72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Increasing power of a petrol engine

As stated in a different thread, i have a 660cc (engine of suzuki jimny) in my little sujuki jimny LJ 50, 1978 model, weighing around 570 KG's. The engine is a simple carborated one with no turbo and non efi. It has a very low ratio 4X4 and a very low ration diff, ie 8:39 which comes out to be 4.875. The power as per the total veh weight is good but at times i feel i need more power specially on highways/ motorways. I had earlier decided to go for a diesel engine but as per the suggestions of few friends changed my mind. Now out of the these the following options what i should go for? Need opinion.

1. To fix a turbo on the existing engine. These 660cc jimny engines have come with tubo's also so finding one will be no problem.

2. To get a 660cc efi engine with original turbo?

3. To get a 660cc twin cam efi engine?

4. To replace the existing engine with a 1000cc potohar engine? For that i'll have to change the transmission also.

5. A stupid idea but that's what my mechanic told me that he will open the carborater and will make changes to the jets and in result it will run like a rocket with some more fuel consumption may be.

Need opinion of experts.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    283 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Best is to get a sealed turbo engine, you can also go for a better carburetor like a weber (probably will cost more than a new engine), your mechanic's tip of replacing the jets might also work.

You can slso try richening the carb air fuel ratio, idle pe kacha mehsoos hoga, but there will be some improvement at the cost of fuel economy, but this is not easy to get right
    haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

ok thanks bro, will discuss this with the mechanic.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What ever You do ..the little 660cc will lack the torque most of the time...
    If you want to stay with 660cc than buy a 660cc efi turbo with manual ECU and RE Programme the ECU and you can enjoy some good bits of power.
    other wise fitting a APV motor also offered in Jimny (same as Baleno GA-15A) Off course the distributed one is the best solution for your rigs with heaps of power and lots of fuel economy and advantage of having installing a bigger clutch too...
    happy motoring and do also think about installing a diesel variant like 1ND-TV(Toyota 1.4 Litre) is the best possible solution with having advantages of D4D and latest technology as well. but you have to source that engine .

Happy Motoring & best wishes
    Old is Gold
    Sulfide by Nature ....Trained & Tuned @ Toyota,,,,,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by joinami View Post
    What ever You do ..the little 660cc will lack the torque most of the time...
    If you want to stay with 660cc than buy a 660cc efi turbo with manual ECU and RE Programme the ECU and you can enjoy some good bits of power.
    other wise fitting a APV motor also offered in Jimny (same as Baleno GA-15A) Off course the distributed one is the best solution for your rigs with heaps of power and lots of fuel economy and advantage of having installing a bigger clutch too...
    happy motoring and do also think about installing a diesel variant like 1ND-TV(Toyota 1.4 Litre) is the best possible solution with having advantages of D4D and latest technology as well. but you have to source that engine .

Happy Motoring & best wishes

Thank you brother. I shall also consider these options. The option of, "diesel variant like 1ND-TV(Toyota 1.4 Litre)" sounds vert interesting. In which vehicles have these engines come? I am basically a fan of diesel. Considered having the 1N but in the market of Pindi' Isb there are no 1N engines available.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

can someone tell me availability of diesel engine 1N at peshawar?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    28 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by noman8ff View Post
    Thank you brother. I shall also consider these options. The option of, "diesel variant like 1ND-TV(Toyota 1.4 Litre)" sounds vert interesting. In which vehicles have these engines come? I am basically a fan of diesel. Considered having the 1N but in the market of Pindi' Isb there are no 1N engines available.
    This engine offered in variety of applications because of its fuel efficient features.
    like Corolla (still available in india)
    Yaris or Vitz
    Ractis
    IQ
    Mini
    and few more...I have seen these engines in Japan Market many times.
    also Sourcing a japanese 1N is not a difficult thing.
    But keep in mind when ever using 1N in rear wheel configuration to remove fuel pump load from its CAM as it uses the mechanical fuel pump instead of injector and also the main problem in 1N head is the CAM shaft mountings so it will be very good if you fabricate a special timing cover mounts to support the moving CAM shaft at outer edges as well. i have done it few times and the 1N engine never gave any problem .
    I have used 1N engine in rear wheel configuration with many Toyota T-50 transmissions and it never failed..
    Happy motoring. I think Your LJ-50 lacks the independent Frame Chassis ?
    Cheers
    Old is Gold
    Sulfide by Nature ....Trained & Tuned @ Toyota,,,,,,

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by joinami View Post
    This engine offered in variety of applications because of its fuel efficient features.
    like Corolla (still available in india)
    Yaris or Vitz
    Ractis
    IQ
    Mini
    and few more...I have seen these engines in Japan Market many times.
    also Sourcing a japanese 1N is not a difficult thing.
    But keep in mind when ever using 1N in rear wheel configuration to remove fuel pump load from its CAM as it uses the mechanical fuel pump instead of injector and also the main problem in 1N head is the CAM shaft mountings so it will be very good if you fabricate a special timing cover mounts to support the moving CAM shaft at outer edges as well. i have done it few times and the 1N engine never gave any problem .
    I have used 1N engine in rear wheel configuration with many Toyota T-50 transmissions and it never failed..
    Happy motoring. I think Your LJ-50 lacks the independent Frame Chassis ?
    Cheers

this was really some valuable information. i will surely consider all these points you mentioned. thanks for the support.

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List