4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Snorkel Vs. Fuel Economy

Since a long time i have noticed Increased & Decrease in fuel economy when fitting the right snorkels matched with the right engine & air intake system.

Some engines love snorkels and give u MORE fuel efficiency!!!
    But some engines hate snorkels and give u BAD efficieny!!

How many of you have fitted snorkels and noticed the change in SUV's specially Diesel ?

Vehicle History: Pajero 1 & 2 (4d55 Non-Turbo - 4d56 Turbo & 4M40 I-C Turbo) / Land Cruiser BJ60(13B-T Turbo) / Nissan Patrol GQ(Td422 Non-Turbo)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

"Does your engine idle at 6000 rpm?". No. Of course not. I guess you were trying to be facetious when you asked that question, since I don't know of any engines in Pakistan that DO idle at 6000 rpm.

I'm glad you highlighted my post. Thank you. Although, you should've highlighted the line preceding that one, too. No wait...let me do it. "The intake of an engine is through its air cleaner (like your mouth). In most vehicles, this air-cleaner is located within the engine of the vehicle. This intake is FIXED in size. Unlike your mouth, which can open or close, according to the requirement, this inlet will NOT."

Again, I do not know of an air cleaner intake that opens or shuts at 6000 rpm. Or at any rpm, for that matter. Perhaps you meant the internal engine arrangements for adjustment of the air-fuel mixture. I don't know. Maybe.

In any case, though, I'll let your youthful enthusiasm win, syncview. Let's not clutter up this thread with useless point-scoring, and one-up-manship.

Last word @fuma: brother...don't be deterred from your plans of having or not having a snorkel on your vehicle. After weighing the options, and sifting through all the technical gibberish, go ahead and do what you think right. I guess that very mantra applies to all modifications that our vehicles will undertake to make them the unique beasts that they are!

Cheers.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    ... go ahead and do what you think right...
    The best advice to give on forums.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Check this out guyz: Safari Snorkel - Performance Benefit or Not
    ROFL!!!!!
    These master DRIVERS Old professional/advance members/forum moderators say that SNORKELS do " no performance improvement " & only do " protection against water & dust "

& also the guys here fooling around with knowledge:
    http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forum...antages-8.html
    a guy here says " fitting a snorkel would only make you EASY to find ur car in a parkin' lot " ROFL!!!!!!
    Vehicle History: Pajero 1 & 2 (4d55 Non-Turbo - 4d56 Turbo & 4M40 I-C Turbo) / Land Cruiser BJ60(13B-T Turbo) / Nissan Patrol GQ(Td422 Non-Turbo)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

HELMHOLTZ RESONANCE THEORY:

When air is forced into a cavity, the pressure inside increases.
    When the external force pushing the air into the cavity is removed, the higher-pressure air inside will flow out.
    The cavity will be left at a pressure slightly lower than the outside, causing air to be drawn back in.
    This process repeats with the magnitude of the pressure changes decreasing each time.

The air in the port (the neck of the chamber) has mass.
    As long as it is in motion, it possesses some momentum, hence a longer port would make for a larger mass, and vice-versa.
    The diameter of the port is related to the mass of air and the volume of the chamber.
    A port that is too small in area for the chamber volume will "choke" the flow while one that is too large in area for the chamber volume tends to reduce the momentum of the air in the port.
    Snorkel Vs Fuel Economy -1016743

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

There is a possibility that if the snorkel is hurting fuel economy in vehicles that have more sophisticated electronic shizzle like wide band oxygen sensor (post 2005) then its probably because the ECU chip makes the air : fuel mixture even richer when the oxygen sensor detects more oxygen and snitches on you. The latest chips are coded to keep the air : fuel mixture as rich as possible because the car manufacturers have to comply international standards which instruct this. Same loss of mileage will occur due to increased oxygen if you use the water-electrolysis / HHO kit in such vehicles without first using a bypass circuit that fools the oxygen sensor.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List