8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review

I just test drove new Pakistan assembled Toyota Fortuner 2013. Here's my review of the vehicle along with some pictures I was able to take.

Exterior: 7/10 - I saw the one in dark gray mica color and it looked pretty nice. It has a fresh design with nice curves and style. I would personally prefer white color though.

Dashboard: 5/10 - Those driving Civics, Premios, Mark X and Surf are not going to be excited about it. It's pretty basic. Although they have given leather steering and black piano trim it still doesn't spark. DVD, gear and speedometer is also average. Nothing stands out.

Interior: 6/10 - Tan leather seats and overall ambiance inside the cabin gives it a nice look and there's nothing out of ordinary. However, it feel pretty congested and 3 normal sized people would be tight sitting in the 2nd row. 3rd row is very tight and only 10-12 year old children would fit in there.

Drive: 5/10 - It felt quite stiff and heavy. You cannot compare it's ride to Prado or Land Cruiser. At a speed of 100 km/hr it didn't feel very stable on a bumpy road. I believe it will have stability issues on motor way where there are heavy gusts of wind in some areas as well as on curvy roads at high speeds.

Engine: 6/10 - The engine isn't under powered; it's just about the right size. It didn't feel sluggish. You won't be able to drag race it with Corolla or Civic though. I know we are going to complain about fuel consumption because it's all time 4WD which isn't going to be a good idea since it's a city car.

Price: 4/10 - Now it all comes down to the price which IMC hasn't announced yet but most probably it's 5.2 million. So the question is how much are you willing to throw away for a car that's 6/10 in Pakistani market. Since we have seen comparison of prices of Fortuner with other countries in different threads I am going to repeat the same thing. After seeing and driving it I am more convinced that this car belongs in around 4.2 million bracket. My limit to purchase this car would be 4.5 million. There's no way I am spending 5.2 million on it and after taxes and registration it would be around 5.8 million. Sorry, IMC but I am not up for that.

Bottom line: All in all it's not a bad car to own and drive but it felt like an upgrade or big brother of Vigo and then it all comes down to value for money. You need to see what you get in return of the money you spend. I would personally either prefer a Surf or a Mercedes in 4 million range and if I have to spend close to 6 million then I am going for a Prado. Yes, there are people who would buy it for even 7 million and consider it a good price for a "brand new" car but I am not willing to go down that road. IMC would have difficult time selling it over 4.5 million. The Sales Manager at Toyota dealership also said that this car will sell itself at 4.5 million but at 5.2 million it will be very difficult. Initially they might get a good response but it will eventually slow down.

Price Comparison: I did a small price comparison with different countries. I used current foreign currency exchange rate. I wonder why is there a minor difference in the price of Altis and Fortuner in other countries and why do we have to pay almost 3 times in Pakistan for Fortuner? I believe that's because Fortuner is not considered a luxury car in other countries and they think of it as an upgrade to a pickup truck. You can see Altis is cheaper in Pakistan than most of the countries then why not Fortuner?

Country Altis 1.8L Fortuner 2.7L
    India 2,616,838 4,041,730
    Thailand 2,957,710 4,158,560
    UAE 1,909,050 3,404,250
    Philippines 2,795,100 3,334,760
    Pakistan 2,084,000 5,175,000

Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133528
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133525
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133526
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133523
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133527
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133524

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by lexative_2000 View Post
    I saw very few specific people cursing locally assembled vehicles and many many more people buying, waiting, cheering with the same locally assembled "poor quality" rollas and vigos and maybe with Fortuner in future as well.

kiya yeh khula tazaad nahi??

By the way, I checked the source of that roll-over story, got only one blogger in Newzealand who complaint about that. Later I searched and found that roll over is commonly poorer in high-raised bodies as compared to Sedans (see what Arabs do with Luxury SUVs like Hummer, LX570 and Nissan Patrol).

Speaking with maturity and practicality, Indus is the only profiting company compared to Honda and Suzuki which show poor financial performance. Even though Suzuki is making really cheap quality cars at very high price as everybody complains. That's the reason perhaps no new car assemblers is willing to come to Pakistan. Hyundai, Chinese, VW everyone studied PK market back in 2004-06 but nobody really entered.

Lets keep demanding Japanese quality but be ready to pay for it. Isn't it injustice to ask for same quality but at price of 5 years old vehicle? 2007 Civic 1.8 SR is being sold for 990,000. will it look sane if I ask Honda to sell new Civic 1.8 SR at 990,000?

