8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review

I just test drove new Pakistan assembled Toyota Fortuner 2013. Here's my review of the vehicle along with some pictures I was able to take.

Exterior: 7/10 - I saw the one in dark gray mica color and it looked pretty nice. It has a fresh design with nice curves and style. I would personally prefer white color though.

Dashboard: 5/10 - Those driving Civics, Premios, Mark X and Surf are not going to be excited about it. It's pretty basic. Although they have given leather steering and black piano trim it still doesn't spark. DVD, gear and speedometer is also average. Nothing stands out.

Interior: 6/10 - Tan leather seats and overall ambiance inside the cabin gives it a nice look and there's nothing out of ordinary. However, it feel pretty congested and 3 normal sized people would be tight sitting in the 2nd row. 3rd row is very tight and only 10-12 year old children would fit in there.

Drive: 5/10 - It felt quite stiff and heavy. You cannot compare it's ride to Prado or Land Cruiser. At a speed of 100 km/hr it didn't feel very stable on a bumpy road. I believe it will have stability issues on motor way where there are heavy gusts of wind in some areas as well as on curvy roads at high speeds.

Engine: 6/10 - The engine isn't under powered; it's just about the right size. It didn't feel sluggish. You won't be able to drag race it with Corolla or Civic though. I know we are going to complain about fuel consumption because it's all time 4WD which isn't going to be a good idea since it's a city car.

Price: 4/10 - Now it all comes down to the price which IMC hasn't announced yet but most probably it's 5.2 million. So the question is how much are you willing to throw away for a car that's 6/10 in Pakistani market. Since we have seen comparison of prices of Fortuner with other countries in different threads I am going to repeat the same thing. After seeing and driving it I am more convinced that this car belongs in around 4.2 million bracket. My limit to purchase this car would be 4.5 million. There's no way I am spending 5.2 million on it and after taxes and registration it would be around 5.8 million. Sorry, IMC but I am not up for that.

Bottom line: All in all it's not a bad car to own and drive but it felt like an upgrade or big brother of Vigo and then it all comes down to value for money. You need to see what you get in return of the money you spend. I would personally either prefer a Surf or a Mercedes in 4 million range and if I have to spend close to 6 million then I am going for a Prado. Yes, there are people who would buy it for even 7 million and consider it a good price for a "brand new" car but I am not willing to go down that road. IMC would have difficult time selling it over 4.5 million. The Sales Manager at Toyota dealership also said that this car will sell itself at 4.5 million but at 5.2 million it will be very difficult. Initially they might get a good response but it will eventually slow down.

Price Comparison: I did a small price comparison with different countries. I used current foreign currency exchange rate. I wonder why is there a minor difference in the price of Altis and Fortuner in other countries and why do we have to pay almost 3 times in Pakistan for Fortuner? I believe that's because Fortuner is not considered a luxury car in other countries and they think of it as an upgrade to a pickup truck. You can see Altis is cheaper in Pakistan than most of the countries then why not Fortuner?

Country Altis 1.8L Fortuner 2.7L
    India 2,616,838 4,041,730
    Thailand 2,957,710 4,158,560
    UAE 1,909,050 3,404,250
    Philippines 2,795,100 3,334,760
    Pakistan 2,084,000 5,175,000

Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133528
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133525
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133526
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133523
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133527
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133524

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by may5 View Post
    Bro first of all the vigo has a 2.5L TURBO charged engine, Its a 2.5L D-4D Turbo diesel engine, Its torque is good but lacks in horsepower, and You said who is their right mind would drive a 2.7 instead of 3.0L ? well, worldwide Everyone would preffer a petrol 2.7L instead of a weak 3.0 D-4D ( non turbo) but in pak , yes you are right =-)
    Oh gosh...
    The indus 2.5 litre is turbo(2.5 L 75 kW (101 hp) I42KD-FTVturbo diesel only) but the thai 2.5 litre is Vn turbo(2.5 L 106 kW (142 hp) I42KD-FTVintercooledVN turbodiesel) and about the 2.7 litre petrol(2.7 L 118 kW (158 hp) I42TR-FE) engine it lacks torque and the 3.0 D4d(3.0 L 121 kW (162 hp) I41KD-FTVintercooledVN turbodiesel) is much better in that case.
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review - icon1

take a look... Used Toyota Tundra 2007 Car for sale in Karachi - 552165 | PakWheels

