0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by UAHMAD View Post
    Good to see the latest pics of Phantom, standing tall with all of its uniqueness...

I think it'll undergo upholstery work after paint job. Am I right?
    Thanks for the kind words, brother.

Yes, a complete re-working of the upholstery is very much on the cards. I'm inclined towards doing the front and rear seats in leather/leatherette because of the obvious advantages of stain / mud / overspray protection. The doors will be getting some beautiful matching inner boards. And the dashboard will be getting some treatment, too. In addition, the inner roll cage will be getting some upholstery, too. The sound system will be the last addition...which will be something LOUD, to make itself heard over the roar of the exhaust!

I'm somewhat inclined towards keeping the floor of the Phantom carpet-free, and will probably look at spraying the floor with 3M Rubberised Coating, to make it nice and grippy and easily-washable at the same time.

All of this, though, after the final paint job, Insha Allah.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Killer rides. All of them are very unique.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Saaduk View Post
    Killer rides. All of them are very unique.
    Thank you, Saad. It's good seeing you again, brother!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

nice work sir...

u made this thread like that no one can leave this thread to comment or to have a look....the pics are a story it self...

will love to see an another impala standing in that line...

BOL...

cheers...

OWAIS.
    Which of my photographs is my favorite? The one I?m going to take tomorrow ....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for the very kind words, Owais.

The other Impala is getting some finishing touches. And I know...it seems like I've been saying that for several weeks, now . But in all honesty, I think we should be seeing it on the roads sometime within the next few days. My son, of course, is terribly excited about this happening, although I'm not too sure his mother agrees with him, entirely .

Once the other Impala gets done, I think it'll be time for the finishing touches on the Phantom. Following which, it should be time for the other other Impala! The fun just never ends!

Once again, thanks for the good wishes.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Always a treat to catch your rigs in the 'before and after' process Sir.
    4x4 for life!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mashallah! An exemplary machine you have created! Seems like you have been getting your hands dirty quite often? Would be able to help point me in the right direction as to where one can find a neat set of 33 MT's?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hayzin View Post
    Always a treat to catch your rigs in the 'before and after' process Sir.
    Thank you so much, brother. The frequent and generous moral support of friends and well-wishers is always welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by alijees View Post
    Mashallah! An exemplary machine you have created! Seems like you have been getting your hands dirty quite often? Would be able to help point me in the right direction as to where one can find a neat set of 33 MT's?
    Jazak Allah. Thank you for the kind words. And yes, I'm very pleased with the way the Phantom has shaped up and evolved, Alhamdolillah.

The other day I was roaming around Sultan Ka Khu, where I spotted some absolutely "tall and skinny" BFGoodrich tyres. I didn't really stop to inquire about their sizes, but a cursory visual inspection appeared to put them in the 31-33 inch size range. As you move along Rawal Road from the airport's side, these tyre shops will come on the left, after the Punjab Institute of Cardiology. You can't miss them.

Once again, thanks for the appreciation, and best of luck in your quest!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Update

It's been a long time in the pipeline, but tomorrow the Phantom goes for its final paint work. This paintwork will be carried out in Islamabad rather than City Sadar Road, by the same artists who've painted the '67 Impala.

There was a huge amount of discussion on the colour choice. Most of which, took place between young Shayaan Hafeez and myself! Till the very last moment, he was keen on a shade of blue, while I maintained that the Phantom would look best in pumpkin orange. Guess who won?

So...pumpkin orange it is.

My reasons for this are manifold. First off, this is such a unique and distinctive colour on the FJ40. I think we've done all the other stock colours on the FJ40 to death, but pumpkin orange has somehow failed to be seen on a great many FJ40s in Pakistan. I think it'll be a terrific combination with black embellishments (bumper, undercarriage, kick vents, door and windscreen hinges, smokestack, snorkel, etc). This combination of orange and black also lends itself quite beautifully to the interior, which will be done up in matching shades.

Of course, certain touches in chrome will also be added. The jaali of the exhaust, for example. The jaali of the front grille. Some of the latches on the spare wheel mount and daala. And one area where I'm going to be impractical rather than sensible, is on the axle tube. The rear tube's differential cover is going to get the chrome treatment, too. The shackles are going to get a chrome layer, as well. Kabhi kabhi, you have to give in to the need to see some shiny stuff, even on a hardcore off-road rig!

Of course, now that the vehicle is going to be pumpkin orange and black, the bumper-mounted Hi-Lift jack is going to be colour-coordinated to match, too. As are the white Rancho shocks. The only thing that is going to be left white is the fiberglass roof, and the lettering "PHANTOM" on the rear wheel mount.

