Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default help needed regarding land cruiser 1988/89 model

hi all..
    pleasure being in this world on the forum.
    i m planning to buy a land cruiser 88 or 89.. i think its Fj 62 or 60. i have some questions which i need help with, before finalizing the decision.
    currently i own a honda civic 97 vti. previously owned a townace and sold it after keeping for 4 yrs . due to my height and also family comfort and space needed, i always prefer the bigger vehicles. and considering it coz of these reasons

i just saw one landcruiser of the above mentioned model with CNG and petrol engine. its 24 valve 3000 cc petrol engine. i think its 1RZ. two cng cylinders installed. the car is totally in its genuine condition and very well kept. tyres are in very good condition. the AC isnt working. and the vehicle is peshawar registered. its a manual vehicle i have the following questions

1. what should be the price consideration ?
    2. are the parts easily available?
    3. what about the maintenance cost?
    4. can it be considered for motorway travels? i often have to go to villages and also in the hills for medical camps and all that
    5. do u think its a good consideration for this vehicle ?

the timely responses from the 4x4 community will be highly anticipated.

regards
    Dr. Ambrose Emmanuel
    Abbottabad

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Please do not purchase a 4x4 vehicle with Petrol engine & CNG. it will be dead investment.

Have heart buy a diesel engine vehicle with stock setup, we all will see CNG vanishing for transport sector in near future. Diesel engine performs well & give better fuel economy if the pump is precisely tuned.

read 4x4 thread for further indepth information.

last point as a suggestion: DO NOT USE WATER, DIESEL, KEROSENE to BATHe your vehicle engine, Specially when warm. Clean engine & engine bay when cold use degreaser and moist cloth for engine & bay cleaning as if you are cleaning a glass top dinning table.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    Please do not purchase a 4x4 vehicle with Petrol engine & CNG. it will be dead investment.

Have heart buy a diesel engine vehicle with stock setup, we all will see CNG vanishing for transport sector in near future. Diesel engine performs well & give better fuel economy if the pump is precisely tuned.

read 4x4 thread for further indepth information.

last point as a suggestion: DO NOT USE WATER, DIESEL, KEROSENE to BATHe your vehicle engine, Specially when warm. Clean engine & engine bay when cold use degreaser and moist cloth for engine & bay cleaning as if you are cleaning a glass top dinning table.
    thank you so much for such valuable info ...by the way, i never used water even for the engine bay ....

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

strange that so many viewed this post but no one is here to reply ... need guidance.. people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

I have a BJ60 with 3B diesel for the last 1 year. its a great ride no doubt. i use it as a second car only, mostly use on weekends. spares is not an issue in Rwp atleast. as far as price is concerned, it must be under 800k depending upon the condition..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Let me share my experience

Got an HJ60, 3980 cc, 6 cylinder diesel engine, 415000 kms driven throughout in private use, mostly in original paint, the factors which I considered before buying it was that its an old school vehicle with no sensors and very less hassles, its like a pure mechanical machine, so considering its age she wont let you down anywhere up north by some malfunctioning of its sensors etc.

Parts are readily available from montgomery road lahore and are cheap, did all preventive maintainence from Toyota Ravi motors, put new Yokohama Geolandar AT/S and enjoying the ride.

Its giving superb fuel efficiency of 8-8.5 km/l with AC in city and 10 km/l on highway at a speed of 100km/h, although I was quite frightened by its 3980 cc in the beginning but then read alot of forums on www.ih8mud.com regaridng it usage, reliabilty and running cost.

The most enjoyable thing is that I slept in it by folding its rear seats on my recent camping trip to Rohtas fort, by folding its rear seats you get a 5'-6" x 4'-9" (bed enough for two persons) just lay your sleeping bag and you can sleep anywhere in it provided the weather is good. Its not possible in a three door.

Three door versions looks nice and its really a very well performer in offroading but when you consider its practicality for trips to northern areas it fails due to the reason that it has same engine like five door models with far less space.

Its really rough and tough machine offcourse its has not too much accessories but its like a camper vehicle, you can have plenty of luggage in it.