5.2 million ki substandard local assembled daala conversion lene ki bjae ye Toyota Tundra fully loaded.... 4.7million ki lele bnda....... aur jo 5 million bchein wo iska fuel lene <acronym title="Google Page Ranking" style="border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 1px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; font-variant: normal; border-bottom-style: dotted; border-bottom-color: rgb(0, 0, 0); cursor: help; ">pr</acronym> lgae (5.7 litre engine) .... lolz practical nahi but just to see k 5.2 million ma kia kuch askta aur ye fortuner ktna overpriced ha...............

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Indus Motors Ripping us off

Indus Motors thinks it can fool those people who were clever enough to earn 5.2 million Rs just to buy a car ? think again IMC.

toyota dealer sent me a letter saying "its the launch of a LUXURY suv......which is a status symbol , symbol of power and bla bla. . . ."

they think they can fool us with their words? its a glorified hilux daala...... they price it 12 lacs more than anywhere in the world and expect us to be blown away by their P.C sneak previews.... . . . .

Heres what Dewan Motors is offering.......... a PROPER luxury vehicle... made in Germany, completly imported.. NO Lota quality plastics inside....... lolx ............its a BMW 3 series ......brand new comes out to be 4.5 million Rs........ about 10 lacs less than Hilux daala conversion made in pakistan.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Since Hilux Vigo champ is the same thing as Fortuner, just without the 3rd row of seats. . . and its best variant is 34 Lacs..

We can easily make our OWN fortuner....

Heres the logic... the only thing bad about the VIgo champ was its rear suspension, a pickup suspension that is. Now the fortuner is based on the same chasis but has different suspension fitted.....

what if I buy a Vigo champ and fit Fortuner's spring suspension at the back. (Indus has to sell fortuner parts.and we know it fits)

now my Vigo has same suspension, same chasis, same interior as in Fortuner.

I talked to canopy supplier and he said 90K would get me a steel canopy (U.S design) fitted.plus two seats and carpetting. (and its much better than the MARKS canopy)

I would like more power out of the engine, so I'll get an intercooler from thailand. ( we know it fits too because its standard on thai vigo. it could be. 50k max)

Lets get Leather seats too(custom made with proper plush pakistani leather not the crap indus gives.....50 k)

Total spent= 34 lacs(vigo champ) + 90k(canopy) + 60k (springs+dampers)+50k (leather seats)+50k (intercooler)

= 36.5 lacs only

its seriously cool looking and has more power and torque than the petrol 2.7 engine......... it costs 15.5 lacs less than the fortuner..........

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

+1 to the modifications suggested by mani9999
    I have been waiting for Fortuner for over 6 months but IMC has really disappointed about the price. I am now seriously thinking about buying a Mercedes or BMW. I would prefer the latest shape 2008-2009 Mercedes anyday over this overly expensive SUV. Here are a couple of links
    Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180 Komp 2008 Car for sale in Islamabad - 559985 | PakWheels
    Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180 Komp 2008 Car for sale in Lahore - 547983 | PakWheels

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kala_shah_kaku View Post
    +1 to the modifications suggested by mani9999
    I have been waiting for Fortuner for over 6 months but IMC has really disappointed about the price. I am now seriously thinking about buying a Mercedes or BMW. I would prefer the latest shape 2008-2009 Mercedes anyday over this overly expensive SUV. Here are a couple of links
    Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180 Komp 2008 Car for sale in Islamabad - 559985 | PakWheels
    Used Mercedes Benz C Class C 180 Komp 2008 Car for sale in Lahore - 547983 | PakWheels

