0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A Somewhat Strange Rebuild

Off roading has come a long way in Pakistan. And I mean in all possible forms of the sport. We have dedicated rally-going vehicles. Dedicated hardcore vehicles. Poseur vehicles, that never really leave the road at all, unless it's to pull into a billion rupee farmhouse! We have Toyotas, Jeeps, Pajeros, Nissans, Unimogs, MUTTs, Ivecos, Pinzgauers,GMCs...in short; almost every imaginable ORV (off road vehicle) under the sun. Some intrepid builders are even building a fiberglass Hummer somewhere here!

Most of these vehicle, however, are "general use" vehicles, that dually act as daily drivers / weekend warriors, when the need arises. What we haven't seen, thus far, is a stripped-to-the-bones, high-performance trail rig emerge from the bowels of City Saddar Road. Something which, quite frankly, I find quite amazing.

Conceptually speaking, this shouldn't be a very difficult thing. After having learned much on the subject from rebuilding the Phantom (an FJ40; with a 1HZ engine, H150F transmission, Series 60 axle tubes, a 7:37 diff gear ratio, 42 inch tyres, and four doors), I've come to the conclusion that such a vehicle should NOT be a very difficult thing to build, at all. It should be an out-and-out off roader, with little/no creature comforts (we already have Willys and MUTTs and Unimogs, which are quite unadorned, that way)...it should boast incredible performance (engine, transmission, 4WD, differential locks, power steering, recovery systems)...should be capable of donning different wheels for its employment, in different avatars (tall/skinny for rallying/endurance/speed and thick/broad for traction and grip during hardcore wheeling).

Does such a vehicle require a body? I think not. Why shouldn't it have nothing but a tubular exo-skeleton / roll-cage built around the frame? Why should it need mudguards? Do we really have a requirement for any fancy electronics, other than those necessary for the engine management, lights, and winch etc? Must it be built around an expensive frame? Or could a simple, cheap, basic frame such as that of an M38 suffice? I've asked myself these questions, many a time, and for such a purpose-built rig, the answer has been pretty obvious, each time.

This thread, deals with the conceptual parameters of building such a radical ride. I'm going to jot down a few details that I have in mind...and I would love for the more knowledgeable amongst us, to step forward and add their opinion, advice, and criticism to the pot. I would also really appreciate it, if someone could also provide some feedback / input on the possible prices of the items I'm mentioning below. Some time, some day...one amongst us, will make this pipe-dream appear as reality, Insha Allah!

Frame
    M38 frame and voucher (the cheapest that is available in the market)

Engine / Transmission Choices
    1UZ-FE VVTi (300 bhp), mated to an H150F 5 speed manual transmission.
    1FZ-FE Black Top (224 bhp), mated to an H150 5 speed manual transmission, or a 4 speed auto tranny.
    2UZ-FE VVTi (271 bhp), mated to a 4/5 speed auto transmission.

Axles
    Toyota Series 60 Axle Tubes, running 9:37 or 10:41 diff gear ratios, with electronic diff locks.
    Nissan Patrol Axle Tubes, running 9:37 or 10:41 diff gear ratios, with electronic diff locks.

Tyres
    1 set each, of tall/skinny and fat/grippy tyres, in 33 inch and 38 inch avatars, respectively.

Steering
    Power assisted, with a kanghi-type steering box.

Winch
    Warn
    Toyota OEM

Body Styling (& Miscellaneous)
    None. It simply uses an arrangement of pipes bolted onto the frame as an exo-skeleton, which doubles as a roll-over cage as well. No mudguards, no wheel-wells, no body panels...in short; NOTHING which can encumber / hinder the mechanicals of the vehicle. Coilover springs (long travel). 4 wheel disc brakes. On board air, via a compressor. Steering stabilizers. Racing seats (with four point harnesses). A GPS. PERHAPS, a fold-down windscreen. PERHAPS a bikini top made out of vinyl / leatherite for wet weather.

