Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Thinking of building a "Nice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool Thinking of building a "Nice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future.

I would need to do real homework before embarking on such a project.
    I hve been reading several forums about rebuilds.
    Of course not many talk about costs and local limitations.
    I would need fellow pakwheeler's input as we plan or scrap this idea together.
    Ideally i would want it to be built from chasis up, but again its all cost dependant.
    From what i understand it would probably be better to go with a 3B or 3BT engine as a daily driver for
    Reasonable fuel economy figures, but is it too ticky ( noisy) and sooty..
    I want it to be completely reliable. I am not sure if a 30 year old queen can be that reliable especially after a heart transplant ( diesel engine)
    I have never owned one, is it too rough to drive daily?
    I would need to figure out the Cost breakdown of the project including the rig itself and rebuilt parts and labor
    And How long should it take? I know patience is key.
    Thanks everyone.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

At the very outset, let me welcome you to the sickness

Secondly, let me hasten to reassure you that the very phrase "nice FJ40" is a complete contradiction of terms, since there IS no such thing. ALL FJ40s are nasty, ornery, ferocious and vicious...they only have "nice" owners.

Now, onto the more serious stuff.

FJ40s will never be the most comfortable ride in the world. They simply aren't wired that way, and neither were they designed that way, ab initio. What they ARE, is hard, uncompromising, incredibly reliable, simple, and no-frills-attached. They offer a vast choice to rebuilders with regards to a host of stock and/or modified fittings, which make them a dream for anyone with a fertile imagination. You have dozens of engine, transmission, axle, differential, and exhaust options, so pinning a ballpark figure on how much you're likely to spend will definitely vary, from combination to combination. Believe me when I say it isn't uncommon for rebuilds to exceed PKR 2 Million. At the same time, it's quite possible to just add some oils to the original mechanical set-up, charge the battery, and start driving it everyday, straight from the auctioneer's block.

In the local context, there's a vast pool of craftsmen and technicians who're experts with the FJ40 in terms of body work, engines, modifications, interiors, tops, and electricals. Also, there is no dearth of parts out there. You just have to be able to access the right areas for the right bits. At this juncture though, I must hasten to add that the FJ40 is a money pit. You'll invariably end up pouring a lot of time, energy and resources into building one, simply because there is such a huge potential and so many areas, to do so. At the same time, your rebuild will never truly be "completed". Once you'll have achieved your desired set of objectives, a new set of them is likely to evolve. So you can't really pin a certain time frame to the rebuild, either. Such, is the very nature of the beast.

Bottom line: it's rough. Noisy. It rattles. It has little/nothing in the way of creature comforts. Your wife / girlfriend will hate it. If you're single, your mother / sister will probably hate it too. But it's still THE best off-roader on the planet. 'Nuff said.

Best of luck in making your choice.

Fouad.
    Always buy cars which your children love. They'll be helpful allies against your wife, later on!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I fully Agree with Fouad Saheb.. Very nicely Put.

On the other hand i own a jeep wrangler TJ (CJ7 Converted), My Fmaily and I simple Love it, Some times my wife takes it to work and I get to drive my honda . Yes its rough, but gives a very pleasant view of the sky in the evening when going for a coffee .

I am planning to build something else and want to sell mine. If you are interested in a ready to go project, just start and drive, you may consider looking at this. https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...baltoro-sports.

I use it as a daily drive, Use it for Shikar with my Buddies, my wife drives it around town and it has never let me dows on any of the IJC off roading events.

Wish you the best on your Project.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

any one wants to save money and build fj40 pls forget it.You might build a 4x4 some kind of but not fj40 surly.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fj40 is the best thing you can have.
    ever green car.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

FouadHafeez, Thanks a lot for your detailed overview. I do agree with you about most of your views.
    When I say Nice I did not mean Comfortable Nice, I mean 4x4 Nice.
    I do have some prior motorsport build and modification experience. Mostly VW/Audi mofications Hence the handle (Quattro). I also undersatnd that any motorsport project is a money pit but the the fun and axitement makes it worthed.
    I guess I have to be on the ground to have a real estimate of cost etc.
    However thats a good start, thanks a again

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kambrit View Post
    any one wants to save money and build fj40 pls forget it.You might build a 4x4 some kind of but not fj40 surly.
    I dont know where do u get the idea from to "save money". If planning/estimating how much should it cost mean saving money then may be you are right. I just want to make sure that i get the right engine/trans, suspension, top, and accessories.
    Now you see i am not in pakistan right now, and i would like to know roughly the cost of lets say a good repaint, cost of a b2 engine, cost of a hard top, etc
    Dont take me wrong but i am kind of naive to the old school ride overhaul scene in pakistan.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well sir here's a rough estimate as per prices in isb/rwp:

1. First of all the cost of chasis/khoka(local name) you would be using rather its a full vehical mostly having complete parts which might or might not work depending on the condition of that particular vehicle. It might cost you any where between 225k to 300k. My suggestion would be to go for the best possible chasis with a 4 forward gear box available if your not going to fiddle too much.

