Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 2l-te/1kz-te

  1. #1
    PakWheeler Follow
    HamzahF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default 2l-te/1kz-te

    Hi all,
    I am looking at two 70 series prados, both short wheel base models, one with a 2L-TE motor and the other with the 1KZ-TE. Both these motors I get are head crackers with the 2L-TE being a more regular sampler of that problem. However, it is my understanding that if the cooling system is kept good and the egts are kept under control, both of them seem to do fine. The main issue however is, that I have no experience with either of these engines and from heresay I get that they are both not particulary economical in terms of fuel costs. I have had 3L/5L powered vehicles now and they were very good with diesel(+/-10km/l). I would be grateful if any of you could share his experience with these motors in terms of low end tractability, top end power and the ensuing fuel bills.
    Regards
    Hamzah Faateh
    Flat six flattening things out!

  2. #2
    PakWheeler Follow
    HamzahF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default ^^

    p.s both the vehicles under consideration come with auto gear boxes.
    Flat six flattening things out!

  3. #3
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    qwertypoiu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Lahore
    Posts
    29,141
    Follows
    2
    Following
    1
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    1
    Best Answers
    1
    Good Answers
    1

    Default

    Why arent you going for 5L-E
    RIP

  4. #4
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    SuhaibKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,899
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    No @HamzahF! Please don't kick up this debate again Everything about the 1KZs and 2LTs from power, mileage and the head f**ks is readily available on this forum and others on the net!

    Once you spend some hours googling going through it all, you'll probably conclude that its down to the condition of the car that would be the essential deciding factor in your case, as both 1KZ and 2L-TE are essentially good relaible engines as long as they are maintained well....

    All the Best!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

  5. #5
    PakWheeler Follow
    HamzahF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    No @HamzahF! Please don't kick up this debate again Everything about the 1KZs and 2LTs from power, mileage and the head f**ks is readily available on this forum and others on the net!

    Once you spend some hours googling going through it all, you'll probably conclude that its down to the condition of the car that would be the essential deciding factor in your case, as both 1KZ and 2L-TE are essentially good relaible engines as long as they are maintained well....

    All the Best!
    In that case, ill change the question. Leaving the engines aside, what would be your say on the drivability of these vehicles, highway and offroad? I hope this gets a more helpful answer than your last one SuhaibKiani. Cheers.
    Flat six flattening things out!

  6. #6
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    SuhaibKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,899
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post
    In that case, ill change the question. Leaving the engines aside, what would be your say on the drivability of these vehicles, highway and offroad? I hope this gets a more helpful answer than your last one SuhaibKiani. Cheers.
    Well didn't mean to be unhelpful, hence wanted to cut things short In terms of driveability they are probably pretty similar engines when you speak of later model 2LTs vs early model 1KZs. The later 2LTs don't typically have the head cracking issue anymore than early 1KZs would or wouldn't. Key driving difference is that the 2LT has a bigger turbo which kicks in higher rpms and has a bit of lag (good on highway, not much for offroading) while the 1KZ smaller turbo kicks in early and quick but runs out of breath at higher rpms (good slow offroading power). Main power difference otherwise is obviously the displacement (3000cc vs 2400cc) and that can translate quite significantly in terms of mileage particularly with early model 1KZs being rather thirsty.....
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

  7. #7
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    raohamid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    37
    Posts
    2,176
    Follows
    2
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post
    Hi all,
    I am looking at two 70 series prados, both short wheel base models, one with a 2L-TE motor and the other with the 1KZ-TE. Both these motors I get are head crackers with the 2L-TE being a more regular sampler of that problem. However, it is my understanding that if the cooling system is kept good and the egts are kept under control, both of them seem to do fine. The main issue however is, that I have no experience with either of these engines and from heresay I get that they are both not particulary economical in terms of fuel costs. I have had 3L/5L powered vehicles now and they were very good with diesel(+/-10km/l). I would be grateful if any of you could share his experience with these motors in terms of low end tractability, top end power and the ensuing fuel bills.
    Regards
    Hamzah Faateh
    Hello Hamzah.
    To make a long story short, somehow knowing your usage, you will be happy with the KZJ. In either case, consumption will be better than with your current 3F engine. Last but not least, we welcome you to the club of coil sprung suspensions and much better seating, which will arguably make much more of a difference than your engine choice

    Need to talk about your experience with the auto lockers. Check PM.

    Rao.
    I will miss her, that RKR. She will always be the one that got away.
    But, life goes on. From RKR to MMC. 4x4 Engaged? Team Unimog, Pakistan

  8. #8
    PakWheeler Follow
    HamzahF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default @SuhaibKiani

    Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Well didn't mean to be unhelpful, hence wanted to cut things short In terms of driveability they are probably pretty similar engines when you speak of later model 2LTs vs early model 1KZs. The later 2LTs don't typically have the head cracking issue anymore than early 1KZs would or wouldn't. Key driving difference is that the 2LT has a bigger turbo which kicks in higher rpms and has a bit of lag (good on highway, not much for offroading) while the 1KZ smaller turbo kicks in early and quick but runs out of breath at higher rpms (good slow offroading power). Main power difference otherwise is obviously the displacement (3000cc vs 2400cc) and that can translate quite significantly in terms of mileage particularly with early model 1KZs being rather thirsty.....
    Just the kind of advice i was looking for. Did not know they had different turbos. This bit of insight pretty much answers alot of my questions. Apart from real world milage figures on the 2LT-E. Thanks alot!
    Flat six flattening things out!

  9. #9
    PakWheeler Follow
    HamzahF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lahore
    Age
    28
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default @raohamid

    Quote Originally Posted by raohamid View Post
    Hello Hamzah.
    To make a long story short, somehow knowing your usage, you will be happy with the KZJ. In either case, consumption will be better than with your current 3F engine. Last but not least, we welcome you to the club of coil sprung suspensions and much better seating, which will arguably make much more of a difference than your engine choice

    Need to talk about your experience with the auto lockers. Check PM.

    Rao.
    Haha, id take a bucking steed over a limp mare any day. Jokes apart, the RKR is here to stay, this one is in stead of the 3L powered LJ70 LandCruiser 2 I am bored with. Wether ride quality will shift me away from audible piston strokes the 3F makes is yet another(rather lopsided) debate. The 3L is great in low range and gives great fuel economy. Thats where the greatness ends though. Its quite a lazy dog on the highway and with the gearing i have on the LJ, has a cap of 100km/h. Need something more lively, hence thinking 2LT-E/1KZT-E. Cheers!
    Flat six flattening things out!

  10. #10
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    SuhaibKiani's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Select City
    Age
    41
    Posts
    4,899
    Follows
    5
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    0
    Problems Solved
    0
    Best Answers
    0
    Good Answers
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post
    Haha, id take a bucking steed over a limp mare any day. Jokes apart, the RKR is here to stay, this one is in stead of the 3L powered LJ70 LandCruiser 2 I am bored with. Wether ride quality will shift me away from audible piston strokes the 3F makes is yet another(rather lopsided) debate. The 3L is great in low range and gives great fuel economy. Thats where the greatness ends though. Its quite a lazy dog on the highway and with the gearing i have on the LJ, has a cap of 100km/h. Need something more lively, hence thinking 2LT-E/1KZT-E. Cheers!
    OK with that background, the 2LTE is would be a bit more sporty than the 3L but overall I don't think its worth changing the car or swapping the engine for. The 1KZ-TE would be a better option if you want your effort and money to really be worth something provided you can handle the added fuel costs....

    BTW! That steed vs mare line is a classic...
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •