Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Toyota LC80. worth considering?

hi all
    an honor to be interactive some, in this forum. i need your valuable advice and suggestions, forum!
    i currently have a honda civic 97 vti which i am looking into selling coz of expanding family and my frequent tours off the main highway in villages and areas with no or very poor roads. i am looking for an SUV. recently drove a surf, which really changed my mind and misconception about the diesel vehicles that they are heavy on fuel as compared to petrol, infact i found it very reasonable.
    anyways, a close family friend is selling out a white color islamabad LC80 4200 cc manual in perfect shape mechanically and externally and the wheels are in perfect shape too. the interior is very clean. the chasis is the original one as on the registration copy, but the entire body has been swapped/ changed. is it gona be any problem? the owner was asking 1.2million for the vehicle but due to close terms, it would be negotiated.
    can you guys suggest, how much is reasonable for that? and if the body swap is gona creat an issue for me in the future? how is the fuel mileage for this vehicle ? its a manual one. i would appreciate a personal experience by someone owning one.both in city and highway.

would be looking forward to your very valuable and informative advices.

regards
    Dr. Ambrose Emmanuel
    Abbottabad

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dr. Ambrose, Although i don't own an lc80, but i have other toyota SUVs. i would like to add my 2 cents.
    Body swap is absolutely nothing to worry about. most old yota suvs here in Pakistan have been through it. body swap and engine swap is fine only if the proper documentation is done. You can't expect a 20+ years old vehicle to be in good condition without such modifications.
    coming to the engine part. although 1hd is a great engine, but if you want more fun i recommend that you go for the 4500CC multivalve version of the Landcruiser. and you should be glad that it's manual transmission. Automatic transmission fails in such old vehicles. Make sure that the 4x4 system is in working condition. and also share if it's electronic hublock or manual?
    Can't say about the fuel mileage as i do not own any vehicle with a 1hd engine.
    Price sounds reasonable but please share the model of the lc that you're looking to buy.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Dr. you didn't mention what year it is? In any case for what you have described, LC80 would be best possible option, period. Its both functional on road and with rich offroad pedigree, find herself equally capable there. if the condition is as you described then the price you mentioned is amazing. I've kept an LC80 till recently and couldn't have been happier with anything else.<br>As for body swap, I don't think that is any problem as long as chasis number is proper on papers.<br> Regards
    I may get Lost But I don't get stuck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

When a body is changed proper paper work is needed, custom duty on the body has to be paid and receipt of payment to be attached in the file. If this is not done vehicle can be confiscated.

Secondly the surf you drove would be auto and manual takes a takes away the charm...

Thirdly considering the price engine would be 1hz or 1hd-t so possibly it should give 5-7km/litre
    RIP

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

oh sorry. forgot to mention...
    its 93 model ...

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

heck 93 for that price.. many would be willing to buy
    I may get Lost But I don't get stuck!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@Ambee

You did not mention the engine. Alright it is a a 4.2 Diesel but is it an HZ or HD?

In terms of running costs 1KZ and 1HZ/1HD should deliver similar figures....and we all know the TLCs are exceptionally well built, if you sort out the issues(which I suppose a 20 year old vehicle will have) it will serve you well for many more years.

Regarding the body swap... I am not sure bout the legalities....I think it should not be a problem where you live, but in Punjab the authorities have a habit of making something out nothing....so you need to check that out with excise, custom and police departments ideally.

For 1.2 million you won't find a decent car, and as you mentioned that this vehicle is in top order, its a deal not miss.

TC
    -

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Body change is totally illegal unless you pay the custom of the body which was an option earlier but as per the latest SRO of customs, a body changed vehicle once confiscated, will not be allowed to pay the duty. It will stand confiscated and will be auctioned later. It is illegal even if you put the same model body. So do not consider it.
    And about engine change, it becomes legal once you produce the receipt of a registered seller who can later prove that he has paid customs on the engine or any other body part what so ever. But for a complete body swap, no dealer can and will give you any receipt of it.
    Regards

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

cross check when was body shell swap took place. If swap was done during 5 years or before, and engine chassis number in the regn book are identical to physical embossing in/over the vehicle, Pluck the vehicle from owner pay mutually agreed amount, get it transferred to your name.

IF swap is done in recent past i.e under 3 years, stay away from it.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

i tihnk it was swapped earlier than 5 yrs. but um not sure though. do you think getting a good detailed info from the isb excise and taxation isb traffic police would be a good idea?
    actually recently my cousin's prado (94 body and 93 chassis) was held by customs for 1 yr and it was an auction car. later it was let go but the bottomline is that they suffered. so thats why i am so keen into knowing it, coz dont want to get into any such situation.

regards
    Quote Originally Posted by capsat View Post
    cross check when was body shell swap took place. If swap was done during 5 years or before, and engine chassis number in the regn book are identical to physical embossing in/over the vehicle, Pluck the vehicle from owner pay mutually agreed amount, get it transferred to your name.

IF swap is done in recent past i.e under 3 years, stay away from it.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Body swap is normal man
    but
    if its a 93 model and u put body of 97 than u have to pa custom not other wiz

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

share more details please what is vehicle model & year of registration (as per registration book), and which year body shell is mounted on that chassis.
    - www.crackwheels.com - A skilled Dictator is much more beneficial to Country......than a Democracy of Ignorant people

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

thank you so much guys for the very valuable suggestions and info. i have cancelled regarding the particular LC. got verbal suggestions from many too. so in the end, decided to drop the idea.. thanks alot yall...

i do have a question though, is sportage a good or rather i should say, a reasonable option regarding a low budget tough terrain vehicle?

regards
    Dr. Ambrose

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Mentioning Sportage and lc in same post is kind of blasphemy......
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    8 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if chassis and body shell is of same model year then there is no problem in it IMHO. You face problem and have to pay custom/tax etc if the chassis is of older model as compared to the body shell.
    @capsat Correct me if I am wrong sir
    My dear ALLAH when I loose hope, help me to remember that Your love is greater than my disappointment and Your plans for my life are better than my Dreams.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Few friends have this wrong info that if the body and frame is of the same model than it's legal. It's NOT. I would again repeat that as per customs, even if the frame and body are of the same model, it is illegal. We must not confuse ourselves, "A BODY WHOSE CUSTOM IS NOT BEEN PAID, IRRESPECTIVE OF THE MODEL OF FRAME ON WHAT IT'S BEEN MOUNTED, IT'S ILLEGAL".
    And secondly, the rule of body tax payment after confiscation is no more valid as per the last SRO of customs. It will be confiscated and will be auctioned.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

@noman8ff you are right though. ironically there is some loop holes in the system with which people play around when it is about body shell variants over identical shape & different year of manufacture. as in 2004 Prado the shell shape is same with only cosmetic changes and it cannot be identified without cross match from the manufacturer.

Vigo 4x4 double cab & Prado Land cruiser 4x4 are on same frame & with almost identical power train are very common to swap in Tribal belt aka Kala dhaka. Can only be identified by the prefix code under keen eye, before registration.

Very common these days are shell swapping of Pajeros which were never noticed by customs vigilance due to small population, but now higher radar sweep and confiscation

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Hi guys. I have 2005 hilux. If I were to convert it to prado body shell .. What would the cost be concerning duty.
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    1018 Post(s)
    Tagged
    19 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if the registration book is mentioned - HI-Lux Pick up , divorce it & marry a Prado . if it is unregistered, shell swap will cost you approx 37500.00 from Kala Dhaka, KPK

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank u bro.
    Pakistan.. Toyota hilux..golf mk2 gtd..rolla 2.0d..nissian sunny.. Yamaha pw 50.. Coventry uk....audi v8 d11..golf mk2 rallye..honda crx..evo 8..golf mk2 gtd..Vauxhall insignia..

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

User Tag List