In my mind's eye, I already have a fair idea of what this ride SHOULD look like. When I find a photo on the internet that comes close to what I believe it should be...I'll be sure to post it. In the meanwhile, if anyone would like to indulge their creativity / technical expertise with adding to this thread...please feel welcome.

Best regards.

Fouad.

Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Best of luck
    Toyota Ct190 Corona TRD i love the way she give me drive

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2 things come to my mind here, 1 having sufficient parking space 2 not having any practical car other then passo .ofcourse i depends on person to person.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hey guys..I've owned 3 ls400 Lexus ..one I kept for 2 years only doing 800 miles..I love German cars Audi vw.. The thing is ..I did fall for Lexus.. Know you guys have bought it up..I've been thinking what was it that maid me hang on to the car for 2 years..it wasn't the way it looked..it drove nice..bit boaty round corners..it was the v8 up front..the way it delivered the power..it's true ....beautiful engine..but I still believe its to complex for off roading...unless it was convert to carbs..plus with vvti system... The power comes in far to late..water will be a big issue..with all the electronics...big company's spend millions on these tools for devolment......they slowly make there way down to production cars..truck boats everything really...my conclusion is everything is available now..it's just how you put it together..
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mr hafeez....you sound like me..the brain going 1000 mph..with no real objective...I've had up to 10 projects going at the same time..total madness...all day.. Driving up and down the country buying this and that..when a quite moment a pairs. And time to reflect..on what's going on..my brain can't Handel it..so what I decided was.. Build one..and as I am going along start buying the bits for next..or buy bits for the first one knowing your not going to use them.. So you can use them on your second project..lol..my opinion is build the orv..but as you vist these places.. Keep an I out for the ratrod ..as the collection grows..and pile grows higher..you'll have a ratrod soon enough..what ever I can to help in this proses...I will gladly do...
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'll take the "brain going at a 1000mph...with no real objective" as a compliment of sorts...since I tend to take an optimistic, cheerful view of such poorly-selected words.

Let me reassure you, I have no intention of this being a futile exercise in intellectualisation. On the contrary, I view this as a preparatory stage for the coming rebuild. A time to conceive, plan, and strategize the essential elements of WHAT to do, WHEN to do it, WHERE to do it, and HOW to do it. I'm in absolutely no hurry to start this build at all, since I'm already building an '84 FJ40 (for the last year) a '65 Chevy Impala (for the last 8 months) and a '67 Chevy Impala (for the past 6 months). So please...let me hasten to reiterate...the seemingly directionless ramblings in this thread are NOT total randomness on my part. On the contrary, all of this is a very deliberate, very precise process of whittling things down to the very basic requirements. If it appears to be complete chaos...well, let's just say THAT is by design, and not by default.

Thanks for the offer of help. It's much appreciated.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lol.... U response deserves an applause.....I had reach for dictionary my brother...I bow in front of greatness ..u haven't published any books of reasant ...bro..lol ..your to cool for even words...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Teeboyuk View Post
    Mr hafeez....you sound like me..the brain going 1000 mph..with no real objective...I've had up to 10 projects going at the same time..total madness...all day.. Driving up and down the country buying this and that..when a quite moment a pairs. And time to reflect..on what's going on..my brain can't Handel it..so what I decided was.. Build one..and as I am going along start buying the bits for next..or buy bits for the first one knowing your not going to use them.. So you can use them on your second project..lol..my opinion is build the orv..but as you vist these places.. Keep an I out for the ratrod ..as the collection grows..and pile grows higher..you'll have a ratrod soon enough..what ever I can to help in this proses...I will gladly do...

bro...I've read my post again....I was mostly on about ..how I do things ..the way I look at things..I didn't mean to offend you.. Or judge you any way..my apologies ...if it was taken the wrong way..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    13 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now this is an Excellent Thread .. I have been thinking on the same lines for long and i believe my CJ5 would end up being a radical Crawler ... I have already started collecting the all parts needed for the transformation ... and with the input of GURU's in this thread i can totally make it happen ....
    "" PAKISTAN ZINDABAD ""

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

User Tag List