0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    LOL

"Just make sure you're back by midnight"!

On a more serious note, I went through three different shade cards for the colour, today. The orange that I've selected is a very "acidic" orange which looks absolutely eye-popping. I'm still on the fence, as to whether this should or should not get a spray of pearl / candy paint over it, just to set off some shine. With it though, we're going to use a matte black which should give a beautiful satin-like finish to the embellishments and accoutrements. The white is going to be a very glacial, very WHITE white for the roof and the lettering on the rear wheel cover.

In addition, we're going to give some more minute touches to the vehicle. All nuts that are going to be fitted to black portions (like the door hinges, the hood catches, the daala latches, etc) are going to be hard-chromed. All the nuts that go onto orange or chrome pieces (the rear axle dustplate, the interior, etc) are going to be powder coated black. The effect should be visually exciting!

My painter insists that he wants to airbrush a "phantom figure" onto the bonnet, too. Although I'm at quite a loss why he should want to do this, since the surface of the hood isn't immediately visible to anyone under six feet height, or anyone who isn't sitting in the vehicle, itself!

The flip side to all of this, is that the painter has asked for three whole months, just to paint the rig
    Sir dont let him do the bonnet panga.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk 2
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Amazing job done ! Great. Hope the paint job goes as good as the rest of the work.

Just wanted to suggest that dark metallic grey would look awesome on this thing. Plus handles and other stuff could be chromed.

All the best.
    I have learnt that I have a lot to learn.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Orange:O - Sir, Lets give it a 2nd thousand thought

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1118750
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow... Mashallah

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by dms664 View Post
    Sir dont let him do the bonnet panga.
    No worries, boss...I won't let him do any such thing.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by chocoholic View Post
    Amazing job done ! Great. Hope the paint job goes as good as the rest of the work.

Just wanted to suggest that dark metallic grey would look awesome on this thing. Plus handles and other stuff could be chromed.

All the best.
    Thank you for the appreciation, the good wishes, and the input.

I don't want to jump the gun just yet, but I have plans for another ride to be done up in gunmetal grey and chrome.

On the other hand, this vehicle needs to be done up in brighter colours in my opinion. On the basis of size and dimensions alone, it's large and intimidating as it is. I think the bright orange would offset that. Besides...I've always wanted an orange car!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Orange:O - Sir, Lets give it a 2nd thousand thought

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1118750
    Wow.

What a beautiful rig! Perhaps "Phantom II" is going to be a four-door full-body SUV like the one in this picture!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Defender 90

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a
    AOA, I have just bought Land Rover Defender 1984 model and wants to do some work like change colour, cage, new wheels. Engine is perfectly fine, there is no rust. Could you please advise me what is a best way to do these things and where is this place. Regards. Mubashar

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hello, Ibrahim. I'm really honoured that you choose to repose such trust in my judgment, since I'm neither really knowledgeable about these things, nor am I very current.

Your post leads me to believe that you'd be far more interested in something which offers a degree of comfort, in addition to some offroading capability. To this end, you have several options. All of these offroaders can provide you a mix of comfort, "family accpetance" and come in handy for those bone-jarring Sunday offroad sessions:-

Nissan Patrol (3/5 door)
    Toyota Landcruiser (70 series, 3/5 door).
    Suzuki Vitara (3 door)
    Mitsubishi Pajero (3/5 door)

This sort of money would also fetch you some really good specimens of the following more "hardcore" offroaders, such as:-

Jeep CJ5 (Wrangler shape, local)
    Toyota FJ40
    Suzuki SJ410 / Samurai
    (These rides would be truly awesome specimens, with diff locks, fat tyres, great engines, and all the accoutrements one would expect in a great trail rig)

At the end of the day, brother, it boils down to your personal choice more than anything else. Once you narrow the field of candidates down to a couple, for example, you could go about getting into an in-depth comparison between both potential purchases, setting out priorities with regard to upgrading comfort and/or offroad ability, and setting out to actually find the beast of your choice.

Personally, I'm of the firm view: GOOD offroaders can be purchased. GREAT offroaders are always built.

Please feel free to get any other advice with regards to specifics etc, whenever you want. I'll try my best to answer it as precisely, as possible.

Best of Luck.

Fouad.
    The pleasure is all mine sir, since i have been somewhat close to the line of fire in restoring vehicle that was in working condition i can well imagine the daunting patience, effort and time required to do the PHANTOM. Thank You so much for the advise and the kid gesture for future help as far as the choices are concerned ARMY AUCTIONED FJ40 OR an RKR OR RMR. I hope you have many happy miles with the phantom and the impalal's and as they say AIN'T NO MOUNTAIN THAT HIGH. Surely "PHANTOM" fullfils that.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes sir, i found the place, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Although a bit pricey though, this guy had Silverstone and Savero MTs, they looked brand new @Rs.20,000/tyre. Does anyone recommend this brand? From what I hear Saveros are too hard and noisy.

Insha Allah, soon.

By the way, did you have any luck finding any tires at the place I'd advised you?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alijees View Post
    Yes sir, i found the place, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. Although a bit pricey though, this guy had Silverstone and Savero MTs, they looked brand new @Rs.20,000/tyre. Does anyone recommend this brand? From what I hear Saveros are too hard and noisy.
    I am driving Savero 33x12.5x15 in my BJ - Correct that these are Very hard and noisy on tarmac but Traction and offroad performance is amazing. Just on suggestion that try to find a fresh rubber if you select Savero.