I should be able to get an estimate of how long it's going to take, by tomorrow, Insha Allah.

Let's bring this beast to life, finally!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Colour scheme sounds real exciting. And as you said it's quite unique too. Can't wait to see it get done

But I disagree with you when you say 'Let's bring this beast to life, finally'. If it wasn't 'ALIVE
    already this thread wouldn't have attracted so much attention. Don't you agree?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by UAHMAD View Post
    Colour scheme sounds real exciting. And as you said it's quite unique too. Can't wait to see it get done

But I disagree with you when you say 'Let's bring this beast to life, finally'. If it wasn't 'ALIVE
    already this thread wouldn't have attracted so much attention. Don't you agree?
    You're right. This thread has pulsed with a certain vibrancy and life of its own. I stand corrected, brother.

Let's bring this beast to MORE life, finally.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good selection of Color
    I am sure it will look COOL
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamir567 View Post
    Good selection of Color
    I am sure it will look COOL
    Shukriya, Guru Ji.

Main ne issey kaala rang de ke aag tau nahin lagwaani thi, na?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lovely selection Sir, eagerly awaiting photos!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Pumpkin Orange!!! First i thought has this guy gone nuts... i mean after all this hard work the Beast really looks like The BEAST... and now this guy wants to turn it into a Cinderella Ride for the dance party!!! But when i read on and visualized it .... "terrific combination with black embellishments".... Sir jee you are the BOMB!!!! Perfect combination, i must say!!!
    Aint no mountain high enough... Aint no valley too low!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@fouadhafeez

Today I called my mechanic in F11 to discuss something and the first information i got was "Ali Bhai baqi sab chorian idhar aik fj40 ai hae tractor ke tyroo wali. kya jhahaz hae yar". So finally its there for paint job. Im damn sure people will be stoping on the road side have a glimpse of the giant "aur melay ka samaa ho ga waha" Will be visiting this weekend. Hoping to meet you too.

With regards.
    //.....Don't bully Korean cars.......//

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by madCYRUS View Post
    Pumpkin Orange!!! First i thought has this guy gone nuts... i mean after all this hard work the Beast really looks like The BEAST... and now this guy wants to turn it into a Cinderella Ride for the dance party!!! But when i read on and visualized it .... "terrific combination with black embellishments".... Sir jee you are the BOMB!!!! Perfect combination, i must say!!!
    LOL

"Just make sure you're back by midnight"!

On a more serious note, I went through three different shade cards for the colour, today. The orange that I've selected is a very "acidic" orange which looks absolutely eye-popping. I'm still on the fence, as to whether this should or should not get a spray of pearl / candy paint over it, just to set off some shine. With it though, we're going to use a matte black which should give a beautiful satin-like finish to the embellishments and accoutrements. The white is going to be a very glacial, very WHITE white for the roof and the lettering on the rear wheel cover.

In addition, we're going to give some more minute touches to the vehicle. All nuts that are going to be fitted to black portions (like the door hinges, the hood catches, the daala latches, etc) are going to be hard-chromed. All the nuts that go onto orange or chrome pieces (the rear axle dustplate, the interior, etc) are going to be powder coated black. The effect should be visually exciting!

My painter insists that he wants to airbrush a "phantom figure" onto the bonnet, too. Although I'm at quite a loss why he should want to do this, since the surface of the hood isn't immediately visible to anyone under six feet height, or anyone who isn't sitting in the vehicle, itself!

The flip side to all of this, is that the painter has asked for three whole months, just to paint the rig

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by azkhan View Post
    @fouadhafeez

Today I called my mechanic in F11 to discuss something and the first information i got was "Ali Bhai baqi sab chorian idhar aik fj40 ai hae tractor ke tyroo wali. kya jhahaz hae yar". So finally its there for paint job. Im damn sure people will be stoping on the road side have a glimpse of the giant "aur melay ka samaa ho ga waha" Will be visiting this weekend. Hoping to meet you too.

With regards.
    It was very much a melay ka maahol in F-11, Ali!

As soon as I stopped, there was a virtual swarm of people climbing up and under the beast; trying to figure out what all had been done to it! Much discussions went on about exactly what vehicle it was, and consensus seemed to settle on "aey Japaanoon ayee aey". Little did they know that its pedigree traces right back to City Sadar Road!

Anyways, exciting times are around the corner for the Phantom, Insha Allah. Let's see what the future holds.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alijees View Post
    Lovely selection Sir, eagerly awaiting photos!
    Insha Allah, soon.

By the way, did you have any luck finding any tires at the place I'd advised you?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Eid Milad un Nabi (S.A.W.) Mubarak, everyone.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 66 of 73 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

User Tag List