1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families

I occassionally travel with my family sometimes in off roading and found the following most useful ....

1. Thuraya phone ideally buy this model as it works both on gsm and satellite mode.Just place your local SIM with IR and it works. I use it with mobilink

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - product thumbsg?1265783441

2. This Tentkot is amazing. This is great for avoiding insects snakes etc.

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - doubletentcot

There is another model which is great for families on www.autohomeus.com/rooftop

3. Portable toilet and a pop-up dressing room for toilet privacy for family specially if ladies are travelling in groups.

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - large toilet

<INPUT style="BORDER-RIGHT-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-BOTTOM-WIDTH: 0px; BORDER-LEFT-WIDTH: 0px" id=ctl00_cphMain_ctl00_imgItem title="7.58Ft High Portable Instant Pop-Up Changing and Dressing Room, Lightweight and Collapsible" name=ctl00$cphMain$ctl00$imgItem src="http://www.califpalms.com/prod_img/CA-OTH-PCR-91_1268337641.jpg" type=image>

4. Car fridge freezer which makes ice specially good in summers.

5. For off roading gps its best to download google earth on tablet pc and load those terrain and make its route and then use it while offline on your pc, ideally get any sun readable windows 7 tablet pc slate and get any blue tooth gps receiver which u can keep on your dash and then mount the tablet PC on this ram mount and this holder install also install goops pro on your tablet pc so your blutooth gps can show the location on tablet pc through google earth, this will enable you to even see 3D. Make sure you load and see those routed maps on 25000 feet, 20000 feet, 15000 feet, 10000 feet and 5000 feet. You will be able to explore amazing things from there.

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - keyhole3

6. Gas stove of this type and its available at the aghas or hypermart and ideally buy this flexipot , these are ideal for cooking.

7. This portable heater is excellent for colder climates
    Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - MH9B

8. Also try to buy this camp table and portable small chair

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - pixelCool must have gadgets when off roading with families - PhotoDraw7281Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - PhotoDraw7283Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - PhotoDraw7284
    Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - pixel
    Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - pixelCool must have gadgets when off roading with families - pixel

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice and very expensive info '
    "FRONTIER FOUR BY FOUR"
    Life begins, where road ends..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So expensive
    >>>>>>Toyota Corolla GLI Ecotec- A power Machine<<<<<<

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

More water, food and first aid kit! Very important, stay safe
    Safety 1st!
    Always Must!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by naveedmerchant View Post
    I occassionally travel with my family sometimes in off roading and found the following most useful ....

1. Thuraya phone ideally buy this model as it works both on gsm and satellite mode.Just place your local SIM with IR and it works. I use it with mobilink

2. Tentkot http://www.tentcot.com/indexa.html . This is great for avoiding insects snakes etc. There is another model which is great for families on www.autohomeus.com/rooftop

3. Portable toilet and a pop-up dressing room for toilet privacy for family specially if ladies are travelling in groups.

4. Car fridge freezer which makes ice specially good in summers.

5. For off roading gps its best to download google earth on tablet pc and load those terrain and make its route and then use it while offline on your pc, ideally get any sun readable windows 7 tablet pc slate and get any blue tooth gps receiver which u can keep on your dash and then mount the tablet PC on this ram mount and this holder install also install goops pro on your tablet pc so your blutooth gps can show the location on tablet pc through google earth, this will enable you to even see 3D. Make sure you load and see those routed maps on 25000 feet, 20000 feet, 15000 feet, 10000 feet and 5000 feet. You will be able to explore amazing things from there.

6. Gas stove of this type and its available at the aghas or hypermart and ideally buy this flexipot , these are ideal for cooking.

7. This portable heater is excellent for colder climates

8. Also try to buy this camp table and portable small chair

With above I think you will be fully equipped..wrong .

how about a high power flash light (torch) & a tow line ??
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Its also not necessary to buy from those links as it gives a concept idea as there are probably better cheaper options if researched from internet and even cheaper options on amazon and ebay, some of these may be even used or refurbished...which is what i did for tablet PC.... but man when i used it while off roading as no maps exists
    i could actually see terrain in 3D, but later realised my PC batteries went dead so car PC power adapters are important.

Basics are very important as stated above in replies, but this post was intended more towards providing infos on gadgets and gizmos items as options once you have covered the basic ground.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very informative post. Thank you.

