0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Surf 2004, emitting smoke? Advice

Hey guys, I bought Surf 2004 3.0l diesel a couple days ago. It's been driven 93000km's genuine, I took the car to Toyota showroom in islamabad and changed all of the oils, filters relative to the engine. Today I noticed it's emitting quite alot of black smoke under normal acceleration, also during downshifts(it's auto).*

I wanted to ask what may be causing this, I know diesels emit smoke, but my surf is throwing smoke above normal. Do I have to do some kind of tuning, check the injectors or something?

All your responses are highly welcome.

Flickr; http://www.flickr.com/photos/karim_khan/

fzs
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Black smoke is a sign of unburned fuel basically...get injectors checked by a professional as the 1KD-FTV engine is very prone to injector problems...maybe your injectors could be cleaned/purged...sometimes 1 or 2 faulty injectors might need to be replaced, although these are pretty expensive, about Rs.40,000 for 1 injector if im not mistaken. Another thing, check to see if the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) in the exhaust pipe is still intact...it may be damaged/clogged or completely removed altogether. This DPF is primarily what makes the 1KD a "smokeless" engine ie it removes the black carbon/soot from the exhaust stream.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

unburned fuel in a diesel is white smoke - black smoke is too much fuel burnt in low quantities of air. Get the valve clearances checked and make sure the entire airpath is clean.

For the 1KD injectors get the toyota chaps to check the rail pressure and do a injector cycle test from their toyota tester. And if your DPF is missing - which is really bad - your engine will belch a little black smoke as the ECU tries to self clean the missing DPF.

The 1KD ECU has a DPF purge mode - it makes the engine fuel a little more to generate more heat and eventually light off the DPF to self clean mode. The trapped particles in a DPF are ignited by the intense heat coming from the engine and blown out the tail pipe.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

fzs
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^^Much better explanation than mine. Follow his advice OP you can tell that Xulfiqar knows his subject 100%

fzs
    PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Xulfiqar:
    1. Can you explain the actual role of a DPF in a 1KD-FTV
    2. What makes a D4D smokeless or smokefree, is it the DPF?
    3. Can a DPF become clogged/fouled to the point where it increases exhaust backpressure (restricts exhaust air flow) thus reducing engine power output?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Guys thank you very much for your replies, inshallah will check the stuff out when I come to islaMabad in a few days.

Thank you

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3987 Post(s)
    Tagged
    93 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fzs View Post
    @Xulfiqar:
    1. Can you explain the actual role of a DPF in a 1KD-FTV
    2. What makes a D4D smokeless or smokefree, is it the DPF?
    3. Can a DPF become clogged/fouled to the point where it increases exhaust backpressure (restricts exhaust air flow) thus reducing engine power output?
    The role of the DPF is to trap the carbon soot the engine throws out on the combustion cycle and also to clean out the diesel exhaust smell. Thats what makes this engine "smoke free" - my mercedes E300D here also has it - and it did get choked to the point of the engine run failure - meaning it refused to start unless the exhaust was unbolted from the head.

The DPF traps carbon soot and deposits it on its ceramic honeycomb, and can only be burned off by heating it up, This is accomplished by the engine pushing a little more fuel into the engine to generate excess heat which sets off the fiery heat and the DPF cleans itself. To do this get on to a highway in a lower gear to speed up the engine and bury the pedal to clean out the DPF. It will clean itself out. - Infact your dashboard would have a symbol or gauge to show you its breathing capacity.

My mercedes' DPF (cat) got blocked because the previous owner never accelerated beyond 2800 rpm and the EGR was kind of sticky too. And this engine is the simplest - meaning no ECU, no electronic wizardry, even the pump is shut off by vacuum. The remedy for this car is to run it to redline (5500 rpm) every two weeks on the highway over a hill for the DPF to clean out itself.

I could get rid of it as TX has no emmissions laws for diesels but I didnt as I did not want my car to sound like a Honda civic with a cheap farting muffler.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hey guys, I went to the workshop today. They hooked up the computer to the jeep and the problem was in the EGR according to the computer. They said it cant be cleaned and will have to be replaced.

What do you guys think should I replace it or give it a try at cleaning?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    unburned fuel in a diesel is white smoke - black smoke is too much fuel burnt in low quantities of air. Get the valve clearances checked and make sure the entire airpath is clean.

For the 1KD injectors get the toyota chaps to check the rail pressure and do a injector cycle test from their toyota tester. And if your DPF is missing - which is really bad - your engine will belch a little black smoke as the ECU tries to self clean the missing DPF.

The 1KD ECU has a DPF purge mode - it makes the engine fuel a little more to generate more heat and eventually light off the DPF to self clean mode. The trapped particles in a DPF are ignited by the intense heat coming from the engine and blown out the tail pipe.
    Hi Xulfiqar - I know its a very old post - but wanted to ask if a replacment DPF for the 1KZ engine is readily available in Khi. Where can one find it or order it! Seeking your guidance....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    The role of the DPF is to trap the carbon soot the engine throws out on the combustion cycle and also to clean out the diesel exhaust smell. Thats what makes this engine "smoke free" - my mercedes E300D here also has it - and it did get choked to the point of the engine run failure - meaning it refused to start unless the exhaust was unbolted from the head.

The DPF traps carbon soot and deposits it on its ceramic honeycomb, and can only be burned off by heating it up, This is accomplished by the engine pushing a little more fuel into the engine to generate excess heat which sets off the fiery heat and the DPF cleans itself. To do this get on to a highway in a lower gear to speed up the engine and bury the pedal to clean out the DPF. It will clean itself out. - Infact your dashboard would have a symbol or gauge to show you its breathing capacity.

My mercedes' DPF (cat) got blocked because the previous owner never accelerated beyond 2800 rpm and the EGR was kind of sticky too. And this engine is the simplest - meaning no ECU, no electronic wizardry, even the pump is shut off by vacuum. The remedy for this car is to run it to redline (5500 rpm) every two weeks on the highway over a hill for the DPF to clean out itself.

I could get rid of it as TX has no emmissions laws for diesels but I didnt as I did not want my car to sound like a Honda civic with a cheap farting muffler.
    Cool! The general remedy in Pakistan is to remove or block anything that causes trouble. I guess this system has been in trucks for many years as well. I even saw it in some garbage trucks here in Lahore.
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Lakhum View Post
    Hey guys, I went to the workshop today. They hooked up the computer to the jeep and the problem was in the EGR according to the computer. They said it cant be cleaned and will have to be replaced.

What do you guys think should I replace it or give it a try at cleaning?
    The computer must have given them a fault code which does not tell you exactly what is wrong. It might be a faulty sensor or valve in the EGR. DO NOT replace the whole EGR without making sure.
    Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List