3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default A nod to Pakistani quality in 4x4 Magazine

I hope this isn't a repost, but going through a used copy of 4x4 Magazine (October 2011) that I picked up from a local book store (of course the picture of very fetching red FJ40 on the cover was love at first sight), I was pleasantly surprised to discover said FJ's connection to Pakistan.

Now, the quality of Pakistani craftsmanship - especially when it comes to bodywork is pretty well known on online 4x4 forums - but this was the first time that I read about it in print: in an international magazine of repute. Let me share the following excerpt from the cover story with you:

<i>The FJ is a soft-top model and the quality of the canvas roof is interesting. Like the rest of the vehicle, it looks almost new, yet it is made of the 'right' material and certainly is in-keeping with the age of the vehicle. Interestingly it is made by a guy in Pakistan. Bill found it through the Land Cruiser forum www.ih8mud.com. Indeed you can check out a lot of build pictures of this FJ on the site and it was through this forum that he found someone in the States taking a bulk order of tops, having them all sent from Pakistan to Boston, USA, and then shipped to the individual owners. And it all worked out fine, which is a credit to all concerned and if you own a Land Cruiser, this is a forum you should belong to. It seems that the same Pakistani entrepreneur also makes body panels, but these are still available as an OE part amazingly - due to the fact that the vehicles are still used in Third World countries. Damn tough these Land Cruisers.</i>

<b>Words and photography: Nigel Fryatt</b>

The vehicle in question is a 1971 FJ 40 running a 4.2 litre 2F engine (instead of the stock 3.9 litre 1F) mated to a 4-speed transmission (instead of the stock 3-speed). Other goodies include a 4-inch HFS suspension lift, BF Goodrich A/Ts, and a PTO winch.

Apologies for the poor quality pictures, but all I had at hand was my cell phone.

A nod to Pakistani quality in 4x4 Magazine -1151727<br><br>A nod to Pakistani quality in 4x4 Magazine -1151728<br><br>A nod to Pakistani quality in 4x4 Magazine -1151729<br><br>A nod to Pakistani quality in 4x4 Magazine -1151731
    And there goes the Challenger, being chased by the blue, blue meanies on wheels.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I think the soft top is made and shipped by Ehsan Kiyani.
    Believe half of what you see and none of what you hear.......

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

came across few threads on pirate4x4 n mud....this one might be from EK hands
    Pakistan Soft Top from Ehsan - Page 2
    Never go offroading alone!!!you never know when you need a push!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Interesting. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by ajab9007 View Post
    came across few threads on pirate4x4 n mud....this one might be from EK hands
    Pakistan Soft Top from Ehsan - Page 2
    And there goes the Challenger, being chased by the blue, blue meanies on wheels.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yup! That looks like one of Ehsan made soft tops. Many thanks for sharing!

Ehsan has been making and exporting these to the US, Europe and Australia since 2002 (or something like that). Between his professional commitments as a training Radiologist, his passion for offroading and the dedication to Islamabad Jeep Club's antics and activities, Ehsan continues to give time to something which is essentially a hobby/home business of manufacturing and exporting FJ40 soft-tops. He has also done various other small parts and customization work for selected clients although for various reasons these have not materialized as consistent product lines. The FJ40 soft-top has undergone various quality improvements by Ehsan and basically harnesses the experience and prowess of local craftsmen based on Citi Sadar Road, Rawalpindi. The top received great reviews and accolades on various 4x4 magazines and online forums over the years and continues to be a hot favourite amongst FJ40 owners for its originality and practicality.
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The quality of these soft tops is really good. Final delivered price in US is between $1000 to $1200 which I think it is quite reasonable keeping in view that the fully restored FJ40 could cost you somewhere between $25K to $30K. Surprising thing is that there are so many top class quality restorations going on in US specially for FJ40, but they can not make simple canvas tops of this quality.
    Dream It - Build It - Drive It

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Not a problem, it was too good to pass up!

I came across Ehsan's name a while ago when I found a thread on Pakistani Jeeps on Pirate 4x4 if I'm not mistaken. It's good that he ventured into this hobby/family business - and in the process made a name for himself and earned points for Pakistani workmanship in 4x4 circles.

Maybe it's time to put some thought into building a brand for 4x4 accessories focussing on overseas markets? The cutomer base exists and word-of-mouth in a niche industry goes a long way - as demonstrated by the quoted article. Sorry if I'm rambling about marketing/brand building...occupational hazard I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post

Ehsan has been making and exporting these to the US, Europe and Australia since 2002 (or something like that). Between his professional commitments as a training Radiologist, his passion for offroading and the dedication to Islamabad Jeep Club's antics and activities, Ehsan continues to give time to something which is essentially a hobby/home business of manufacturing and exporting FJ40 soft-tops. He has also done various other small parts and customization work for selected clients although for various reasons these have not materialized as consistent product lines. The FJ40 soft-top has undergone various quality improvements by Ehsan and basically harnesses the experience and prowess of local craftsmen based on Citi Sadar Road, Rawalpindi. The top received great reviews and accolades on various 4x4 magazines and online forums over the years and continues to be a hot favourite amongst FJ40 owners for its originality and practicality.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

very nice share.
    Old is Gold
    Sulfide by Nature ....Trained & Tuned @ Toyota,,,,,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Proud of Dr Ehsaan Kiani
    -It is always Man behind the Machine.

Newbie Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Ehsan's contact info plz

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post

Hi,
    I have heard a lot about Ehsan's soft tops expertise and would really like to have his contact info. I would appreciate if someone could share his CellNo. with me

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi, Send him an email on EhsanKiani@gmail.com