In Pakistan, there are some terrific places where you can lay your hands on all sorts of survival / camping / trekking gear (which, I suppose, can come in handy for those embarking upon long distance offroad trips). Whilst not quite the exact same thing as your post highlighted in various links, a visit to Sitara Market in Peshawar and/or Double Road in Quetta, reveals a smorgasbord of wonderful stuff; ranging from pocket knives to tents to field blankets to cots to camp cutlery and crockery.

Just my (not even) two cents addition to a great post.

Cheers.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice info , loved the windows based tablet Thanks

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    54 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice info

Sent through Tapatalk
    Please take care of your near and dear ones. Drive safely.
    https://www.facebook.com/naumansheikhpictography

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by laparwah View Post
    Nice info , loved the windows based tablet Thanks
    Another idea (which I'm currently using in my FZJ79) is to attach an iPad to your deck. Most decks nowadays come with USB support...so you can use the USB port of the deck to provide constant charge to the iPad battery. Connecting your iPad to the audio-video input of your deck, also enables you to use the iPad as a music / video device. Another handy piece of equipment (which you can also keep charged, if your deck has TWO USB ports) is a WiFi device (personally, I use the PTCL EVO Cloud, which enables 5 devices to be connected simultaneously). Once you have this WiFi device in your car, you should be able to do all sorts of interesting stuff...like live streams from Google Earth / Motion-X (for navigation), receiving and sending e-mail on the go, measurement of tilt and rake angles of the vehicle, actual GPS calculated velocity (rather than speedo measurements), live video streams from YouTube etcetera. In short...all of those things which the iPad is capable (which are an awful lot of things!). The setup which I have, incorporates a simple, cheap iPad leather cover, attached (with Velcro) to a home-made wooden cradle, which mounts on the FZJ dashboard, in place of the inclinometer / outdoor temperature gauge. When in use, simply slide the iPad into the case, and bung the WiFi device into the glove compartment. When you're parking...slide out the iPad and WiFi device, and take them with you. Bachon ko un ke saath ghar pe khelne ka moqa fraham karein! Aap bhi khush, Begum bache bhi raazi!

I'm told a good condition (used) 16 GB iPad costs something in the range of Rs 25,000/- or so. Believe me...it's money well spent. And if you have multiple rides, a similar arrangement in each of those rides will enable the iPad / WiFi setup to be used in whichever vehicle you're driving at the moment...which eases out the average initial expenditure per vehicle, even more. Alternatively, if you're an iPhone / iPod touch user, a similar (but much smaller arrangement) works wonders on a budget...providing all the marvelous apps of the iPad, at a slightly smaller viewing size. To slash the budget even more, one can always dispense with broadband WiFi and use the existing GPRS / EDGE connection of your phone's data plan for light browsing, etcetera. Of course, heavy data flows (for sat-nav, video streaming, etc) won't be really good unless you have a WiFi device in your car.

I am a great believer that our rides are almost an extension of our respective personalities. At the end of the day, thus, do whatever suits you and your pocket, and have great fun WHILE doing it!

(In this picture the red and black leather case in the almost-centre of the picture is the iPad cradle and casing)

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families -372741
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fouadhafeez View Post
    Another idea (which I'm currently using in my FZJ79) is to attach an iPad to your deck. Most decks nowadays come with USB support...so you can use the USB port of the deck to provide constant charge to the iPad battery. Connecting your iPad to the audio-video input of your deck, also enables you to use the iPad as a music / video device. Another handy piece of equipment (which you can also keep charged, if your deck has TWO USB ports) is a WiFi device (personally, I use the PTCL EVO Cloud, which enables 5 devices to be connected simultaneously). Once you have this WiFi device in your car, you should be able to do all sorts of interesting stuff...like live streams from Google Earth / Motion-X (for navigation), receiving and sending e-mail on the go, measurement of tilt and rake angles of the vehicle, actual GPS calculated velocity (rather than speedo measurements), live video streams from YouTube etcetera. In short...all of those things which the iPad is capable (which are an awful lot of things!). The setup which I have, incorporates a simple, cheap iPad leather cover, attached (with Velcro) to a home-made wooden cradle, which mounts on the FZJ dashboard, in place of the inclinometer / outdoor temperature gauge. When in use, simply slide the iPad into the case, and bung the WiFi device into the glove compartment. When you're parking...slide out the iPad and WiFi device, and take them with you. Bachon ko un ke saath ghar pe khelne ka moqa fraham karein! Aap bhi khush, Begum bache bhi raazi!

