Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Need help

Respected members and seniors.

I am technically new to the forum, though i have had this id for sometime, but mostly i have been a silent reader. Now I have issues that have me confused like crazy.

About a year back i bought a 1989 1st Gen 3 door pajero. Intially it was a great car, lots of power (considering i had only driven indus corollas before that). I kept a friends advice, i would regularly change the oil and oil filter at 2500 - 2800 km mark. Occassionally i would mix synthetic oil and diesel cleaners also, which some people told me would do no harm and no good either. But now the issue is, when i press on the accelerator, on the 3rd and the fouth gear, she blows alot of smoke, and then clears as the speed increases. After a long run, she would even stop doing that. But when she does, the smoke is blue or black (at times) with a heavy diesely smell.

Q1) What seems to be the problem? Some told me i should get the automizer serviced and the nozzles checked and the diesel filter changed. Does these things help solve anything?
    Q2) How often should one change the oil filter, air filter, diesel filter?

Then one huge problem started around eid. I was out of the country and i had left the car with my brother-in-law. At that time, the vehical had 235/70R15s fit on it. When i came back he had swapped my tyres with a friends and the vehical was standing on 265/75R16s. Though the car looks awesome with all tht added height and stuff and the tyres look big and mean but the driving pleasure is just not there. Firstly the car wobbles, almost like a pulse. Secondly if i have to turn (full cut) right or left, there is a gut wrenching clang noise. The sick, metal rubbed against mental kind of sound,
    Qs) What generally makes that noise in the car?
    Q) From what i have read 235/70R15 is a standard size for these vehicals. What do i need to do to make this upgrade work for me. Now the handbreaks wont hold specially on steep slopes. If i need to park on such a road, i have to ask someone to slide a rock under the tyres to hold the car in place.

If this post is a very long and boring one and not useful to the forum the mods may please delete it, but i really need help, since this is my first jeep endeavour and i have alot to learn. If any of the seniors could accomodate me and check out the vehical or recommend a good mechanic it would be a great help and save me alot of time and money. I am sure some of you might know me from PakGuns or The gun forum. My name is Fahad Khalid. So whatever help i can get would be hugely appreciated.

Best Regards
    Fahad Khalid

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

you seems to have a good knowledge about your vehicle. You are on the right place and I am sure you will get good responses here. Wait for some experienced pakwheelers to come and respond to your query. I am also waiting for the reply for the knowledge purpose. The first smoke thing seems to be related to the engine weekness, if and only if it works like this all the time but in your case it looks like fixing the nozzles and changing the Diesel Filter will fix it for sure.
    Enjoy the little things in life, for one day you'll look back and realize they were the big things

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am planning to do that on saturday and i hope tht takes away the smoke problems. BTW one more thing i noticed, that as the speed-o-meter goes about 60, she starts blowing a thick cloud (mercy to the bikers behind me), but as i keep accelerating, the smoke would thin out and totally stop when i hit around 90 kmph.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by pajerolover View Post
    Respected members and seniors.

I am technically new to the forum, though i have had this id for sometime, but mostly i have been a silent reader. Now I have issues that have me confused like crazy.

About a year back i bought a 1989 1st Gen 3 door pajero. Intially it was a great car, lots of power (considering i had only driven indus corollas before that). I kept a friends advice, i would regularly change the oil and oil filter at 2500 - 2800 km mark. Occassionally i would mix synthetic oil and diesel cleaners also, which some people told me would do no harm and no good either. But now the issue is, when i press on the accelerator, on the 3rd and the fouth gear, she blows alot of smoke, and then clears as the speed increases. After a long run, she would even stop doing that. But when she does, the smoke is blue or black (at times) with a heavy diesely smell.

a. Please share what is odometer reading and if the engine / diesel pump (automiser) / Injectors (nozzles) been reworked by you or earlier owners -?

Q1) What seems to be the problem? Some told me i should get the automizer serviced and the nozzles checked and the diesel filter changed. Does these things help solve anything?

b. pump timing could be a problem

c. changing of 3 items mentioned above depend upon your driving habits & terrain. Air filter plays vital role in the diesel engine for performance, if you are a city commuter change engine oil between 3500 to 5000 kms. engine oil filter, diesel fuel filter & air filter between 5000 - 8000 kms

Then one huge problem started around eid. I was out of the country and i had left the car with my brother-in-law. At that time, the vehical had 235/70R15s fit on it. When i came back he had swapped my tyres with a friends and the vehical was standing on 265/75R16s. Though the car looks awesome with all tht added height and stuff and the tyres look big and mean but the driving pleasure is just not there. Firstly the car wobbles, almost like a pulse. Secondly if i have to turn (full cut) right or left, there is a gut wrenching clang noise. The sick, metal rubbed against mental kind of sound,

a. please check if wheels were swapped with NEW ones or from yard tyres known as KABULI Tyre, jack up freely rotate every wheel and feel the foot print with your hand slowly feel every cm if there are any bulges in the foot print that also cause of wobble. 2ndly check for wheel balancing.

b. raise the front start the engine keep car in neutral with hand brake engaged and rotate the steering wheel see where it is hitting the suspension bars & side walls. check for suspension springs & if those are in place and not bulging.

c. check for front suspension mounts for any cracks or de-shape.

