Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
Like Tree480Likes

Thread: 8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar

Qasim Saidhi & Rizwan Buttar - Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution - First Position Category A
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1257500

Suhaib Kiani & Farooq Awan - Toyota FJ40 Concordia - Seventh Position Category A
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1257501

Yaser Ahmed Ghani & Taimoor Zaid - Toyota Hilux Surf - DNF Category B
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13702

Rashid Abdullah & Imran - Mitsubishi Triton - Third Position Category C
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13967

This thread is dedicated to the memory of Late Syed Abbas Akbar - Veteran Rally Driver who passed away a few months before this year's rally. May his soul rest in peace and his rally spirit continue to inspire and empower the sportsmen of the future!
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - 1118391d1359379281 jhal magsi desert challenge 2013 news updates thread 487017 4276745750201 458625272 n

Full Rally Results Posted on 4x4 Pakistan Rally Thread Here !
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Just a few more taankas and ready....

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1143822

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

[QUOTE=SuhaibKiani;3780771]/QUOTE]

Hai Hai! front diffuser!! the concordia has to be the most aerodynamically superior machine on the rally scene
    More Power!!! More power....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default On Some of the Surprise Perils of Rallying

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145202

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145203

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145204

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145205

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145206

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145207

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default KC Cruiser Quaification Recce Run Save - Taking Hard Right to a New Level :)

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452308th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452318th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452328th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452338th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452348th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452358th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452368th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452378th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452388th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452398th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11452408th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145241

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Sarfaraz Dhanji Nissan GTE Suspension!

When I congratulated Shanji Sb at the end of the race and asked about the Nissan 2JZ GTE conversion, he said that he was not happy with the front suspension which was somehwat hurriedly put together and had retricted travel because of different shock etc. Nevertheless, he confirmed that there were 8 King shocks on the car and that the build was an ongoing process of tuning and refinement. Mashallah, the car looked very balanced and controlled whenever I saw it!

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145269

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145270

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145271

And some pics of our car around stagebreak:
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Saw Yasir's videos yesterday, scary pictures above are from the reccee round of his qualifying

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Had a sit in with "the champ" yesterday and he diagnosed this as an attempt at a "classic tarmac drift maneuver"... not to be tried on soft sand . i actually learnt this from paul newman aka The Hudson Hornet in Disneys "Cars".. and like lightning McQueen i ended up going right . In the timed run i moved the braking point some yards before my recce misadventure and was able to have a much more controlled entry into the turn....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yaserag View Post
    Had a sit in with "the champ" yesterday and he diagnosed this as an attempt at a "classic tarmac drift maneuver"... not to be tried on soft sand . i actually learnt this from paul newman aka The Hudson Hornet in Disneys "Cars".. and like lightning McQueen i ended up going right . In the timed run i moved the braking point some yards before my recce misadventure and was able to have a much more controlled entry into the turn....
    I thought the navigator had called it wrong I have a bad print video of your second run (cannot upload but will try again) and you still had to flick it through that turn! Looked quite effective and fast the second time around!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Jumping JJ : TLC FJ60 GTE

Well our IJC and PW friends Nashit Ashraf (@Ghuncha) , @akif Janjua ; @samivoodoo and some others were all geared to attend Cholistan on this "Project JJ". Unfortuntely owing to numerous delays and setbacks, JJ could not make it. The guys have put in a lot of hard work along with Farooq Awan and Co. into this and it sports a 2JZ GTE, Supra auto gearbox mated to Toyota transfer case, FJ80 axles with reduced gearing, FJ80 front suspension, Dick Cepek 32s, a serious seamless DOM rollcage and lots of other goodies. They still need some performance damping on there but otherwise its a beautiful car and a landmark project in the sense that its fully dedicated to rallying. Inshallah more power to them for 2014! This BTW just came in today with the caption"hifazati band baandh lein"!

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145771

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    304 Post(s)
    Tagged
    24 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Well our IJC and PW friends Nashit Ashraf (@Ghuncha) , @akif Janjua ; @samivoodoo and some others were all geared to attend Cholistan on this "Project JJ". Unfortuntely owing to numerous delays and setbacks, JJ could not make it. The guys have put in a lot of hard work along with Farooq Awan and Co. into this and it sports a 2JZ GTE, Supra auto gearbox mated to Toyota transfer case, FJ80 axles with reduced gearing, FJ80 front suspension, Dick Cepek 32s, a serious seamless DOM rollcage and lots of other goodies. They still need some performance damping on there but otherwise its a beautiful car and a landmark project in the sense that its fully dedicated to rallying. Inshallah more power to them for 2014! This BTW just came in today with the caption"hifazati band baandh lein"!

