Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TurboTanga

Thread: Buying a 4x4 - HELP Required!!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Buying a 4x4 - HELP Required!!!!

Dear all,

I am looking for a family 4x4 for road trips/excursions to Northern areas once or twice a year. Basically the car will be parked 95% of the time as the family will be using sedans for daily use. This SUV will be more of a twice a year thing. This way petrol consumption is not an issue at all. However I am weighing in the pros and cons as follows:-

1) Availability of Parts: Very important!! I really wouldn't want to spend hours and hours looking for parts for a vehicle I will hardly use. Just want something that the local mechanics can easily deal with and parts can be found in Islamabad/Rawalpindi region.

2) Off-Road Capability: The sole purpose will be trips to Northern areas. So I want something with a serious engine climbing ability.

2) Budget: I have a budget of roughly 7-9 Lacs in mind

I am thinking about an Land Cruiser BJ60/Bj62 in excellent condition or a Nissan Patrol Safari (89-94). I think Patrol is a better vehicle but availability of parts could be an issue. BJ60 seems like a better choice, but I am open to other vehicles like Pajero Intercooler or a 5-door FJ70. Please advice as to which vehicle to choose.

Thanks!
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Initiator View Post
    Dear all,

I am looking for a family 4x4 for road trips/excursions to Northern areas once or twice a year. Basically the car will be parked 95% of the time as the family will be using sedans for daily use. This SUV will be more of a twice a year thing. This way petrol consumption is not an issue at all. However I am weighing in the pros and cons as follows:-

1) Availability of Parts: Very important!! I really wouldn't want to spend hours and hours looking for parts for a vehicle I will hardly use. Just want something that the local mechanics can easily deal with and parts can be found in Islamabad/Rawalpindi region.

2) Off-Road Capability: The sole purpose will be trips to Northern areas. So I want something with a serious engine climbing ability.

I am thinking about an Land Cruiser BJ60/Bj62 in excellent condition or a Nissan Patrol Safari (89-94). I think Patrol is a better vehicle but availability of parts could be an issue. BJ60 seems like a better choice, but I am open to other vehicles like Pajero Intercooler or a 5-door FJ70. Please advice as to which vehicle to choose.

Thanks!

Anyone Brothers? In totality, I want to inquire about the availability of parts and maintenance expenses for BJ60, Nissan Safari and Pajero Intercooler.

Would greatly appreciate help.

Regards,
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I believe 70 series lc would be a better option as parts are easily available, excellent off road capabilities very reliable vehicles and are within your price range.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thanks bro! I have tried to search for a 5-door 70 series in good condition and it seems like the price is more like 12 - 13 lacs, which is a bit over my budget. I am getting more inclined towards BJ60/62, however, I have no idea about the parts and how expensive they are.
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I'd suggest you to go for a mint condition pajero 1st generation it would serve you well and would fit easily into your budget but finding a clean one ain't easy.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Initiator View Post
    Dear all,

Thanks!
    I searched for Prado 91-95 about three years back and came to know that:

1. 90-93 models came with 2LTE 2446 cc engine with square shaped dashboard. Price range 8-11. This engine has got in built fault of head crack. You will see that most of the owners of this model change this engine to 1KZTE 2978 cc, which has got enough torque but it is fuel thirsty. But in my opinion only the engine change is not enough unless you change its gearbox and differentials as well.

2. 94-95 models came with 1KZTE 2978 cc engine with round shaped dashboard and new interior. Price range for a trouble free vehicle could be around 13-15 lacs. A very well maintained 1KZTE can give mileage upto 10km/l on long routes and 7-8km/l in city driving.

3. The problem while searching for jeeps is that you will find mostly tempered vehicles either body change or book of some other auctioned vehicle etc. try to avoid auctioned vehicles as most of them are tempered or atleast abused.

About the comfort see this thread we did it and enjoyed alot without any problem

https://www.pakwheels.com/forums/4x4...nowplow-2013-a

And the most amazing thing is that at every fuel pump station my 60 has got the least fuel to fill up although there was a SWB pajero having 4D56.

So finally I got an HJ60, 3980 cc, 6 cylinder diesel engine, 415000 kms driven throughout in private use, mostly in original paint, the factors which I considered before buying it was that its an old school vehicle with no sensors and very less hassles, its like a pure mechanical machine, so considering its age she wont let you down anywhere up north by some malfunctioning of its sensors etc.

Parts are readily available from montgomery road lahore and are cheap, did all preventive maintainence from Toyota Ravi motors, put new Yokohama Geolandar AT/S and enjoying the ride.

Its giving superb fuel efficiency of 8-8.5 km/l with AC in city and 10 km/l on highway at a speed of 100km/h, although I was quite frightened by its 3980 cc in the beginning but then read alot of forums on www.ih8mud.com regaridng it usage, reliabilty and running cost.

The most enjoyable thing is that I slept in it by folding its rear seats on my recent camping trip to Rohtas fort, by folding its rear seats you get a 5'-6" x 4'-9" (bed enough for two persons) just lay your sleeping bag and you can sleep anywhere in it provided the weather is good. Its not possible in a three door.

Three door versions looks nice and its really a very well performer in offroading but when you consider its practicality for trips to northern areas it fails due to the reason that it has same engine like five door models with far less space.

Its really rough and tough machine offcourse its has not too much accessories but its like a camper vehicle, you can have plenty of luggage in it.

Whatever the vehicle you go for keep atleast 200 thousand margin for new tyres and its routine maintainence incl. all oil & filter changes etc. I just came back from 2700 km journey from skardu, deosai and hunza in just 6 days from Lahore, and our journey continued upto 42 hrs continuous travel with AC with only one hour break each for breakfast, lunch and dinner etc., I really feel proud of my ride that she didn't gave any problem, really tructworthy but you need to have something without alteration and have complete preventive maintenance for such along and hectic journey.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List