Whatever the vehicle you go for keep atleast 100 thousand margin for its routine maintainence incl. all oil & filter changes etc. I just came back from 2700 km journey from skardu, deosai and hunza in just 6 days from Lahore, and our journey continued upto 42 hrs continuous travel with AC with only one hour break each for breakfast, lunch and dinner etc., I really feel proud of my ride that she didn't gave any problem, really tructworthy but you need to have something without alteration and have complete preventive maintenance for such along and hectic journey.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Ambee recommendations will depend upon the budget you are ready to spare, no doubt 60 series is a nice vehicle in its budget (under 6 or 7 lacs) but if you add 1 or two lacs then I would recommend Nissan Patrol and if you are ready to add some more then LC 80 series is an ultimate vehicle.
    To all the extreme drivers, please come offroad like ME to keep others safe on the roads.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Exclamation

Strict advice: Buy a pajero.
    Vehicle History: Pajero 1 & 2 (4d55 Non-Turbo - 4d56 Turbo & 4M40 I-C Turbo) / Land Cruiser BJ60(13B-T Turbo) / Nissan Patrol GQ(Td422 Non-Turbo)

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jehanzebnasir View Post
    Let me share my experience

Got an HJ60, 3980 cc, 6 cylinder diesel engine, 415000 kms driven throughout in private use, mostly in original paint, the factors which I considered before buying it was that its an old school vehicle with no sensors and very less hassles, its like a pure mechanical machine, so considering its age she wont let you down anywhere up north by some malfunctioning of its sensors etc.

Parts are readily available from montgomery road lahore and are cheap, did all preventive maintainence from Toyota Ravi motors, put new Yokohama Geolandar AT/S and enjoying the ride.

Its giving superb fuel efficiency of 8-8.5 km/l with AC in city and 10 km/l on highway at a speed of 100km/h, although I was quite frightened by its 3980 cc in the beginning but then read alot of forums on www.ih8mud.com regaridng it usage, reliabilty and running cost.

The most enjoyable thing is that I slept in it by folding its rear seats on my recent camping trip to Rohtas fort, by folding its rear seats you get a 5'-6" x 4'-9" (bed enough for two persons) just lay your sleeping bag and you can sleep anywhere in it provided the weather is good. Its not possible in a three door.

Three door versions looks nice and its really a very well performer in offroading but when you consider its practicality for trips to northern areas it fails due to the reason that it has same engine like five door models with far less space.

Its really rough and tough machine offcourse its has not too much accessories but its like a camper vehicle, you can have plenty of luggage in it.

Whatever the vehicle you go for keep atleast 100 thousand margin for its routine maintainence incl. all oil & filter changes etc. I just came back from 2700 km journey from skardu, deosai and hunza in just 6 days from Lahore, and our journey continued upto 42 hrs continuous travel with AC with only one hour break each for breakfast, lunch and dinner etc., I really feel proud of my ride that she didn't gave any problem, really tructworthy but you need to have something without alteration and have complete preventive maintenance for such along and hectic journey.
    thank you so much for such vital info... indeed it really helped me alot in deciding ... currently i cant spare some extra budget and also the one i m considering is in petrol and gas ... so do u recommend it ??? the ac isnt working.. would need, i think, some 4-5k for that...
    what do u suggest ?? the car is in total genuine condition with outstanding tyres condition...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by fuma View Post
    Strict advice: Buy a pajero.
    i m an absolute fan of pajero exceed intercooler... but a good rather an immaculate condition one costs around 12-13... and that i dont want to spare... i just need a bigger vehicle, hassle free and with good enough room ..

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jeepaholic View Post
    @Ambee recommendations will depend upon the budget you are ready to spare, no doubt 60 series is a nice vehicle in its budget (under 6 or 7 lacs) but if you add 1 or two lacs then I would recommend Nissan Patrol and if you are ready to add some more then LC 80 series is an ultimate vehicle.
    indeed nissan patrol is a great option but toyota is always readily available as far as parts are concerned and also the parts are cheaper.. i used to have townace previously.. and absolutely loved it due to enough room

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

My 2 cents, these vehicles are known as 60 series land cruisers. A 4 cyl diesel is BJ 60 BJ 61, a 4 cylinder diesel is HJ 60 Hj 61 and a 6 cylinder petrol is known as FJ 60, FJ 62. In pakistan 40% vehicles are body changed and are illegal. It will be helpful if you post few pics of the veh u are buying. Now yr questions

1. what should be the price consideration ?
    Between 4 lacs and 8 lacs, depending on the condition of body, engine, gear, differentials, and few other imp things.

2. are the parts easily available?
    Everything is available

3. what about the maintenance cost?
    Once maintained properly, they need very less repairs.

4. can it be considered for motorway travels? i often have to go to villages and also in the hills for medical camps and all that
    For this, it is the most suitable veh around, specially in this budget. U can even go to karachi without being tired.

5. do u think its a good consideration for this vehicle ?

Once u buy a 60, and you'll be hooked with it forever.

Moreover, a 3000cc looks underpowered for this almost 2500KG's weight. I have owned three BJ's and 2 FJ's and driven many in the last ten yrs, a CNG is not recommended at all. On petrol, it will do not more than 6KMs / Ltr and 2 CNG cylinders will run it for not more than 140 KM/s. So not a sensible decision at all. A good 3B or 2H will do 8 to 9 KM/s on long.