Qs) What generally makes that noise in the car?

Q) From what i have read 235/70R15 is a standard size for these vehicals. What do i need to do to make this upgrade work for me. Now the handbreaks wont hold specially on steep slopes. If i need to park on such a road, i have to ask someone to slide a rock under the tyres to hold the car in place.

for hand brake check the cable linkage & rear brake shoes. wheel swap has no relation to hand brake performance as the REAR disk / drum is locked when hand brake is engaged.- in some 4x4s the hand brake is applied over drive shaft.

If this post is a very long and boring one and not useful to the forum the mods may please delete it, but i really need help, since this is my first jeep endeavour and i have alot to learn. If any of the seniors could accomodate me and check out the vehical or recommend a good mechanic it would be a great help and save me alot of time and money. I am sure some of you might know me from PakGuns or The gun forum. My name is Fahad Khalid. So whatever help i can get would be hugely appreciated.

Best Regards
    Fahad Khalid
    I tried my best to share my knowledge in this respect, we address each other member with the nick name maintaining a line of respect & regard for each other, -am just an amature and still learning very much from this forum.

pro members like Xulfiqar, Rustam, SER_GTR, and many more will guide you better
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

for diesel pump service workshop use search option of the forum, a time tested place for diesel pump service location address is shared number of times for precise tune-up & best fuel economy of diesel vehicles
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Ans: Before messing up with engine use original Toyota Diesel Injector Cleaner and change your diesel filter & see if the problem resolves.

Ans: Other than Liqui Moly Oil & Le - ppon Filters, Oil & filters should be changed at 2500km

Secondly, you have installed the rong size of tires, this size is not recommended without body lift! Try to get hands on 265/75/15 or 31x10.50 R15! Which is the rite size.

According to me Noise is due to the huge tires which are touching the body while cutting!

As @capsat said check for balancing & get your suspension checked by expert. If you need any other thing let me know.!
    https://www.facebook.com/CAR.Fest.Pak

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for all your help guys, helped me learnt alot. I do use diesel injector cleaning fluids. I drive around 100-120 km per day on average. So add one bottle every month or so. I dont know if thats too frequent or too less, but thats how much i use. I have never used the toyota one specifically. I got the vehical at about 55-56k kms. Now the meter shows 107k kms. I have changed the diesel filter twice uptil now, i have the oil changed at every 2500-2800 kms and the air filter at around 1200-1500 kms.
    One thing i learnt, is tht my suspension needs work and the hubs also (something my mechanic kept referring to as the hockey). @Demoniod, bro is there a way, where i can workout a middle level. I mean i really like the 16s, so what i mean is, is there a size, where i can change the thickness and the footprint size and yet keep the 16 inch rims?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you for all your help guys, helped me learnt alot. I do use diesel injector cleaning fluids. I drive around 100-120 km per day on average. So add one bottle every month or so. I dont know if thats too frequent or too less, but thats how much i use. I have never used the toyota one specifically. I got the vehical at about 55-56k kms. Now the meter shows 107k kms. I have changed the diesel filter twice uptil now, i have the oil changed at every 2500-2800 kms and the air filter at around 1200-1500 kms.
    One thing i learnt, is tht my suspension needs work and the hubs also (something my mechanic kept referring to as the hockey). @Demoniod, bro is there a way, where i can workout a middle level. I mean i really like the 16s, so what i mean is, is there a size, where i can change the thickness and the footprint size and yet keep the 16 inch rims?
    Bro, that is too frequent, Only use Toyota Genuine Diesel Injector Cleaner that will cost you around 2000-2300 rs. I only used once
    , Secondly if you want 16's then you have to get your car trimmed & lifted so tires dont touch your body, otherwise, 31x10.50 R15 is a good size i.e around (267/76/15) which is more than enough for your car, by 16s your average will get low

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@PajeroLover visit this suspension shop ask Afzal how to mange without doing any major work.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

You are spending money in all the wrong places.
    Using synthetic oil then atleast change at 5000kms and change the oil filter and air filter too.
    Get your engines compression checked if its okay then no problem other wise it might need overhauling. Check the turbo and fuel pump. If all of this is fine then i believe its workable to live with little bit of black smoke.

