir Shamim
    How very gracious of you, Yasir! Thank you very much indeed for the kind words and the very generous offer. I would indeed LOVE to discuss the very important aspect of colour shade with you, since I haven't decided on anything firm, just yet. I DO have a couple of combinations in mind, though. Perhaps your valuable suggestion / contribution might be the most important aspect of this entire project!

About the muffler, it indeed needs some heat resistant paint, since it's very much a FUNCTIONAL part of the exhaust, and does grow very hot indeed (especially the way I drive it!). So yes...I would very much like for us to meet and discuss these issues, whenever it's convenient for you. I'll be sending you a PM with my contact number, etc. Please send me yours, too, so I can save it, and call you sometime.

Regards.

Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Big fan of the ride collection and now your weapons collection is turning out to be better then ever.
    Thank you for the kind words. I don't have a very extensive collection of firearms, nor is it a very expensive one, or a very flashy one either. However, they're all individual pieces that I've been acquiring (and maintaining) for a very very long time indeed. Their personal stories / histories, and how they came to me, is what makes them special for me

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -445301
    Me loves..
    Mercedes Benz - W126 - 1uzfe.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tilsim View Post
    Me loves..
    I'm glad you like it, Usman. As a matter of fact, after this picture was taken, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the articulation of the Phantom, because even with an obstacle only a foot or so high, the wheel was close to touching the mudguards. Since then, the body has received a half inch lift, and the suspension has gotten a two inch lift...for a total of 2.5 inches. In practical, non-technical terms, this constitutes a fair amount of gain in height. Which, of course, enhances the vehicle's ability to negotiate obstacles. Of course, we always have the option of removing the wide-flare mudguards altogether for those real hardcore moments

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Diff Locks

This is one of those aspects I've considered to be missing from the Phantom's array of modifications. I've considered quite a few options, which have ranged from installing Air Lockers, to changing the tubes, to other more radical thoughts. Basically, the inability to install diff locks arises from the 7:37 guchha which has been installed. Now, this guchha is what gives the Phantom such enormous low-gear torque and take-off despite such oversized wheels. However, it also inhibits our ability to install lockable differentials because of the incompatibility of ALL Toyota axles (Series 60, 70, and 80). The nearest compatible guchha which CAN be fitted in these axles is the 9:37 one.

Now, according to calculations, the 7:37 guchha is THE best for the tires...and the 9:37 is LIKELY to be somewhat underpowered for them. However, the proof as they say, is in the pudding. Soooo...we're going to give the 9:37 guchha at least one shot to prove its mettle with the wheels. IF (and ONLY if) it works out OK, the current tubes of the Phantom (Series 60 tubes) are going to make way for diff lockable tubes (either 60, 70, or 80 Series ones)...and we SHOULD have a monster that locks diffs, when the going gets tough.

Let's see how this test works out!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The exhaust on this machine. I just don't have words to express how much mean it is to my eyes. I wonder what it sounds like.
    Gari ki deals only on PakWheels!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 56 of 73 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast

User Tag List