8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review

I just test drove new Pakistan assembled Toyota Fortuner 2013. Here's my review of the vehicle along with some pictures I was able to take.

Exterior: 7/10 - I saw the one in dark gray mica color and it looked pretty nice. It has a fresh design with nice curves and style. I would personally prefer white color though.

Dashboard: 5/10 - Those driving Civics, Premios, Mark X and Surf are not going to be excited about it. It's pretty basic. Although they have given leather steering and black piano trim it still doesn't spark. DVD, gear and speedometer is also average. Nothing stands out.

Interior: 6/10 - Tan leather seats and overall ambiance inside the cabin gives it a nice look and there's nothing out of ordinary. However, it feel pretty congested and 3 normal sized people would be tight sitting in the 2nd row. 3rd row is very tight and only 10-12 year old children would fit in there.

Drive: 5/10 - It felt quite stiff and heavy. You cannot compare it's ride to Prado or Land Cruiser. At a speed of 100 km/hr it didn't feel very stable on a bumpy road. I believe it will have stability issues on motor way where there are heavy gusts of wind in some areas as well as on curvy roads at high speeds.

Engine: 6/10 - The engine isn't under powered; it's just about the right size. It didn't feel sluggish. You won't be able to drag race it with Corolla or Civic though. I know we are going to complain about fuel consumption because it's all time 4WD which isn't going to be a good idea since it's a city car.

Price: 4/10 - Now it all comes down to the price which IMC hasn't announced yet but most probably it's 5.2 million. So the question is how much are you willing to throw away for a car that's 6/10 in Pakistani market. Since we have seen comparison of prices of Fortuner with other countries in different threads I am going to repeat the same thing. After seeing and driving it I am more convinced that this car belongs in around 4.2 million bracket. My limit to purchase this car would be 4.5 million. There's no way I am spending 5.2 million on it and after taxes and registration it would be around 5.8 million. Sorry, IMC but I am not up for that.

Bottom line: All in all it's not a bad car to own and drive but it felt like an upgrade or big brother of Vigo and then it all comes down to value for money. You need to see what you get in return of the money you spend. I would personally either prefer a Surf or a Mercedes in 4 million range and if I have to spend close to 6 million then I am going for a Prado. Yes, there are people who would buy it for even 7 million and consider it a good price for a "brand new" car but I am not willing to go down that road. IMC would have difficult time selling it over 4.5 million. The Sales Manager at Toyota dealership also said that this car will sell itself at 4.5 million but at 5.2 million it will be very difficult. Initially they might get a good response but it will eventually slow down.

Price Comparison: I did a small price comparison with different countries. I used current foreign currency exchange rate. I wonder why is there a minor difference in the price of Altis and Fortuner in other countries and why do we have to pay almost 3 times in Pakistan for Fortuner? I believe that's because Fortuner is not considered a luxury car in other countries and they think of it as an upgrade to a pickup truck. You can see Altis is cheaper in Pakistan than most of the countries then why not Fortuner?

Country Altis 1.8L Fortuner 2.7L
    India 2,616,838 4,041,730
    Thailand 2,957,710 4,158,560
    UAE 1,909,050 3,404,250
    Philippines 2,795,100 3,334,760
    Pakistan 2,084,000 5,175,000

Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133528
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133525
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133526
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133523
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133527
    Toyota Fortuner 2013 Launch and Review -1133524

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by chinyoti View Post
    ^ Okay i just called, he said its being cleared today, driven around 30ish, final 65 ki deni hai,
    price is fine as its fresh import with 4.0 engine...these days fresh imported prado 2008 2700cc costing around 65-70 lacs
    My lugnuts require more torque than your Vtec can put out...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes, it's pretty basic interior. Nothing outstanding except the leather seats. It's a big thing as far as Pakistan auto industry is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
    maybe it is the photo quality but my initial impression is that the pak assembled Fortuner looks built to a price and very basic, especially the interior. imo, another bad move by Indus Toyota and their sales chart reinforces the same, doesn't it?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

its the final price now.
    dealers say imc showed a video to prove it can travel fast on curved roads. but the video was most probably made in thailand with their equipped fortuners, nit this one. indus motors is aware of the fortuner flipping problem.but they ddnt do anything about it.

another thing, imc says the market research proved people are happy to pay 5.2 million for this. i dnt know where they got this research and by the way is this the pricing policy? they dont ask the worth+profit of the vehicle which is 4.2 to 4.5 but they see what people may be wiling to pay for it.... consumer rights violation maybe ?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i saw the one in white color. there was no shine in it. brand new... they have missed a few coats of paints (like in corolla) civic has 8 coats.
    you can see the old civic in pictures above shining more than the new fortuner.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So that means IMC totally ignored the biggest market segment while pricing Fortuner. They are ignoring the people who want to upgrade from Civic, Premio, Prius, Mark X, Mercedes and BMW. These are the people who have the budget to purchase a vehicle in 4 million range but 5.5 million is way out of their league. There are many people stuck with Civics (like me) just because they want to buy a brand new car and there's no better option available in the market. Obviously, IMC will not loose customers who are willing to pay 5.5 million; these people will be happy to save some money. IMC chose to make more profit over more sales which will probably have more profit in my opinion.
    I also don't understand why IMC can't price it around 4 million and test market response. They can always increase prices gradually, which they will in any case.
    I think IMC's research is based on dealers and investors. I don't know a single person who was contacted for this survey. The invitees at sneak preview shows were not necessarily buyers, they were mostly friends of dealers or top multi national executives. Only time will tell how many of those people will actually write a cheque for this amount. A non-buyer will never comment on price. Only a buyer would comment on price or simply write a cheque. I am sure IMC will meet their first year target of 2000 vehicles but that's all they would sell. There are not a lot of people who could afford 5.5 million in this country. This also shows that IMC could have priced it lower since they waited for such a long time before announcing price.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

going to sneak preview tomorow. will see who are those people messing with imc's head.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by salik990 View Post
    price is fine as its fresh import with 4.0 engine...these days fresh imported prado 2008 2700cc costing around 65-70 lacs
    I agree to you, That was my point to KSK my cousin bought a registered 2004-2005 for 45+, So he isnt comparing apples to apples here, and that 5 year old Surf is still priced higher then a Brand new Fortuner,
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