I'm told a good condition (used) 16 GB iPad costs something in the range of Rs 25,000/- or so. Believe me...it's money well spent. And if you have multiple rides, a similar arrangement in each of those rides will enable the iPad / WiFi setup to be used in whichever vehicle you're driving at the moment...which eases out the average initial expenditure per vehicle, even more. Alternatively, if you're an iPhone / iPod touch user, a similar (but much smaller arrangement) works wonders on a budget...providing all the marvelous apps of the iPad, at a slightly smaller viewing size. To slash the budget even more, one can always dispense with broadband WiFi and use the existing GPRS / EDGE connection of your phone's data plan for light browsing, etcetera. Of course, heavy data flows (for sat-nav, video streaming, etc) won't be really good unless you have a WiFi device in your car.

I am a great believer that our rides are almost an extension of our respective personalities. At the end of the day, thus, do whatever suits you and your pocket, and have great fun WHILE doing it!

(In this picture the red and black leather case in the almost-centre of the picture is the iPad cradle and casing)

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - 372741
    This is awesome.. and its great for locations with online internet connectivity, but once you go to locations with no internet connectivity then IPAD's map wouldnt work as it needs to remain online and probably unable to save in the Goggle Earth's cache for off line usage, which is why windows7 tablet PC is better. There are also number of older fujitsu tablet PC which are sun readable and very cheap. i was informed even androids dont work.but its important not to use inverters as these drain the batteries, the best is to get a direct adapter from 12v direct to laptop.

On another note, there is another interesting gadget for guys which want to spend time holidaying off roading but unable to do this as they need office network connectivity during holidays... Thuraya DSL are great for those guys this way they can plan longer holidays and yet stay connected to office if and when required. I had purchased it and now waiting for the moment to use it, although even Thuraya handset with gprs capability is great for narrow bandwidth connectivity.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very informative....nice thread.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Very informative thread
    @Naveed
    Pl open up ur Goddie Box as a treat for PWssssssssss.
    A brief description will be very handy

Aqeel Baig

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - 372741
    Sir,

Forgive me for being old school here but why the heck would you remove those useful instruments on your dash???? I'd rather put my money on my car readings than install that flashy hardware......technology is good, agreed, but modernization at the cost of spoiling originality.....getting and shooting mails in the middle of a desert or on a mountain top??????, is definitely not my idea of getting away!
    I would recall my best off-road trips/vacations to be the ones with NO cell phone signals! I'd rather stay home if my mails were more important!
    I also realize most wouldn't agree.......but it is always good to be different (and a little eccentric)Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families -372799

These stay put...... the begum/bachas, if too techno, can ride seperately!
    Just love...... those swaying needles, the dancing compass and my trusty ol' CD player!

Cheers!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by MITSU_MAN View Post
    Sir,

Forgive me for being old school here but why the heck would you remove those useful instruments on your dash???? I'd rather put my money on my car readings than install that flashy hardware......technology is good, agreed, but modernization at the cost of spoiling originality.....getting and shooting mails in the middle of a desert or on a mountain top??????, is definitely not my idea of getting away!
    I would recall my best off-road trips/vacations to be the ones with NO cell phone signals! I'd rather stay home if my mails were more important!
    I also realize most wouldn't agree.......but it is always good to be different (and a little eccentric)Cool must have gadgets when off roading with families - 372799

These stay put...... the begum/bachas, if too techno, can ride seperately!
    Just love...... those swaying needles, the dancing compass and my trusty ol' CD player!

Cheers!
    Absolutely right. The outdoors are meant to enjoy the outdoors, and not be able to send/receive emails (and, I think that joke of mine regarding the biwi / bachey was misinterpreted )The maqsad is NOT to encourage users to shoot / receive emails on the fly. But the ability to do so, when the need arises, shouldn't be strictly overlooked either.

I also agree..."each to his / her own". What's good for Peter, may not necessarily be good for Paul.

This type of setup, combines a whole LOT of things, in one. At least all of those things, that I personally use from this device. Perhaps I neglected to enumerate them:-

1. GPS navigation (which, in today's era, is a must, I think, for the serious / intrepid offroader).
    2. GPS aided instrumentation (to measure velocity, acceleration, g-forces, ascent / descent / side-slope negotiation, yadda yadda yadda). Of course, this is in addition to those inputs received from the vehicle's built-in sensors. Do I need to know so much about the environments in which my vehicle is operation? Perhaps not. But the counter-argument is...why not?
    3. All of your music in one place.
    4. All of your videos in one place.
    5. Internet accessibility (a rather helpful tool for referencing field repairs / vehicular troubleshooting / travel guidance tips and the like).
    6. An onboard, dash-mounted camera, to take photos / videos of your journey. Real hot action pics, no less. These can be geo-tagged (with dates and coordinates for posterity / accuracy).
    7. ALL other apps which an iPad / iPhone / iPod uses. These are diverse, and range from conversion calculators, to mosquito-repellent software, to bird / animal hunting calls, to being nothing more than a light-source if required.

