8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review

I just test drove new Pakistan assembled Toyota Fortuner 2013. Here's my review of the vehicle along with some pictures I was able to take.

Exterior: 7/10 - I saw the one in dark gray mica color and it looked pretty nice. It has a fresh design with nice curves and style. I would personally prefer white color though.

Dashboard: 5/10 - Those driving Civics, Premios, Mark X and Surf are not going to be excited about it. It's pretty basic. Although they have given leather steering and black piano trim it still doesn't spark. DVD, gear and speedometer is also average. Nothing stands out.

Interior: 6/10 - Tan leather seats and overall ambiance inside the cabin gives it a nice look and there's nothing out of ordinary. However, it feel pretty congested and 3 normal sized people would be tight sitting in the 2nd row. 3rd row is very tight and only 10-12 year old children would fit in there.

Drive: 5/10 - It felt quite stiff and heavy. You cannot compare it's ride to Prado or Land Cruiser. At a speed of 100 km/hr it didn't feel very stable on a bumpy road. I believe it will have stability issues on motor way where there are heavy gusts of wind in some areas as well as on curvy roads at high speeds.

Engine: 6/10 - The engine isn't under powered; it's just about the right size. It didn't feel sluggish. You won't be able to drag race it with Corolla or Civic though. I know we are going to complain about fuel consumption because it's all time 4WD which isn't going to be a good idea since it's a city car.

Price: 4/10 - Now it all comes down to the price which IMC hasn't announced yet but most probably it's 5.2 million. So the question is how much are you willing to throw away for a car that's 6/10 in Pakistani market. Since we have seen comparison of prices of Fortuner with other countries in different threads I am going to repeat the same thing. After seeing and driving it I am more convinced that this car belongs in around 4.2 million bracket. My limit to purchase this car would be 4.5 million. There's no way I am spending 5.2 million on it and after taxes and registration it would be around 5.8 million. Sorry, IMC but I am not up for that.

Bottom line: All in all it's not a bad car to own and drive but it felt like an upgrade or big brother of Vigo and then it all comes down to value for money. You need to see what you get in return of the money you spend. I would personally either prefer a Surf or a Mercedes in 4 million range and if I have to spend close to 6 million then I am going for a Prado. Yes, there are people who would buy it for even 7 million and consider it a good price for a "brand new" car but I am not willing to go down that road. IMC would have difficult time selling it over 4.5 million. The Sales Manager at Toyota dealership also said that this car will sell itself at 4.5 million but at 5.2 million it will be very difficult. Initially they might get a good response but it will eventually slow down.

Price Comparison: I did a small price comparison with different countries. I used current foreign currency exchange rate. I wonder why is there a minor difference in the price of Altis and Fortuner in other countries and why do we have to pay almost 3 times in Pakistan for Fortuner? I believe that's because Fortuner is not considered a luxury car in other countries and they think of it as an upgrade to a pickup truck. You can see Altis is cheaper in Pakistan than most of the countries then why not Fortuner?

Country Altis 1.8L Fortuner 2.7L
    India 2,616,838 4,041,730
    Thailand 2,957,710 4,158,560
    UAE 1,909,050 3,404,250
    Philippines 2,795,100 3,334,760
    Pakistan 2,084,000 5,175,000

Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133528
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133525
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133526
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133523
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133527
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133524

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Hiace is imported(i think it is) so what ever engine it has does not matter.
    Yes they had one hiace there 2.7l fully japan assembled in 40 lacs. Makes u wonder y the hell is local fortuner so damn expensive.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Two nice options available around 45 lacs that I would prefer over Fortuner since it has better interior, JDM import and a bad @$$ look.

Used Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-G 2008 Car for sale in Karachi - 560397 | PakWheels
    Used Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X LIMITED 2005 Car for sale in Peshawar - 547243 | PakWheels

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    12 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pradolover View Post
    +1

toyota designed fortuner for asian markets , fortuner has good off road ability
    some people said hilux vigo per body laga di fortuner ban gaya wht a funny
    any company design any vehicle first they design according 2 weather conditions ,road conditons n needs of people if pakistanis need toyota tundra 100% they can launch tundra here

100% true. No doubt it is the best off-roader. I am not too worried about the price either. Let's talk facts. What is its average on CNG?
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great! You want to spend close to 6 million on a car and drive it on CNG. Only in Pakistan!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by mani9999 View Post
    the dealer mentioned the new vigo would be even more pricier than the older one............... doesn't look like it would have the 2.7 litre engine........... this is the same engine we have nowadays in toyota hiace.......
    2TR-FE 2700cc vvti is the popular toyota engine be it in hiace or tacoma or vigo
    My lugnuts require more torque than your Vtec can put out...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

bro its in first gen tacoma 1995_2004 (3rz fe)

n in second gen tacoma its (2TR -FE) present

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its 2TR-FE if u can read on toyota US website