If SUV was your requirement than I am very sure, with my humble knowledge that a sedan is NOT a replacement for an SUV ...
    Education is not any Degree or Certificate.
    Education is the our attitude,language & behaviour with others in life............!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would love to drive SUV but it's not my absolute need. I don't need it for off roading. 95% of the people driving SUVs don't essentially take it off road. Mostly SUV are used as big/huge trophy cars that offer luxurious ride and more seating capacity and that's what I also wanted. I also wanted Fortuner because it's NEW + SUV but the price IMC announced has really disappointed me. If I have to spend that much money then I am better off in a German luxury car or a bigger better SUV like Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by umair2203 View Post
    If SUV was your requirement than I am very sure, with my humble knowledge that a sedan is NOT a replacement for an SUV ...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I would love to drive SUV but it's not my absolute need. I don't need it for off roading. 95% of the people driving SUVs don't essentially take it off road. Mostly SUV are used as big/huge trophy cars that offer luxurious ride and more seating capacity and that's what I also wanted. I also wanted Fortuner because it's NEW + SUV but the price IMC announced has really disappointed me. If I have to spend that much money then I am better off in a German luxury car or a bigger better SUV like Prado.

I agree with you ... somebody quoted that Vigo and Fortunner share the same frame ... true ? or most of the parts are same ... I should had been below the psychological mark of 5 million ( 4.3 would a competitive price in my opinion ) ... but you know what the irony is ....

we all crib about Indus prices ... like who can justify XLI for 1.6 million but still see the sales figures ... Corolla is still the highest selling Sedan of Pakistan. Big shots in IMC must have done a thorough market study before investing in this project because for them every penny counts.

Keeping this aside , I have the hands on experience of importing CKDs , SKDs and full modules ( in official capacity and NOT related to automotive ) ... duty on a individual part/LRU (line replaceable unit) comes out to be around 35% , NO KIDDING ... and on top of it , they pay the Sales tax .. I am NOT justifying price , just reminding you

I am Not sure about Indus margins, but Honda Atlas takes 90K on each Civic sold in which they have to satisfy all the utility bills, salaries and misc expenses ...
    Education is the our attitude,language & behaviour with others in life............!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

these mercs look really clean. and appears so mileage is not tampered with.

im looking at sedans now for the same reason. had been waiting for fortuner for 8 months and now IMC has overpriced it. Not worth the cash they are asking.

I dnt believe anybody has actually paid the 1 million advance............dealers are lying to get orders....... mine was saying aap pehle he book kra lein ni to bd ma shaid na mile......lolz............ 2000 units inhon ne apne papa jee ko gift krne hain shaid...........

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice review. Price is too much. There is the 2wd lever, then how come you can't change from 4wd to 2wd.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The only survey they had done is for short term, may be 1st year sales projection. Yes, there's a demand of SUV in Pakistan and Yes it will sell for a while but once everyone who is stupid enough to throw away 5.8 million has purchased it then who will they sell it to? I know there are duties on imported items but the individuals parts are very cheap specially when purchased in bulk quantity. And do you think they declare original prices on invoices for taxing purposes? I highly doubt that. There are duties in other countries too but if IMC can sell Altis cheaper than other countries then what's wrong with Fortuner? Only time will tell if keeping price low and selling in huge numbers is a better strategy than having it priced higher and sell lesser units.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, there's lever but even their brochure states that it's all time 4WD. Someone more technical could shed some light on it.

Quote Originally Posted by tausifs View Post
    Nice review. Price is too much. There is the 2wd lever, then how come you can't change from 4wd to 2wd.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i'd say they are doing market research now........... all the events in PC and stuff....and they are asking people are you going to buy this at 5.2 million?

in start they believed those people who said they think the price is right. but then some guy at IMC realized those people just came for free juice...........lolz

and they started asking 1 million in 'advance booking' to make sure the people are serious. they are not. nobody is putting up for a car that might fail ............