2. Availability of 2b/3b engines are now-a-days very difficult even if you could find one it would cost you approx 100-150k.

3. Engine fitting and mechanical overhaul might cost you around 50-70k if every thing else is working and needs general inspection. Do add a power steering

4. Denting could be any where around 20-35k.

5. Paint should be around 30k.

6. Dont have idea of hard top, soft top is around 15k with 5k of denter.

7. Electrical systems restoration must be around 20-30k.

8. Tires/rims if you wish to replace would be around 50-100k (ofcourse there is hell lot of choice avaiable from normal 275/65 to 33x12.5, 35 inchers)

These are the estimates if your going for only engine transplant and as per my experience or observation this is the best to do in a budget with reliability kept in mind. Otherwise if you plan to do modifications then this chasis has been modified to great extent obviously these mods comes with a cost (even some axles only cost around 150K and people have done that). About the comfor its not that uncomfortable for a jeep ;-)

Mostly parts are not a problem with fj40.

Hope this helps and serves the purpose. Best of luck for the project.
    //.....Don't bully Korean cars.......//

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by azkhan View Post
    Well sir here's a rough estimate as per prices in isb/rwp:

1. First of all the cost of chasis/khoka(local name) you would be using rather its a full vehical mostly having complete parts which might or might not work depending on the condition of that particular vehicle. It might cost you any where between 225k to 300k. My suggestion would be to go for the best possible chasis with a 4 forward gear box available if your not going to fiddle too much.

2. Availability of 2b/3b engines are now-a-days very difficult even if you could find one it would cost you approx 100-150k.

3. Engine fitting and mechanical overhaul might cost you around 50-70k if every thing else is working and needs general inspection. Do add a power steering

4. Denting could be any where around 20-35k.

5. Paint should be around 30k.

6. Dont have idea of hard top, soft top is around 15k with 5k of denter.

7. Electrical systems restoration must be around 20-30k.

8. Tires/rims if you wish to replace would be around 50-100k (ofcourse there is hell lot of choice avaiable from normal 275/65 to 33x12.5, 35 inchers)

These are the estimates if your going for only engine transplant and as per my experience or observation this is the best to do in a budget with reliability kept in mind. Otherwise if you plan to do modifications then this chasis has been modified to great extent obviously these mods comes with a cost (even some axles only cost around 150K and people have done that). About the comfor its not that uncomfortable for a jeep ;-)

Mostly parts are not a problem with fj40.

Hope this helps and serves the purpose. Best of luck for the project.
    And add Rs. 300k on top of it for nothing but she will swallow'em
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    And add Rs. 300k on top of it for nothing but she will swallow'em
    Hahahahaha. Well that's every jeep's hobby to eat money

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
    I dont know where do u get the idea from to "save money". If planning/estimating how much should it cost mean saving money then may be you are right. I just want to make sure that i get the right engine/trans, suspension, top, and accessories.
    Now you see i am not in pakistan right now, and i would like to know roughly the cost of lets say a good repaint, cost of a b2 engine, cost of a hard top, etc
    Dont take me wrong but i am kind of naive to the old school ride overhaul scene in pakistan.
    Sincere advise do when u in Pk.
    i have learn this lesson hard way and still learning as project still going on.
    good luck sorry for misunderstanding.keep it original as much as you can.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hard top i paid 55000 and engine littler rebuild 35000 good denting with painting will set you back min 75000 with little modifications in this they spray every part of car inch by inch top to bottom.
    power steering with front discs 50000. Ac heater unit 30000 it will be head to find 12 v but you can took me long time.seats 15000 front n rear.dont know how much suspension will cost. I paid round about 600usd from all shocks bushes and anti version shackles plus grease able pins but you can do this cheaper in Pk.
    winch will make hole in ur pocket about 30000.
    cost can be high as much as one wants.
    you can keep it low as well that's the best part of this beauty ( but won't be beauti then)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Machine Azkhan and Kambrit
    First of all Thanks a lot for this break down by Machine, now I get a clearer picture of the approximate costs.
    Kambrit: Thanks foir your input as well, I truly appreciate it. I do agree with you that I will only embark on this project while in pakistan. I see your frustration with the long distance affair.

