0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Diff Locks

This is one of those aspects I've considered to be missing from the Phantom's array of modifications. I've considered quite a few options, which have ranged from installing Air Lockers, to changing the tubes, to other more radical thoughts. Basically, the inability to install diff locks arises from the 7:37 guchha which has been installed. Now, this guchha is what gives the Phantom such enormous low-gear torque and take-off despite such oversized wheels. However, it also inhibits our ability to install lockable differentials because of the incompatibility of ALL Toyota axles (Series 60, 70, and 80). The nearest compatible guchha which CAN be fitted in these axles is the 9:37 one.

Now, according to calculations, the 7:37 guchha is THE best for the tires...and the 9:37 is LIKELY to be somewhat underpowered for them. However, the proof as they say, is in the pudding. Soooo...we're going to give the 9:37 guchha at least one shot to prove its mettle with the wheels. IF (and ONLY if) it works out OK, the current tubes of the Phantom (Series 60 tubes) are going to make way for diff lockable tubes (either 60, 70, or 80 Series ones)...and we SHOULD have a monster that locks diffs, when the going gets tough.

Let's see how this test works out!

I would suggest is you should do a trial run some where which is challenging for the phantom and decide if it really needs diff locks. As per me with such huge tires power should be the main problem taking it up climbs not traction, further more you dont plan to do serious rock crawling or do you
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'm glad you like it, Usman. As a matter of fact, after this picture was taken, I wasn't entirely satisfied with the articulation of the Phantom, because even with an obstacle only a foot or so high, the wheel was close to touching the mudguards. Since then, the body has received a half inch lift, and the suspension has gotten a two inch lift...for a total of 2.5 inches. In practical, non-technical terms, this constitutes a fair amount of gain in height. Which, of course, enhances the vehicle's ability to negotiate obstacles. Of course, we always have the option of removing the wide-flare mudguards altogether for those real hardcore moments
    you read my mind and answered the unsaid queries sir
    Mercedes Benz - W126 - 1uzfe.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    I would suggest is you should do a trial run some where which is challenging for the phantom and decide if it really needs diff locks. As per me with such huge tires power should be the main problem taking it up climbs not traction, further more you dont plan to do serious rock crawling or do you
    There's an awful lot of mind-reading going on in this thread, because tomorrow (Insha Allah) that is exactly what I plan on doing . However, from a purely technical standpoint, the diff locks ensure the transmission of power to both wheels (or both axles, even), rather than just add traction. The Phantom should be fine without diff locks. WITH diff locks though, it'll be a far more formidable off-road vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by tilsim View Post
    you read my mind and answered the unsaid queries sir
    See above, mate! Mind-reading...
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by F430 View Post
    The exhaust on this machine. I just don't have words to express how much mean it is to my eyes. I wonder what it sounds like.
    I hope to give you something of a sneak preview tomorrow, Fahad. The snake head of the upright exhaust (and the body and cowling) is still being prepped for paint, but you'll get some idea of the sound of the beast, from some of the videos I should have tomorrow, Insha Allah.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Heard the roaring of this monster when Fouad came to see me few days back
    It is excellent

Its now time to decide/discuss paint job for the phantom
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@tilsim: Usman, I also need you to do me a huge favour, and tender some advice regarding an onboard entertainment system for the beast. Since this is your area of specialty, you'd be the right person for such advice. Basically, I want something that produces "good" sound rather than "lots" of it. The deck is going to have to fit somewhere in the dash-pocket (since I don't want it interfering with the FJ's original dashboard). The amplifier is going to have to be something slim, and unobtrusive - that fits under the Sparco seats (which are pretty close to the floorpan of the vehicle). A dash-mounted GPS screen is an absolute must-have. In addition to these requirements, the biggest problem I foresee is going to be speakers. The Phantom has NO space for sound boxes / acoustic hollows AT ALL. So getting a system to produce adequate amounts of bass and decibels is going to be challenging. Finally, there's the exhaust note...if the system doesn't belt out enough sound, the muffler is simply going to drown it out.

HELP!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
    Heard the roaring of this monster when Fouad came to see me few days back
    It is excellent

Its now time to decide/discuss paint job for the phantom
    Well said Guru Ji. Ab woh waqt aa chuka hai.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no prb sir, we will develop all the combinations in your mind till the one that fully satisfies you. pleasure ill be all mine sir.
    Regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir, one question, what is the top and maximum speed of Phantom in top gear with this existing diff and Tyre setup? have you driven it to the max on highway or a straight road to test the max speed? How does it respond in top gear?

