5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thumbs up IJC Rally Team makes history, Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012

Alhamdolillah, IJC Rally Team is back after a very succesful participation in Thar Mithi Desert Challenge.

We are extremely proud to announce that both the vehicles of IJC rally team finished on the podium with 2nd and 3rd Positions behind none other than Mir Nadir Khan Magsi!

The participating team consisted of

Pajero V6-3000 - Vehicle # 411 (Category A) 2nd Position
    Driver - Asad Marwat
    Navigator - Shehzad Hamid

Nissan Patrol Pickup - Vehicle # 412 (Category A) 3rd Position
    Driver - Nadeem Naeem
    Navigator - Zohaib Jadun (weight balancer!)

We are all extremely grateful to Almighty for bringing us back safely and for his eternal blessings upon us!

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090040

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090041

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090042

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090043

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090046

By Desert Devil:

Going, not going, annuals leaves applied, withdrawn, applied withdrawn and finally didn?t apply till only 4 days were left for the event. This time there was lots of confusion with the organisers owing to one issue or the other, which resultantly put us all at a very tough spot. In the last 3 days NN went extremely ill and was on double dose of antibiotics. Alhamdollilah he recovered a bit few hours before the flight and hence decided to go. Till that time, Pinks and myself were nothing but totally lost on how to handle the situation if at all NN and Jadoon can?t make it and we had to proceed alone. We were relieved when we got a call from NN at 3 pm to pack and let?s go.

We had sent our vehicles to Karachi in the trailer a week in advance as the roll cage had to be installed there. We had our flights booked for Thursday night, 29th Nov 2012. Osman Bhai had arranged for our pick up, boarding and lodging (Thanks Mitsu).

Left for Mithi in a convoy of 4 vehicles early morning on Friday 30, Nov. The day was a strike called by all parties so practically all the roads were deserted. We made it to Mithi just after lunch. After putting our stuff in the designated lodging area, we had our vehicles inspected for ?tech?. After registration we left for reccee of the track in 3 vehicles and returned after sun fall. Osman bhai joined us late night from Karachi as he had to take care of some issues at his office.

The qualification round was very interesting and balloting was done for the firing order. NN had to go as the first participant, MitsuMan on 7th and I was on the 20th. By the time my turn came, the track was in shambles with deep ruts and extremely bad bumps. Anyway it went well and after qualifying we went in Hassan?s Vigo for yet another reccee.

The next day was ?the day?. Nadir Magsi came first in qualifying hence he started his run at 9 am. NN time was at 9:25 mine was at 9:45 and Mitsu was at 10:55. The track was not what we saw a day earlier and the vehicles were all over the track. Bouncing, sliding, drifting? u name any stunt and it was there.

The first round of odd 95 kms was done fine by both the vehicles, however the 2nd round one was real tough one owing to deep ruts created by racing vehicles. I gained few mins in the first one whereas NN did pretty well in the 2nd one. I can still hear the echos of Shehzad (pinks) laughter when we would go off track hitting ?bana? bushes, and at one time a very big bush and would then curse either the track, the tyres, the animals on the track and sometimes myself . He proved to be a true Pink Panther pushing and pushing and pushing me to the limit in driving with his excellent navigational skills as well as sense of humor (cough cough)

The result was a blessing from Allah Almighty, something never to be forgotten and has been posted already.

Many thanks to the entire team for making this one never to be forgotten event.

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090870IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090871IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090872IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090873IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090874

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Probably, Noman Saranjam and Nadir came on it to rally village to attend driver's meeting!

There were probably 5-6 different tundra's seen during the rally weekend!
    Right Noman saranjam met him in our last event at indus river.
    Never go offroading alone!!!you never know when you need a push!!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Overall our launch timings were such, that Mitsuman's launch was after both Asad and i had returned after completing stage 1, and than when Mitsu returned we left for our 2nd stage and on our return he left for his second run!

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090875IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090876IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090877IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090878

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090879IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090880IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090881IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090882

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now coming towards the most interesting part of the whole trip. After both Asad n I finished, Asad had some idea that his timing was good enough for a podium, maybe 2nd or 3rd. I had assumed that my first stage let down meant I was 4th. A bit disappointed, but still thankful that we finished in one piece and NPP mashaallah was as usual absolutely trouble free.

We had late lunch after a shower and just chilled. The organizers decided to play the most bizarre political songs in the background. We watch our vdo footage/ pix and chatted and slowly packed our stuff and time passed gradually.

Asad, pinks and Zuhaib had gone to the stage where ceremony was going to take place. We could hear the speaches on loudspeakers. Mitsu, I, Doc Zahid and Salman were chatting in our camp, until they started to announce the result (backwards from D category). So I asked everyone, lets go we need to take pics of Asad taking the award and prize etc. When I got there, category C was being announced, I positioned myself to take pics along with numerous other people, camera men and news channels capturing the ceremony.

Next came category B announcement, and when I was capturing Ronnie patels's 1st position cup give away, i heard an organizer asking, Doctor Sb, what are you doing down there, come up on stage, you are being called next. Imagine the confusion that ensued. the stairs were full of photographers, I didn't know where Zuhaib was, and neither did Asad, pinks and Zuhaib know where I was. Asad n Pinks pushed Zuhaib towards the cheif guest, while i some how managed to hurl myself onto the stage. Didn't know what to do with my camera and camera bag, so just aologised to Nadir Magsi, and left it on table in front of him, where he was sitting on the stage!

Anyway both Zuhaib n I made it to chief guest to receive our trophy, but confusion continued, Zuhaib asked the cheif guest to give trophy to me, he looked at me and I said, no give it to him and eventually sense prevailed and we both held the trophy for photographers.

Immediately after that Asad n Pinks received their trophy and than it was hugs all round between all of us. It was one of the most pleasant surprises one can ever imagine. We had nicked the podium from one the very strong contenders by a margin of less than a minute!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So here are the podium pics

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090886IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090887IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090888

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090889ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090890ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090891

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090892ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090893ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090894

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090895ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090896ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090897

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090898ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090899ijc rally team makes history  thar mithi desert rally 2012 -1090900

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090907IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090908IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090909IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090910

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090911IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090912IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090913IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090914

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I had written a very detailed account of how our podium happened, but somehow the forum auto response said, it needs to be cleared from the mods before it can be displayed??? Lets hope it shows up soon!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

We returned, Karachi the same night, reaching around 1am. Saw our names on the ticker on various news channel, and suddenly we were stars for a short while!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The next morning we were out n about in Karachi, before boarding the eveining flight back to ISB.

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090916IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090917IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090918

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090924

The heavy weights!

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090925

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090926

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

These were all the still pics from my camera!

Waiting for the others.

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IJC Rally Team makes history  Thar Mithi Desert Rally 2012 -1090927

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Before the start of the second round, as NN mentioned, all the vehicles between us had either dropped out or were pushed back. Hence i was lined up just after NN. As a precaution we decided to keep our Ham radios on and on full volume during that run, that just in case i cover the distance behind him we will give him a call on the radio to give us the pass. That never happend NN was no where to be found. He was on full steam in the 2nd run and did cover up to a great extent for his lost time in the first one.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Congratulations Team IJC!!!