If I am not mistaken the break down is as below:
    1. Chasis 225k to 300k.
    2. 2b/3b engines 150k.
    3. Engine fitting and mechanical overhaul 50-70k
    4. Power steering and discs 50,000
    5. Denting 20-35k.
    6. Paint 30k.
    7. Soft Top Dont 15k with 5k of denter.
    8. Hard Top 55000
    9. Electrical systems 20-30k.
    10.Tires/rims 50-100k
    11.A/c 30000
    12. Seats 15000
    13. Suspension: 55000
    14. Winch 30000
    15. Brakes 15000
    These add up to roughly 875000
    If we add 100,000 for misc.

I am not mistaken we can roughly estimate 950000 to 1000000 for decent good running FJ40?

Now of course we did not count any custom Roll Cage/Bars, New Exhaust etc.

Do you guys agree with the above breakdown estimates? or do you suggest any changes or additions?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well for me this budget is more than enough. I usually build my jeeps at a budget and they had never let me down either in offroading or touring.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Then why Not Buy a running and working BJ-40 Having *most things in placed already in far less than the cost and estimate mentioned obove.*...i am saying this with having some knowledge of some running BJ40 in market.
    1-Upgrading & Going for maximum performance is my Passion. 2- Hypermilling Really works

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by UpGrade View Post
    Then why Not Buy a running and working BJ-40 Having *most things in placed already in far less than the cost and estimate mentioned obove.*...i am saying this with having some knowledge of some running BJ40 in market.
    Yes thats quite a good option provided if one can find a reasonably priced good restored rig (though a tough task to find one and then to satisfy the restoration bug in one's mind) and mod as per your choice. But beware not to fall prey to a badly restored ride as they'll cost you more to bring them to desired shape (experienced it myself once).

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by azkhan View Post
    Yes thats quite a good option provided if one can find a reasonably priced good restored rig (though a tough task to find one and then to satisfy the restoration bug in one's mind) and mod as per your choice. But beware not to fall prey to a badly restored ride as they'll cost you more to bring them to desired shape (experienced it myself once).
    most of ppl do it caz they want tailor made car.Ready made wont be tailor made in order to bring it close to mind you will end up spending more money.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Upgrade, you might be right about simply buying it if the cost is similar. My concern of buyng something thats already done are the following:
    1. Quality of body work, especually being an older project truck, there is a good possibility that they simply ainted over surface rust that will pop in a year or two and then you have to redo it.
    2. The likelihood that the restoration was done on a budget with the aim of flipping the truck to make a buck, making it a good possibility of cutting corners. This may have reliability issues down the road.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
    Upgrade, you might be right about simply buying it if the cost is similar. My concern of buyng something thats already done are the following:
    1. Quality of body work, especually being an older project truck, there is a good possibility that they simply ainted over surface rust that will pop in a year or two and then you have to redo it.
    2. The likelihood that the restoration was done on a budget with the aim of flipping the truck to make a buck, making it a good possibility of cutting corners. This may have reliability issues down the road.
    Yes i am in strong favor of buying a original BJ40 instead of going for a Scraped yard worn and Army Drivers Totkaa's/jugaar*Repaired FJ-40 which when you come to restoration will cost you more than 8 lac at the minimum, however recently one of my Friend get hold of a original BJ-40 with having original diesel engine and compatable Diffrential ,Inside original paint in 5.5 lac . and remember buying such rig will save your lot of time and money like registration/conversion and the best thing is you can test/drive it as much as you can to your satisfaction before buying one.. Just be careful in buying .
    *normally its my experience that people Buy army auctioned Rigs as a hobby and enjoy its restoration .

To explain further People buy RKR (army auctioned around 5 lac or so) and after restoration/registration ets she will cost around 10 Lac with having a fuel thirsty engine with old carby configurations/drum Brakes/Leaf spring/fixed Seats *while on the other hand one can easily Get hold of a Original 70 series Having Original 1KZ with lots and lots of comfort providing gagdets in the same budget*

so same is the story with the 40 series lovers . i have met lots of people who restored FJ-40 and believe me 80% of those are willing to sell their rigs just after restoration .
    *this is nothing to disappoint any one who loves and depend on Restoration please.
    Happy Motoring.
    1-Upgrading & Going for maximum performance is my Passion. 2- Hypermilling Really works

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@UpGrade

Ahan well I would like to differ on your opinion regarding RKR. RKR is a heavy duty offroad mean machine having 4.0L engine (leaf springs are there for a reason) while normal 70 series you get in Pakistan is a 2.4L Diesel or 22r petrol (similar to crown). If you come across any 70 series workshop manuals there is clear indication of Heavy Duty Land Cruiser (for example manual Publication Numeber 36262E). Every machine has its own purpose when it comes out of the production

Hope this clears the difference between a normal light duty FJ70 and heavy duty FJ70 RKR.

Regards/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List