Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Thinking of building a "Nice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Cool Thinking of building a "Nice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future.

I would need to do real homework before embarking on such a project.
    I hve been reading several forums about rebuilds.
    Of course not many talk about costs and local limitations.
    I would need fellow pakwheeler's input as we plan or scrap this idea together.
    Ideally i would want it to be built from chasis up, but again its all cost dependant.
    From what i understand it would probably be better to go with a 3B or 3BT engine as a daily driver for
    Reasonable fuel economy figures, but is it too ticky ( noisy) and sooty..
    I want it to be completely reliable. I am not sure if a 30 year old queen can be that reliable especially after a heart transplant ( diesel engine)
    I have never owned one, is it too rough to drive daily?
    I would need to figure out the Cost breakdown of the project including the rig itself and rebuilt parts and labor
    And How long should it take? I know patience is key.
    Thanks everyone.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thinking of building a "Nice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future. - icon6 Thinking of building a "Nice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future.

This is the odd part which is not good according to me, you cannot live with a fj40 as your daily driver.
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@azkhan
    well said bro
    @UpGrade

I agree with u bro that the restoration is a cumbersome process, but what u get as a result is complete peace of mind and the confidence that ur rig will not let u down as uve built it ur self. A BJ40 out of the market can't give u that peace of mind even if its in a relatively good condition unless it is owned by enthusiast like urself . The jugaars by the X no. of owners are bound to give u frequent trips to the mechanics and ultimately u'll end up spending quite a lot.
    @Quattro

Bro 1ufze can also be another option for the proposed rig as I've read somewhere in the forums that the suhaibkiani@pw fj40 with a 1u is giving around 9-10 km/l in islamabad driving condition. May u can drop him a PM and get his inputs as he is one of the most expereinced guy in the restoration business.
    1)Merdcedes W124-Daily driven, 2)Toyota FJ70 RKR-Reliable offroader, 3)Mitsubishi Pajero Shogun-Comfy workshorse, 4)M38A1-Fun ride, 5)Daewoo Racer- Econimically reliable

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by azkhan View Post
    @UpGrade

Ahan well I would like to differ on your opinion regarding RKR. RKR is a heavy duty offroad mean machine having 4.0L engine (leaf springs are there for a reason) while normal 70 series you get in Pakistan is a 2.4L Diesel or 22r petrol (similar to crown). If you come across any 70 series workshop manuals there is clear indication of Heavy Duty Land Cruiser (for example manual Publication Numeber 36262E). Every machine has its own purpose when it comes out of the production

Hope this clears the difference between a normal light duty FJ70 and heavy duty FJ70 RKR.

Regards/
    Yes you right Dear but i am suggesting 70 series with having 1kZ engine .
    1-Upgrading & Going for maximum performance is my Passion. 2- Hypermilling Really works

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@UpGrade

Bro as far as I know (and im not the authority ) the original 70 series never came with 1kz while 70 light series (to be more specific) came with 1kz is the few other upgrades. It's still a light duty 70 series while the original concept of 70 series is the heavy duty version. Let me share some articles to clear out the confusion

This is what you are refering to Toyota Land Cruiser Prado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is what RKR is Toyota Land Cruiser (J70) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Another link
    LC70mainpage

With best regards sir
    //.....Don't bully Korean cars.......//

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
    Machine Azkhan and Kambrit
    First of all Thanks a lot for this break down by Machine, now I get a clearer picture of the approximate costs.
    Kambrit: Thanks foir your input as well, I truly appreciate it. I do agree with you that I will only embark on this project while in pakistan. I see your frustration with the long distance affair.

If I am not mistaken the break down is as below:
    1. Chasis 225k to 300k.
    2. 2b/3b engines 150k.
    3. Engine fitting and mechanical overhaul 50-70k
    4. Power steering and discs 50,000
    5. Denting 20-35k.
    6. Paint 30k.
    7. Soft Top Dont 15k with 5k of denter.
    8. Hard Top 55000
    9. Electrical systems 20-30k.
    10.Tires/rims 50-100k
    11.A/c 30000
    12. Seats 15000
    13. Suspension: 55000
    14. Winch 30000
    15. Brakes 15000
    These add up to roughly 875000
    If we add 100,000 for misc.