If you need any further information, u can call me on 0333 5119925.

Regards
    Noman

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

noman8ff have given good info and he is a gem of knowledge specially for 60s, I am also his student, as advised by noman8ff, try to find one without alteration means without body change and with original engine, my 60 have done 415000 kms with its stock unoverhauled engine and believe me it consumes no oil even now, these beasts lasts longer if taken proper care, you can find on the internet that these engines i.e. 3B and 2H even lasts for 1 million kms, you will find some examples from newzealand, canada or US, for an original and working 60 you might need to spend sometime, it took me an year to find a non altered 60 with stock engine and 5fwd gearbox.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jehanzebnasir View Post
    noman8ff have given good info and he is a gem of knowledge specially for 60s, I am also his student, as advised by noman8ff, try to find one without alteration means without body change and with original engine, my 60 have done 415000 kms with its stock unoverhauled engine and believe me it consumes no oil even now, these beasts lasts longer if taken proper care, you can find on the internet that these engines i.e. 3B and 2H even lasts for 1 million kms, you will find some examples from newzealand, canada or US, for an original and working 60 you might need to spend sometime, it took me an year to find a non altered 60 with stock engine and 5fwd gearbox.
    Sir apnay aap ko mera shagird keh kar mujhay sharminda mat karain.

I totally agree with what you said about the engines of these monsters. Personally my experience about all the engines of these 60's is as follows.

1. 12 HT 6 cyl diesel, turbo chrged
    Both top speed power and acceleration is very good.
    Lacks controlled power distribution in low gears, because of the turbo. With controlled power distribution, i mean in rock crawling it becomes difficult to handle a turbo charged engine and at times it feels over powered hence handling becomes difficult.
    Few complain about turbo malfunctioning.
    6 to 7 ltr in a KM on long
    Almost 10 ltr engine oil

2. 2F, 3F, 4200cc and 3995 cc respectively, both 6 cyl petrol.
    Good top speed, good acceleration
    1st gear is the worst on road, you'll have to half press the clutch even wile crossing a speed breaker.
    Easy to maintain except the carboretor
    Hardcore offroading is 50 50 as far as handling is concerned
    5 to 7 km in a ltr
    6 ltr engine oil

3. 3B 4 cyl diesel 3500cc
    Bad top speed
    At times sluggish, u need to adjust yrself with it, specially on motorways
    1st gear is very good, no need to press cluch on speed breakers,
    B series engines are knows to be very reliable
    Reasonably good low end torque
    Slightly noisy
    8 to 9 km in a ltr
    6 ltr oil

4. 2H 6 cylinder diesel 4000 (pls correct me if i am wrong)
    Good top speed
    Both top end and low ends have power.
    No turbo and very easy to maintain
    Sound engine voice
    Very good power
    7 to 8 km in a ltr
    10 ltr oil approx

In short, all engines have good or bad points but over all, they are all worth it. For me 2H is the best followed by a 3B. Than comes a 12HT and lastly the F series (petrol) ones. As i said, you buy a 60 once and surely you'll be hooked with it for ever. And secondly, these are land cruisers, not "prado's". An 89 cruiser's price will be around 6, 7 or max 8 lacs and u go up for a 90 cruiser and you'll not find a good veh worth less than 10 or may be 12 lacs. Again i would request you to post pics of the veh, and the complete chassis code and i'll give you all details about it's diffs, gear and the plant where it was manufactured.

Regards
    Noman

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thank you so much guys for such a detailed indepth. i m really obliged. one more question. what about the pajero intercooler???
    i m not totally into offroading and all.. and i just want a hassle free bigger vehicle in a low budget. i used to own a townace previously, as i mentioned earlier. my civic isnt giving me any problems except that i feel its kinda small.

thanks in advance for ur time to read it

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What's yr budget?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

around 7.5
    Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    What's yr budget?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1017 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

in replacement to a TOWNACE .. I'd suggest a SUZUKI APV, unless you want to explore off-road tracks.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Ambee View Post
    around 7.5
    In 7.5 you'll not be able to get hold of a good pajero specially after 90 models, so stick to land cruiser.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dear Dr Ambrose,
    Noaman 8 FF is a very knowledgeable person in these issues, and in 60 series.
    I would give his advice a good consideration......
    Ranger
    Abbottabad
    Ranger of the North---Didn't Get Any Speeding Ticket While I had the Unimog. Since I bought a Cruiser, I get a speeding ticket every now and then.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List