ZARA SOCHIYE...
    i posted a link in this thread which showed many people all of whom had families and friends injured in rolled over fortuners.

its a shame when you buy 5.2 million SUV go 90km/h with your family, on a straight road it starts fishtailing and gets out of control.rolls over. kills your children.

anyway local fortuner cannot be compared with thailand ones. they have safety equipment which prevents roll over. toyota recalled many old fortuners to install that as well. so what is indus going to do when some of these new vehicles roll over and kill their drivers? will indus be able to sell anymore of them? you get 50 of them on the road and even if one rolls over nobody is going to buy another. 5.2 million gets people thinking.

i waited for it for 8 months now im out. went to see BMWs liked the brand new 316i ......it is 4.8 million ex lahore. imagine a brand new fully german assembled luxury icon BMW in 4.8 mill.

its beautiful inside and out. gives 16 km/litre with a good bi-turbo engine. adaptive suspension, sport eco normal modes which change the dynamics of the car.......... highly equipped vehicle and the fortuner is 4 lac more expensive than that. . . just bcz its an SUV......... who cares? its not a proper SUV anyway. just a covered up daala.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

by the way for people who think this is not a big enough problem this articlee was printed in South Africas magazine "Drive out "
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1141733

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Do you have detailed specs of BMW and prices of different variants available? Do you have to order or is it ex-showroom? I am more inclined towards Mercedes but I think I will take a look before finalizing Mercedes. Of course German cars are the best in world.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ crankshaft I have no answer for you. If you think you are not wasting your money then sure go ahead and buy it. I have always said that there are people who will always think it's a good price but for me it's always about value for money and I am not getting that from Fortuner at 5.2 million. Make sure to test drive it before you make a final decision. It was not very comfortable at high speeds and bumpy roads. Personally I don't like the cabin also. Very plain and simple.

@lexative_2000 Since you are very well aware of the inside news of IMC, can you shed some light on their logic of pricing it higher when this could be priced at least a million less and be a very popular SUV in Pakistan?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kala_shah_kaku View Post
    Do you have detailed specs of BMW and prices of different variants available? Do you have to order or is it ex-showroom? I am more inclined towards Mercedes but I think I will take a look before finalizing Mercedes. Of course German cars are the best in world.
    yes i have those...
    there three trims, modern ,luxury and sport. luxury one is best...
    base car is 4.8 million, with much equipment standard like the lcd , bmws i drive system all the sensors, all modes multimedia and everything...but has manual transmission..ypu can upgrade that to the 8 speed auto. other options are a
    so available like sunroof bigger tires etc.... it has 1.6 litre turbocharged engine, and lightweightbody to keep the power up... no turbo lag in this latest bmw engine... button start and key fobs are also standard. i started it up sounds great too. 4.8 is ex showroom lahore price you can have yours made with custom options but you have to wait for few months for that. its german assembled.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

by the way i went to check out the mercs too but few months back...is there anynew stock available there? last time they had one red c180 on dsiplay.. whats the latest prices c180?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am talking about 2009-2010 imported Mercs. They are around 4 million with AMG package around 4.5 million. You can't beat a fully loaded AMG Mercedes. These are as good as new, mostly UK imports and better kept than Japanese cars. Mostly they have under 30k miles. Mercedes generally also has better resale in Pakistan. I think I'll also visit Dewan motors over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by mani9999 View Post
    by the way i went to check out the mercs too but few months back...is there anynew stock available there? last time they had one red c180 on dsiplay.. whats the latest prices c180?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@ crankshaft I have no answer for you. If you think you are not wasting your money then sure go ahead and buy it. I have always said that there are people who will always think it's a good price but for me it's always about value for money and I am not getting that from Fortuner at 5.2 million. Make sure to test drive it before you make a final decision. It was not very comfortable at high speeds and bumpy roads. Personally I don't like the cabin also. Very plain and simple.

@lexative_2000 Since you are very well aware of the inside news of IMC, can you shed some light on their logic of pricing it higher when this could be priced at least a million less and be a very popular SUV in Pakistan?
    I tried inquiring details of pricing but they didn't speak up. My forecast of rupee is 102 Rs/$ by May end, if I take @mani9999 's post, I can predict: If they increase the price without rupee drops below 102 before May then they are after margins, if they hold prices until rupee hits 102 it looks like same as their Vigo's price history. Anyway, reality could only be found in May/Jun.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am talking about 2009-2010 imported Mercs. They are around 4 million with AMG package around 4.5 million. You can't beat a fully loaded AMG Mercedes. These are as good as new, mostly UK imports and better kept than Japanese cars. Mostly they have under 30k miles. Mercedes generally also has better resale in Pakistan. I think I'll also visit Dewan motors over the weekend.
    nothing beats a brand new merc.........used ones are always getting some sensor related issues............but if there are good ones you know do post i would like to see them too.

cars with all the history are great.....guaranteed mileage......... i always thought the amg ones should be avoided bcz they get harsh treatment from their first owners and then sold off early.........

if you find any good SUVs post here too.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Aoa,

Dear Brothers,

I think the Bottom line is "Value for Money"....I have driven all the vehicles my brothers Prado 2003 Diesel 3.0D Manual....Then he Bought Vigo Champ 2012 Sold it and then Again Bought Prado 2007 2.7L Automatic....Drive Quality score Between the Two is Maybe 65 Vigo and 100 Prado...Not to mention the Elite Status Prado has in the Market and the Reputation that it has as a proven SUV and a Far better Interior and Features along with the Much Better RESALE Value. Fortuner may score 75 in Drive Quality due to better rear suspension but the Difference will be there.