Good Luck

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by alijees View Post
    Boss, when we talk about off-road tyres, there always has to be a bit of a trade-off between traction and road noise. Inevitably, tyres that are geared towards off-road performance WILL be somewhat noisier than others. I suppose the primary use of the vehicle is what should dictate the selection of tyres. For a vehicle that will basically perform on-road, and occasionally venture off the beaten track, it makes sense to use 'softer' tyres with a less-aggressive guddi pattern. On the other hand, for a vehicle which will be used hard a lot of them time, the opposite holds true.

I've never personally used Saveros myself, but from what I've been told they look and perform good.

By the way...I also saw a LOT of BFGoodrich tyres there, as well.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Mubasharkarim View Post
    AOA, I have just bought Land Rover Defender 1984 model and wants to do some work like change colour, cage, new wheels. Engine is perfectly fine, there is no rust. Could you please advise me what is a best way to do these things and where is this place. Regards. Mubashar
    To my mind, City Sadar Road is the Mecca of all off-road builds, in that you can get everything done (paint, dent, interior, mechanicals, add-ons, etc) within a stone's throw of one another. You'll find plenty of people there, he deal with all facets that you mentioned. Visit the place some time, and ask around. You might find some ideas that you like.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

First of all hats off to you for pullin this off. Not every one has the resilience to execute such a build. Also kudos on thinking big (pun intended) and letting your imagination run unrestrained. When I first stumbled across this thread I was a little intimitated by the 60 odd pages of reading, but time flies when you are having a good time: before I knew it I was done with it.

The Phantom is truly mind blowing. One thing though that comes to mind when looking at it in profile is the absence of a free style / rear-hinged door (a la the Mazda RX-8) for the rear hatch. Seems a tad bit tricky ascending into the rear the way things stand. I know it's an unconventional idea for an off-roader, but hey this is an unconventional - though utilitarian - machine. Any way just spit-balling here.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by YounusK View Post
    First of all hats off to you for pullin this off. Not every one has the resilience to execute such a build. Also kudos on thinking big (pun intended) and letting your imagination run unrestrained. When I first stumbled across this thread I was a little intimitated by the 60 odd pages of reading, but time flies when you are having a good time: before I knew it I was done with it.

The Phantom is truly mind blowing. One thing though that comes to mind when looking at it in profile is the absence of a free style / rear-hinged door (a la the Mazda RX-8) for the rear hatch. Seems a tad bit tricky ascending into the rear the way things stand. I know it's an unconventional idea for an off-roader, but hey this is an unconventional - though utilitarian - machine. Any way just spit-balling here.
    I'm humbled by the compliments. Thank you so much for that, first off. To be honest, while we've rebuilt virtually everything on this rig, we HAVE tried to ensure that everything remains utilitarian. Suicide doors on the Phantom would have looked perhaps a little out of place, although you can rest assured that during the planning phase, we considered literally EVERY design out there, before settling on what you see. Another reason why I wanted to settle for 'original' doors (at least looks-wise) was to make sure that the Phantom (in spite of its big boots and Jennifer Lopez dimensions) remained a no-nonsense, hardcore, bad-a$$ FJ40 at heart. Whether we've succeeded with that or not, is anyone's guess, I'd say.

Once again, thank you for the continued interest...and please do overlook my delay in replying.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

And gentlemen, I know we're all perverts at heart. While we like things 'fully-clothed' and well made up...we like 'em even more when they're stripped and bared and naked.

So...for all the readers who've tagged along for this ride of a lifetime, I'd like to say "thank you".

And as a gesture of my appreciation (and since we all love a good set of photos)...here are some snaps of the 'topless' Phantom...in its summer garb

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1178426The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1178427The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1178428
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

""I know we're all perverts at heart"" loving it
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.......

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'm humbled by the compliments. Thank you so much for that, first off. To be honest, while we've rebuilt virtually everything on this rig, we HAVE tried to ensure that everything remains utilitarian. Suicide doors on the Phantom would have looked perhaps a little out of place, although you can rest assured that during the planning phase, we considered literally EVERY design out there, before settling on what you see. Another reason why I wanted to settle for 'original' doors (at least looks-wise) was to make sure that the Phantom (in spite of its big boots and Jennifer Lopez dimensions) remained a no-nonsense, hardcore, bad-a$$ FJ40 at heart. Whether we've succeeded with that or not, is anyone's guess, I'd say.

Once again, thank you for the continued interest...and please do overlook my delay in replying.
    Lolxxx @ Janifer Lopez Dimentions - Welcome back sir we missed this intelect-funky style responses

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Love the summer look of the babe - though this spare wheel trunk is poping out so badly in overall looks of the monster.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Love the summer look of the babe - though this spare wheel trunk is poping out so badly in overall looks of the monster.
    When we took off the roof, the doors, and the rear cowl...we also took off the wheel cover. But to be honest, bro...it just didn't look like the Phantom, any longer. Which is why we bunged it back on, immediately. Besides...election ke din qareeb aa rahe hain. I plan to mount a ginormous "VOTE FOR CHANGE...NOW" poster on it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 73 FirstFirst ... 17576566676869 ... LastLast

User Tag List