Keep the 16's but but a smaller tire on it something like 225 or 245
    Only tire size does not improve the look all depends on the rims and its offset. So even if you down size your tire and keep same rims the stance of the car will not change.
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I went for the suspension repair today. I first went to the shop that has been discussed here in the link capsat gave, but alas, it was a saturday and i was a bit late. I reached Mr. Afzal at about 12 and he already had 5 cars, but he was a gentleman when i told him i was referred by pakwheels and he was blunt enough to tell me, that had i been a walk in customer he would have turned my jeep down, but since i came referred by pakwheels members so he would adjust me on tuesday. A kind offer but one that i had to refuse because the only day i have free is saturday. So i had to politely tell him my problem, and had to move on another suspension guy who had been referred to by another friend of mine. Its in the tibet center lane, goes by the name of Diamond suspension and the guy there is named farooq. They could only do the front suspension today. The ball joints were broken and were replaced by chinese ones, since the only japnese availble were the kabuli type and until i had learn more about them i dint want to take a risk on used parts. The chinese ones cost me 2900 and the guy was asking for 6500 for the kabuli ones. So i choose the shiny new ones, but if i did wrong please correct me. I can always go back and get the kabuli ones. The suspension was okay according to the guy and looked pretty good also, it did not rattle very much and dint have alot of play. Then there was this huge rod, with brackets, ran between the front tyres, i dont exactly know what tht is called but that need a bit of repair. Now there is no noise comming from the front of the car, the metal crunching noise tht came when i full cut the steering, is not there anymore. The alignment is way out, but the guy asked me give it a couple of days before the alignment, but please comment on that also, shud i get the alignment done right away, or should i give it a couple of days.
    Since i was there pretty much the whole day, i dint want to waste tht fully. So while they were working on the car, i bought some paint and painted the rims black, got some rubber pipping for the doors, changed the rubber in my extended fenders, rubber pipping in the rear door. So that was some of the DIY stuff i did. Doesnt do anything for the performance of the car i know, but i feel happy i know did something to change her appearance. Will post the pics tommorow. You guys can comment on wether she looks better with silver rims or the black ones. Thank you guys for your input so far, its been a good learning exprience and i hope you seniors continue to give a newbie some time everynow and then. Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I went for the suspension repair today. I first went to the shop that has been discussed here in the link capsat gave, but alas, it was a saturday and i was a bit late. I reached Mr. Afzal at about 12 and he already had 5 cars, but he was a gentleman when i told him i was referred by pakwheels and he was blunt enough to tell me, that had i been a walk in customer he would have turned my jeep down, but since i came referred by pakwheels members so he would adjust me on tuesday. A kind offer but one that i had to refuse because the only day i have free is saturday. So i had to politely tell him my problem, and had to move on another suspension guy who had been referred to by another friend of mine. Its in the tibet center lane, goes by the name of Diamond suspension and the guy there is named farooq. They could only do the front suspension today. The ball joints were broken and were replaced by chinese ones, since the only japnese availble were the kabuli type and until i had learn more about them i dint want to take a risk on used parts. The chinese ones cost me 2900 and the guy was asking for 6500 for the kabuli ones. So i choose the shiny new ones, but if i did wrong please correct me. I can always go back and get the kabuli ones. The suspension was okay according to the guy and looked pretty good also, it did not rattle very much and dint have alot of play. Then there was this huge rod, with brackets, ran between the front tyres, i dont exactly know what tht is called but that need a bit of repair. Now there is no noise comming from the front of the car, the metal crunching noise tht came when i full cut the steering, is not there anymore. The alignment is way out, but the guy asked me give it a couple of days before the alignment, but please comment on that also, shud i get the alignment done right away, or should i give it a couple of days.
    Since i was there pretty much the whole day, i dint want to waste tht fully. So while they were working on the car, i bought some paint and painted the rims black, got some rubber pipping for the doors, changed the rubber in my extended fenders, rubber pipping in the rear door. So that was some of the DIY stuff i did. Doesnt do anything for the performance of the car i know, but i feel happy i know did something to change her appearance. Will post the pics tommorow. You guys can comment on wether she looks better with silver rims or the black ones. Thank you guys for your input so far, its been a good learning exprience and i hope you seniors continue to give a newbie some time everynow and then. Regards
    Yes you did totally wrong....
    Dear Sir, Its pajero not mehran that you went for shiny Ball joints lol, chinese ones wont last for long, even do 1-2 offroad tracks of 50-60 km, their life will get down to half... So you should go for kabuli, do some bargaining & you will get them for around 4500-5000 & try if you get your hands on original MMC Japanese ball joints....