I am a Business man and i do not think that IMC is doing anything wrong on moral ground to ask for 5.2Mil even though i have read the Comparison prices for the Other Countries....They have a Business to Run and Profit to make as long as they do not Employ anti Competitive tactics...Considering all the other countries and their business Environment and the Conditions in which we have to do Business in Pakistan with 9hr+ load shedding + Corrupt officials asking for bribes on various account and the security situation and strikes now and then and very shaky Rupee which impacts the imports and uncertain Taxation laws. I would say that its not easy to make a profitable business here.

Having said all that... my prediction is that if they Price Fortuner at 5.2Mil....They are taking a risky road because then the Difference between a Used Prado and Fortuner is next to nothing ....And if any IMC sales agent comes to Compare Prado to Fortuner...I would recommend everyone to Point out to them their own Asking Price for a Prado as compared to a Fortuner as both being new...The only Edge Fortuner will have is that it will get Local Banks Financing while a Used Prado in the Same price Range would require hard cash due to Being older than 5 Years and unable to Finance through a Bank.

For Making a Pakistani Fortuner a Success story i would agree with the other posters that it should be priced reasonably more likely in the range of 4.0-4.7Mil with more than one trim level to suit to Customers various needs and For Gods Sake offer a Beige Dash rather that grey and Get Rid of that horrible Plastic and have it Rubberized so that it does not feel that cheap for such an expensive vehicle...lighter Colors makes the Car look more Spacious and thus more Luxurious.

Well thats my 2 Cents for all its worth....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

amg in 4.5 million hahahahaha what amg is that ahmed muton gosht because a c63 amg will cost atleast 1.8 crore to 2 crore and there are none in pakistan just so u know dont call amg bodykitted c class an amg thats a disgrace to the word AMG!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

wah jee wah!! bara knowledge hai aap ka Mercedes k baray mein. I bet you have only read the prices online. Anyway, we are not talking about brand new amg Mercedes. We are all talking about the ones available in Pakistan and of course it's a body kit.

Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    amg in 4.5 million hahahahaha what amg is that ahmed muton gosht because a c63 amg will cost atleast 1.8 crore to 2 crore and there are none in pakistan just so u know dont call amg bodykitted c class an amg thats a disgrace to the word AMG!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good post @ MrIce but I think it should be priced between 4.2 to 4.4 million otherwise it will not see much sales. It will be out of reach of a large chunk of buyers.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think your not really educated when it comes to amg let me teach you. The price I quoted is of a used c63 amg and the so called c180 you are reffering to as amgs only have an amg body kit so calling the ride an amg is totally wrong. If you hear the growl of an amg in real life ull probably fall down thats how hardcore they are this is coming from a person who had a s63 amg cheers!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Come on yaar! Who is comparing C class to S. It's like comparing CD70 to Civic. I was merely talking about the C180 available in Pakistan and you knew that too but you just wanted to show off that you had S63 and extensive knowledge of Mercedes. Although I haven't had or driven S class AMG but I have seen and heard plenty and I didn't fall Take it easy. Just so you don't think I am new to these cars or know nothing about them; I have had a non-AMG E class, Escalade and Navigator. And when it comes to engine sound Escalades have one of the best.
    Again, let's just focus on Fortuner here and any other options available in that price range

Quote Originally Posted by john2 View Post
    I think your not really educated when it comes to amg let me teach you. The price I quoted is of a used c63 amg and the so called c180 you are reffering to as amgs only have an amg body kit so calling the ride an amg is totally wrong. If you hear the growl of an amg in real life ull probably fall down thats how hardcore they are this is coming from a person who had a s63 amg cheers!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

forget amgs....this post is about fortuners and they were supposed to launch it first week of march.......?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am seeing "Taiz" Ads in newspapers. Probably it's "Taiz gaam Fortuner" lol. One dealer told me 8th March is the official launch date. Any idea how many bookings were they able to take at 1 million?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

dont know anybody who paid that. dealers wanted to get the bookings pretty bad. dont think there are many people going for it.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Official date is 8th March. Toyota Walton is after us to provide them space at our PakWheels Lahore Event. As per Toyota Walton Sale Manager, they have booked 10+ Fortuners. I personally found Fortuner ugly in looks. Still, fingers crossed for IMC.
    http://www.sohcmydohc.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You can't trust what these dealers say. On the very first day they received Fortuner and I went for test drive they told me they already have 5 bookings. After 3 days he called to tell me that 5.2 million is the final price and they now have 10 bookings. By that they should have at least 100 bookings until now.
    As far as looks are concerned I am also not liking it anymore when I look at the pictures I took. May be it's the color. I initially gave it 7 for looks but now I think it's 5. However, I think it will look nice on roads specially in black and white color.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

User Tag List