Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast
Like Tree480Likes

Thread: 8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default 8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar

Qasim Saidhi & Rizwan Buttar - Mitsubishi Pajero Evolution - First Position Category A
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1257500

Suhaib Kiani & Farooq Awan - Toyota FJ40 Concordia - Seventh Position Category A
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1257501

Yaser Ahmed Ghani & Taimoor Zaid - Toyota Hilux Surf - DNF Category B
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13702

Rashid Abdullah & Imran - Mitsubishi Triton - Third Position Category C
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13967

This thread is dedicated to the memory of Late Syed Abbas Akbar - Veteran Rally Driver who passed away a few months before this year's rally. May his soul rest in peace and his rally spirit continue to inspire and empower the sportsmen of the future!
    8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - 1118391d1359379281 jhal magsi desert challenge 2013 news updates thread 487017 4276745750201 458625272 n

Full Rally Results Posted on 4x4 Pakistan Rally Thread Here !
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13979

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

It brings out some interesting results if we remove the category barriers. Its also unique because the combination of rain and track selection made it possible for the smaller cars to catch up to the big ones. The longer wheeelbase vigos seem to have fared well generally particularly with the more powerful A category 3.0 TD engines.

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13994

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Interesting timings breakdown, (position 6 and 7 overall need to be reversed)

Your first stage timings in the khabar section let you down.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks NN. Revised the chart and added one entry on Stage II.
    Am I the only one having difficulty visualizing how a Potohar with kamanis catches up with a Nissan GTE on Kings!!!???

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Made a few more changes and additions above. Personally, I don't care much about the stage I timing and would trade in a few more minutes just to have had the cam working

On stage II however, I am just a little disappointed in hindsight that we lost some time going around a muddy patch (was not required by then) and I perhaps was a bit slow in warming up to the track. Should have caught the Ameer Haider Evo at 1:37 as I am not sure we would ever have the chance again. Once Ghulam Hussain overtook us at last CP after covering 4 mins, we had to give him the remaining 30 secs as he was not putting anything on us after that. So in my mind 1:26 was quite possible, maybe a bit more if we had ATs on!

nn
    Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think the Jimnys enjoy the current cholistan track too much.

Looking at the results, the Jimny's have always been around 30 minutes slower than the fastest time at Jhal for last three events. Also at Mithi, they were 30+ minutes slower. Even at cholistan 2010 they were 30 minutes behind. At dharki they were 12 minutes slower, but it was reduced to single lap, so over two laps thats roughly 24 minutes.

I think since Nadir's tacoma, they have been making tracks at cholistan narrower n slower for their own advantage!

BTW I note Mehrab khan did't attend jhal or even mithi. Maybe he knows the cholistan track too well!

I think you have been looking after UZi too much, you should bully it around a bit more, better times will come automaically.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The Leaderboard from last year >

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13993

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    I think the Jimnys enjoy the current cholistan track too much.

Looking at the results, the Jimny's have always been around 30 minutes slower than the fastest time at Jhal for last three events. Also at Mithi, they were 30+ minutes slower. Even at cholistan 2010 they were 30 minutes behind. At dharki they were 12 minutes slower, but it was reduced to single lap, so over two laps thats roughly 24 minutes.

I think since Nadir's tacoma, they have been making tracks at cholistan narrower n slower for their own advantage!

BTW I note Mehrab khan did't attend jhal or even mithi. Maybe he knows the cholistan track too well!

I think you have been looking after UZi too much, you should bully it around a bit more, better times will come automaically.

Looking at the above, I think the Jimnys were quite fast last year at Cholistan too, but its the rain that made a special difference this year. Somehow the track turned dramatically in favour of the lighter cars and surprisingly handling differences also got evened out. I don't fully understand how the track changes, but unless it rains as much again, I don't think we can ever expect a kamani potohar to catch a GTE Nissan on Kings or Mian Rafiq's Jimny to dump Zafar Magsi's Evo!