That rod which is between two front tires, is balance rod, also check it bushing, replace them if they need to be replaced.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

The balance rod. Thats what he called it also. It looked fine but yes all the bushes were changed including the bushes on the shock absorbers. But again one question remains unanswered. Do i get the alignment done asap or wait a few days? One more thing, that i noticed when i went for a short drive half an hour ago, i dont have cutting on the right side of my steering. i mean when i steer to the right, my steering only allows one revoloution, where as it goes about 3 on the left. So turning a lane to the right at 90 degree is impossible in one go, i have to stop, reverse, adjust and then clear the lane.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

sorry forgot to reply abt that, get the alignment done asap, your cutting problem will be solved too

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Name:  1379862162216.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  77.9 KB
    This is about 3 months ago. The tyres then were 235/70 R15. No cosmetics at the time except the stickers which the old owner had put. Those have been removed i hated the colorful waves on the jeep

Now she looks like this. The paint on the rims is only a single coat. Do comment wether she looks better the black rims or the silver ones. These tyres are the 265/70/R16s which need to be changed.
    Name:  1379862344152.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  144.6 KB

In a few months i want to add a snorkel, change the bonnet (keep the orignal aside and maybe hve the air box a bit changed to give it a slightly meaner look), and maybe a small spoiler at the back.
    An airbox that looks something like this
    Need help -1270620

i took a chance on the suspension guy today, and luckily he was open. So I got the suspension work done today. The cutting problem is not there anymore, had the ball joints replaced with the kabuli ones. Got them for 5200. The guy was not willing to come down below 6k, but i convinced him by telling him about another friend whose car needs massive repairing on the suspension and tht i would be more than happy to recommend him The shiny ball joints put in yesterday were exchanged for -500 (so that means 2400).

Sent from my GT-I9300 using PW Forums mobile app

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

_ get alignment done, - keep tyre pressure equal in all 4. (under 30 psi) for urban ride. keep camera handy whenever you visit workshop snap old parts new parts & areas worked upon. & share with us here on forum for comments.

keep in mind, if you have only selected days free - do visit your choice of workshop / mechanic a day or 2 ahead of free day make an appointment for your day off and reach the place early.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i got time yesterday, with all the rallys going on and most of my meetings getting cancelled, i went and got the alignment on my car done. Needless to say its a very smooth ride now. But one other customer at my alignment wala, has me confused again. He was driving a cultus and has never been seen driving a 4x4 by the tyre wala, but he was giving advices right left and center. He walks upto me very confidently and started talking about 4x4s and then he drops it on me. "This jeep should be raised up by about 2 inches from the rear". Now i am confused, since imagining it, the car would have her rear high up while the nose dives down. So seniors question time

1) Was the guy talking sense?
    2) if so, what good would come out of raising the car from one end and not the other?
    3) if i do a complete lift (as in raise the car up front and back) would tht make for alot alterations?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i got time yesterday, with all the rallys going on and most of my meetings getting cancelled, i went and got the alignment on my car done. Needless to say its a very smooth ride now. But one other customer at my alignment wala, has me confused again. He was driving a cultus and has never been seen driving a 4x4 by the tyre wala, but he was giving advices right left and center. He walks upto me very confidently and started talking about 4x4s and then he drops it on me. "This jeep should be raised up by about 2 inches from the rear". Now i am confused, since imagining it, the car would have her rear high up while the nose dives down. So seniors question time

1) Was the guy talking sense?
    2) if so, what good would come out of raising the car from one end and not the other?
    3) if i do a complete lift (as in raise the car up front and back) would tht make for alot alterations?
    If you lift your car by even 2 inches, you will loose ur road grip of the vehicle in high speeds whenever heavy brake is applied........lifting is only good if you are a calm driver and drive below 80 or you do off roading.....lifting shifts the CG of the vehicle which directly effects ur car road grip..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am not much of an off roader except an occassional drive along sea view but yes i am a rash driver and tend to get bitten by the race bug. But i do have bigger tyres as i mentioned earlier the 265/70/R16s. So keeping tht in mind if i keep bigger tyres and lift the car wud dat balance the CoG?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I am not much of an off roader except an occassional drive along sea view but yes i am a rash driver and tend to get bitten by the race bug. But i do have bigger tyres as i mentioned earlier the 265/70/R16s. So keeping tht in mind if i keep bigger tyres and lift the car wud dat balance the CoG?

I have 275/70 R 16 in my Toyota Surf 97, I had the same problem of tires scrubbing during turns......I lifted my surf by 2 inches but lost the road grip which made it dangerously slippery so decided to change the tires and to remove the spacers.......body lift may give you what you want but for that you may need a proper body lift
    kit...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List