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You are right, if IMC was serious about it and did their home work they would have announced the price right from the start. But I see another problem, there are enough fools who would be putting down advance payments. There are a lot of people with "haram ke kamai" or "baap ka maal" who don't care about how much it costs or if it's a fair price or not. They just want to show off their new car. They will certainly be fooled by sales agents saying "itnay mein toe used Prado bhe nahi aati, iss say behter price he nahi". Such people will make IMC think "Wow! there is huge demand for this car" but after 6 months they will just be producing cars with 0 sales, like it happened to Vigo. I would like to see the faces of their market research department at that time.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You are right, if IMC was serious about it and did their home work they would have announced the price right from the start. But I see another problem, there are enough fools who would be putting down advance payments. There are a lot of people with "haram ke kamai" or "baap ka maal" who don't care about how much it costs or if it's a fair price or not. They just want to show off their new car. They will certainly be fooled by sales agents saying "itnay mein toe used Prado bhe nahi aati, iss say behter price he nahi". Such people will make IMC think "Wow! there is huge demand for this car" but after 6 months they will just be producing cars with 0 sales, like it happened to Vigo. I would like to see the faces of their market research department at that time.
    IMC sold 2,200+ Vigos in last 7 months. See the PAMA statistics sheet

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Look at Vigo's price too. It's almost half of Fortuner. I was ready to buy it if it wasn't cheap interior. By just covering up the back and putting leather seats doesn't justify a price raise of 2 million. Secondly, the sales are not what they projected. Their sales people confirm that Vigo has very slow sales and according to them it's a flop. I am also not denying that they will not be able to sell Fortuner. Of course it will sell but the question is, will it be a popular car and the answer is no.
    If they want to kill sales of imported luxury cars in 4 million range then they have to price it accordingly.
    My point is that they have a huge market segment that wants to upgrade from Civic, Premio, Prius, Mark X etc. These people can spend 4 million but not 5.5 or 6 million. While comparing prices of Toyota cars in other countries I don't see a reason why it can't be priced around 4 million. They are simply trying to rip us off here.

Quote Originally Posted by umair2203 View Post
    IMC sold 2,200+ Vigos in last 7 months. See the PAMA statistics sheet

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

IMC targets Large Companies(price tag is not an issue) where Employees are bound to get a new car and sometimes for some higher Posts they get a option of SUV.
    Honda Civic 99 EK Hatch / Honda Integra 92 DA Coupe
    RIP Adil( @AridSoul)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

How many companies are there like that? Only a company head would be eligible for this vehicle. They are not going to give it to every employee. Moreover, the budgets are limited to Corolla or maximum Civic. They are not going to increase it 3 times. Company making a billion rupees per year profit would give their CEO this SUV and I guess there might only be 1000 companies like that in Pakistan. However, price it low and capture that market too.

Quote Originally Posted by HAshims View Post
    IMC targets Large Companies(price tag is not an issue) where Employees are bound to get a new car and sometimes for some higher Posts they get a option of SUV.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

seems like they don't really want to sell a lot of the fortuners....100 maybe ? they must know that people with "haram ki kamai" can afford landcruisers. government departments are bound by the 1300cc law. private organizations would only spend that much for a ceo... doctrs lawyers etc are not willing to go into 4.5+ region... waderas dont want a compact suv that looks like their guard's daala. politicians use second hand or new landcruisers or prados mostly non tax payed... even. the people who would pay anything for a new suv are thinking what if it is also underpowered like the vigo champ? would i be stuck with a 5.3 million mistake ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1135175@all its 4wd but doesnt have 2wd options as the lever is only for putting in High4wd n Hl n then L....so tht mean fuel average wont be above 6-6.5km/l as i ve thai vigo 2700cc with 4wd options not all time 4wd gave me around 6.5km/l within city drive
    My lugnuts require more torque than your Vtec can put out...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

User Tag List