2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default anyone with leaf spring experience

hey, i have a hilux tiger 2004, and it has rear leaf spring suspension - i added a 100 kg rear bumper to it, and the old suspension seemed snagged. I went to a guy who does leaf spring suspension and got old one tightened whereas upon his suggestion added two local shackle bands (pattaa). The car now seems hard to drive, shocks are fully open but when i put the load i desired i.e. snow chains, extra fuel, high lift jack and etc... it became very soft to drive (normal as before) - will it be hard in normal drive without load. Is there any middle way to have it soft with and without load? Because upon load the rear side seems to be lower than front. Also please note i installed brand new KYB rear shocks so shocks not the problem.

Far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster - Goodfellas

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It might have something to do with your shock absorbers

As i know offroad suspension has 3 weight ratings
    Low, medium and heavy.
    On heavy if the car is not loaded it is bouncey but when its loaded its good.

So my guess you got the heavy load springs.

As per me the solution is use suspension with medium load rating. That way it will be okay with load and without load.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

One question: By "shackle bands", you mean pattas which means that two full leafs were added onto each side right!

If that is the case, in general "local" pattas are just no good for luxury SUVs as they are very stiff with uneven spring rates and are meant and made only for desi loaders! Apart from other things replacing the desi pattas with genuine Hilux/Toyota ones should make a subtle but significant difference....

And yes load at the back makes the car softer to ride as it changes the suspension frequency for any given spring rate, making the suspension more limousine/cadillac like (slow up down oscillations on bumps). Taking off the weight will turn it back into a jumpy leaf sprung Hilux (goes up and down very quick and feels bumpy/jumpy) ......
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mere naaqis khayal mein...a 100kg bumper shouldn't really have made a huge difference to the ride of a Hilux.

SK is spot on about desi pattay. They'll make your ride hard, bumpy, and unnecessarily "frisky" when you drive your vehicle unladen. Adding two pattay is pretty radical stuff...and I can understand how your ride has changed.

I had a similar problem with my FZJ pickup. Because of stiff rear leaf-spring suspension it was pretty bumpy, and there was a huge amount of wheelspin each time I'd start to floor the pedal. I added a metal checkered plate (about 75 odd kilos) a couple of seats (25 odd kilos), a spare tire (30 odd kilos), a roll cage (about 150 kilos), and a custom bumper (about 50 odd kilos) to the rear of the pickup. Now, it's perfectly fine. The ride is nice and "settled" and the wheels don't scream each time you take off.

The point given by qwertpoiu is very pertinent, too. If you're not going to lift heavy loads...stick to a more "middle of the path" suspension setup.

Cheers.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yup, being inexperienced in leaf springs I used a local patta, I got it removed yesterday, now suspension is back to genuine. Will look for genuine hilux leaf spring one patta on each side.
    Thanks a lot, regards.
    Far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster - Goodfellas

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List