Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Default Advice/suggestion regarding SUV/4x4

Assalamu alaikum

I am considering buying a SUV/4x4 and would really like some advice.
    Basically,I want a vehicle which I can drive to far flung areas where there are no proper roads.I am not into serious offroading as a hobby but I want my vehicle to be a fairly good and sturdy offroader as to travel in rough areas.
    I was considering Pajero,Toyota surf, Prado,

Here are the requirements:
    1)Ideally should not be older than 1999-2000 model. I think my budget allows uptill 2005,2006 models.
    2) Very Durable and reliable,should not give problems and should not require much maintenance. (keep in mind I travel to remote areas where a mechanic might not be available).
    3)Manual transmission and diesel.
    4)Should not give problems if driven for long distances in very hot and cold weather.(I heard that Pajero has issues when driven in hot weather for long periods.)
    5)Does NOT have to be very comfortable or "nice-looking" or stylish interior.
    6)Should be good for driving in sand in desert areas of Southern KPK eg lakki marwat,dera ismail khan.
    7)Overall a good off-roader.

Thanks.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Friends, what about the Land Rover Defender? The 2013 model(almost brand new) is available for 35-40 lacs. 2007 model is around 25 lacs.
    There is no doubt that it is a great off-roader.Do you suggest it?
    Is it reliable and durable?
    Any overheating issues with the engine when driven for long period in hot weather?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by javedikhan1 View Post
    Friends, what about the Land Rover Defender? The 2013 model(almost brand new) is available for 35-40 lacs. 2007 model is around 25 lacs.
    There is no doubt that it is a great off-roader.Do you suggest it?
    Is it reliable and durable?
    Any overheating issues with the engine when driven for long period in hot weather?
    Bro Ive got no idea about the prices of Surf, but have Idea it is a tough SUV, and about Land Rover, it is also a very tough SUV, about overheating issues, have not come across this information.

Sent from my HUAWEI Y300-0100 using PW Forums mobile app

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Read an article,it looks as if the Land Rover users in the UK and abroad are not satisfied.It has issues and is expensive to maintain.
    I guess Toyota is my best shot.A brand new Vigo would be great but it has stability issues.Hence a 2000,2001 Surf would do a better job.
    Thanks.

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3989 Post(s)
    Tagged
    94 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

LR Defender is a true to the soul solid offroad truck, It also means that it requires the driver to be a true hard core offroad hunter type. Its not a vehicle for the plain jane category. e.g. it does not have a padded dashboard in it.

Its mechanicals are very beefy and heavy - so please keep in mind that your mechanic should have a proper truck sized tool kit and a service lift for ease. Simple example is that if your mechanic thinks he can remove the manual trans + centre diff without a transmission jack or insanely long extension pieces - he is dillusioned.

Also remember that because of its capability it can go where most other trucks fail, so remember that if it gets stuck - its somewhere that most trucks fail to reach - meaning you are the sole rescue team or you should have a LR rescue team.
    ZRS - Zulfiqar Racing Systems ..... - professionals at work - at crackwheels.com

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Xulfiqar View Post
    LR Defender is a true to the soul solid offroad truck, It also means that it requires the driver to be a true hard core offroad hunter type. Its not a vehicle for the plain jane category. e.g. it does not have a padded dashboard in it.

Its mechanicals are very beefy and heavy - so please keep in mind that your mechanic should have a proper truck sized tool kit and a service lift for ease. Simple example is that if your mechanic thinks he can remove the manual trans + centre diff without a transmission jack or insanely long extension pieces - he is dillusioned.

