0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    ................................The engine you saw in Peshawar, which was being quoted at Rs. 2.8 Lakh...what did it include?
    Fouad, I had just tagged along with a friend for that trip, wasn't looking for 1FZ particularly, saw one there, so asked the shopkeeper (in shobha) and was told the price and that it comes with complete wiring computer etc. Didn't ask for any other details. Sorry couldn't be of more help.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@fouadhafeez: Its probably mentioned somewhere but can't find it, what is the exact tire size on those super swampers? Also have you come across any other projects with the same size on an FJ40?
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Fouad, I had just tagged along with a friend for that trip, wasn't looking for 1FZ particularly, saw one there, so asked the shopkeeper (in shobha) and was told the price and that it comes with complete wiring computer etc. Didn't ask for any other details. Sorry couldn't be of more help.
    Thanks anyways, brother.

Mujhe yeh engine bhi wiring computer waghaira ke saath hi mil raha hai, so it doesn't really seem like such a bad deal, in 3 Lakhs to begin with.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    @fouadhafeez: Its probably mentioned somewhere but can't find it, what is the exact tire size on those super swampers? Also have you come across any other projects with the same size on an FJ40?
    These tyres are 15/42-15 Super Swamper TSL tyres. This size, as correctly pointed out by nn, translates into a 380/90/15 size in terms more familiar to us. The tyres are mounted on hollow alloy rims that are unmarked except for one rim which had "Rancho" printed on it. The "depth" of the rims, is probably somewhere in the region of 8-9 inches, which would mean that the tyres would likely stick out about a foot each on either side of the wheel arches (although I haven't mounted the wheels on the beast just yet. I'm in Kharian, the FJ is in Pindi). When I'm in Pindi (over the weekend) I'll try mounting the wheels to the FJ, and share some photos, although I'm not at all sure that the wheels will fit in a stock FJ.

As far as I know, the largest wheel size mounted to an FJ that I've seen on PW, is on tareen's FJ (37's if I remember correctly). Saaduk has tried 38's on a BJ. I think I've seen a couple of Wranglers / CJs wearing 33's, in Pindi. I saw a Dodge pickup wearing pretty large tyres on City Saddar road the other day, which looked to be in the 37's-38's region. To be honest, I haven't seen these tyres anywhere in Pakistan, much less less mounted on an FJ...LOL.

I'm including a picture of these exact tyres mounted on a Jeep CJ7, though. God, they look sexy!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -330064

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default FJ Wearing Super Swampers

Was just scouring the internet, and found this picture of an FJ40 wearing 42 inch Super Swamper TSL's.

Whoa!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -330065

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Sorry for the late entry to the 'Club Super Size' due to faulty internet device.

Great project Sir!

In the picture above, it seems to be a show/promotional vehicle. There is hardly any space for articulation let alone turning the front wheels.

But, YEAH, 42" tires look awesome on any vehicle from Samurai to Suburban.

Its going to be a landmark project in the history of projects ;-)

Ma'Sha Allah

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Punga Has A Name! Finally!

This is going to be the vehicle's logo on the front of the grille...replacing the "TOYOTA" likhai.

"Phantom". I think it has a nice sound to it.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -330297

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This is going to be the vehicle's logo on the front of the grille...replacing the "TOYOTA" likhai.

"Phantom". I think it has a nice sound to it.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 330297
    Nice name. It has a Xing to it.
    TC
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tareen View Post
    Sorry for the late entry to the 'Club Super Size' due to faulty internet device.

Great project Sir!

In the picture above, it seems to be a show/promotional vehicle. There is hardly any space for articulation let alone turning the front wheels.

But, YEAH, 42" tires look awesome on any vehicle from Samurai to Suburban.

Its going to be a landmark project in the history of projects ;-)

Ma'Sha Allah
    @tareen: God bless you for your encouragement. And your enthusiasm, too!

Ab jab yeh punga le hi liya hai, tau bhaiyon key mashwarey, un ki daanishmandi, aur un ki duaon ki zaroorat hogi.

I'm hyper-impressed with your work on your FJ. If I'm able to make mine behave and look even a fraction as good, I'll consider myself a lucky man.

As an update for everyone else following this thread, Irfan (my trusty driver) has just reported on the TLC that has been dished out to the wheels. According to him, the buff-polishing of the rims has yielded spectacular results. Can't wait to get to Pindi and see for myself. Pics will definitely follow.

I've tracked down a pair of TLC diffs in Quetta, from a 1996 Cruising. I'm told they're 10/41 diffs, have all-round disc brakes, and come with electronic diff locks. The price that is being quoted (at Pindi) is Rs. 1,35,000. Views of knowledgeable brothers on how good these diffs are, and comments on the price, are requested please.

Warm regards...Fouad.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There is so much of interesting discussion on all the pages that I would love to finish reading all of it first probably by tomorrow morning and then flow along the discussion.

Just thinking loudly and with limited insight on previous discussion, considering the cost of engine 300k + Diffs 135k + transmission & transfer case ??? + steering assembly ??? + shocks and other tit bits will account to close or slightly over 500k.

What about getting an NCP vehicle from Quetta for a bit more > take out all u need > sell the rest on PW thread "4x4 Loot Sale" ! Just a thought...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Tareen Bhai - Thats the best suggestion, I wish i would have accepted your suggestion Hope that Fuad Sb will consider it seriously .