On the smaller track, someone also mentioned that people had started saying after last year that Cholistan was "halwa" after Jhal. And the organizers got back to this track which apparently had been used before in 2008 or something.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice chart SK, what i inferred from the above.

1. Asad Khoro was head and shoulders above everyone else in stage 1. his 2nd stage was was equally fast but since the track wasnt as challenging other people were able to stage times that were closer to his.
    2. Qasims pace is fairly consistent in both stages
    3. Ronnie's 1st stage time was conservative by his standards.
    4. O khakwani was well off the pace of the leaders in stage 2.
    5. Mian Rafiq and mehrab khan need to be given medals for their stage 2 runs. Keeping up with the big boys is no mean feat...especially since stage 2 was much faster.
    6. Zafar Magsi had to be sleeping on stage 1!!!
    7. Dhanji sbs "Supari" has atleast another 10mins in it...simply judging from the way qasim overtook in the 1st stage. His time is still great...Kudos to him!!
    8 Mukesh Chawlas 1st stage time was quite good. Now i know why he caught up to me at CP3. I knew he would be faster but i didnt think he would chase me down that quickly. His 2nd stage was quite poor considering how well his 1st stage was.
    9. Still can't get over the 3 jimnys in stage 2.... wants me to make a class 1 buggy
    10. Next years cholistan will have a "supermodel" skinny hilux with an engine out of a Messerschmidt, that has been on a fat-free, high protein diet... it too will probably rollover though
    More Power!!! More power....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Oh and i agree with nn, you arent pushing the UZi enough... i remember you mentioned on the "night" recce that you were trying to outrun me but couldnt... i was just keeping up, doing nothing more...seriously think you can shave off atleast 3 secs /km... over the entire track that could translate into 10 odd minutes... which is substantial.

Another very consistent and steady driver is adnan siddiqui btw

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by yaserag View Post
    Oh and i agree with nn, you arent pushing the UZi enough... i remember you mentioned on the "night" recce that you were trying to outrun me but couldnt... i was just keeping up, doing nothing more...seriously think you can shave off atleast 3 secs /km... over the entire track that could translate into 10 odd minutes... which is substantial.Another very consistent and steady driver is adnan siddiqui btw
    Well at the finish line my navigator did declare that "Suhaib Bhai, aap kee driving ke saath jitney bhee meree shikayaat theen, Aaj aap ne khattam karr deen Hain". Yes, we were deliberately dicking around a bit on the first stage, but the second run was perhaps the most enjoyable and satisfying driving experience for me. I would agree that we were not being very aggressive but there wasn't much holding back and the limitations were mainly skill and fatigue. The car was behaving like a dream with the locked diff providing excellent dance/drift control on the slide and glide turns....In the night recce there were some sections where I was trying to put some distance between us and it wasn't working. There were other sections where i thought we were able to get away a bit but that may have been for various reasons. Overall I don't think the Uzi has as much a speed or power advantage on the Vigo as we would like to think, at least in cholistan track. It's also possible that the engine was not pulling 100 percent this year and we were losing a bit of power....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'll probably never get around to editing it properly so here goes, putting up whatever little we had :

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    It brings out some interesting results if we remove the category barriers. Its also unique because the combination of rain and track selection made it possible for the smaller cars to catch up to the big ones. The longer wheeelbase vigos seem to have fared well generally particularly with the more powerful A category 3.0 TD engines.