Also remember that because of its capability it can go where most other trucks fail, so remember that if it gets stuck - its somewhere that most trucks fail to reach - meaning you are the sole rescue team or you should have a LR rescue team.
    Xulfiqar brother, I have some questions for you.
    Basically I do know that the Land Rover defender is a great off-roader,and I would really like to go for it if some of my reservations are cleared.
    But I have heard and read articles that people abroad are not happy with the reliability of the Land Rover Defender.They say that it breaks down a lot and is expensive to maintain. Whats your opinion on that?
    Secondly,as you probably know from my first post, that I am not into professional off-roading.but I really like the LR Defender and its probably my favourite right now. But I want a vehicle which is "unbreakable".. I was initially interested in the Pajero but then I was told that it has overheating issues if driven for a long period in hot weather. Does the LR Defender also have overheating issues? I don't want it to break down when I am driving for several hours on motorway in summer.
    (One thing I love about the LR Defender is that its relatively cheap so i can get a new model also,compared to the toyota vehicles)
    Hope you'll answer my questions.thanks.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Any replies?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Forget about defender. Buy a 100 series Land Cruiser or New Surf nothing else.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Xulfiqar brother, I have some questions for you.
    Basically I do know that the Land Rover defender is a great off-roader,and I would really like to go for it if some of my reservations are cleared.
    But I have heard and read articles that people abroad are not happy with the reliability of the Land Rover Defender.They say that it breaks down a lot and is expensive to maintain. Whats your opinion on that?
    Secondly,as you probably know from my first post, that I am not into professional off-roading.but I really like the LR Defender and its probably my favourite right now. But I want a vehicle which is "unbreakable".. I was initially interested in the Pajero but then I was told that it has overheating issues if driven for a long period in hot weather. Does the LR Defender also have overheating issues? I don't want it to break down when I am driving for several hours on motorway in summer.
    (One thing I love about the LR Defender is that its relatively cheap so i can get a new model also,compared to the toyota vehicles)
    Hope you'll answer my questions.thanks.
    runnin on motorway in summer for hours is a walk in the park. but all suvs aren't meant for speed(by speed i mean top speed and floored driving all the time). *overheated a 1996 double cabin diesel hilux on my way from lahore to islamabad 2 years ago with full time ac and maxing at 140kph for a long period* other than that it used to run great.
    Bella, You give me everything just by REVing - NEONLIGHT SAGA: NEWTUBE

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Go for a GX Land Cruiser 100 series, 1998-2002/3. Manual gear, with non turbo 1 Hz beast of an engine, keeping it simple
    Dual fuel tanks etc. Perfect vehicle for your description. Routine maintenance

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

If you have a budget of 4 million(which is substantial) you can find a very good 120 Series Toyota Land Cruiser or may be a good 100 Series aswell.

Who can differ with Xulfiqar....but as the saying goes

IF YOU WANT TO GO OFFROADING TAKE A LAND ROVER
    BUT IF YOU PLAN TO COME BACK ALSO, THEN TAKE LAND CRUISER
    -

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Thank you very much everyone for the wonderful advice and suggestions.
    my mind is more clear now.
    A 100 series land Cruiser it is ,in manual transmission.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Brothers,do you think that the Toyota Prado enjoys the same qualities of reliability and durability and "unbreakable-ity" as does the Land Cruiser and Hilux?
    Is Prado 2000-2002 a good option?

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Yes its great, I believe you are talking about old shape which is available from 18-25. 1kz engine is a good one too.
    RIP

Senior PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Get a 100 series Toyota Landcruiser which has 1HD-FTE or 1HZ, very solid engines but 100 series is mostly with auto. I will advice you to buy KZJ-70 you'll get a good one under 15 and it has great torque can go anywhere and most of 70 series parts are available because 70 series is still built in Japan and sold in UAE australia KSA so overall Land Cruiser 70 with diesel engine is very good. I had one with 1KZ-TE and it was one tough jeep.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

In my opinion,
    Nissan Patrol is a decent off-road vehicle. It has a very strong chassis and a durable engine. Parts are available easily in almost all large cities. The drawback to it is that, its not as comfortable as a Toyota but the Nissan build is nuke-proof. Second of all mechanics don't know jack sh*t how to service it. Most of them are beaten and abused to repair a Toyota in their "shagirdee" days. Nissan requires 5hrs of maintenance each week (Solely MY OPINION, others might differ)

Pajero is a very finicky vehicle, chassis is on the softer side compared to the TOYota and Nissan. Engine is factory maxed out to a point where tinkering with it causes it to collapse. It also lacks in power in the low rpm range but the bloody things drives like a car and properly running Super Select II 4wd system beats any other 4wd system to its knees. Requires at least 10hrs of maintenance each week

Norm of our day is to buy a TOYota or be branded as an infidel by a "fatwa" and **** off to hell. To an extent the majority is right. Toyota has built its reputation upon its quality and manufacturing. It is so popular in Pakistan that even a "dhaba" operator in the middle of nowhere has some Toyota parts. Then again Toyota hasn't come up with anything radical since the 60s. Reliability in Simplicity.

