0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is called JIN ka bacha
    M aDNAN aSIM
    I want to Spend my Life On Roads

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

no words fouad bhai .....simply awsom....love ur phantom...ive come to ur home once with imransauvl for tyres..but didnt meet u...
    Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I?m going to take tomorrow ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by adnan_asim View Post
    This is called JIN ka bacha
    LOL. Many thanks, brother!

Quote Originally Posted by owais8668 View Post
    no words fouad bhai .....simply awsom....love ur phantom...ive come to ur home once with imransauvl for tyres..but didnt meet u...
    Well, next time you're in town, and you have the time...we must meet Owais. And thanks for the words of appreciation.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    LOL. Many thanks, brother!

Well, next time you're in town, and you have the time...we must meet Owais. And thanks for the words of appreciation.

INSHALLAH.....pleasure....THANK YOU...
    Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I?m going to take tomorrow ....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

M.A Sir very well done a great achievement.I have been a great fan of 4*4 since i remember, currently a student of veterinary medicine. To all the experts here is my question can these restored beauties be as reliable and trouble free as the new cars, because the jeeps that i have drived or sat in (Pajero INTERCOOLER 1997 and a LC PRADO 2002) only go to workshop for oilchanges or tuning or some other services such as A/C,timing belts plugs etc etc. Being inspired from many FJ40 owners at this forum i got hold of a mildly restored bj44 the single cab longversion of this thing but had to return it back to the owner because my household members just couldn't stand the thought of that thing being reliable so had to seattle in with a 2005 CIVIC, Promised again by my father of such a project after my graduation hence the info needed. Purpose of the jeep as it is the most important question MONDAY-SATURDAY a family work car as a civic or a corrola and a Sunday off roader. Budjet upto 1 million. An elderly advise, suggestion opinion is required.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sir! I once posted my appreciation for your love & passion for this re-build. But that was before I had visited ih8mud.com and saw your work there. Now that I've done that I must say with full honesty that I'm even more impressed by your posts there. And I have reasons for that.

Considering the fact that mostly Americans are members of that forum it's amazing how well they've taken your posts. I'm saying this because it is not easy to win their votes and admiration with average skills. But the members there are full of appreciation for your technical knowldege, aesthetic sense, command on English language, and ofcourse your passion. And I am even more grateful to you because you've presented a very superior image of Pakistan. The pictures of Pakistan you've posted and the timing of these posts have impressed those members and must've compelled them to change their impression of this country. So without any doubt you've done a great service for Pakistan by just sitting from here and winning their hearts with this awesome vehicle.

Please keep up the excellent work and God bless you.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by IbrahimKhanSwati View Post
    M.A Sir very well done a great achievement.I have been a great fan of 4*4 since i remember, currently a student of veterinary medicine. To all the experts here is my question can these restored beauties be as reliable and trouble free as the new cars, because the jeeps that i have drived or sat in (Pajero INTERCOOLER 1997 and a LC PRADO 2002) only go to workshop for oilchanges or tuning or some other services such as A/C,timing belts plugs etc etc. Being inspired from many FJ40 owners at this forum i got hold of a mildly restored bj44 the single cab longversion of this thing but had to return it back to the owner because my household members just couldn't stand the thought of that thing being reliable so had to seattle in with a 2005 CIVIC, Promised again by my father of such a project after my graduation hence the info needed. Purpose of the jeep as it is the most important question MONDAY-SATURDAY a family work car as a civic or a corrola and a Sunday off roader. Budjet upto 1 million. An elderly advise, suggestion opinion is required.
    Hello, Ibrahim. I'm really honoured that you choose to repose such trust in my judgment, since I'm neither really knowledgeable about these things, nor am I very current.

Your post leads me to believe that you'd be far more interested in something which offers a degree of comfort, in addition to some offroading capability. To this end, you have several options. All of these offroaders can provide you a mix of comfort, "family accpetance" and come in handy for those bone-jarring Sunday offroad sessions:-

Nissan Patrol (3/5 door)
    Toyota Landcruiser (70 series, 3/5 door).
    Suzuki Vitara (3 door)
    Mitsubishi Pajero (3/5 door)

This sort of money would also fetch you some really good specimens of the following more "hardcore" offroaders, such as:-

Jeep CJ5 (Wrangler shape, local)
    Toyota FJ40
    Suzuki SJ410 / Samurai
    (These rides would be truly awesome specimens, with diff locks, fat tyres, great engines, and all the accoutrements one would expect in a great trail rig)

At the end of the day, brother, it boils down to your personal choice more than anything else. Once you narrow the field of candidates down to a couple, for example, you could go about getting into an in-depth comparison between both potential purchases, setting out priorities with regard to upgrading comfort and/or offroad ability, and setting out to actually find the beast of your choice.

