0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dad, where are the pictures of the finished interior?
    "A car is just a car unless it's my car" - Faraz Arif

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kambrit View Post
    chassis of lj70 I need is custom paid.
    Where my fj40 is already paid so I think I have to go with weld idea caz I have got lj70 non custom in terrible condition so I was thinking of using that bought it for 45000rs to use on project which I didn't in the end.
    Lol
    So much welding is not advisable nor practical. Not only is it an engineering nightmare, but it will also weaken the chassis. There are "ways"of making the non customs duty paid chassis legal but I won't mention how here.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I love this car, hats off to you, man. You have really done a wonderful job, I think i am going to steal some ideas from your project. :p And also when i start my project i'd love for you to give me advice. Cheers, bro!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question: how do you 'pungafy' with a rig that is wearing 42 inch tyres?

Answer: you plan to install 44 inch tyres, instead.

Stay tuned for this next part of the Phantom's ongoing evolution.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This 44 inch tires idea actually came up just yesterday, whilst on a visit to Tarnol. As is usually the case, Nikki Ustad and I had gone there for something else, and ended up looking into something completely different.

The tires which we liked the most were a beautiful set of 13.00R20 ones made by Bridgestone. Fresh stock (late 2012), too!

Now, for the sake of comparison, the Phantom currently wears Super Swampers in 15-42-15 size. This equates to 385/85/15 in metric terms. In layman's terms, that means a width of 15 inches, height of 42 inches, and a rim size of 15 inches. Pretty formidable!

The 13.00R20 size equates to 365/85/20 in metric terms. In simple explanation, that means a width of 14.4 inches (a little thinner), a height of 44.4 inches (much taller), and a rim size of 20 inches (much larger). We placed the tires next to the beast, and I have to say...they look awesome.

Theoretically speaking, this should 'lift' the rig by about another inch or so, and make the tires sit a little closer to the wheel arches and fender flares. Of course, the downside to this is that a set of 20 inch wheels would have to be purchased, too. I'm tempted to follow through with this. Just for the sake of bringing the truck into that category of rigs which rides the largest tire size currently available. 44s are the largest 'regular' size of tires currently making the rounds. Even were I to NOT fit these tires yet, I think it'd make a useful purchase, until such time as I run the Super Swampers into a state of lifelessness. Purchasing items when you don't immediately need them, is better than doing so in a rush, when you're pressed for time to keep the rig on road.

Let's see how this 'New Year's present' for the Phantom unfolds.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    211 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

waiting anxiously to see outcome
    seems that in later stages it ll turn into monster truck or something like that.
    Project GTxx

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Respect Sir,

Chota Mu bari baat But Wanna Say That

I haven't Seen The Phantom In Any Offroading Event Yet
    Like Doing Some Obstacles or Some Offroading As IJC & Other Clubs Do ..

As I Have Mostly Seen it on ROAD Till Now ...

So Are We Going To See Some Hardcore Action Soon ? I Hope U get My point Sir ..

Healthy Regards
    SK
    Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
    Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryar View Post
    Respect Sir,

Chota Mu bari baat But Wanna Say That

I haven't Seen The Phantom In Any Offroading Event Yet
    Like Doing Some Obstacles or Some Offroading As IJC & Other Clubs Do ..

As I Have Mostly Seen it on ROAD Till Now ...

So Are We Going To See Some Hardcore Action Soon ? I Hope U get My point Sir ..

Healthy Regards
    SK
    Hi, Sherry.

You're absolutely right. The Phantom hasn't actually seen much action at all. On the road, or off the road. Pretty much the only occasion it has ventured out of home, was for the PakWheels show at Islamabad...or the routine running it gets every now or then, to keep it up and about.

Soon. Insha Allah.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Hi, Sherry.

You're absolutely right. The Phantom hasn't actually seen much action at all. On the road, or off the road. Pretty much the only occasion it has ventured out of home, was for the PakWheels show at Islamabad...or the routine running it gets every now or then, to keep it up and about.

Soon. Insha Allah.
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1332745

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

does it has seatbelt?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Not a car-related post...but please do read and extend help, if you know of the owners.

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/non...lost-dog-found

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi, Sherry.

Soon. Insha Allah.
    Now now Sir, I will never forget the first time I saw the Phantom in action at Rawat on one of our IJC events. I had recently acquired my Nissan Patrol and my attention was diverted when I saw this monstrous rig approach my lens! Mashallah; may we see it in many more events to come as the Ultimate 4x4 Dominator!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    4x4 for life!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

That was QUITE the first outing, Hayzin.

But honestly...my preoccupation with some of the other cars that are under the knife, has seriously affected the Phantom seeing much more of the same sort of action.