So I have a questions for those who are defending the price, are you guys actually going to buy Fortuner? Don't forget to post the pictures. I'd like to see how many of these are actually buyers.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kala_shah_kaku View Post
    So I have a questions for those who are defending the price, are you guys actually going to buy Fortuner? Don't forget to post the pictures. I'd like to see how many of these are actually buyers.
    never ever goin to buy fortuner in this steep price if its below 4.5m n guarantee for no rollover problem (better rear suspension)
    My lugnuts require more torque than your Vtec can put out...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Price kio defend krhe ho yr?

Buyer ho Nai price ko defend kre jare ho. Indus motors b un logo se kio market research krhi ha jinho ne khredni nai ? It was a good deecesion by indus to get reservations of a million to see who is actually gona buy at that price.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default not a good idea to buy this highlander

I would recommend people moving on importing this vehicle. Why?

Well, firstly the headlights and rear lights are ugly compared to the international model
    Stupid rims for a car priced above 4 mill
    Stupid, not at all graceful, interior
    Basic model that is a 2013 costs 29 grands in the US which has better interior and even rims
    The most highest spec highlander without nav costs less than 4 million if the prices are compared from the north american market.
    Hybrid model costs less than 5 mill man! what is toyota upto? Fooling people in Pak?
    Includes heated seats if you're buying the model with leather and without nav...

You can import it from japan or UK and i guess it will cost you near the amount toyota is quoting on their pak website.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

went to the PC sneak preview today.

really bad turnout. saw only 3,4 other parties for the whole time we were there.

met a guy from IMC had long chat with him about the pricing and safety... he tried to defend 5.2 million price tag.

but the important thing he mentioned or let slip maybe.... was the pricing was based on volume. IMC does not expect high volume sales, so they priced it really high, arranged PC sneak previews to get the high society interested.

this approach does not seem to be working even now.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kazmi_muzammil View Post

Well, firstly the headlights and rear lights are ugly compared to the international model
    Basic model that is a 2013 costs 29 grands in the US which has better interior and even rims
    The most highest spec highlander without nav costs less than 4 million if the prices are compared from the north american market.
    Hybrid model costs less than 5 mill man! what is toyota upto? Fooling people in Pak?
    Includes heated seats if you're buying the model with leather and without nav...

You can import it from japan or UK and i guess it will cost you near the amount toyota is quoting on their pak website.
    what is fortuner equivalent in US?
    "I have never won a debate with an ignorant person" Hazrat Ali (RA)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

4Runner and Highlander

Quote Originally Posted by ahm13 View Post
    what is fortuner equivalent in US?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I did not want to go to PC but still went there and I also noticed a real bad turn out. There were only 2 other guys during my whole 30 minutes stay and even those guys left with in 10 minutes. Also had same discussion with IMC regional head as well as one dealership sales manager. They were all defending the price with arguments like 90% imported parts, comparing prices with used Prado etc. so I think this price is final. I think this car is going to fail miserably; they couldn't get enough people to come for free food and drinks. I did leave comments in which I mentioned price and VSC.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think this vehicle will affect the market of imported SUV, as long as the price stays 5million or less.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    107 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kazmi_muzammil View Post

Konsi prices kinse compare kerae ho bhae? We pay 2 times more for almost every imported car in Pakisan, Look around.
    Get over the fact that Xli lacks power windows, Its an Xli because it lacks thoose features or else it would be a Gli or an Altis if had all the goodies.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by kala_shah_kaku View Post
    I did not want to go to PC but still went there and I also noticed a real bad turn out. There were only 2 other guys during my whole 30 minutes stay and even those guys left with in 10 minutes. Also had same discussion with IMC regional head as well as one dealership sales manager. They were all defending the price with arguments like 90% imported parts, comparing prices with used Prado etc. so I think this price is final. I think this car is going to fail miserably; they couldn't get enough people to come for free food and drinks. I did leave comments in which I mentioned price and VSC.

i was there from 4 to 5.30 did not see more than 3 people........log free hi tea pe b nai ae. . . strange. even the IMC guy mentioned that...........saying PC sneak previews, tv newspaper ads waghera k kharcha b to nkalna ha (fortuner ki price ma se) and hmne to pori hi tea bnwai thi ab dekhein waste hogai... and newspaper half page ad 7 lacs ka hota etc etc. . . . .

they extended the sneak preview today......maybe people did not come thats y.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    141 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I also attend the Sneak Preview today @ 12: 00 to 13: 00. Seen very less people there. Most of the people who visit the event are only visit on dealers push. I don't think so that anyone of them is came for Fortuner. IMC representatives are totally non technical and most of the time not available there, only defending the LOTA PLASTIC dash board. They even don't know about their target market and target customer. As far as I observe, this segment will not successful in Pakistan. However its nice try to extend the product lineup of IMC.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@rizwan400 plz dig some info about 2.7liter Vigo