Personally, I'm of the firm view: GOOD offroaders can be purchased. GREAT offroaders are always built.

Please feel free to get any other advice with regards to specifics etc, whenever you want. I'll try my best to answer it as precisely, as possible.

Best of Luck.

Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by UAHMAD View Post
    Sir! I once posted my appreciation for your love & passion for this re-build. But that was before I had visited ih8mud.com and saw your work there. Now that I've done that I must say with full honesty that I'm even more impressed by your posts there. And I have reasons for that.

Considering the fact that mostly Americans are members of that forum it's amazing how well they've taken your posts. I'm saying this because it is not easy to win their votes and admiration with average skills. But the members there are full of appreciation for your technical knowldege, aesthetic sense, command on English language, and ofcourse your passion. And I am even more grateful to you because you've presented a very superior image of Pakistan. The pictures of Pakistan you've posted and the timing of these posts have impressed those members and must've compelled them to change their impression of this country. So without any doubt you've done a great service for Pakistan by just sitting from here and winning their hearts with this awesome vehicle.

Please keep up the excellent work and God bless you.
    Honestly speaking, brother, your words humble me.

The posts on the ih8mud forum are actually, nothing but a depiction of the way MOST of us are. The pictures, the anecdotes, the technical descriptions (which aren't all-that-technical to be honest), and the scenes from everyday Pakistan, are very much how I SEE our beautiful country.

When you strip away the superficial things, a lot of people around the world share a common set of values, hopes, dreams, aspirations, and passions. The thread on ih8mud was just an attempt to provide people on the other side of the world, with an insight into how we're not all that different from them, when it comes to our love for these awesome offroad machines. If I've succeeded in that, I'm a very happy man, indeed!

And I also realise that this thread has been somewhat dormant for a long time. My bad. The Phantom waits its turn to be finally painted and fully rebirthed. The past few weeks has seen a definite lull in activity for the monster, but that doesn't mean that it's dead. It's just sleeping!

Thanks for the very kind words, and the wonderfully invigorating post.

Cheers.

Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

...and the LAST time I saw this thread, we were at 75,000 page hits. HOW did it get this close to 100,000 all of a sudden?!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Just to show that the Phantom isn't forgotten...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20130113 171500 zps4629606a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 20130113 171516 zpsdab7d745

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When r u going to do the Paint job
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

edit-
    The men are back. @TGT.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Phantom looking awesome
    The men are back. @TGT.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
    When r u going to do the Paint job
    Guru Ji, I was planning for it last autumn but there were some logistics involved with the painter. Now, we're planning to do it once the weather gets a little warmer, Insha Allah.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Awesome work and great rig you have made buddy Very awe inspiring stuff and it must be something in the finished form; i did see it at jamil ustaad's last year in Ramadan and it was work in progress at that time.
    Can you please share where you got hold of the roof lights and the cost?
    cheers

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kashmann View Post
    Awesome work and great rig you have made buddy Very awe inspiring stuff and it must be something in the finished form; i did see it at jamil ustaad's last year in Ramadan and it was work in progress at that time.
    Can you please share where you got hold of the roof lights and the cost?
    cheers
    Thank you for the kind words.

The lights cost me PKR 20K. I got hold of them from Peshawar. The bar on which they're mounted, though, is locally manufactured from a design I specified.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'm humbled by all the interest, support and encouragement that I've received from nearly everyone on here. That this thread has reached a hundred thousand hits, is evidence enough of just how many people have stepped up with their advice, their views, and their opinions.

I owe a debt of gratitude to everyone for that. Without which, the Phantom would not be the creature that it is.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Here's looking at you all!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks for sharing; would it be possible to share the contact as i want to get similar lights for my FJ too

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'm afraid not, brother...I don't remember the name or number of the shop I bought them from

Sorry I couldn't have been of more help.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good to see the latest pics of Phantom, standing tall with all of its uniqueness...

I think it'll undergo upholstery work after paint job. Am I right?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 65 of 73 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast

User Tag List