Survey by Qualaroo
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By aamirq
  • 1 Post By aamirq
  • 1 Post By arzaam.bhatti

Thread: Tappet adjustment of mini pajero help!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Tappet adjustment of mini pajero help!

i have been facing issues of vibration at idle and poor acceleration, so wanted to go for tappet or valve cover adjustment, i want to do it at home with the help of a mechanic, problem is what are the factory valve clearances of mini pajero, i searched a lot for owner and service manuals but could find none, so while doing this procedure what things do i have to keep in mind and what mistakes to avoid that mechanics typically make thanks
    If everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane!

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

how do u know that its a tappet problem? it can be a choked throttle body! besides that it can be a clogged fuel filter or worn spark plugs! how can u directly assume that its a tappet problem?
    if it was a tappet problem one of the problem you would face would be long ignitions to start the car!
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by aamirq View Post
    how do u know that its a tappet problem? it can be a choked throttle body! besides that it can be a clogged fuel filter or worn spark plugs! how can u directly assume that its a tappet problem?
    if it was a tappet problem one of the problem you would face would be long ignitions to start the car!
    the throttle body was cleaned just a month ago, spark lugs were also changed, it takes two revolutions of the motor to start the car though not major

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

main issue was sluggish acceleration and vibration at idle, is it worthwhile to mess with the setting or not, as per my knowledge it has never been done?
    can fuel filter increase accerlation? car revs perfectly even to redline without missing or hesitation

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

a new fuel filter insures free flow of fuel to the injectors! bcoz fuel flows from the fuel pump to the fuel filter and from there it flows ahead to the injectors! ur car has been driven kitna km? change of fuel filter ul feel the car feels n moves alot more freely! vibration at idle means choked throttle body and choked IACV coz tht controls the idle when the car is standing stationary!
    a choked airfilter will even cause sluggish acceleration because the engine isnt able to breath freely hence it has to try harder meaning more fuel has to be injected and when more fuel is injected and there is less air the mixture becomes rich leading to fouled spark plugs and carbon in the exhaust!(black smoke)
    "The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very ruff, mean place, and no matter how tuff you think you are, it will always bring you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it.You or nobody ain't never gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain't about how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward, how much you can take and keep moving forward. If you know what you're worth, go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hit."
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

a new fuel filter insures free flow of fuel to the injectors! bcoz fuel flows from the fuel pump to the fuel filter and from there it flows ahead to the injectors! ur car has been driven kitna km? change of fuel filter ul feel the car feels n moves alot more freely! vibration at idle means choked throttle body and choked IACV coz tht controls the idle when the car is standing stationary!
    a choked airfilter will even cause sluggish acceleration because the engine isnt able to breath freely hence it has to try harder meaning more fuel has to be injected and when more fuel is injected and there is less air the mixture becomes rich leading to fouled spark plugs and carbon in the exhaust!(black smoke)
    Car odo is 48000km but I know fro doing preventative maintainence changing timing belt it has drone around 70-80k
    The spark plugs had not fouled when they were replaced and there is no smoke from exhaust infact it throws water
    I actually don't want to go for tappet adjustment especially without factory tolerances because it seems to drives fine maybe I usually drive 1.8 so 660cc non turbo feels especially underpowered
    The airfilter is also new
    So do you recommend staying away from tappet adjustment keeping in mind the symptoms are not really there ?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

have the fuel filter and fuel pump checked! and which engine oil u using? if ur car is auto have u ever changed the ATF of it?
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

have the fuel filter and fuel pump checked! and which engine oil u using? if ur car is auto have u ever changed the ATF of it?
    Engine oil is liqui moly mos2 10w-40 and yes ATF was also changed two months ago with correct Sp-II/III spec
    Used liqui moly top tech 1200ATF which supports the above spec
    I had a transmission issue which was solved by changing the oil

By the way today I also had the car scanned there were two previous idle control errors which were cleared and now no more vibration at idle
    Rest all was Fine
    The two error were caused by somebody adjusting the idle stop screw by hand

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if ur not facing vibration at idle anymore then whats the problem?
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Fuel pump I do suspect to be weak as if petrol drops slow below there is idling issue and sluggish accerlation
    That would require opening up the tank
    So for now driving with petrol above half
    Can I keep driving like this or will changing fuel pump along with filter will have a noticeable effect otherwise in accerlation
    Drove the car like this from Rawalpindi to Lahore and it seemed fine no problems so didn't mess with the pump it wid have to be replaced by a kabli part anyway

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if ur not facing vibration at idle anymore then whats the problem?
    Sluggish accleration and AC really causes lot of power loss
    Previously it wasn't this slow and AC didn't effect much

Wanted to go for tappet adjustment as preventative
    But I think I should stay away from it or from any other mechanical work for now also
    What do you recommend

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

weak fuel pump will cause sputter (gadi ghuttay gi)when ur going up hill and secondly its gng to give bad mileage! and a choked fuel filter will result in loss of performance!
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

if there is any reliable workshop there get the tappets done from there! if u here any tik tik tik tik sound that means ur tappets are loose and if not there is a possibility that ur tappets are tight and will need adjustment!
    - Sylvester Stallone

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

weak fuel pump will cause sputter (gadi ghuttay gi)when ur going up hill and secondly its gng to give bad mileage! and a choked fuel filter will result in loss of performance!
    Thanks for your help and no there is no sputtering up hill even will full throttle

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Help!

Fellow pakwheelers!
    I am also a mini pajero owner since nearly two years now. Love it!
    However, I've run into some trouble now and I'm really hoping that some of you guys can provide some assistance or the details of a solid, reliable and honest mechanic in lahore to sort out my car troubles.
    You see I've only just moved to lahore a couple of months ago and as such am clueless as to mechanics/market etc of lahore. All I know is that Bilalganj is the goto for parts. Aside from that am not familiar with any good mechanic or anything.

The trouble I'm having is as a result of the heavy rains of the past few days. Unfortunately, it seems that my roof is leaky and a fair bit of water made it into the car. Most probably from the roof/windshield edges. However, it was the floor that was most wet. Particularly on the driver's side but also on the passenger side, the floor was soaked.

This is what's happening:
    Day-1 following night of heavy rain: inserted the key to start the car. Car started as normal but only stayed on for about 5-10 seconds and then switched off. Tried this many times but always the same result. Tried to start, quickly put in reverse to moves the car from puddle but again switched off.
    Day-3 following plenty of rains: car won't start as easily anymore. Needs kicks to gas peddle and then switches on. But same story. Stays on a few seconds, then there is a 'click' sound and again car switches off. Also, the A/T Temp and check engine light comes on.
    Now I'm not sure what to do or how to go about this. I cannot drive the car, so cannot take it to a garage. I would like to get a hold of a good mechanic who can bring the scanner/diagnostic tool to my place and confirm where the error is and then rectify that.

Please can anyone suggest a good person who can help me. Or any suggestions regarding what to do.
    Am in need of some serious help!!!

Thanks guys,

Haider.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

What is your engine variant? is it 660cc turbo, if yes
    the is it 16 valve or 20 valved intercooled,
    will try my best to sort out your problem

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Tappet adjustment of mini pajero help!

Quote Originally Posted by haroon_1 View Post
    What is your engine variant? is it 660cc turbo, if yes
    the is it 16 valve or 20 valved intercooled,
    will try my best to sort out your problem
    Thanks for trying to help the problem was solved there was no need for adjustment of tappets, the poor idle was solved by using a scanner and setting idle properly using it plus changing battery to dry Bosch as alternator was causing load

i will be sure to let you know in case of any further problem thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 5S using PW Forums

+ Reply to Thread

User Tag List