Regards,
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom007 View Post
    no prb sir, we will develop all the combinations in your mind till the one that fully satisfies you. pleasure ill be all mine sir.
    Regards
    Jazak Allah, Yasir Bhai! Hope to meet up with you soon.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Sir, one question, what is the top and maximum speed of Phantom in top gear with this existing diff and Tyre setup? have you driven it to the max on highway or a straight road to test the max speed? How does it respond in top gear?

Regards,
    I've given it a couple of runs on a straight road, brother. It currently has a top speed of 103 km/hr (as per iPhone GPS software). It could probably go more, but I saw no need to do so. Acceleration is also good, and the torque is, too. The diffs and the tyres combine to provide a huge amount of grunt.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some unseen ones...just for you, Zohaib.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -445301The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -445302The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -445303
    MUGAMBO khush hua thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Coincidentally, this video failed to capture the Phantom's first "battle scars". A snapped tie-rod.

At the bottom of this gravelly slope is a lovely little four-foot vertical drop into about a foot depth of running water. After lowering the beast into the nullah, and working it's way out, I heard a nasty "crack" and the steering wheel became as free as a bird. Recovery is in progress.

Bhaiyo...bil aakhir, hamaara bacha jawaan ho gaya hai.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Waisey...aapas ki baat hai...only an off-road gear-head could be proud of his ride "coming of age" because of damage he's caused to it!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@tilsim: Usman, I also need you to do me a huge favour, and tender some advice regarding an onboard entertainment system for the beast. Since this is your area of specialty, you'd be the right person for such advice. Basically, I want something that produces "good" sound rather than "lots" of it. The deck is going to have to fit somewhere in the dash-pocket (since I don't want it interfering with the FJ's original dashboard). The amplifier is going to have to be something slim, and unobtrusive - that fits under the Sparco seats (which are pretty close to the floorpan of the vehicle). A dash-mounted GPS screen is an absolute must-have. In addition to these requirements, the biggest problem I foresee is going to be speakers. The Phantom has NO space for sound boxes / acoustic hollows AT ALL. So getting a system to produce adequate amounts of bass and decibels is going to be challenging. Finally, there's the exhaust note...if the system doesn't belt out enough sound, the muffler is simply going to drown it out.

HELP!
    consider it done boss.. will talk to you over phone to discuss things

Waisey...aapas ki baat hai...only an off-road gear-head could be proud of his ride "coming of age" because of damage he's caused to it!
    true.. its like an army man showing his battle scars..
    Mercedes Benz - W126 - 1uzfe.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well its quite a start indeed! Tearing off a freshie 60 series tie rod end at the first go isn't something that easy..... although to be fair I think you were running it without steering dampers, but still needs to be looked into as what went wrong. Its probably more SOA related than tire size induced....Anyways, I think this does underscore the scale of the Phantom and the magnitude of the surprises one can expect running those tires! Congratulations, Fuaad Bhai you are now officially running the big league of rigs we read about in magazines and forums!!! You have to remember that real Project rigs are never quite "done", you wheel them, find out what works and what breaks, wheel them some more and so the education continues.... Never a dull moment! All the Best!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Well its quite a start indeed! Tearing off a freshie 60 series tie rod end at the first go isn't something that easy..... although to be fair I think you were running it without steering dampers, but still needs to be looked into as what went wrong. Its probably more SOA related than tire size induced....Anyways, I think this does underscore the scale of the Phantom and the magnitude of the surprises one can expect running those tires! Congratulations, Fuaad Bhai you are now officially running the big league of rigs we read about in magazines and forums!!! You have to remember that real Project rigs are never quite "done", you wheel them, find out what works and what breaks, wheel them some more and so the education continues.... Never a dull moment! All the Best!
    What an absolutely lovely post to return to, after completing the recovery of the rig.

It was a blast! This time though, we had not ONLY the repaired tie-rod fitted...but a spare as well...just in case. And this time, we did it the RIGHT way, with a guide indicating ahead...and it turned out to be a piece of cake.

I realise that this is a vehicle which will be pushed to some pretty far-out extremes. And that it will break and warp and twist and snap, every now or then. I only pray that Allah Almighty keep us safe in terms of life and limb when doing mad-crazy-junooni things with our rides. Ameen!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Additionally, Suhaib...your comments and thoughts on the discussion between qwertypoiu and I, on Post #1123, please?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Additionally, Suhaib...your comments and thoughts on the discussion between qwertypoiu and I, on Post #1123, please?
    Diff Locks should come in once you are perfectly comfortable mechanically with the car and also have some experience of how it behaves in offroad situations. Its going to take you some time to tame the monster as it stands.... Adding diff locks does put added stress on the drivetrain and also creates potentially dangerous situations at times because the driver cannot initially judge exactly what is going on with each tire (whether its in the air or on the ground etc)..... So the diff locks can come later, enjoy the offroading in the meantime!

More Videos, more videos!!!!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 73 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast

User Tag List