Should Buy a 80 series multivalve so all in one go, including steering assembly, brakes , seats, motor, transmission, diffs, everything And a good set of on road tyres and rim too.
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@tareen: That is indeed, a good idea brother. I wish I was able to do it. As it is, I'm afraid I'm going to have to stick with buying things piecemeal. However, being the eternal optimist, I look at the bright side of things...I'm going to get the best of all worlds, not both worlds. Engine from an FZJ79, diffs from a series 100 TLC, steering from a series 80 TLC. Dashboard from a series 90 TLC. Spring-shock seats from a Mitsubishi Pajero! LOL

@machine: agar aap ko pata chal jaye ke KITNA "serious consideration" mein ne Tareen bhai ke idea ko diya, tau aap yakeen hi nahin karein ge!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As per my back of the envelope workings, with these tires you would need a diff ratio of around 5.25 for comparable performance tfo 33 inch tires on the stock 4.1 (10:41) diffs. As a compromise, you could go for 4.88 (8:39) which would run the 33s with torque and get you by on the 42s. Ideally the ratio seems to be 5.29 (7:37).

You could get the 1996 80 series diffs with lockers and from what I understand you could replace the ring pinion with a Toyota Dyna set which should be available in both these ratios i.e. 4.88 (8:39) and 5.29 (7:37). The conversion process is tedious but what I understand the swap should be possible albeit it is simpler and and tested with 60 series diffs. On 80 series diffs, I have only read on the net that the swap should be doable even though its not been done here.... Anyways some more research required on this!

Incase the above sounds nice unnecessary chatter pls see pic below of an FJ40 on 42s (sorry could not find a smaller one!). Note the diffs are Rockwells with ratios of 6+ (or something like that).....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default FJ40 on 42s and Rockwell 2.5s...

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - P1020080

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@SuhaibKiani: Pic not seen here, brother.

I'm probably wrong here...but isn't the stock FJ ratio 8:39?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

I would suggest you to install these tyres even if it require some serious mods. As one thing is understood, Nothing can beat the beauty of Super Swampers. Series 40s with swampers look stunning.

2UZ is offcourse better than 1FZ in every aspect, its powerful, it fits better, better economy and what not. 1FZ shines when you are into turbo modifying and high HP gains.

This thread is very informative and interesting. Thanks to Mr. Suhaib Kiani.

I can see how the oversized tyres would be troublesome that way. However, I think it'd be possible to fit them whilst having to rely on some jugaar here or there. Spring Over Axle (SOA) modification (as mentioned in SuhaibKiani's very helpful post), shackle reversal with slightly curved springs, suspension lift with extra long travel shocks, body lift at the body-frame juncture, etcetera, are just some of the options that come to mind. And then, there's an entire Pandora's box of body modifications / chops that can be used.

Personally, I wouldn't want to tamper with the outward appearances of the body TOO much. And like I mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I wouldn't want this vehicle to become custom-built "tyre-specific".

Zaati taur pe, and for the sake of intellectual discussion, I'm still inclined towards the petrol engines (1FZ-FE, 2UZ, as mentioned by NN in his post). Whilst it may sound like a case of being penny wise and pound foolish, I see nothing wrong with this beast being fit with a CNG kit, for eating away the miles on blacktop roads (with at least a slight modicum of economy), whilst retaining the ability to switch to petrol, for those hardcore, extreme off-road occasions.

And once again, the overwhelmingly useful thing about this thread (for me, at least) is that it's providing a wonderful stimulus / intellectual sounding board for a host of planned, calculated activities with this Punga I'm about to undertake.

Thanks for your contribution, Saad!
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@fouadhafeez....First of all, its important (more important than finding the best engine itself), to put some shock-absorbers on the vehicle in your avatar! The guy will turn into a jelly by the time FJ40 goes under the knife!

And before that, I wanted to appreciate your selection of vehicle in terms of its exceptional condition (yet its auctioned), speedy progress, vision to undertake a massively challenging project so boldly, your sources & resources and positive approach towards discussing with others.

I look forward to learn & enjoy a lot from your vision & research that you have put together along with great input from the maestros & gurus.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@SuhaibKiani: Pic not seen here, brother.

I'm probably wrong here...but isn't the stock FJ ratio 8:39?
    Brother SuhaibKiani will be able to describe it better, but just in case, if the VIN plate says
    K052 - its a 3.7 &
    K084 - its a 4.11

In my case, with 3.7 ratio & 37" tires, as per charts & calculators, my machine is running at the very best of its economy & acceleration but would suffer when need to crawl. At the moment, I'm least bothered about crawling as the nearest rock from my place is about 6 hours drive :-)

4.88 would be an ideal for my vehicle (again, as per charts) and close to stock power specs.
    regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tareen View Post
    Brother SuhaibKiani will be able to describe it better, but just in case, if the VIN plate says
    K052 - its a 3.7 &
    K084 - its a 4.11

In my case, with 3.7 ratio & 37" tires, as per charts & calculators, my machine is running at the very best of its economy & acceleration but would suffer when need to crawl. At the moment, I'm least bothered about crawling as the nearest rock from my place is about 6 hours drive :-)

4.88 would be an ideal for my vehicle (again, as per charts) and close to stock power specs.
    regards
    Easy Diff ratio calculator for layman's like me

diff ratio.xls
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    Easy Diff ratio calculator for layman's like me

diff ratio.xls
    Can't fit my tires into that

As the title of the website says, ....lolz

I find this one to be among the easiest

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/gear-ratio-chart.htm

OR as someone said somewhere on the net....

multiply the tire size by .13 (site said .12 which is not giving exact numbers)
    e.g. 37" x 0.13 = 4.81
    and 42" x 0.13 = 5.46 and so on...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 73 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

User Tag List