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

so what happened with the price? did they finalize on the overpricing ? 5.2 million ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    I am more interested in the Vigo will it be offered in 2.7 litre engine or not. As producing one engine(which fits fortuner and vigo) will be cost effective
    Since everythings imported, Its only buying cost for Indus motors, So i doubt if getting similar engines has its benefits, In case of Honda Civic, I guess the duties are same for 1.8L and 1.6L so 1.8L was a better option so they opted for the same engine option, Im still not sure about the structure thou.
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kala_shah_kaku View Post
    Two nice options available around 45 lacs that I would prefer over Fortuner since it has better interior, JDM import and a bad @$$ look.

Used Toyota Hilux Surf SSR-X LIMITED 2005 Car for sale in Peshawar - 547243 | PakWheels
    2008, 45 ? did you call the guy to check it?
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

2 dealers told me it's final price. One insists that IMC will announce it on 8th March and will decide after feedback from sneak preview. That's the dealer who invited me to PC preview show. However, the other 2 dealers had no clue about the PC event until 2 days ago but one of them had already received the test car last week that I reviewed. So it's all confusion right now, nothing is confirmed but in my personal opinion IMC won't go below 5 million figure. It would take a miracle and a real genius marketing head to price it around 4 million.

so what happened with the price? did they finalize on the overpricing ? 5.2 million ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

yeah well not a rupee above 4.5 million. im out. i dnt do much offroading anyway..so better have imported BMW than a local covered daala.

Indus motors could have had a big success with this but they ruined it getting greedy.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I just watched a Youtube video of a Fortuner review in India. It was a 3.0L diesel and they mentioned that the latest 2012 model comes with Vehicle Stability Control. I then checked Toyota Thailand website and found that they also offer VSC and TRC (Traction Control System) in 3.0L models but not in 2.7L. Here's the link Specifications - New Fortuner - Toyota Motor Thailand Co.,Ltd.
    So I am guessing Pakistan Fortuner comes without VSC and TRC. With so many flipping horror stories IMC should have given both these options. We now also need to ask IMC if Fortuner comes with redesigned rear suspension which was also one of the ways to avoid flipping.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am now having serious doubts in buying this vehicle even at 4.5 million. With no VSC and TRC and most of the drive in the city which may include travelling at speeds in excess of 80km and curved roads, it's not a safe vehicle to be in.

yeah well not a rupee above 4.5 million. im out. i dnt do much offroading anyway..so better have imported BMW than a local covered daala.

Indus motors could have had a big success with this but they ruined it getting greedy.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

man this surf 2008 look really gud....wats the price? if its less than 45 lacs its great deal even on 4.0 engine

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I just watched a Youtube video of a Fortuner review in India. It was a 3.0L diesel and they mentioned that the latest 2012 model comes with Vehicle Stability Control. I then checked Toyota Thailand website and found that they also offer VSC and TRC (Traction Control System) in 3.0L models but not in 2.7L. Here's the link Specifications - New Fortuner - Toyota Motor Thailand Co.,Ltd.
    So I am guessing Pakistan Fortuner comes without VSC and TRC. With so many flipping horror stories IMC should have given both these options. We now also need to ask IMC if Fortuner comes with redesigned rear suspension which was also one of the ways to avoid flipping.
    i ve thai vigo 2.7 even i havent got vsc n trc but i ve seen on 3.0 d4d thai vigo....i wonder why petrol 2700cc not having these options....later one of the guy told me tht trc is very important for high torque suv such as 3.0 d4d which is 260lb/ft torque vs 2700cc vvti is 180lb/ft torque....for vsc i ve to ask around why its not in fortuner

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by salik990 View Post
    man this surf 2008 look really gud....wats the price? if its less than 45 lacs its great deal even on 4.0 engine
    Unregisterd 2008 for 45 i like a give away, When compared to market, atleast in karachi a registered 2004-2005 comes under that range.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

^ Okay i just called, he said its being cleared today, driven around 30ish, final 65 ki deni hai,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

maybe it is the photo quality but my initial impression is that the pak assembled Fortuner looks built to a price and very basic, especially the interior. imo, another bad move by Indus Toyota and their sales chart reinforces the same, doesn't it?
    Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

User Tag List