The question lies within ones own desire. Toyota's are boring for me as they have the same old stuff different package. Nissan's are built for heavy duty service, no comfort but that damn thing hard to kill even if you drowned it (speaking from personal experience). Pajero's in my opinion are a great 4x4 but they are more like women, you never know what they have waiting for you around the corner. They need pampering to run fine, the reward in return is a bit more like satisfaction and joy.

Just my 2 cents.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by ahmedraja1996 View Post
    Get a 100 series Toyota Landcruiser which has 1HD-FTE or 1HZ, very solid engines but 100 series is mostly with auto. I will advice you to buy KZJ-70 you'll get a good one under 15 and it has great torque can go anywhere and most of 70 series parts are available because 70 series is still built in Japan and sold in UAE australia KSA so overall Land Cruiser 70 with diesel engine is very good. I had one with 1KZ-TE and it was one tough jeep.
    Ahmed Raja bro,some questions for you.
    1)Which year 70 series are you referring to that I will get under 15 lacs?
    2)How much would a brand new (2013-14 model) cost?(both 3 door as well as 5 door)
    3)Whats the top speed of 70 series?
    4)How is it comfort wise? I know its no luxury vehicle but still...

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sherwan_88 View Post
    In my opinion,
    Nissan Patrol is a decent off-road vehicle. It has a very strong chassis and a durable engine. Parts are available easily in almost all large cities. The drawback to it is that, its not as comfortable as a Toyota but the Nissan build is nuke-proof. Second of all mechanics don't know jack sh*t how to service it. Most of them are beaten and abused to repair a Toyota in their "shagirdee" days. Nissan requires 5hrs of maintenance each week (Solely MY OPINION, others might differ)

Pajero is a very finicky vehicle, chassis is on the softer side compared to the TOYota and Nissan. Engine is factory maxed out to a point where tinkering with it causes it to collapse. It also lacks in power in the low rpm range but the bloody things drives like a car and properly running Super Select II 4wd system beats any other 4wd system to its knees. Requires at least 10hrs of maintenance each week

Norm of our day is to buy a TOYota or be branded as an infidel by a "fatwa" and **** off to hell. To an extent the majority is right. Toyota has built its reputation upon its quality and manufacturing. It is so popular in Pakistan that even a "dhaba" operator in the middle of nowhere has some Toyota parts. Then again Toyota hasn't come up with anything radical since the 60s. Reliability in Simplicity.

The question lies within ones own desire. Toyota's are boring for me as they have the same old stuff different package. Nissan's are built for heavy duty service, no comfort but that damn thing hard to kill even if you drowned it (speaking from personal experience). Pajero's in my opinion are a great 4x4 but they are more like women, you never know what they have waiting for you around the corner. They need pampering to run fine, the reward in return is a bit more like satisfaction and joy.

Just my 2 cents.
    Whoa,that was a detailed comparison.
    Brother, whats your take on the 70 series land cruiser?

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by qwertypoiu View Post
    Yes its great, I believe you are talking about old shape which is available from 18-25. 1kz engine is a good one too.
    Prado vs 70 series???
    Any info on the price of 70 series would be appreciated,because i cannot search it on pakWheels.

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Quote Originally Posted by sherwan_88 View Post
    In my opinion,

Pajero's in my opinion are a great 4x4 but they are more like women, you never know what they have waiting for you around the corner. They need pampering to run fine, the reward in return is a bit more like satisfaction and joy.

Just my 2 cents.
    @sherwan_88

BEST PAJERO REVIEW, EVER!
    MEN DO IT AT DAKAR!!!

PakWheeler Follow
    Follows
    Following
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Problems Posted
    Problems Solved
    Best Answers
    Good Answers

Whoa,that was a detailed comparison.
    Brother, whats your take on the 70 series land cruiser?
    70 series is a based on a commercial chassis, strong but it is so uncomfortable to a point where you have to visit a spine doctor every three months. 1KZ-TE is touted as solid turbo diesel but in reality it does not develop the amount of power it should for the amount of diesel it burns. 70 series is best used as a commercial vehicle, not suited for a SUV or a Premium 4x4.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

User Tag List