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report: Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar - filephp?id13994
    I finally got a chance to speak to Sachina Khan, son of Ghulam Hussain. Sachina had a most interesting collection of videos from qualification which I requested him to send me a copy of and he promised to do so in a few days. I also apologized for holding up Ghulam Hussain Sb's Jimny on the second stage and it appears that he had been chasing us for quite a long time before he managed to cross us on the last CP. Not sure how long is quite long, though probably they still would not have gone onto the podium regardless of us, nevertheless when coupled with our antics with Mehmood Khan Sb, we seem to have managed to shake up the Jimny category around a fair bit Definitely time for the FJ to retire from this game before we make more enemies here, hahaha ! On the wishful thinking bit, maybe the target second stage time for the FJ was not 1:26 but 1:24

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

All quiet on the rally front I guess! Here is some more number crunching from my end which is probably more relevant and interesting than others. Comparison of Cholistan Stage II between finisher timings for 2013 (slightly longer, wet slower sandy track) vs 2012 (typical dry sandy track with a few more kms of straight runs):

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1209108

On average 10-12% more times seems to be the benchmark here due to slower and longer track. Qasim, Nauman and Mukesh seem to have had a more aggressive go at the track this year. I would think that the Jimnys somehow fared better in the wet or had more power than previous year. Mehrab probably seems comparatively slower because his last year's run was just too fast. Asif's Pajero engine seems to have run out of steam! And if only there was a medal for most improved driver here

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Taliaan!!!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

All quiet on the rally front I guess! Here is some more number crunching from my end which is probably more relevant and interesting than others. Comparison of Cholistan Stage II between finisher timings for 2013 (slightly longer, wet slower sandy track) vs 2012 (typical dry sandy track with a few more kms of straight runs):

8th Cholistan Jeep Rally 2013 Report Dedicated to the Late Syed Abbas Akbar -1209108

On average 10-12% more times seems to be the benchmark here due to slower and longer track. Qasim, Nauman and Mukesh seem to have had a more aggressive go at the track this year. I would think that the Jimnys somehow fared better in the wet or had more power than previous year. Mehrab probably seems comparatively slower because his last year's run was just too fast. Asif's Pajero engine seems to have run out of steam! And if only there was a medal for most improved driver here
    Guess 10-12% slower in 2013 is the correct benchmark.

Nauman was slower in 2012's second stage because his chip was no working. Mukesh drove 2.5 Diesel Vigo last year and has now improved to 2.7 Petrol, which I have been told is much faster than 2.5 Diesel.

My Case was is no different, I could have pushed to shave 3 to 4 minutes in the second stage of Cholistan 2012 but there was no point in taking extra chances because I had lost all chances of podium after losing 28-30 minutes in Stage 1, mainly due to a flat tyre, twice getting stuck in sand and losing way before CP-1.

Another equally important reason for conserving Evo till finish line was the fact that Evo's Chassis was already bent, thanks to a mistake in Qualifying Round, so there was no point to break the Evo. For me Second Stage of 2012 Cholistan was to cross the finish line only.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Nice chart SK, what i inferred from the above.............................
    9. Still can't get over the 3 jimnys in stage 2.... wants me to make a class 1 buggy
    10. Next years cholistan will have a "supermodel" skinny hilux with an engine out of a Messerschmidt, that has been on a fat-free, high protein diet... it too will probably rollover though
    So judge Sb, what is our weight target for our "Class 101" Bug-gy

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Well, unfortunately for me i love the symphony of power tools and metal and for some reason (i cant explain it to myself either) i hate following the general convention... so heres the deal the lux has to wait for another day...i know i know, coming from me this is blasphemy but hey...kuch different hona chaheeyay... yes time naheen hai itna, lekin gaari scratch se bananay ka mazay kum log samajhtay hein

class 1 is outta my league but the last few weeks have resulted in a lot of after hours research on mid/rear engine 2wd cars. In short i'm encouraged by what all i've come across and a hybrid class1/2 1600, Class 10, class 5 unlimited, Chenowth type vehicle has serious prospects.. i'm thinking K24 honda motor mated to a 6 rib vw transaxle... target weight under 1000 kg which should be fairly easy since the stock beetle weighs around 850 kg ... AND my mind is made up!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

... AND my mind is made up!
    Lock kia Jayey??

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Lock kia Jayey??
    Ji! sari lifelines khatam ho gaein hein! Ya aar ya paar!

aur agar yeh tukka naheen challa to phir yeh rally shally apni samajh se baahir hai

+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

User Tag List