0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I had no idea that the 1200th post of this thread would turn out to sound like a rant, but I've steadily been watching the gradual slide into mediocrity on the part of the Pakwheels forums. And I'm not going to simply stay quiet about it, either. Owners/Admins/Mods/Whatever...please put these things right on these forums, as soon as you find it convenient to do so. The editing tools on the forums are sloppy, unresponsive, and are falling below the level of "acceptable". The performance of the site - loading pages, pictures, and comments - is sub-par. On an average, there are a couple of days in the week where even logging on is impossible. PLEASE do NOT allow complacency to turn this site that we love so much into a branch of WAPDA: where we are supposed to "like it or lump it". Failing to put things right, WILL cause a "migration" from here to other sites. IF it hasn't started already, that is.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    I had no idea that the 1200th post of this thread would turn out to sound like a rant, but I've steadily been watching the gradual slide into mediocrity on the part of the Pakwheels forums. And I'm not going to simply stay quiet about it, either. Owners/Admins/Mods/Whatever...please put these things right on these forums, as soon as you find it convenient to do so. The editing tools on the forums are sloppy, unresponsive, and are falling below the level of "acceptable". The performance of the site - loading pages, pictures, and comments - is sub-par. On an average, there are a couple of days in the week where even logging on is impossible. PLEASE do NOT allow complacency to turn this site that we love so much into a branch of WAPDA: where we are supposed to "like it or lump it". Failing to put things right, WILL cause a "migration" from here to other sites. IF it hasn't started already, that is.
    I guess I'm not the only one who's been having trouble signing in.

That's a mighty fine looking rig, Fouad! Many congratulations on her first steps! That inline 6 diesel sounds sweet!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thanks, J_J. Most of the mechanical stuff has been sorted out, and the vehicle is getting a good going-over on road and off road. The matte "primed look" is going to persist for a while, though, until the rainy season is over. More updates soon. Cheers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903182747th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903180005th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903171609th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903161512th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903160744th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903160728th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903145359th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903145341th The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20120903145318th

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

youtube

Dear Fouad Bhai,

Cant resist dedicating this song to the Phantom
    1)Merdcedes W124-Daily driven, 2)Toyota FJ70 RKR-Reliable offroader, 3)Mitsubishi Pajero Shogun-Comfy workshorse, 4)M38A1-Fun ride, 5)Daewoo Racer- Econimically reliable

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks, Taimoor. That song is going into the playlists of ALL my rides!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some Plans For The Interior

The Phantom recently got its Sparco seats affixed. These are a good addition...and not just in an aesthetic manner of speaking. They provide great lumbar and lateral support. On the lighter side, for us middle-aged blokes they're also an invaluable "stay slim" tool...because you won't fit into 'em, if your butt is broad The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - biggrin

The dash plate (for all the switches etc) is in pretty decent shape. We're going to sand-blast it, knock it straight, and paint it, eventually. All the switches and lights will be replaced from NOS (new old stock).

The instrument / gauge cluster is going to get similar treatment, and all the meters should be working perfectly well by the time we're through (after being synchronised for 42 inch wheels). In addition, I'm planning on a voltmeter and a tacho to be "fabricated" locally. Something which looks like an OEM gauge, but in reality, is anything but. Fortunately (for the 1HZ engine), fitting a tacho is no real problem.

Also on the cards is air-conditioning and heating. The second hand A/C, the heater, the blower-box, all pipes, relays and controls are procured and ready. Before we go to the paint booth, all of the electricals should have been completed. The electrician will put everything in order, disassemble everything before paint, and then reassemble afterwards.

The entertainment system is going to be iPad based, for its music library, video playback/recording, GPS, its gorgeous screen, and wireless connectivity to the internet (yes...like the FZJ79, the Phantom is going to be a moving Wi-Fi hotspot too, as far as signal ranges permit). This will be connected to a head unit (I'm procrastinating between Pioneer and Alpine), routed through two amplifiers (Pioneer amps, one each for the front and rear), and connected to four "satellite" speakers (Pioneer component speakers, front and rear). Bluetooth hands-free will be inbuilt, via a couple of microphones located front and rear.

