72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Weight of diesel/ petrol engines

Can someone pls tell me any ROUGH idea about the weights of the commonly used engines. Like when we go from petrol to diesel, ppl normally do not recommend as the diesels are heavy and may effect the balance of the veh. Yr comments required on this and how to cater for this if at all we have to do this.

Also i'll be happy if someone gives some idea of the weights of the following engines.

Diesels
    2C
    3C
    2L
    3L
    1KZ
    etc etc

Petrols
    660cc
    1300cc
    1JZ
    2JZ
    2F/ 3F
    etc etc

Regards

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

whats cooking noman bhai
    <<<The Obstacle Is The Path>>>
    1984 BJ41, 1967 FJ40, 1984 BJ61 , 1983 Mutt M825, 1982 CJ5, 1942 Willys

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by machine View Post
    whats cooking noman bhai
    Oh yes, may be i get hold of a unique beauty. Trying hard. Just wait.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My two cents : Weight of diesel/ petrol engines - 456172d1344068561 ultimate 4x4 rally thread rally database rally discussion final analysis
    "If YOU don't believe in what you're doing it'll never work."

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Generally in our experience, more engine weight upfront is not good for high speed handling, but a heavy front helps to some extent in off-roading specially steep incline climbing where you can bulldoze your way up and still be confident that the car is going to fall forward and not 360 back.....

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by SuhaibKiani View Post
    Generally in our experience, more engine weight upfront is not good for high speed handling, but a heavy front helps to some extent in off-roading specially steep incline climbing where you can bulldoze your way up and still be confident that the car is going to fall forward and not 360 back.....

Thank you Suhaib bhai.

I have few more questions.

1. As per the table, the B series looks quiet heavy, so the 2L and 3L will also be heavier than the petrol versions. What's yr experience as u r also using a 2L in yr jeep?

2. A difference of 300 lbs means around 150 kg's, so will this weight effect the high speed handling?

3. What if we put the same amount of load at the rear of the jeep, like having a jerry cane or a lift jack and by doing this the engine weight difference be catered for?

4. Also what i believe, if replace the shocks by heavier ones, can they improve the high speed handling with a heavy engine.

5. And lastly i am not talking about light weight suzuki's but can a 2000 KG's heavy 4X4 handle 300 or 400 lbs in the shape of engine change?

Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    Thank you Suhaib bhai.

I have few more questions.

1. As per the table, the B series looks quiet heavy, so the 2L and 3L will also be heavier than the petrol versions. What's yr experience as u r also using a 2L in yr jeep?

2. A difference of 300 lbs means around 150 kg's, so will this weight effect the high speed handling?

3. What if we put the same amount of load at the rear of the jeep, like having a jerry cane or a lift jack and by doing this the engine weight difference be catered for?

4. Also what i believe, if replace the shocks by heavier ones, can they improve the high speed handling with a heavy engine.

5. And lastly i am not talking about light weight suzuki's but can a 2000 KG's heavy 4X4 handle 300 or 400 lbs in the shape of engine change?

Regards
    1. The B series is heavy but the F is not light either. The 2LT in my CJ7 jeep is probably lighter than the 6 cyl petrol it originally came with. The turbo adds some weight and the simple 2L and 3L should be slightly lighter still. The correct weight can probably be found on the net but my guess is that it weighs something like 500-600 lbs.

2. Yes, 300lbs / 150 kgs additional hanging off the nose of the car is significant weight and it does change handling quite a bit. But nevertheless, unless you are making a rally car that will take turns at 120kmph it is not that big of a factor in most other stuff we do which is at less than 80 kmph.

3 & 4. Yes, you can always balance the car by putting more weight at the back or by putting heavier springs. Weight however is weight and there is a bit or a difference between a heavy 4x4 and a light 4x4 as you know better . In high speed handling and technical rally sections, on some cars it even makes a discernible difference if your fuel tank is empty or full which is about +-50kgs. In offroading and trail riding, weight can work for you in some cases and be a disadvantage in others.

5. In the end, designing a good car is perhaps more about balance and how the package comes together rather than absolute numbers. Most 4x4s can handle heavier engines very well and will not make a difference 90% of the times.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you Suhaib bhai, all cleared. I knew you are going to give me the best answers. This is definitely going to help. Thanks. Will get back if had any doubts. Just to tell you, i am trying and might get hold of something special.
    Regards

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List