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1145771
    Technically it is a JZJ60 - GTTi
    Keep a cool head and wear seatbelts!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11461858th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1146186 OK so after going through qasims and my own rally videos i tried to ascertain the exact location of the rollover... the 1st image shows the entire track. Image 2 is a close up of the Nawakot area where we had our spill. A closer look would reveal that we were a stones throw from the end of that "tricky" section.... Laanat!!! Laanat!!!

This is around 54-55km into the rally. At this point i was a full 8:20 odd secs behind qasims time .... The Champ was flying!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Give 5 minutes to better suspension, 2 minutes to more precise navigation and a minute or so to previous rally experience, you are almost there, Insha Allah

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am sure this vehicle must be quite fast. Roll cage seems to be fitted nicely as well. Front wheels travel looks to be around 8-9 inches which is excellent but not sure about the rear wheel travel, looks restricted to mere 5-6 inches from the picture. Long wheel base vehicles with overhang need more travel in the back, for this kind of vehicle minimum 9-10 inch travel at the back is necessary otherwise its back will jump frequently and awkwardly, which can be very dangerous at higher speeds

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by saidhi View Post
    I am sure this vehicle must be quite fast. Roll cage seems to be fitted nicely as well. Front wheels travel looks to be around 8-9 inches which is excellent but not sure about the rear wheel travel, looks restricted to mere 5-6 inches from the picture. Long wheel base vehicles with overhang need more travel in the back, for this kind of vehicle minimum 9-10 inch travel at the back is necessary otherwise its back will jump frequently and awkwardly, which can be very dangerous at higher speeds
    Good catch, your guesses are pretty accurate in terms of current travel. The rear should theoretically be netting 9-10 inches (at least) in my books with the FJ60 leafs but Nashit tells me that currently its about 5-6 inches. Not sure whats the issue maybe the shocks are too short or the kamani is not moving properly or has not been broken in yet, but nothing which cannot be fixed upto 10 inches. Ultimately there is always the possibility of 4 linking the rear with Nissan/TLC80 coils and taking up travel to 12-14 inches. Nevertheless, the main shortcoming here currently is the investment in good shocks which would make it somewhat possible to control the car. Also cannot help but think that removing all 5 doors and all that glass would improve handling and power tremendously!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yaserag View Post
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -11461858th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1146186 OK so after going through qasims and my own rally videos i tried to ascertain the exact location of the rollover... the 1st image shows the entire track. Image 2 is a close up of the Nawakot area where we had our spill. A closer look would reveal that we were a stones throw from the end of that "tricky" section.... Laanat!!! Laanat!!!

This is around 54-55km into the rally. At this point i was a full 8:20 odd secs behind qasims time .... The Champ was flying!
    Yes thats exactly where I remember your car was, just about the last long turn before the mud pits leading onto Nawan Kot Fort. Its a big pity that you did not make it through here, but thanks to the almighty that you were both safe and help arrived in time to move the car off the track! It was good that we saw that you and Taimoor were OK while we passed by although looking at the car from behind/side we got the impression that you had broken down and not rolled over. Me and Farooq thought of stopping (though no words were exchanged)but realized that you had plenty of help at hand judging by the number of people and cars around. As we went past, Farooq saw some broken glass on the track and it was just not a good feeling for me hearing that announcement on the intercom though I still could not add it all up together at that point. Was a big relief to see youguys in good spirits and the car amazingly intact when you finally were towed back to camp!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Good catch, your guesses are pretty accurate in terms of current travel. The rear should theoretically be netting 9-10 inches (at least) in my books with the FJ60 leafs but Nashit tells me that currently its about 5-6 inches. Not sure whats the issue maybe the shocks are too short or the kamani is not moving properly or has not been broken in yet, but nothing which cannot be fixed upto 10 inches. Ultimately there is always the possibility of 4 linking the rear with Nissan/TLC80 coils and taking up travel to 12-14 inches. Nevertheless, the main shortcoming here currently is the investment in good shocks which would make it somewhat possible to control the car. Also cannot help but think that removing all 5 doors and all that glass would improve handling and power tremendously!
    Thank you for the kind words Suhaib Bhai, your enthusiasm for this project of ours is very welcome. I humbly say this on behalf of the team that it has been a huge learning experience for us, and we will continue to tinker with this vehicle hopefully long into the future to learn about vehicle dynamics, powertrains, electronics, materials etc. Faisal Malik has very kindly given us carte blanche in designing the vehicle howsoever we saw fit. Quite a few decisions that we've taken were purely based on calculations and engineering principles (rightly or wrongly - it remains to be seen in the heat of battle), while others were thanks to the immense knowledge and experience of the fabrication team. We're be raising the bar on the vehicle slowly and steadily, until we're sure that the vehicle can actually do a full rally (or a couple) without breakdowns or other major issues. With that being said, here are a few things we'd like to say;

