Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Please suggest hilux 3L diesel speed enhancing upgrades

Hello all,

As the title suggests I need suggestions from experts here to make my 1992 hilux double cabin go faster. Its 3L diesel engine is all good, albeit its rated 70 hp which might be the problem. I could go 5VZ the 3.4 petrol 6 cylinder engine but I need diesel for offroading and a pesky petrol can't handle water. The diesel fuel injector is also good. Engine temperatures remain obedient. The "hissays" are 10 / 43 IIRC. Everything is stock. Its 4x4 power is extraordinary as I tracted a big russian tractor with its large ploughs in the ground with it to make it move and start it. So the press + clutch plates are good too (which i changed last year).

The problem is on highways where it doesn't go to 140 km/h any more like it used to. Reaching beyond 100 km/h takes a lot of time which is unusual. There is no problem with the engine's head. Mileage is nearly 11 km / liter.

I could get another more powerful engine but I want to stay on diesel. So, are there any tweaks or cheap add ons that I could use to make it go faster?

Thanks in advance.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    ^^ please dont use such diction.. Im also a mortal, a pretty fizool one as most people on PW would say, anyway - yes the pump head swap does work but working with the internals of the pump like changing the cam plate to a high lift one, ensuring correct advance and working with the metering sleeve spill timing - yields better result.

But its quite a nervous experience and you would need more gauges than an aircraft to monitor the engine..

BUT - ALL THE BEST, something is better than nothing.

Xulfiqar sir, my diesel mechanic i the one who does this swap and if I remember correctly he does tinker around with the timing, and the pumps intrnal parts too. Perhaps you could guide me as to the right way of going about these swaps. As you know, that most our desi kaam is basically jugaar.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

No offence but if you are really interested in proper gains then throw away that lousy engine and install something better. The L series engines are very inferior built and you will normally find them in their very basic cars to reduce overall cost of the specific trim of the vehicle. In diesel you have 1KZTE (intecooled version) as an option, 1KDFTV is much better when it comes to power and economy but comparitively much wiring is involved and the common D4D issues. In petrol you can review 5VZFE as its a very smooth engine/quiet and the wiring is not complex either, all depends upon your pocket and HP goals. Dont go for obselete engines such as 1UZ etc. Good luck
    Drive a Legend. Drive a Land Cruiser

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ Darth Vader, Brother if ever you wanted to dispose off your engine, pls do let me know. I might put it in my russian UAZ. I know 3L is a very lousy engine but it will suit the russian UAZ as the vehicle is too high and fairly unstable so i never run it more than 90KM/hr which i am sure the 3L be happy with. You can even message me your no on 0333 5119925 and we can discuss the matter on phone.
    Regards
    Noman

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3988 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by turumti View Post
    Xulfiqar sir, my diesel mechanic i the one who does this swap and if I remember correctly he does tinker around with the timing, and the pumps intrnal parts too. Perhaps you could guide me as to the right way of going about these swaps. As you know, that most our desi kaam is basically jugaar.

To see anything going on with the pump a good calibrated test bench is required along with some measuring gauges and tools..
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

To see anything going on with the pump a good calibrated test bench is required along with some measuring gauges and tools..
    Xulfiqar sir, my diesel mechanic has these tools and equipment.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you can even extract error codes from 1KZ-TE and 2L-TE. Nearly all such swaps I saw were that the scrap dealer slapped a simple NA pump on it and started the engine - removed the air intake pipe and showed the turbo was spinning. Apparently this means that the engine is perfect to sell. Sadly the mechanics dont know any better.

Just look at the small petrol engine swap threads on the tech forums - you will see that electricians cannot even wire up a dead simple as chips with salt setup like a toyota 5AFE - expecting them to wire up a V6 completely with everything included and running is a very vague idea. And an improper wired up system with no fail safes can result in very dangerous situations if your truck gets damaged.

mind you these electricians are the same "trial and error" ones.
    Can anyone please guide me to a Good Diesel Workshop / Mechanic in Karachi.....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Can anyone please guide me to a good diesel mech, one who has all the calibration equipment and knows what he is doing.... Atleast comes to it at best!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Bump Bump Bump....... Come on Pakwheelers.......

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List