I am not mistaken we can roughly estimate 950000 to 1000000 for decent good running FJ40?

Now of course we did not count any custom Roll Cage/Bars, New Exhaust etc.

Do you guys agree with the above breakdown estimates? or do you suggest any changes or additions?
    i think you forgot to add reg. cost
    GO MEAN OR GO HOME | facebook.com/4x4MeanMachines | facebook.com/ythband

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fouadar View Post
    i think you forgot to add reg. cost
    I think we all forgot that.lol

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

are you from Lahore ?
    i understand stuff is expensive in rwp/isb as compared to Lahore.
    GO MEAN OR GO HOME | facebook.com/4x4MeanMachines | facebook.com/ythband

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Now the discussion is getting very interesting. I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Upgrade brought a good point about 70 series and Azkhan argument makes sense too.
    From reading the comments it seems to me that going for a 70 series light duty with a 1kz motor can cost about 10,00000 in good condition, which may be younger and more easy to live with as a daily driver. It might also be give better fuel economy as compared to an older FJ40.
    Also to mention here that i did not know that the military land cruiser 70 series were different than the commercial models. Thats good to know.
    Speaking of registeration, does anyone has any clue? We recently registered a 2012xli in islamabad that was about 60k. I believe just a transfer of a honda civic is about 35-30k. I cant imagine how much will it be to register a 2500cc or a 4000cc suv.
    Again thanks for the commenys and keep em coming.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It will most likely be registered in islamabad.

Quote Originally Posted by fouadar View Post
    are you from Lahore ?
    i understand stuff is expensive in rwp/isb as compared to Lahore.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
    Now the discussion is getting very interesting. I appreciate everyone's input and suggestions. Upgrade brought a good point about 70 series and Azkhan argument makes sense too.
    From reading the comments it seems to me that going for a 70 series light duty with a 1kz motor can cost about 10,00000 in good condition, which may be younger and more easy to live with as a daily driver. It might also be give better fuel economy as compared to an older FJ40.
    Also to mention here that i did not know that the military land cruiser 70 series were different than the commercial models. Thats good to know.
    Speaking of registeration, does anyone has any clue? We recently registered a 2012xli in islamabad that was about 60k. I believe just a transfer of a honda civic is about 35-30k. I cant imagine how much will it be to register a 2500cc or a 4000cc suv.
    Again thanks for the commenys and keep em coming.
    Thats very positive that you start thinking of 70 series in your mind as i always say that 90% of us do not need a very very hard core off roader like 40 series with such massive engines as i am saying all this after spending lots and lots of money on all this and almost i am in this madness and Finally come to the point that we switch from cars to Jeeps mainly due to High ground Clearance/ 4X4 /a bit rugged ..So believe me a good 70 series with 1KZ /13BT or any B series engine with at least coil springs at the front is the best choice with in the suggested budget.*
    *and for auctioned vehicle registration cost keep in mind a figure between 25-40 thousand and you can not compare this cost with newly purchased vehicles as in new vehicles we have to pay percentage of the invoice price . and also stay prepared for advance income tax and some other taxes that will be imposed on you after registration while paying token tax.
    *Military have 70 series with some special features like leaf springs at the rear (even their recently *purchased face lift models ) and some bigger engines inside the hood and other things are at the basic level .
    *best wishes in advance for the future purchase but you will learn things more good after you start purchasing one*
    1-Upgrading & Going for maximum performance is my Passion. 2- Hypermilling Really works

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

To make discussion More interesting please look at some HP and torque figures and also keep in mind the advantage of light weight engines as extra benifit.

