Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jehanzebnasir

Thread: Buying Advice - 1st Prado (1990-1996)

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Buying Advice - 1st Prado (1990-1996)

Dear All!

I recently got interested in a 1990-1996 Prado - 5 door version.

I would need all the advice there is before buying it since it will be my first SUV.

What is there to check when buying a Prado? What engine is the best option? What is it with swapped bodies and stuff and how to check it? What about ''jenian''(genuine) paint - is it a decisive factor in SUVs as well?

I will not be offroading like an offroader..the max will be a couple of trips annually to my village in Kashmir. Rest, it will be driven in Lahore and trips on motorway to Faisalabad and Islamabad.

One more thing - about the maintenance. How high is it in comparison to for instance, a Honda Civic?

And indicative price range I should look at for an absolutely problemless vehicle.

Thanks in advance.
    A Post-Wh0re is a user who's only aim in life is to increase his post count. He/she gets off by receiving likes and mentions, and considers his post count a medal on his skinny chest. A post-Wh0re is the human equivalent of Chihuahua..bickering pointlessly, effortlessly, permanently.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

AOA

I was also searching for same models for last one year, did some search and found:

1. 90-93 models came with 2LTE 2446 cc engine with square shaped dashboard. Price range 8-11. This engine has got in built fault of head crack. You will see that most of the owners of this model change this engine to 1KZTE 2978 cc, which has got enough torque but it is fuel thirsty. But in my opinion only the engine change is not enough unless you change its gearbox and differentials as well.

2. 94-95 models came with 1KZTE 2978 cc engine with round shaped dashboard and new interior. Price range for a trouble free vehicle could be around 13-15 lacs. A very well maintained 1KZTE can give mileage upto 10km/l on long routes and 7-8km/l in city driving.

3. The problem while searching for jeeps is that you will find mostly tempered vehicles either body change or book of some other auctioned vehicle etc. try to avoid auctioned vehicles as most of them are tempered or atleast abused.

4. What I did is I made search and understood how to decode VIN (Vehicle identification number) or in layman terminology biscuit plate. Although its some what tedious job to understand but if you can do it chances of getting cheated will reduce considerably. For your help here are the codes for Prado 94-95 models:
    1. KZJ78G-PGT it stands for EX grade auto transmission 5 door having 1KZ engine
    2. KZJ78G-MGT EX manual
    3. KZJ78G-PET LX auto
    4. KZJ78G-MET LX manual
    5. KZJ78G-MNT SX manual

A few informative threads are:
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...s-land-cruiser
    https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...gs-tlc-rkr-rmr
    Another advise is that dont go for 3 door models as they turnover unfortunately.

5. I ended up buying a Landcruiser HJ60, 4.0 L, 6-cyl, 252000 kms driven isl regd.
    Used Toyota Land Cruiser 1989 Car for sale in Lahore - 405792 | Pakwheels

Regarding maintainence cost, owners having them for long can tell you better.

Any other information required you are welcome.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for the detailed response.

The tampered stuff is scary. It definitely is a deal breaker for me as I totally despise the idea of any 2 numbri.

Honestly I have found only one good looking 90-95 prado on PW. Its a 90 model and looks absolutely clean. The guy is asking 1.45 mil which I believe is pretty steep considering the model year. I intend to check it out nevertheless.

I hope there are more cars in the physical market than there are in virtual.

What is safe mileage for these prados? I mean a 22 uears old car driven only 120k doesn't sound right. Or does it?

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List