0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default The Phantom Of City Sadar Road

When I first started this thread, I had just taken delivery of a stock, recently-auctioned 1984 TLC FJ40.

Gaari to khareed lee, lekin I had little/no idea of what I was going to end up doing to the vehicle. For a very long time, I planned to give it a "decent" sort of makeover: something involving some nice tyres, a respectable paint-job, comfortable seats, a roll cage, and that's about it. At that time, little did I know what was in store for me...

Somewhere along the line, this project developed a life of its own. Baaton baaton mein, it metamorphosed from being a quick, run-of-the-mill restoration into something quite ambitious and challenging. Something that was in-your-face, and in-your-guts. Something, the likes of which we had seen chronicled in the pages of Off Roader magazines...but something which we'd never really attempted back home.

This rebuild is STILL ongoing. It's far from over, just yet. But along the way, it's indeed become something which seems to have a life of its own. Ironically, this as-yet-unfinished vehicle has developed a...character.

While it may not be the most ego-stroking fact...a lot of people know "The Phantom...jiss ka maalik woh Fouad Hafeez hai"...rather than knowing "Fouad Hafeez...jiss ke paas woh Phantom hai"

Also, along the way, this vehicle has been instrumental in my making a huge number of friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers alike. Without a doubt, all of these people are gentlemen; sporting enthusiasts, and engine afficianados, and automotive hobbyists...with whom, a common love for the sport, has brought us to common ground. Their support, good wishes, advice, expert opinions, constructive criticism, and attention to detail, has made this hunk of steel slowly emerge into its current shape. I have no doubt that the end product will be a fusion of the ideas and aspirations of all of these friends, acquaintances, and well-wishers. To all of you; my deepest gratitude. It has been (and will be) one helluva ride, so far!

For now, though, this thread (having picked up over 700 replies) is going to undergo some TLC of its own. A chronicle (in pictures) of all the water that's flown under the bridge, thus far, as we progress towards the desired end state (shown in the last picture of this post). Let the photos begin!

And...I think it's about time for some of the photos to change here, too.

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - RollingChassis035 zps67b9d7d2
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Exploration026 zps20dca66c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - OwnFrameOnChassis002 zps86716bb0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorI010 zpse8e4302f
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - Phantom4DoorIII004 zpse055a2d0
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 3 3 12001 zps9289e65c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 10 3 12010 zpsdaaace95
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 24 03 12006 zpsab6f3b06
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00080 zps6c2ea17e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - PhantomGolay001 zps8f934202
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00021 zps79bf4c3a
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00126 zpsc1ca419e
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - DSC00153 zpsf2360921
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 13172155 zps7be6141c
    The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - 2012 08 19164453 zps145bd85a

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by tareen View Post
    @fouadhafeez....First of all, its important (more important than finding the best engine itself), to put some shock-absorbers on the vehicle in your avatar! The guy will turn into a jelly by the time FJ40 goes under the knife!
    Ha ha ha ha!

From the beating he's receiving, the guy in the avatar needs a new machine, not new shocks!
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I look forward to learn & enjoy a lot from your vision & research that you have put together along with great input from the maestros & gurus.
    I cannot tell you the amount of learning it is for ME, brother. The overwhelming utility of a thread like this, is that by the end of the day, it should serve as a complete "amrit dhaara" for anyone who might want to undertake such a project. The fun, the gup shup, the flights of imagination, and the forging of friendships by all who read it / participate in it, are also, undeniably important.

For me, the creative process is everything. At the end of the day, whether or not you drive something massively expensive, or efficient, or practical, or flashy, is immaterial, I think. What matters is for your creativity and imagination and artistic thinking to find a positive outlet.

In all truth, this thread is a manifestation of that. The contributors, the experts, the gurus, the maestros, the readers that offer good wishes, and even the ones that are silent spectators, make it a wholesome, useful online "manual".

As the purchases, the experiments, and trials and errors progress, so too, shall the "value" of this thread grow for me. And I bet the Phantom is likely to benefit from it, too!

To not just you, but to the friends, well-wishers and contributors...my profound gratitude and thanks.

And now that we're done with dispensing thanks, gratitude and mutual praise...what comes next?! LOL

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

From my discussions with my Ustaadji, I've been recommended to get the differentials first and foremost. Kissi chauri gari ke (e.g., TLC 60/80/100/200 series). These diffs, along with the tyres will be fitted to the frame, along with the design for the vehicle's body.

Right now, I have my sights on a 100 series pair of diffs, with electronic lockers. I should also be getting quotes on a series 60 pair of diffs, and a series 80 pair. I'll decide on which one, over this weekend, Insha Allah.

As for the body shape, I like the look of the brown and blue FJs in the pictures below (my Guru Ji, Aamir Bhai is in love with brown one). I also love the body shape of the series 45 daala in green. The decision will have to be made over this weekend. In any eventuality, the FJ will have neither front bumpers nor rear ones, so as to eliminate any possibility whatsoever of rubbing against the oversized wheels.

Over this weekend, I will also be getting the set of Nitto rims and tyres (295/75/16) that are going to act as the mainstay set of wheels.