God bless you for the kind words, and appreciation. Always a pleasure hearing from you, mate.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

This 44 inch tires idea actually came up just yesterday, whilst on a visit to Tarnol. As is usually the case, Nikki Ustad and I had gone there for something else, and ended up looking into something completely different.

The tires which we liked the most were a beautiful set of 13.00R20 ones made by Bridgestone. Fresh stock (late 2012), too!

Now, for the sake of comparison, the Phantom currently wears Super Swampers in 15-42-15 size. This equates to 385/85/15 in metric terms. In layman's terms, that means a width of 15 inches, height of 42 inches, and a rim size of 15 inches. Pretty formidable!

The 13.00R20 size equates to 365/85/20 in metric terms. In simple explanation, that means a width of 14.4 inches (a little thinner), a height of 44.4 inches (much taller), and a rim size of 20 inches (much larger). We placed the tires next to the beast, and I have to say...they look awesome.

Theoretically speaking, this should 'lift' the rig by about another inch or so, and make the tires sit a little closer to the wheel arches and fender flares. Of course, the downside to this is that a set of 20 inch wheels would have to be purchased, too. I'm tempted to follow through with this. Just for the sake of bringing the truck into that category of rigs which rides the largest tire size currently available. 44s are the largest 'regular' size of tires currently making the rounds. Even were I to NOT fit these tires yet, I think it'd make a useful purchase, until such time as I run the Super Swampers into a state of lifelessness. Purchasing items when you don't immediately need them, is better than doing so in a rush, when you're pressed for time to keep the rig on road.

Let's see how this 'New Year's present' for the Phantom unfolds.

Down right Vulgar!!! , look forward to seeing the new wheels. Will look you up and the MR2 when i'm in pindi next.
    More Power!!! More power....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One Recent Outing

This comprised of no hardcore stuff...again.

But it did consist of a real good going-over comprising some marvelous cleaning products and hard work. After getting its interior, this was the Phantom's visit to Carbographics, which is an establishment in Rawalpindi run by two entrepeneurs Atif and Saad. These fine gentlemen have opened up a splendid car care and detailing centre in Pindi (just next to Gate No 3 of Gulrez Housing Scheme). But, they don't just work on car detailing. Instead, they offer a complete range of hydrographic 3D printing (on ANY surface), sandblasting, and paint/texture adjustments; which is something that was sorely needed in the twin cities.

I suggest that everyone who's redoing a car interior, or needs car parts sandblasted, or just wants to give their ride a beautiful going-over visit their page on Facebook (by the name of Carbographics) and book a visit to these gents.

For now, pictures...courtesy Atif and Saad of Carbographics. Thank you, guys.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 1 zps374e1bde

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2 zpsb57f9705

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 zpse1a2b20e

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 4 zps17b4b012

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 5 zps80b858a1

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 7 zps96319c67

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 zps6aa7ccbc

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 11 zps3f22a526

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 12 zpsd8be7249

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Wow she looks gorgeous! I mean HE looks gorgeous, this vehicle cannot be referred to as "she".
    And where did you get that gorgeously well finished Phantom badge on the grill made from?
    "A car is just a car unless it's my car" - Faraz Arif

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    16 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ fouadhafeez

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1379827

Old Event or Fresh ?

A Mud Bath For Phantom

That's Something Nice To See ... Any videos ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Awesome Sir MashALLAH

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by farazarif View Post
    Wow she looks gorgeous! I mean HE looks gorgeous, this vehicle cannot be referred to as "she".
    And where did you get that gorgeously well finished Phantom badge on the grill made from?
    Glad you like the photos, Faraz. I took special care to get some on the finished interior, for you. As for the marque, it's a 3D print/cutout that I got made from Baoo Mohallah in Pindi. One for the front grille, and one each for both of the rear quarter panels.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheryar View Post
    @ fouadhafeez

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -1379827

Old Event or Fresh ?

A Mud Bath For Phantom

That's Something Nice To See ... Any videos ?
    Hi, Shery. It's from an old event, brother. But yes...I think I do have a video (which was taken by Suhaib Kiani) lying around somewhere. I'll be sure to post it, soon.

Quote Originally Posted by N1J1M View Post
    Awesome Sir MashALLAH
    Jazakallah, bro. (Y)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

<div id="fb-root"></div> <script>(function(d, s, id) { var js, fjs = d.getElementsByTagName(s)[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) return; js = d.createElement(s); js.id = id; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js#xfbml=1"; fjs.parentNode.insertBefore(js, fjs); }(document, 'script', 'facebook-jssdk'));</script>
    <div class="fb-post" data-href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=181576285313364" data-width="466"><div class="fb-xfbml-parse-ignore"><a href="https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=181576285313364">Post</a> by <a href="https://www.facebook.com/fouad.hafeez">Fouad Hafeez</a>.</div></div>

+ Reply to Thread
Page 72 of 73 FirstFirst ... 226270717273 LastLast

User Tag List