- Suspension is being looked into. Probably need to tub the rear wheel wells. Even before our run we knew we need greater rear travel - which was confirmed with the run. Probably due to the long wheelbase, it's not *that* bouncy or difficult to drive. Although as @saidhi said, it'll need a better suspension to use its not-inconsiderable power more often in a rally.
    - Roll cage meets or exceeds FIA T1 specifications with copious amounts of gusseting. Better safe than sorry. Designed and installed by a metallurgist, a machinist and a plant welding expert.
    - For more power, there's always more boost!

Regards,
    Sami
    Wise men think alike and fools never disagree...

A siren is just a woman's face on the body of a Tuna...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Great to see a 60 in the rally field. I am also a proud owner of an HJ60 and thinking of participating in a rally maybe a couple of years ahead.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sami_voodoo View Post
    Thank you for the kind words Suhaib Bhai, your enthusiasm for this project of ours is very welcome. I humbly say this on behalf of the team that it has been a huge learning experience for us, and we will continue to tinker with this vehicle hopefully long into the future to learn about vehicle dynamics, powertrains, electronics, materials etc. Faisal Malik has very kindly given us carte blanche in designing the vehicle howsoever we saw fit. Quite a few decisions that we've taken were purely based on calculations and engineering principles (rightly or wrongly - it remains to be seen in the heat of battle), while others were thanks to the immense knowledge and experience of the fabrication team. We're be raising the bar on the vehicle slowly and steadily, until we're sure that the vehicle can actually do a full rally (or a couple) without breakdowns or other major issues. With that being said, here are a few things we'd like to say;

- Suspension is being looked into. Probably need to tub the rear wheel wells. Even before our run we knew we need greater rear travel - which was confirmed with the run. Probably due to the long wheelbase, it's not *that* bouncy or difficult to drive. Although as @saidhi said, it'll need a better suspension to use its not-inconsiderable power more often in a rally.
    - Roll cage meets or exceeds FIA T1 specifications with copious amounts of gusseting. Better safe than sorry. Designed and installed by a metallurgist, a machinist and a plant welding expert.
    - For more power, there's always more boost!

Regards,
    Sami
    Many Thanks for the post Sami. Its good to see that finally I have managed to make one of guys speak up about the project which seems to have been following the same secrecy protocols as Chrysler would do for the launch of their next Corvette model Me being the lurking paparazzi photographer of sorts have been doing my share of spy cam work and some of the old pics are posted here : Islamabad Jeep Club • View topic - The JJ-GT Build Thread!

All the best on to you and the team!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Many Thanks for the post Sami. Its good to see that finally I have managed to make one of guys speak up about the project which seems to have been following the same secrecy protocols as Chrysler would do for the launch of their next Corvette model Me being the lurking paparazzi photographer of sorts have been doing my share of spy cam work and some of the old pics are posted here : Islamabad Jeep Club • View topic - The JJ-GT Build Thread!

All the best on to you and the team!
    Ahem Ahem! Chrysler don't make the corvette

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Mehboob Khan kee Kahani, SK kee Zubani!

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13707

Well although I have perhaps told this one over and over to all friends whom I met subsequently, its been a little overdu out here, but here goes. Lets start from when at prize distribution I had a printout of the results sheet in my hand and a local chap asked me how much is the difference between Mehboob Khan and the 3rd position Jimny in Category D. I glanced at the sheet and told him that it was just about 43 secs. I hadn't put two and two together at that stage...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

User Tag List