So...yeah. Personally, I think I'll continue to mount my iPad on the dashboard, nevertheless.

Like I said earlier...these things are personal preferences, and no doubt, vary from person to person. Personally, while I might not necessarily use ALL of the features that this sort of setup provides me in my offroader...it's reassuring to know that I have all of them, at a finger's swipe, anyways.

Cheers.

Nice picture of the dials on the dashboard, by the way. Contrary to perception, I too use those, more often than I use the iPad in my loader.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very informative thread so nice for sharing.
    Search Rent Karachi on Facebook and Like it Please

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi Aqeel

Its nice to hear from you... Sure i have loads of goodies for everyone . Guess you have seen them in action. The links on that describes everything. It looks we are all set for the star party this weekend?? Lets discuss this seperately

For guys who are new to star parties.. this is what we do star parties explore exotic places during the day mainly off roading with PWs and chill out during the night with star gazing with telescopes https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/roa...r-gazing-libra and https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/roa...-mandir-hingol .. you guys are welcome to join us ...I will start a seperate post on that shortly...this place was discovered by Aqeel Baig few weeks back with support of Hanif Bhatti and resembles like jurrasic park right in the middle of mountains at upto 4000 feet within 3 hours drive from Karachi with spring streams and water fall.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The biggest gadget is toilet paper. Especially when you are in the middle of no where and your pajero engine heats up.
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Absolutely right. The outdoors are meant to enjoy the outdoors, and not be able to send/receive emails (and, I think that joke of mine regarding the biwi / bachey was misinterpreted )The maqsad is NOT to encourage users to shoot / receive emails on the fly. But the ability to do so, when the need arises, shouldn't be strictly overlooked either.

I also agree..."each to his / her own". What's good for Peter, may not necessarily be good for Paul.

This type of setup, combines a whole LOT of things, in one. At least all of those things, that I personally use from this device. Perhaps I neglected to enumerate them:-

1. GPS navigation (which, in today's era, is a must, I think, for the serious / intrepid offroader).
    2. GPS aided instrumentation (to measure velocity, acceleration, g-forces, ascent / descent / side-slope negotiation, yadda yadda yadda). Of course, this is in addition to those inputs received from the vehicle's built-in sensors. Do I need to know so much about the environments in which my vehicle is operation? Perhaps not. But the counter-argument is...why not?
    3. All of your music in one place.
    4. All of your videos in one place.
    5. Internet accessibility (a rather helpful tool for referencing field repairs / vehicular troubleshooting / travel guidance tips and the like).
    6. An onboard, dash-mounted camera, to take photos / videos of your journey. Real hot action pics, no less. These can be geo-tagged (with dates and coordinates for posterity / accuracy).
    7. ALL other apps which an iPad / iPhone / iPod uses. These are diverse, and range from conversion calculators, to mosquito-repellent software, to bird / animal hunting calls, to being nothing more than a light-source if required.

So...yeah. Personally, I think I'll continue to mount my iPad on the dashboard, nevertheless.

Like I said earlier...these things are personal preferences, and no doubt, vary from person to person. Personally, while I might not necessarily use ALL of the features that this sort of setup provides me in my offroader...it's reassuring to know that I have all of them, at a finger's swipe, anyways.

Cheers.

Nice picture of the dials on the dashboard, by the way. Contrary to perception, I too use those, more often than I use the iPad in my loader.
    i agree one should leave work back at home and enjoy blissfull vacationing... Its good to keep options .

I found Google earth on tablet PC is very useful while exploring unknown places where no map exists.

One of our travel companion saved his job in New York while he was vacationing and off roading with us as he got the call on my thuraya.,, its very helpful in worst case scenarios

I sometimes need to stay in touch with my family and business and found Thuraya phone and DSL was very helpful specially whenever i needed to extend vacation or send proposals to clients and used it for few moments

During group travels i found having walkie talkie was very helpful as it keeps team together.

The list can go on....

Its good to stick to basics and doesnt matter if one get the extra added options and benefits

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

the fridge is almost $900 :\