Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Costs of used axle for Landcruiser BJ45?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Costs of used axle for Landcruiser BJ45?

Hi all,

I will introduce myself later in the members section, but for now I already have a question. I am Dutch and my wife and I are busy with driving an '83 Landcruiser to Nepal and back. We have already visited Pakistan and met with the Islamabad Jeep Club, where I might have met some of you. It was al very nice, and now, after visiting India and Nepal we will likely again go through Pakistan on our way back.

I was wondering to change our rear axle with another used one in Pakistan. Therefore I am curious what the costs are for either a used semi-floating axle or a used full-floating axle. We have a Toyota Landcruiser BJ45 from 1983, and we have seen they are there in Pakistan (Rawalpindi and KKH), but I have no idea how common a full-floating axle is.
    The full-floating axle is the axle with the hubs sticking out of the wheels, just like the front, for people who are less technical. Most BJ45's are supplied with semi-floating axles from factory.

Thank you,
    Roland

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

welcome to the forum

Repost your query in here https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...abad-jeep-club and wait for magic to happen

Quote Originally Posted by BJ45Roland View Post
    Hi all,

I will introduce myself later in the members section, but for now I already have a question. I am Dutch and my wife and I are busy with driving an '83 Landcruiser to Nepal and back. We have already visited Pakistan and met with the Islamabad Jeep Club, where I might have met some of you. It was al very nice, and now, after visiting India and Nepal we will likely again go through Pakistan on our way back.

I was wondering to change our rear axle with another used one in Pakistan. Therefore I am curious what the costs are for either a used semi-floating axle or a used full-floating axle. We have a Toyota Landcruiser BJ45 from 1983, and we have seen they are there in Pakistan (Rawalpindi and KKH), but I have no idea how common a full-floating axle is.
    The full-floating axle is the axle with the hubs sticking out of the wheels, just like the front, for people who are less technical. Most BJ45's are supplied with semi-floating axles from factory.

Thank you,
    Roland
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Will have to confirm the exact costs but a full floating 70 series axle with locking diffs would cost something like PKR 70k / ~US$ 750. We have used these on FJ40s with good success, may need some minor mods but nothing too drastic. Taking a guess here but 40 series diffs (mostly semi-floaters) would be around PKR 30k / ~US$ 350 and 70 series non-locking full floaters would probably be around PKR 45k / ~US$ 500. These prices are for very good condition second hand parts out of fresh Japanese imports. If you look hard enough you can find decent condition locally used parts for less, but would recommend you should stick to fresh imports and buy from a trusted second hand vendor ...

Will get back with confirmed prices, but hope that helps! Best of Luck for the return trip BTW!
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@capsat, thank you.

@Suhaib, you remember us? Your the brother of Eshan right, we've been at Eshan's place and the last day we met you. Maybe we can see your 40 series this time, or is it on another rally?

Thank you for the information. Those are almost European prices, I think I will have to let the idea of a complete replacement axle go. So don't put in effort to confirm the prices.

The thing is that the holes for the centerbolt on the bottom of the axle are damaged. The U bolts were a bit loose, which I didn't see, and then we drove the car over a lot of bad roads in Nepal and Ladakh, so the rounds are oval instead of nice round. So the alignment of the rear axle is also a bit hard. I was thinking to fix this problem and at the same time upgrade the car, but that will be a bit too expensive. I'm trying to get it welded, I already got some plates fabricated to put on, but I have little trust in the local welding, because of the accuracy. If it's not accurate then the whole operation of welding the rear axle has no use. I will have to think about it, I can still drive the car.

If we get the new visa (they're not making it easy) then we will come again to Rawalpindi/Islamabad anyway, to get some parts for the Landcruiser and have some work done. So probably we will meet again

greetings,
    Roland

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List