2F (FJ-40 engine) *have 101KW/135hp and Torque 271 N-m and fuel consumption is between 3-4 Km/litre
    while*
    1Kz Non intercooled version gives you 97Kw/130hp and Torque 287 N-m Fuel consumption b/w 6-10 km/ litre*
    *and *intercooled version 1Kz gives 108Kw/145 HP and torque 343 N-m

So in a off road machine Torque is the most important thing to consider so we can not say any ride hardcore only due to Bulky engine .we also have to consider the new generations into account .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Quattro

registration cost was 36k for my RKR (4000cc) and the annual token tax is 500 + with holding tax 8000. I understand that u'll be using the rig mostly on road, therefore 70 series 2xdoor prado will be ur best bet.
    @UpGrade
    Imran bro, as the intended use of the proposed vehicle is daily driving and almost no hardcore offroading, therefore the light duty 70 series aka prado with a 1kz will do. However, i disagree with the fuel mileage qouted by u bro. the max ive seen with the 1 kz is 6-7 km/l and regarding the 2F the mileage with a new carb is around 5km/l.
    1)Merdcedes W124-Daily driven, 2)Toyota FJ70 RKR-Reliable offroader, 3)Mitsubishi Pajero Shogun-Comfy workshorse, 4)M38A1-Fun ride, 5)Daewoo Racer- Econimically reliable

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Quattro

Bro for you I think 70 series light duty would do the job (though it lacks the softop part) so in case of 70 series you have following options:

1. 70 series with 2lt or 22r would be in your budget but they are underpowered for me atleast.
    2. 70 series with 1kz will be hard to find in your budget
    @UpGrade

Bro, 1kz is an excellent highly complicated 4 cylinder diesel engine with huge low end torque @2000rpm with the help of its turbo spooling from almost start (though you can't get even close to the torque figures quoted by you from a 1kz running on diesel available in Pakistan while you'll get almost the same power figures from a 2f (210ftlb or 284NM @1800rpm)plus its not only torque its low end torque or else you'll be frying clutch plates) . The intercooled version as far as i know never came in 70 series it was made available for surf/4runner. Moreover, the kpl figures quoted by you seems too vague to me as people (like nomanff@pw and a cousin of mine) here are getting around 6-7kpl from 2f and 1kz gives around the same. 10kpl for 1kz seems quite impossible for me atleast.

And would you please stop comparing 1kz (indeed a legendary engine) with 2f (legend for what its made for) they are of different leagues and of different production years (1kz vs 1fz would be somehow of same era). 1kz is a lot more complicated as compared 2f the more the complications the more chances are there for an old vehicle to breakdown (vehciles having 1kz are not new they are here for almost 2 decades). Further as far as i have experienced 6 cylinders as compared 4 cylinders are mostly reliable as in case of a problem for a cylinder (like spark or fuel) you'll get less effected. (and yes im a bit biased about the f series engines )

In offroad applications people mostly dont brag about torque or hp as an offroad or a reliable touring machine is not the vehicle having powerfull engine its a complete package from engine (reliable and power), suspension, differentails, gearbox etc. A single part betrays you and your stuck in the middle of no where.

With best regards.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@azkhan
    Thanks for your input. Reliability is probably the most important here.
    I persobally never like underpowered cars. I would like to mention here that the purpose of this thread is to get a realistic estimation before embarking on a restoration or rebuild project. I personally did not set a budget , therefore if you dont mind suggesting the right the proce for a 70 series with 1kz motor that would be nice.
    I also see your point of the soft top/convertibke option of the fj40 as compared to th 70 series. Dont know how much of that one can really use in pakistan though....

Also looks or presentation wise do you agree tgat 70 series prado looks cheap " hey look thats the best prado i could buy" while FJ 40 may look like an enthusiast car. I might be wrong about this conclusion (input from locals needed).

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Quattro

Brother I dont have the exact idea but a nicely kept 1kz 70 series prado must be around 1.2 million. And I could not even think of considering a 70series prado cheap. Its a beatiful SUVwith good 4x4 capabilities.

