Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default FJ40 help urgent!

Aoa,

I am planning to buy a toyota LC fj40, army auction... need some advices regarding rebuilding.....
    need opinion for the genuine 2F(4200cc) petrol engine..... about fuel consumption...conversion to CNG.....
    also need opinion for swaping engine to diesel.. recommend any engine..
    also working of AC whether it is ok to install in a soft top jeep.. can it be used as a daily runner

urgently help required from offroading professionals...
    regards haroon_1

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good discussion going on here. Will just share my recent experience with you all. As some of my IJC brothers know, I was going for a engine swap last month on my BJ60. the choice of engine was 2F, while currently running a 3B which gives me good power for offroading and good fuel economy for daily driving (9km/ltr). Whereas a 2F is not so good on mileage and the carbi issues, although can be worked out, still requires you to spend time at the shop. Moreover, with fuel prices going crazy in Pakistan, a 3B will definitely give you more kms/ltr as opposed to a 2F. No doubt the 2F sounds like a more fun engine to play with, but not for a daily machine in terms of practicality. But if you have a project machine to play with, then go for it. I was also advised that 3F is a better option as opposed to the 2F for obvious reasons.
    I was at the brink of making the swap to 2F, when I realized that 3B is the better engine for my specific requirement of being a daily driver + offroading machine.

In the end it simply comes down to what your requirements are for your machine and how you want to use it. In my case, because I use my BJ60 daily, I decided to stay with my 3B with plans to put in a 5-speed transmission as opposed to the 4-speed that im using now and maybe later throw in a turbo.
    4x4 for life!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default @hayzin

Quote Originally Posted by hayzin View Post
    Good discussion going on here. Will just share my recent experience with you all. As some of my IJC brothers know, I was going for a engine swap last month on my BJ60. the choice of engine was 2F, while currently running a 3B which gives me good power for offroading and good fuel economy for daily driving (9km/ltr). Whereas a 2F is not so good on mileage and the carbi issues, although can be worked out, still requires you to spend time at the shop. Moreover, with fuel prices going crazy in Pakistan, a 3B will definitely give you more kms/ltr as opposed to a 2F. No doubt the 2F sounds like a more fun engine to play with, but not for a daily machine in terms of practicality. But if you have a project machine to play with, then go for it. I was also advised that 3F is a better option as opposed to the 2F for obvious reasons.
    I was at the brink of making the swap to 2F, when I realized that 3B is the better engine for my specific requirement of being a daily driver + offroading machine.

In the end it simply comes down to what your requirements are for your machine and how you want to use it. In my case, because I use my BJ60 daily, I decided to stay with my 3B with plans to put in a 5-speed transmission as opposed to the 4-speed that im using now and maybe later throw in a turbo.
    I get you are currently running a H41/42. Can you tell me about the driveability of this gearbox and how the ratios feel? Since you use it as a DD how does it move through the gears and whats the speed where it tops out during highway use?
    Flat six flattening things out!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default @HamzahF

Quote Originally Posted by HamzahF View Post
    I get you are currently running a H41/42. Can you tell me about the driveability of this gearbox and how the ratios feel? Since you use it as a DD how does it move through the gears and whats the speed where it tops out during highway use?
    Yes, currently running a H41 and looking for a H55.
    The ratios and drive-ability are very very different from the H55.
    In the H41 or H42, you basically get more low end power, this is good when attempting steep climbs for offroading mostly.
    On the highway however, its a completely different story! Once you go in 4th gear and cross 100km, it sounds and feels like my BJ60 is begging me for a 5th gear! The max I have taken it so far in 4th is 110-115km on a straight road. Thus my need for a 5-speed. I would advise anyone stuck with a 4-speed transmission to swap it for a 5-speed irrespective of whether its a FJ40, RKR or BJ60.
    Checked in Pindi and the cost of a H55 comes from anywhere between Rs.25,000 to Rs.35,000 depending on how good a negotiator you are with the sellers and if you already have a H41/42 to trade in and pay the difference.
    The good thing is, there is almost little/no alteration required when making the swap from H41 to H55 in our series of Land Cruisers.
    4x4 for life!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well as far as i know cng in 6 cylinder engine will not be a good experience bec one of our club jeep had a cng ,BK monster(fj40) consumption was more than a petrol after getting rid of cng really its so amazing to drive but remember no synthetic oil used old formula oil ,literally you will love the sound of engine
    THE Word Impossible is in the Dictionary of Fools!
    "4x4 are built NOT bought"

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@haroon_1

Sorry buddy, I think we have taken over your thread, but this is all helpful stuff for you in deciding what to do. If you are considering an FJ40 with a 2F as a DAILY RUNNER, then you need to have a separate bank account just for petrol The 2F engine is an old engine (1970s) from the days when fuel prices where not a big problem and one could afford gas guzzling engines. Today in 2012, its a completely different scenario. And lets not forget the carbi and distributor issues, which can be fixed with the right attention to detail.
    If you install a CNG kit in this setup, that might be a viable option, but as aark30 said, you will kill the fun of a 2F by installing CNG. I for one am very much against CNG.
    As for your AC, having a soft top is not bad if it is done right. Ehsan Kiani is the right person to talk to for that. But nothing like the reliability of a hard top.
    However, if I were in your shoes, I would definitely go for a diesel engine like a 2B, 3B or 13B. Good luck and do share progress with us!
    4x4 for life!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up

WATCH ALL THE PARTS AND YOU WILL CAME TO KNOW FROM WHAT STUFF THIS TOYOTA IS MADE OFF

love toyota

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

well B series is the right choice i would take a start from B1 i had b1 in my cj7 and 13 bt in frp both are amazing engine rugged as Mongolian horse .

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by daudbros View Post
    Dear, I spend lot of money I change Clutch plate/Carb. Asian/Coil/plugs/ You name it for geting economy. But not.
    Brother remember that it is a 4.2 Liter Petrol engine.
    No matter what you do it will not give you the millage of a 1.0 liter engine.
    5km/L is not bad for a 2F
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by hsumbal1 View Post
    Brother remember that it is a 4.2 Liter Petrol engine.
    No matter what you do it will not give you the millage of a 1.0 liter engine.
    5km/L is not bad for a 2F

Thanks for your comments but as per Specifiction it should give around 8km in city. But it..............

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brother can you tell me about fuel consumption of 4200 multivalve efi in Land Cruiser ? and would cng work with that ?
    THE SIGNATURE BJ40

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My fj40 gives 8.4 km on straight run

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its just bcoz u have spent a lot on it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by b4bred View Post
    its just bcoz u have spent a lot on it
    how do u know I have spend lot on it?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its just bcoz I was a silent regular visitor of ur thread regarding restoration of ur fj and all the goodies and quality of work shows that u hav spent a lot of money and hardwork

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'm not FJ40 expert by any stretch of imagination, but I do know that the most often quoted figure for 2F fuel consumption is 4-5 km/L. An acquaintance of mine was recently selling his recently restored FJ and he claimed the truck was getting 7 km/L which is tolerable. He didn't rebuild the engine, just installed a new carb meant not for the 2F but the smaller displacement F instead.

Generally speaking of inline 6 Toyota SUV motors, none of them are fuel efficient... even the crazy expensive, high fangled 24 valve EFI 1FZ-FE isn't good for any more than 6 km/L. BY comparison, even the antiquated 4.0L HO inline 6 out of older Jeeps does a consistent 8 km/L. There are more EFI options for the FJ40 but not without squeezing your budget.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List