I should be taking all this bhang bhosra to the Ustaadji, and my denter on Sunday, probably.

Will share photographs!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -330765 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -330766 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -330767

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default PHANTOM in Momentum

@fouadhafeez...Sir, post # 142 is the 'spirit'. Just perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    And now that we're done with dispensing thanks, gratitude and mutual praise...what comes next?! LOL
    The plan is going very right from vehicle > tires > diffs > body work > engine > metal work etc.

Just a few things that I was thinking about while reading the recent post about 100 series diffs., I'm sure you must have gone about & around it already, just for my curiosity & interest I felt mentioning it:

100 series diffs come with 5 nuts whereas wheels with the 42s have 6 holes. Secondly, as LC 78 & 100 share the same diffs that are for 16" wheels with +ve offset, our wheels being 15" probably need measurements compared prior to purchase to clear the brake calipers. Spacers are always there to help but would be good if things work out without them.

While SOA is inevitable, moving rear diff. back by a few inches will be good technically & aesthetically.

I have a feeling that if this vehicle is made to perform at its best with 42s, then after all the necessary modifications, it will look odd with 33" tires. To make it look acceptable with 33s, it needs to be set-up like the blue one above with lots of compromises on articulation & maneuvering. Though a 42" swamper based vehicle has to look in the specs of the following with raised front fender & shaved rear wheel well (though I didn't like the rounded rear wheel arch and its running stock 40 series diffs.).

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road - FJ40inpaddock

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother SuhaibKiani will be able to describe it better, but just in case, if the VIN plate says
    K052 - its a 3.7 &
    K084 - its a 4.11

In my case, with 3.7 ratio & 37" tires, as per charts & calculators, my machine is running at the very best of its economy & acceleration but would suffer when need to crawl. At the moment, I'm least bothered about crawling as the nearest rock from my place is about 6 hours drive :-)

4.88 would be an ideal for my vehicle (again, as per charts) and close to stock power specs.
    regards
    @Tareen: Thanks for the details on the VIN plate. I was not aware that you could check diff ratios like that. Most of the Army FJ40s invariably run 3.7s though.

On your setup, maximum economy yes, but maximum acceleration not necessarily so. In all likelihood it would be better with a higher/shorter ratio in your setup. From what I understand, given all other things are equal, higher/shorter ratios are more powerful and generally result in better acceleration even though you are shifting out of gears faster. In the real world, all other things however are usually not equal and either owing to the different characteristics of diffs with higher ratios or the match up with engine/gear, beyond a certain point acceleration on flat tarmac suffers with increase in ratio, though dirt, inclines and sand are different ballgames.....

In general however, I find it more useful to think of higher ratios as being faster given that Supras run something like 3.9s on short tires, Mitsubishi Evos are 4.65s/4.88s and @nn once demonstrated to me that his auto TLC 100 was equally faster in 4L shifting four gears to 100kmph as in 2H where it only had to shift through two!

Nevertheless, the general perception and experience amongst local Ustad's remains that eg. a 3.7 ratio stock BJ would be faster on flat tarmac, but would get whipped going up to Muree by a 4.11 ratio BJ. However I feel that while this particular example is very relevant for a B series engine and may not be very useful as a rule of thumb as the same 3.7 BJ would probably rip a 2.8 BJ all across the field....

Back to the thread now And please, no talk of 100 series axles again here as in addition to what @Tareen pointed out on the lugs, the front is IFS for probably 95% of 100s in the world and goodluck finding a decent solid front off the remaining 5% Australian 100s.
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok. Serious re-think time.

Just got to Pindi, and had the opportunity to visually test the 42s against the 275/70/17 wheels (a little over 32s) on my FZJ79. It's almost certain that the 42s and the 33s I was planning to mount alternatingly, are likely to NOT get along together. They're simply two different types of beasts.

If the 42s are the way to go, they'll have to be standalone tyres for the rebuild. This is going to entail quite a bit of thought about the body design, too. The wheels won't fit into the arches and are going to require definite shearing away of the sheet metal, to allow for proper space and articulation. Offhand, I'd say a lift in the region of at least 10-12 inches is likely to be required. From the looks of things, Tareen saab's viewpoint of a rear axle shift further back also seems to be on the cards. It seems these wheels are destined for a rock-crawler / mud-wader of sorts. Which is going to be a shame, since the Phantom has a beautiful body of its own...one that should NOT have to go under the knife. Much.

Ran across these photos of an FJ buggy project while pondering over all of this...

As consolation of sorts...I always did like the series 45 shape...LOL

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -331004 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -331005

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

an FJ Phantom buggy? Who knows...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another (perhaps silly) question...

The Unimog 404 runs tyres that are probably in the 42-44 inch range. Could one use the modified diffs and axles of the Mog for the FJ?

If yes...what engine options?

What gearbox options?

Or is this a path not worth straying down?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How beautiful is this?

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -331042The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -331043

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    In all likelihood it would be better with a higher/shorter ratio in your setup.
    I have this feeling as well that eventually I have to replace the rings & pinions to optimize its performance. As of now, while it will be still shuttling around the workshops (though it did not happen for the last three months ) existing gears are just perfect for this use and may be a trip to the desert where momentum works to our benefit.

And thanx for the detailed explanation. Its always a pleasure to read your posts, therefore I do it more than once, often.

regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Latest Shot of The Wheels (And Irfan!)

Irfan looks mightily pleased with his handiwork.

The rims aren't looking too bad, either!

The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -331044 The Phantom Of City Sadar Road -331045

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ok. Serious re-think time.

Just got to Pindi, and had the opportunity to visually test the 42s against the 275/70/17 wheels (a little over 32s) on my FZJ79. It's almost certain that the 42s and the 33s I was planning to mount alternatingly, are likely to NOT get along together. They're simply two different types of beasts.

If the 42s are the way to go, they'll have to be standalone tyres for the rebuild. This is going to entail quite a bit of thought about the body design, too. The wheels won't fit into the arches and are going to require definite shearing away of the sheet metal, to allow for proper space and articulation. Offhand, I'd say a lift in the region of at least 10-12 inches is likely to be required. From the looks of things, Tareen saab's viewpoint of a rear axle shift further back also seems to be on the cards. It seems these wheels are destined for a rock-crawler / mud-wader of sorts. Which is going to be a shame, since the Phantom has a beautiful body of its own...one that should NOT have to go under the knife. Much.

Ran across these photos of an FJ buggy project while pondering over all of this...

As consolation of sorts...I always did like the series 45 shape...LOL[/IMG]
    We see some clear guidelines shaping up. While we are at it, what about comparing the application of 4 link coil sprung suspension with SOA!

And as you have mentioned, Interco / Irok Swampers were good as mud waders & floaters with some huge biting tread till Boggers came into production and took over the scene until few years back. Super Swampers were used in rock crawling with not so good results due to its bulging side walls & lots of flat-slippery surfaces compared to later types used with tall-flater sidewalls and softer angular treads.

As for the cutting of original body goes, rear fender trimming upto the mudguard is ok and will hardly be noticeable if done nicely (I'm sure it will be). Front fender/mudguard can be raised removing the side sills or panels just above the fenders. That also keeps the iconic shape in place yet provides lots of clearance to the tires.

For the differentials, a possible option would be 60 or 80 series diffs with all discs & locks.

I'm sure people who are in touch with the market will be more of help with what is & can be done. Just my two cents, as they say.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

As of now, while it will be still shuttling around the workshops (though it did not happen for the last three months )...
    Take some consolation from the off-roaders mantra that I read somewhere, Tareen Saab...

"Build, run, break, fix, repeat"

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Another (perhaps silly) question...

The Unimog 404 runs tyres that are probably in the 42-44 inch range. Could one use the modified diffs and axles of the Mog for the FJ?

If yes...what engine options?

What gearbox options?

Or is this a path not worth straying down?
    I would say, in short, properly built FJ40 with 42" tires, lockable diffs. from 60 series with optimum ratios, a 4lit+ engine (gas/diesel), approach/depart/break-over angles taken care of will outdo what most of us can daring to.

On the other note, experimentation & imagination has no limits.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Take some consolation from the off-roaders mantra that I read somewhere, Tareen Saab...

"Build, run, break, fix, repeat"
    Lolz...Its same as the hunting community says... hunt - eat - sleep - repeat.

In fact, I have to finish lots of pending things on my machine & not been able to gather enough courage to go & sit there for a few more days again.

The energy & inspiration that I'm gathering from your built is pushing me to do it ASAP as I don't want 'another project, that started after me, to finish before me'

BTW, For future reference, what is the off-set of your wheels?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@tareen: This is a terminology I'm unaware of (I had to google it!). The rims are 10 inch hollow (from outer edge of rim to the plate where the nuts are affixed to the drums. Their total width is 15 inches, which means that the centre line of the rim is 7.5 inches.

So...2.5 inch negative offset?

As an aside, I had a set of 2 inch, 6 lug spacers that had been lying around for ages. Mumkin hai eik kharcha to bacha...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fouad bhai if you are in Pindi and free sometime, I can meet you and show you my FJ. Its a 1981 FJ-40 and I'm using a 1 KZ in it.
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Achhi Ghar-Daari Ke Chand Usool

Like a good husband, I'm going shopping for ghar gharisti ke saudey salaf on the chutti wallah din.

Today's shopping list includes:-

1) Doodh.
    2) Andey.
    3) Double Roti.
    4) Series 60/80 TLC front and rear differentials, with all-round disc brakes and electronic lockers (which, of course, my better half knows NOTHING about).

Wish me luck, everyone!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Cateyez View Post
    Fouad bhai if you are in Pindi and free sometime, I can meet you and show you my FJ. Its a 1981 FJ-40 and I'm using a 1 KZ in it.
    I would LOVE that!

Please feel free to give me a call any time, and tie things up, brother.

My mobile number is 0300-5555544.

Looking forward to seeing you.

Regards...Fouad.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Cateyez: It was wonderful seeing you after such a very long time, brother. It'd been far too long! It was also thoroughly inspirational seeing your Big Mean Green Machine. What a beauty you have there!

Stay in touch, mate.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 73 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

User Tag List