For me, softop is a must have option for an enthusiast's jeep (we mostly call 4x4's a jeep here). Its use in Islamabad could be confined to summers or for hunting.

About the enthusiast car again its upto you but for me softop is something that stands out of the crowd let it be 40 or 70 series (in 70series RKR is the availble softop variant and its project would cost you around anywhere .9 to 1.2 million depending on the outcome you want).

Regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by azkhan View Post
    @Quattro

Bro for you I think 70 series light duty would do the job (though it lacks the softop part) so in case of 70 series you have following options:

1. 70 series with 2lt or 22r would be in your budget but they are underpowered for me atleast.
    2. 70 series with 1kz will be hard to find in your budget
    @UpGrade

Bro, 1kz is an excellent highly complicated 4 cylinder diesel engine with huge low end torque @2000rpm with the help of its turbo spooling from almost start (though you can't get even close to the torque figures quoted by you from a 1kz running on diesel available in Pakistan while you'll get almost the same power figures from a 2f (210ftlb or 284NM @1800rpm)plus its not only torque its low end torque or else you'll be frying clutch plates) . The intercooled version as far as i know never came in 70 series it was made available for surf/4runner. Moreover, the kpl figures quoted by you seems too vague to me as people (like nomanff@pw and a cousin of mine) here are getting around 6-7kpl from 2f and 1kz gives around the same. 10kpl for 1kz seems quite impossible for me atleast.

And would you please stop comparing 1kz (indeed a legendary engine) with 2f (legend for what its made for) they are of different leagues and of different production years (1kz vs 1fz would be somehow of same era). 1kz is a lot more complicated as compared 2f the more the complications the more chances are there for an old vehicle to breakdown (vehciles having 1kz are not new they are here for almost 2 decades). Further as far as i have experienced 6 cylinders as compared 4 cylinders are mostly reliable as in case of a problem for a cylinder (like spark or fuel) you'll get less effected. (and yes im a bit biased about the f series engines )

In offroad applications people mostly dont brag about torque or hp as an offroad or a reliable touring machine is not the vehicle having powerfull engine its a complete package from engine (reliable and power), suspension, differentails, gearbox etc. A single part betrays you and your stuck in the middle of no where.

With best regards.
    @azkhan

Dear your opinion is good and keep in mind that i never want to underestimate F series engines as they are the longest produced engines from toyota due to their long life. and on 1KZ part once we have experienced that much average in an surf practically .
    if i have that much budget i simply buy a 70 series with 2L and on the 2nd day it will be equipped with 1KD or 2KD .
    and poster now its time for you to learn things by buying one .

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Considering your use as 2nd car with reasonable mileage in town drive.
    Be careful with 1KZ [Costly, serious head cracking issues observed on extreme usage and expensive to rebuild] it will not mate with your H42 4-speed transmission and transmission replacement means diff change.
    So, If you have heavy balls, go for 6-cyl I6 (8-9 Km/l: 13B-T, 12H-T, 1HD-T and 1HZ) engine mat with your H42 no diff change or you can replace H42 with H55 5-speed transmission at later stage. Second option, go for 1UZ (V8, 9 Km/l) with transmission manual or auto less expensive but complex electronics and not suitable for hardcore off-roading.
    I have passed all this and finally going for 12H-T with existing H42 4-speed trans, excellent diesel engine (direct Injection) ever build by Toyota, low noise, no preheat required. 13B-T is good but very hard to find in good condition.
    Do remember patience is name of the game. Mechanics will make your "chay" and you will be in trouble.
    Abdul Rauf
    !!!Save Unimogs……………!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thinking of building a &quotNice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future -1115086Thinking of building a &quotNice" FJ40 for daily driver in the near future -1115087
    a little brainstorming

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Where do you buy Alloy Rims and Tyres, I am looking for my Land Rover defender.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

User Tag List