The anchor points for all of this paraphernalia will be on "roof" of the roll-cage. It provides the perfect stability and height for such delicate instruments (we don't want to drown them in river crossings, right?), and will be much easier to access and read. From rough measurements we've taken, the front console won't interfere with driver's visibility. The consoles to house iPad, head unit, amplifiers and speakers, will all be custom-crafted from synthetic wood, water-sealed, leather coated and affixed.

Some photos to show what we're starting with. "After" pictures, in due course of time!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038269The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038270The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038271The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038272The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038273The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038274

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

now after reading this, i am more happy with the project

keep it rolling..
    Mercedes Benz - W126 - 1uzfe.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Spare Gas Tanks

Another aspect I've been thinking over is the cruising range of the beast. It's current, custom-built tank takes 80 litres; which, at 6 km/l gives about 450-500 kilometres. This is good...but certainly not enough by any means...since you never really can have too MUCH cruising range...just like you can't be too rich, have too much Gigabytes on board your computer, or have too much of a sex drive The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - biggrin.

The solution to this is going to be quite simple, and effective.

Jerry Cans.

In the back of the truck, there's ample space for two jerry cans to be placed in tandem, in a secured bolt-on mounting bracket. These cans (each of which takes 19 litres) will be connected to one another by means of a metal pipe at their lowest portions. In turn, the front can will be connected directly to the fuel tank filler cap, by means of a pipe which will have a tap/joint. When you're low on fuel, and there's no gas station in range...simply step out, switch on the tap, and you have approximately 200 kilometres reserve fuel available. In addition, the pickup tub (which is only really big enough for utility items) would look rather nice-ish with two NATO-sized spare cans in the rear. Ornamental, as well as practical.

The other side of the tub (adjacent to the smokestack) is going to be the recipient of the toolbox. I was lucky to find a bolt-down military spec tool box with the rig, at the time of purchase. This box is going to take a 1st Aid kit and some essential tools (a puncture repair kit, a wrench set, wheel spanner, hammer, pliers etc. Oh...and duct tape and WD40, of course. The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - biggrin).

Next time, I'll try to get some pictures of the cans placed in the truck, for the concept to be clearer. For now, though...pictures of where what goes.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038515The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038516

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Some Miscellaneous Pictures

The re-fashioned spare wheel cover...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1038517

Positioning the Hi-Lift Jack

the phantom of city sadar road -1038292the phantom of city sadar road -1038293

The Snorkel

the phantom of city sadar road -1038295
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Full Four Doors

the phantom of city sadar road -1038298the phantom of city sadar road -1038299the phantom of city sadar road -1038300

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^pics not visible

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

pics not visible Fouad bhai!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Have I recently informed everyone how much I hate the new format of the PakWheels website?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you've been heard and agreed-upon by many of US, however - ADMIN & MODS are residents of President House Islamabad. You can see them smile rabbit tooth and mumbling silence translates to 'who has stopped them' as said by the punished former disqualified for 5 years PM to CNN reporter.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well...too bad. Personally, I won't be adding any new posts to THIS thread. I've discovered that it's simply not worth the effort, any longer.

If anyone would like to read more about the Phantom Rebuild, please visit Building A Four Door FJ40

Mods: Please close this thread. It was nice doing business with you.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well the good thing is at least pix are visible to me LOL
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bookmarked the link, main reason for logging onto pakwheels has been your phantom for couple of months sir

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@qwertpoiu you know you can do more than THAT step outside the President house
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Well...too bad. Personally, I won't be adding any new posts to THIS thread. I've discovered that it's simply not worth the effort, any longer.

If anyone would like to read more about the Phantom Rebuild, please visit Building A Four Door FJ40

Mods: Please close this thread. It was nice doing business with you.

Fouad bhai please keep on sharing here,ask mods to check your problem,we'll surely miss you and your project if you wont post ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 61 of 73 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

User Tag List