Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Question Noob: Advice on buying my first 4x4

Hello Everyone,

I am posting this in hope that I could get some advice on buying (or not buying) my first 4x4. I want to try it out and I have a limited budget. I'll get right down to the my questions:
    1. I am a beginner in this, with no expertise. What is my safest option? (Potohar?)
    2. Can a 4x4 be used as a daily driver in Lahore? (I really do want to use it as a daily use vehicle)
    3. How frequently do they breakdown and need maintenance? (like every week or month there is something which needs repairing or replacing?)
    4. I am looking to buy something ready off the shelf, which doesn't need restoring or a lot of customisation. Is this even possible?

I am open to suggestions. I've read a lot of posts here about different 4x4s, and I am open to anything from Potohar, military auctioned (already restored) or anything, as long as it can be used in a city as a daily driver (office and back) and can be bought off the shelf.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Eirij

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Whats your budget and what mileage do you expect in city, what will your purpose whether offroading, long trips etc.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Whats your budget and what mileage do you expect in city, what will your purpose whether offroading, long trips etc.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Start with these questions:

1- What is my budget? Start browsing the classifieds to baseline the costs for popular SUV/offroad brands in Pakistan. Resto projects can be pay-as-you-go type deals but may end up costing a pretty penny towards completion. An 'off the shelf' vehicle will require a more substantial initial investment (Will vary with make and model).
    2- Petrol or diesel? Do you want an off road rig or a highway cruiser? i.e. torque or high revs?
    3- Short or long wheel base?
    4- Comfort? i.e. a coil sprung or leaf sprung vehicle?
    5- Light vehicle (soft-top) or a solid roof?

Sooner or later you will end up in more complex territory (differential ratios, SOA conversions, diff lockers, engine mods, etc.) depending on how long you research.

May the force be with you.

4X4 Clubs / Off Roaders / SUV
    Your Online Offroad Resource – IH8MUD.com
    Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.
    And there goes the Challenger, being chased by the blue, blue meanies on wheels.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by eirij View Post
    Hello Everyone,

I am posting this in hope that I could get some advice on buying (or not buying) my first 4x4. I want to try it out and I have a limited budget. I'll get right down to the my questions:
    1. I am a beginner in this, with no expertise. What is my safest option? (Potohar?)
    2. Can a 4x4 be used as a daily driver in Lahore? (I really do want to use it as a daily use vehicle)
    3. How frequently do they breakdown and need maintenance? (like every week or month there is something which needs repairing or replacing?)
    4. I am looking to buy something ready off the shelf, which doesn't need restoring or a lot of customisation. Is this even possible?

I am open to suggestions. I've read a lot of posts here about different 4x4s, and I am open to anything from Potohar, military auctioned (already restored) or anything, as long as it can be used in a city as a daily driver (office and back) and can be bought off the shelf.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,
    Eirij
    IMO - The best option in limited budget (upto 500k) as per above requirements - Mitsubishi First generation Pajero 3 door.
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jehanzebnasir View Post
    Thanks for replying. My budget is up to 500K. I am expecting to drive around 50 to 70km per day. I would want to try a little bit of offroading, but I am not yet sure how well that would fit with my other requirements.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    IMO - The best option in limited budget (upto 500k) as per above requirements - Mitsubishi First generation Pajero 3 door.
    Thank you! I will take a look at this option.

Someone said that it is awfully difficult to find mitsubishi parts in Lahore. How true is that?

Thanks again!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by YounusK View Post
    Start with these questions:

1- What is my budget? Start browsing the classifieds to baseline the costs for popular SUV/offroad brands in Pakistan. Resto projects can be pay-as-you-go type deals but may end up costing a pretty penny towards completion. An 'off the shelf' vehicle will require a more substantial initial investment (Will vary with make and model).
    2- Petrol or diesel? Do you want an off road rig or a highway cruiser? i.e. torque or high revs?
    3- Short or long wheel base?
    4- Comfort? i.e. a coil sprung or leaf sprung vehicle?
    5- Light vehicle (soft-top) or a solid roof?

Sooner or later you will end up in more complex territory (differential ratios, SOA conversions, diff lockers, engine mods, etc.) depending on how long you research.

May the force be with you.

4X4 Clubs / Off Roaders / SUV
    Your Online Offroad Resource – IH8MUD.com
    Pirate4x4.Com - The largest off roading website in the world.
    Thanks for the pointers. I have a few follow up comments:

1. For budget, I had 500K in mind based on my initial survey of the papers. Not sure if this will be enough for off the shelf.
    2. Not sure about petrol or diesel. May be diesel. Not a highway cruiser. Will mostly be used in the city, and some offroading.
    3. I will look into this. (not sure what the difference between the two is at this point)
    4. Comfort, YES! I will be driving it everyday for 50 to 70KM, and there are a LOT of bumps in the roads of Lahore.
    5. I am open to either one. I won't be doing any really daring off road thing atleast in the start.

Thanks again. I will look into these questions more and get back to this thread.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

1. For budget, I had 500K in mind based on my initial survey of the papers. Not sure if this will be enough for off the shelf.
    2. Not sure about petrol or diesel. May be diesel. Not a highway cruiser. Will mostly be used in the city, and some offroading.
    3. I will look into this. (not sure what the difference between the two is at this point)
    4. Comfort, YES! I will be driving it everyday for 50 to 70KM, and there are a LOT of bumps in the roads of Lahore.
    5. I am open to either one. I won't be doing any really daring off road thing atleast in the start.

Thanks again. I will look into these questions more and get back to this thread.
    4x4 in 500k and comfort..??? Not possible
    any 4x4 in this price will be heavy on maintenance cost.. no matter what you get..!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Not a problem. I think this is the correct way to proceed. Keep an open mind and don't be too hasty. Some things that you should factor in are:

1) Budget
    2) Utility / practicality
    3) Comfort
    4) Performance
    5) Availability of parts
    6) Running costs
    7) Resale value

and any other variable that holds importance for you.

Your budget right now will be able to fetch you: a Jeep CJ5 / CJ7 (it's handy to have some knowledge of engines, differentials, and body mods since a used Jeep is a sum of its parts), Jeep MUTT, a Toyota FJ 40 / BJ 40 which would need some degree of fixing up (or not too much if you are lucky).

Increasing your budget a little may be able to get you in the territory of: Pajero mini, Daihtsu Rocky, Suzuki Jimny Sierra (look out for body mods). If comfort is a requirement I would avoid Suzuki Potohar.

And there goes the Challenger, being chased by the blue, blue meanies on wheels.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

in your budget mitsubishi pajero is a good choice.
    Old is Gold
    Sulfide by Nature ....Trained & Tuned @ Toyota,,,,,,

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List